Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Volmarias posted:

Gosh, they sure did get bit with that $10k price it's hovering around.

Plenty of people made money buying at $15k and selling at $19k, too!

I don't equate 'made a profit' with 'made a smart decision'. Bitcoin is Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
That's how Ponzi schemes work too. The scheme wouldn't grow if it didn't pay good returns.

And buying a lottery ticket was still a bad decision even if you win the jackpot.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Jesus, taking this thread as a reminder to never ever ever buy a home under an HOA.

Read the HOA rules, then walk around the neighborhood and chat with people before buying into one. Look for obvious violations where people straight up don't give a poo poo and nobody calls them out on it. The more of these, the better (within reason; look out for things indicating you'd be living with utter assholes, of course). Decorations that don't adhere to the rules, garbage cans out too late in the day, garage doors open showing off a garage-built bar/TV room, cars being worked on, etc etc. Other good examples are if you know there's a breed restriction or pet quantity limit and you see people openly flaunting it. Chat with people out and about and see what their views on the HOA are. Also, look for minorities. The more of them, the better too. Sure, Karen and Ken aren't exclusively a white thing, but you have better odds with fewer white people.

No guarantees of course, but that's at least going to give you an idea. If you see nothing out of line in the neighborhood and everyone following all the rules, or (even worse) violation notifications on people's doors, run for the hills.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm just going to buy where you can get a nice 3 bedroom house for about the price of a month's rent in the Bay area but still commute to real jobs. Aka Nashua. Screw HOAs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sundae posted:

Also, look for minorities. The more of them, the better too.

"I'm looking at HOA communities because I want to live in a safe neighborhood."

Edit: Not an HOA, but when I lived in DC I had people tell me that they thought Mount Pleasant (Average income: $134k, 41% have a Master's Degree or higher, lower than average crime, 26% hispanic, and 21% black) was "sketchy" and "not a safe neighborhood" because there were so many signs in Spanish.

Lots of people also said Georgetown was the best neighborhood because "there's no metro stops and hardly any bus stops" there.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 29, 2020

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"I'm looking at HOA communities because I want to live in a safe neighborhood."

Edit: Not an HOA, but when I lived in DC I had people tell me that they thought Mount Pleasant (Average income: $134k, 41% have a Master's Degree or higher, lower than average crime, 26% hispanic, and 21% black) was "sketchy" and "not a safe neighborhood" because there were so many signs in Spanish.

Lots of people also said Georgetown was the best neighborhood because "there's no metro stops and hardly any bus stops" there.

Georgetown median home value is $1.2M. median income, including students at the university, is $102k.

I had to stop talking about neighborhoods and stuff with one coworker who moved from DC to Arlington because DC was "scary." (I moved from Arlington to DC. It's not scary.)

DC is wonderful overall, but the home prices, incomes, and fears of black/brown people are crazy. I had awful sticker shock moving to this area after living in a small Texas town.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any someone wants to know how "safe" a neighborhood is you should go ahead and do a mental search + replace for "not black".

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Gosh, they sure did get bit with that $10k price it's hovering around.

The average person who bought in at $1k or after will have lost money in the end. There's no value being added so the only money coming out is money being put in by others.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1277406885814165504?s=20

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Griefor posted:

The average person who bought in at $1k or after will have lost money in the end. There's no value being added so the only money coming out is money being put in by others.

Additionally these days most people in are either true believers or randos who saw it in the news but don't know how it works. Those who have been in from the beginning and haven't cashed out already have either been exit scammed by exchanges, had their key lost/hacked, or will never sell because they believe in satoshis dream/will always greed out for a higher peak. The rest are like my wife's coworker and only found out about bitcoin when the news was reporting "insane growth!!!!!" and bought in at a peak.

Those folks are definitely glad that it climbed from 20k to 10k as Volmarias stated. Wowee what an investment.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 29, 2020

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

You boys just wait for bubble number five!

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

FateFree posted:

You boys just wait for bubble number five!

