Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
that clip of hidalgo from friday was on all the sunday shows this morning, wonder how pissed abbott is going to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

poemdexter posted:

It's very much available at Tom Thumb.

And also Market Street.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1277320777612828676

:thunk:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sir Tonk posted:

that clip of hidalgo from friday was on all the sunday shows this morning, wonder how pissed abbott is going to be

Gonna lol when Abbott is unseated by a 30 year old immigrant.

(Note what will actually happen is Biden will win and 2022 will be a bloodbath for Dems in Texas as Republicans kill it when having a totem to fight against - Hidalgo may run but will lose by 20)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been somewhat skeptical of how the top ten rule actually impacts student populations but now that we have some long term data on it, looks like it worked out well.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1277358675884158976

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Well, poo poo.

(From Sugar Land, TX)

Just found out my brother's family is now in quarantine. My 15yr old niece went to a softball conditioning camp for her school's team, and another girl's mom, who apparently was fully aware that her daughter interacted with a covid positive family member, still let her daughter attend the camp as well. The school later notified the parents of the entire team of the situation, and everyone who attended the camp is now under quarantine.

They've all been tested, and are waiting for results. My oldest nephew, 22, has already tested negative; my sister in law sound like she is showing flu-like symptoms, my younger nephew, 16,was having headaches, and my niece was having hot flashes of the sort and some stomach aches. Nothing more serious than those symptoms thankfully.

From what I've been told at the hospital I work at, covid positive patients that can quarantine at home are given meds and told to ride it out for two weeks until symptoms clear, so I assume even if their result come back positive, they'll just have to stay home still and basically let the disease exhaust itself?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

https://imgur.com/qR66gRn

Edit: I don't know how to forum

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

drunk mutt posted:

Just needed to imgtag the actual image

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
More to report from Austin.

We’ve had a coworker call out today experiencing flu like symptoms. Supervision has passed it off as “well, the man has asthma and with the Saharan winds it’s probably because of that,” which I’m not exactly buying because two others have asthma and are at work with no symptoms.

We still have another coworker out for another week in quarantine but says so far he feels fine.

Any area that has had a possible infected person working in it I’ve abandoned until it can be disinfected and sanitized.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RepStickland/status/1277439739583397891?s=20

:yum:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's fun seeing Sticky and Rinaldi as powerless whining reply guys in comments now. Konni Burton too.

https://twitter.com/melissataboada/status/1277615686479761408

lmao you poor fuckers

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If the end result is we teach the kids something more useful than what a bunch of people with chlamydia looked like then this will be a good thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was oofing more at the 300 zoom testimonials about how George Soros wants to fund education for what glory holes are rather than the opportunity for better sex and health education in public schools (which will also not happen)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol wut

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

FoolyCharged posted:

If the end result is we teach the kids something more useful than what a bunch of people with chlamydia looked like then this will be a good thing.

Not just sex education but basic health education is abysmal. We teach kids complex algebra but not what a gallbladder is.

Financial education too.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Arcella posted:

Not just sex education but basic health education is abysmal. We teach kids complex algebra but not what a gallbladder is.

Financial education too.

To be fair, Financial Education as it existed when I was in highschool was "Actually, Adjustable Rate Mortgages are the smart option for savvy investors! Your property will be worth far more than your loan is in 10 years!". I'm not sure I want kids learning that poo poo.

drunk mutt posted:

https://imgur.com/qR66gRn

fortunately, I do

also lol @ the idea that Austin PD actually somehow spent 3 grand on cheetos for victims of domestic violence

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Marxalot posted:

To be fair, Financial Education as it existed when I was in highschool was "Actually, Adjustable Rate Mortgages are the smart option for savvy investors! Your property will be worth far more than your loan is in 10 years!". I'm not sure I want kids learning that poo poo.

fortunately, I do

also lol @ the idea that Austin PD actually somehow spent 3 grand on cheetos for victims of domestic violence

I love “skis, jet”

Skis of the jet variety

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Marxalot posted:

Fair enough, they'd probably just do Dave Ramsey.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1277627230160642050

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The original tweet asks how that "stay at home order" is working out and well, it isn't an order, which is why that's happening. Also that nightclub is open in violation of the governor's Friday order to close bars.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I remember when the normally not busy at all dive bar up the road from me was insanely busy immediately after the governor declared everything open again, :laffo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You look at the things that people were asked to do and did to help the war effort in WW2 and you can't imagine something like that happening today. "Do your part! Stay at home and watch Netflix!" is too much.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
A huge amount of the population was and still is down. These days we have to contend with mass disinformation being broadcast by the largest propaganda networks in the history of mankind; The US govt of 1942 didn't have to contend (In any historically significant way) with the entire business class actively sabotaging it to preserve their own interests.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

zoux posted:

The original tweet asks how that "stay at home order" is working out and well, it isn't an order, which is why that's happening. Also that nightclub is open in violation of the governor's Friday order to close bars.