One, two, three, four, five
Every rig is mining, come on let's ride
To the parts store around the corner
The boys say they want some graphics cards
But I really don't wanna
Lights out like I had last week
Better sell coins because talk is cheap
I like Litecoin, Tether, Stellar, Ethereum
And as I continue you know they getting sweeter
So what can I do? I really beg you my Lord
To me mining is just like a sport
It's all good, let me dump it, please set in the trumpet

A little bit of Litecoin in my life
A little bit of Tether by my side
A little bit of Bitcoin is all I need
A little bit of Ethereum is what I see
A little bit of Cosmos in the sun
A little bit of Stellar all night long
A little bit of Dogecoin, here I am
A little bit of you makes me your man

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Read the HOA rules, then walk around the neighborhood and chat with people before buying into one. Look for obvious violations where people straight up don't give a poo poo and nobody calls them out on it. The more of these, the better (within reason; look out for things indicating you'd be living with utter assholes, of course). Decorations that don't adhere to the rules, garbage cans out too late in the day, garage doors open showing off a garage-built bar/TV room, cars being worked on, etc etc. Other good examples are if you know there's a breed restriction or pet quantity limit and you see people openly flaunting it. Chat with people out and about and see what their views on the HOA are. Also, look for minorities. The more of them, the better too. Sure, Karen and Ken aren't exclusively a white thing, but you have better odds with fewer white people.

No guarantees of course, but that's at least going to give you an idea. If you see nothing out of line in the neighborhood and everyone following all the rules, or (even worse) violation notifications on people's doors, run for the hills.

None of this tells you how the HOA will conduct itself at any point in the future, and you have little (1/<number of units>) chance of doing anything about that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Motronic posted:

None of this tells you how the HOA will conduct itself at any point in the future, and you have little (1/<number of units>) chance of doing anything about that.

Given that my rant early on in HOA talk may have spurred on this derail:

gently caress HOAs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not exactly directly BWM, but our comptroller is one of those people that is absolutely furious at the idea that someone, somewhere, is getting more than they "deserve" at any moment.

She is also somewhat of a bootlicker/penny-pincher who spends every quarterly meeting offering up strict benefit cuts that even the management doesn't want to do. Most of these are insanely small or insanely rare instances that don't save any meaningful amount of money in the long-run (like monitoring the reams of paper and number of paper clips taken from the supply closet by each individual person) and she gets no personal reward or benefit from these changes.

She sent a follow-up email asking us to change the name of the "week on/week off" schedule because people are WORKING from home and aren't "OFF" during their off week.

She is in charge of budgetary and spending matters; not administration or management. But, she is obsessed with making sure that every bit of "value" is being used properly by management or else we are "losing money" on it.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

That's the first time I've seen the term wage theft used to describe the employee stealing from the employer rather than the other way around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Holy poo poo :stare:

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

This person is a psychopath and should 100% be prevented from gaining any additional power in any organization.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

General Probe posted:

This person is a psychopath and should 100% be prevented from gaining any additional power in any organization.

She's already the comptroller, which is the highest position you can be in the Accounting/Auditing department.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Holy crap that is loving awful.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Has anyone called her a oval office and poo poo on her desk recently?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

She's already the comptroller, which is the highest position you can be in the Accounting/Auditing department.

Excuse me, that's spelled controller

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Photex posted:

Has anyone called her a oval office and poo poo on her desk recently?

I don't think that word is appreciated around here

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

I don't think that word is appreciated around here

I call it like I see it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My fiancees boss tried to do the "working from home and that should be a sick day" thing and it got shut down real fast. gently caress that nonsense

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think the first line item are people who are volunteering to not come into the office, but who are not working from home. So they have to use one day from their months of accumulated PTO that they acquired with the long con of getting 3 earned freeloading months of income when they retire.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Jesus loving Christ. It's "abusing the privilege" to save up your sick days. gently caress this person in the ear with a claw hammer.

And the bit about having to justify periods of network inactivity is hilariously dumb. If I'm sitting there doing work I'm not lighting up the network, because I'm doing work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If they volunteered to stay home I assume its for reduced or no pay. If they use a sick day they should get full pay. I dunno, I'm confused by that.

I have been turned to the dark side in that I prefer "use it or lose it" PTO. If you let people cash out sick time, it gives incentive to come into the office sick and spread vileness (especially where WFH is not feasible/allowed). Similar with vacation time, it really promotes burn out. I think the best answer is to give generous amounts of PTO but hold people to use it and not stash it. If you leave the company you should get paid out but the "I've been saving up my sick time for 5 years" people are the same people spreading crap every flu season.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Part of it is on managers to encourage people to use their days.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Phanatic posted:

And the bit about having to justify periods of network inactivity is hilariously dumb. If I'm sitting there doing work I'm not lighting up the network, because I'm doing work.

Worked a job once where the manager in charge of the support contract brought on someone who ... well, it wasn't really clear what his role was. Eventually it came out his main responsibility was watching Skype and noting when people went idle/active.

I installed an application that moved my mouse that day.

e: And was already looking for other jobs, not implying that was anything other than a stopgap.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 29, 2020

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Not exactly directly BWM, but our comptroller is one of those people that is absolutely furious at the idea that someone, somewhere, is getting more than they "deserve" at any moment.

She is also somewhat of a bootlicker/penny-pincher who spends every quarterly meeting offering up strict benefit cuts that even the management doesn't want to do. Most of these are insanely small or insanely rare instances that don't save any meaningful amount of money in the long-run (like monitoring the reams of paper and number of paper clips taken from the supply closet by each individual person) and she gets no personal reward or benefit from these changes.

She sent a follow-up email asking us to change the name of the "week on/week off" schedule because people are WORKING from home and aren't "OFF" during their off week.

She is in charge of budgetary and spending matters; not administration or management. But, she is obsessed with making sure that every bit of "value" is being used properly by management or else we are "losing money" on it.

Suggest that, if she really wishes to make some serious savings for the company, she should quit, not take any financial packages from the company, and not replace her position.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think the first line item are people who are volunteering to not come into the office, but who are not working from home. So they have to use one day from their months of accumulated PTO that they acquired with the long con of getting 3 earned freeloading months of income when they retire.

Basically. We have mandatory capacity reductions (25% of full staff, 50% of full staff, 75% of full staff, 100% of full staff) as we move through the reopening plan.

Some people had to be sent home to meet those numbers and there are some people whose job requires them to be in the office, but there is nothing that they would normally do on the reduced schedule. So, those people are at home, but also unable to work from home.

Someone just retired recently with several months of vacation and maximum sick time and that is what has caused her to flip out about that.

Revenue is way down because of COVID and she had to pay out this person the equivalent of 3-4 months of their salary at once. So, she is going crazy to save money in every way possible. Being very concerned about money right now is reasonable, but her usual extreme skimpiness has gone into overdrive.

The PTO changes and providing proof that you were in the office until your scheduled leave time are things she has been on about for at least 4 years. I think she just threw them in for consistency.

Gonna be a fun meeting.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Lockback posted:

I have been turned to the dark side in that I prefer "use it or lose it" PTO. If you let people cash out sick time, it gives incentive to come into the office sick and spread vileness (especially where WFH is not feasible/allowed). Similar with vacation time, it really promotes burn out. I think the best answer is to give generous amounts of PTO but hold people to use it and not stash it. If you leave the company you should get paid out but the "I've been saving up my sick time for 5 years" people are the same people spreading crap every flu season.

Yessss, this. There should be unlimited sick time and if you come into the office while sick you should be tazed until you go home again. Every year we have immunocompromised people having to yell at the idiots trying to kill them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Part of it is on managers to encourage people to use their days.

100% agree.

Followup on the Zoom drinking thing. Still sounds super made up to me.

quote:

I got a phone call from my boss over the weekend apologising!

Apparently the email was sent to all zoom users mail group within the company and it was supposed to go to only a couple of people who got very drunk and abusive - sexist and racist during a Friday afternoon drinks session. Some body parts were also waved about!

Apparently zoom meetings are not recorded but the manager where the people were being rude started to record his meeting!

I asked him if he was drinking and he says he was. I need to find out where the rumours that they were drinking apple juice cane from.

This afternoon access to works systems have been restored and there is an email form HR confirming that the original email was sent to the whole group in error and confirming that social team building alcoholic drinks are acceptable but to be wary of those in the workforce that don’t drink for health, religious or other reasons and to ensure all are included.