The Chronicle article says bar owners claimed they were a restaurant. :what:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The Chronicle article says bar owners claimed they were a restaurant. :what:

This isn't a bust out the dictionary thing, either they have more alcohol sales than food sales or they don't. Since they're a nightclub, I assume the former. The Gov's most recent order says "All bars and similar establishments that receive more than 51% of their gross receipts from the sale of alcoholic beverages are required to close at 12:00 PM today. "

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

You look at the things that people were asked to do and did to help the war effort in WW2 and you can't imagine something like that happening today. "Do your part! Stay at home and watch Netflix!" is too much.

This is just one of a thousand individual travesties in the government's response to this crisis, but it's wild that we don't see posters, billboards, and PSAs all over the place to push mask-wearing. We can't even be bothered to print up WW2-style "loose lips sink ships" or "keep calm and carry on" propaganda.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
We need to track down the memelords and hire them at Health and Human Services.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's gonna be hard to find a memelord with a severe conflict of interest with HHSC because that seems to be the only people they contract with

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Odessa city council voted 5-1 against a mask ordinance. Placing their hope in well informed individuals and the free market lol

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

the left/libs will always follow those suggestions, but youd have to have foxnews and the entire gop pushing it in good faith if you want the whole country to get on board.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
lmao that party was at the spire downtown. thats a club that converted from an old church of christ scientist building from the mid century

its a great building that should have been made into a museum or something.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

It's fun seeing Sticky and Rinaldi as powerless whining reply guys in comments now. Konni Burton too.
sticky has always been and will be a poster

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

sticky has always been and will be a poster

Greetings Jonathan

https://mobile.twitter.com/annehelen/status/1277657375776763905

You don't mean....reducing restaurant capacity to 25% ?!!

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 29, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Marxalot posted:

fortunately, I do

Wonder how much of the $750 was spent on artists for the APD’s thank you card post.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Marxalot posted:

A huge amount of the population was and still is down. These days we have to contend with mass disinformation being broadcast by the largest propaganda networks in the history of mankind; The US govt of 1942 didn't have to contend (In any historically significant way) with the entire business class actively sabotaging it to preserve their own interests.

yes it did lol

the government threatened them with steady profits or jail and they shut the gently caress up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i cannot get over how much of the economy in 2020 compared to 1942 is functionally useless. i've been worried about this for awhile and i don't what will happen if society collapses enough where people with money, people that are used to having money since ~1996 when the internet boom kicked off, don't have purchasing power. i have friends that haven't cooked a meal in a decade. are they swept up? do they direct their hundreds of thousands into action or investments? the austin tech economy is so flush with cash that it's hard to predict what will happen.

imo it'll be fast. some commodity will collapse and most everybody will be unprepared. was austin's wealth wasted on pet spas? what happens when serious money isn't invested or spent well?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if Chick Fil A went out of business half the people I know would starve to death

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Proud Christian Mom posted:

if Chick Fil A went out of business half the people I know would starve to death

I can quit their nuggets anytime I want to.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Blotto_Otter posted:

This is just one of a thousand individual travesties in the government's response to this crisis, but it's wild that we don't see posters, billboards, and PSAs all over the place to push mask-wearing. We can't even be bothered to print up WW2-style "loose lips sink ships" or "keep calm and carry on" propaganda.

The electronic TXDOT signs had some slogans like that. "Social distancing saves lives. No close encounters of any kind!" Of course it was always something that could also be construed as good advice for driving, but at least they did do their part in the slogan war.

i say swears online posted:

yes it did lol

the government threatened them with steady profits or jail and they shut the gently caress up

Got any sources? Not that I wouldn't believe you, I'm just curious who were the fuckers bitching about war rationing and such during WWII.

I doubt it was Chrysler who got a massive contract building all the Shermans we sold to the UK (because the engine Chrysler built for them was a non-euclidean mashup of 5 V-6 engines that no one else wanted and we had 3 other manufacturers building Shermans as fast as possible).

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/cassi_pollock/status/1277688208613130240

Texas Tribune posted:

“If you are not willing to take these actions on behalf of the state, please roll back your restriction on local leaders being able to take these swift actions to safeguard the health of our communities,” Sam Biscoe, interim Travis County judge, wrote in a letter to Abbott on Monday.
[...]
“Our region’s hospital capacity issues and economic circumstances require stronger protocols to contain the spread of this disease,” Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff and San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg wrote. The two asked Abbott to “restore the ability for the City of San Antonio to take additional local preventative measures, including potential Stay Home/Work Safe restrictions.” They also asked the governor to mandate face coverings when outside a household and “clearer language that strictly limits social gatherings,” among other things.
I suspect we're approaching the point at which even Abbott realizes that another lockdown is the only way we can keep this outbreak from spinning out of control. I figure he'll wait a couple more days and then quietly move to give these powers back to the cities/counties, who will then do what's necessary while he tries to wash his hands of it.

(Incidentally, ICU occupancy and ventilator usage in San Antonio both jumped by over 20% from Saturday to Sunday, so our local authorities are in full freakout mode and are asking the state to help staff the field hospital being set up at Freeman Coliseum.)