Don’t know what to think really and expect that this Fridays meeting will be a little on the subdued side!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A very French Ponzi scheme

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/21/business/aristophil-lheritier-rare-books.html

quote:

Actually, the sale was a fiasco, or, more precisely, one part of an ongoing fiasco. All of the items came from a now-defunct company, Aristophil, which starting in 2002 built one of the largest collections of rare books, autographs and manuscripts in history — some 136,000 pieces in all.

Six years ago, the French authorities shut down Aristophil and arrested Mr. Lhéritier, charging him with fraud and accusing him of orchestrating what amounts to a highbrow Ponzi scheme. As he bought all those rare manuscripts and letters, he had them appraised, divided their putative value into shares and sold them as if they were stock in a corporation. Those shares were bought by 18,000 people, many of them elderly and of modest means, who collectively invested about $1 billion.

The authorities seized the entire collection and hired a company to catalog and auction off all 136,000 pieces, a process that will take years and hundreds of sales, just like the one in November. The hope is to return as much money as possible to investors, which, based on the more than two dozen auctions already held, will amount to perhaps 10 cents on the dollar.

The problem has nothing to do with quality. Everything in the collection is authentic, and a large part of it is highly coveted. But the authorities say that with the help of pliant experts, Mr. Lhéritier grossly inflated the value of pieces before he sold shares in them. A set of Einstein documents he bought from Christie’s in 2002 for $560,000, for instance, was divided into hundreds of shares and sold at a valuation of $13 million.

Do you want to buy shares in Mark Twain's letters, Isaac Newton's original notes, and a handwritten speech by John F. Kennedy?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lockback posted:

Followup on the Zoom drinking thing. Still sounds super made up to me.

That definitely feels like a CYA story once someone in legal got wind of the nonsense. Inadvertently sending out a sensitive e-mail to a larger group? Sure, that happens. Actually going through the process of terminating their access? That was not an accident.

Background since I think this actually came up in a different thread:

Lockback posted:

This seems likely made up, and what I know about UK employment law it will absolutely fail on the part of the manager, but I still found it hilarious.

Team Sacked for drinking in office hours

England

We all work from home due to CV19

Every week since lockdown our manager in a very large company (10k employees) has invited us for a Friday afternoon beer on Zoom.

We all get a cold beer from the fridge and have a chat about the week’s events.

The meetings start at 1600 and finishes at 1700 - office hours.

After this weeks meeting we all got an email from HR saying our manager had video of us drinking in office hours over several weeks and that we are being dismissed immediately for gross misconduct without notice.

One of my colleagues says when my manager poured himself a wine it was grape juice.

Our contracts do state that drinking on duty is a sackable offence!

We were clearly set up!

Is this legal?

All of us have been working for over 5 years and the company usually pays enhanced redundancy but will not pay anything now, not even notice pay!

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Worked a job once where the manager in charge of the support contract brought on someone who ... well, it wasn't really clear what his role was. Eventually it came out his main responsibility was watching Skype and noting when people went idle/active.

I installed an application that moved my mouse that day.

I hate that mindset. I'm working remote and I use a handful of applications through Citrix, but I also use my local install of Office because it's just faster and better than a remote application IMO. Same for MS Teams. I could be working for a long period of time and not ping our network. Luckily my job seems to value results and hitting deadlines more than monitoring idle time. Well, lucky until we get in a situation where someone can't comprehend that even though the spreadsheet says X, we are actually looking at Y due to Z circumstances that everyone was aware of. Critical thinking goes out the window when Excel changes a cell to RED HIGHLIGHT.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Aside from the obvious insanity, I notice she references employment contracts. If such contracts actually exist and she's not just being a powertripping rear end in a top hat, they would supersede whatever she is trying to impose.

Also that part about office supplies is insane. The time it takes someone to track down the key, unlock the cabinet, fill out the log form, and return the key is way more valuable than an extra pack of staples.

Please do consider sending this to Alison at Askamanager.org. She'll sometimes publish crazy letters like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dik Hz posted:

Also that part about office supplies is insane. The time it takes someone to track down the key, unlock the cabinet, fill out the log form, and return the key is way more valuable than an extra pack of staples.

Bad news, friend.

The supply sign-out chart went into effect on Friday. Too late to stop that one.