Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pour one out for the bologna pony thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlezdwE7kHM

The ADV dub owns.

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Can we talk about the leaked 3+1 first 10 minutes?

There is much wrong with it and much promise. I am despondent that it seems that all animes, save opm, seem to have fallen to Netflix polygon pictures lovely cg virus.

Basically, I loathe the new Eva designs. I loathe the way they just kitbash random Eva and angel parts to make... Stuff. I also find it all not credible. Part of what made me love Eva was the idea that so many people came together at NERV to make tokyo 3, to build the Eva units.

How does this all gel with the depopulated post impact world? How do they build a fleet of half Eva's that power a positron cannon? How does wille have 10 battleships?

It's cool to see Ritsuko working on... Something, but the combat sort of ruins the deal: Eva units fight bizzare monsters, not armies of tech equivalent.. things. Plus Mari sucks because she is fully out of context. If she was the best one, why wasn't she there to confront sachiel?

I am just disappointed in the poorly directed, more is more, clearly cg copy paste action. It has none of the pathos that is synonymous with evangelion and yes I would like fries and a coke with that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zeinin posted:

I dunno if that's different than the teasers with the liberation of NERV FRANCE or whatever but if that's what you're referring to, then I wouldn't be surprised if they're banking on Re2 and going "Oh you wanted more Evas? you wanted Kitbash Pirate Asuka eva from that teaser? ok here's a bunch of FigArts poo poo where you take JetAlone's arms and staple them onto Unit 00-X@lpha with Wings from Unit 17"

It seems like they're going hard on wish fulfillment isn't satisfying and there are other issues that come up, the story isn't clean and done so I am guessing that's part of their calculus.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeinin posted:

There is much wrong with it and much promise. I am despondent that it seems that all animes, save opm, seem to have fallen to Netflix polygon pictures lovely cg virus.

Basically, I loathe the new Eva designs. I loathe the way they just kitbash random Eva and angel parts to make... Stuff. I also find it all not credible. Part of what made me love Eva was the idea that so many people came together at NERV to make tokyo 3, to build the Eva units.

How does this all gel with the depopulated post impact world? How do they build a fleet of half Eva's that power a positron cannon? How does wille have 10 battleships?

It's cool to see Ritsuko working on... Something, but the combat sort of ruins the deal: Eva units fight bizzare monsters, not armies of tech equivalent.. things. Plus Mari sucks because she is fully out of context. If she was the best one, why wasn't she there to confront sachiel?

I am just disappointed in the poorly directed, more is more, clearly cg copy paste action. It has none of the pathos that is synonymous with evangelion and yes I would like fries and a coke with that.

The 10-minute teaser we got of 3.0 wasn't really indicative of anything else that happened in that movie so I wouldn't get too worried at this point. I agree that NERV seems to produce a lot of hardware for only being Gendo and Fuyutsuki (and I guess Kaworu for a while).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh goddammit

Why am I laughing so hard at this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

You’re so hosed up

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Regalingualius posted:

Oh goddammit

It's pretty funny

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Regalingualius posted:

Oh goddammit

Goddammit, I can hear the song in my head.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wark Say posted:

Goddammit, I can hear the song in my head.

Same, and I think this proves I'm broken inside.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

komm susser coffin dance

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
I otoh, think the kitbashed Eva war machines and artificial angels and stuff loving own. It speaks to human nature how even after everything is loving destroyed, even if NERV is down to only two people and robots, they'll keep trying to fight Wille just because instead of calling it a day. The mechs we built to save us from monsters are now for killing people. The monsters we were fighting are now also used for killing people, and their awe inspiring divine powers are just another branch of weapons tech now.

It's the same kind of despair we got in EoE where after the angels are defeated, other humans end up being way more dangerous and ruthless, or how in the cold war we had plans to keep nuking the rubble with submarines even after both sides' cities are gone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1277288474350096386?s=21

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's something oddly fitting about live-action Evangelion only being used to promote phones rather than a full-on movie

...granted, after FMA, (Netflix) Death Note, and Attack on Titan, perhaps it's for the best?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

It's live action Eva but it's Shinji Ikari Raising Project instead

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
3.0 is the only Rebuild that even has a reason to exist, and if 3+1 leans even harder into denying the audience a nice clean resolution it'll be a masterpiece

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vinylshadow posted:

There's something oddly fitting about live-action Evangelion only being used to promote phones rather than a full-on movie

...granted, after FMA, (Netflix) Death Note, and Attack on Titan, perhaps it's for the best?

make a Hollywood Eva movie but instead of a retelling of the show it's focussed on the NERV branch in Nevada that's building 03 and 04, have a couple "chosen kids" there ready to go and doing all the test work and at the end they install the s2 engine in 04, everyone explodes, Unit 03 gets shipped to JP and you know what happens next

edit: you could probably slip Kaji and Kaworu in there at some point, and/or have the opening be the Unit-02 fight against Gahagiel where some protagonist was assigned to one of the UN ships then gets transferred to NERVada to act as the UN rep watching over the production

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 29, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

3.0 is the only Rebuild that even has a reason to exist, and if 3+1 leans even harder into denying the audience a nice clean resolution it'll be a masterpiece

I completely disagree with this statement

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
good

share your notes with the class

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

You definitely need the first two – especially the last 20 minutes of 2.0 – for 3.0, which is a masterpiece, to land right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vinylshadow posted:

Adam Wingard's Death Note is the best thing to come out of the franchise.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

3 and 4 were supposed to be back-to-back and staff as recent as this year admitted that the ambivalence towards 3 is because the second half is missing. We got Death and Rebirth'd again but people believe the "ah yes Anno the master troll" myth and the extensive delay only cements the misinterpretation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Szmitten posted:

3 and 4 were supposed to be back-to-back and staff as recent as this year admitted that the ambivalence towards 3 is because the second half is missing.

I hadn't heard this; that's a pretty encouraging sentiment.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Glad that the tradition of dropping unsourced claims about NGE's production is still alive 25 years in

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

FWIW I vaguely remember mention of the 3rd and 4th movies coming out together not too long after Rebuild 2 came out. Looking it up all I find is that 3+1 was supposed to come out just a year after 3.0, though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

FWIW I vaguely remember mention of the 3rd and 4th movies coming out together not too long after Rebuild 2 came out. Looking it up all I find is that 3+1 was supposed to come out just a year after 3.0, though.

I also vaguely remember something similar. Either way, I think the name spells it out fairly clearly, as it's not 4.0, it's 3+1. We're still on 3 but it's 1 more.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I mean, I remember the announcements and per Wikipedia via a dead source:

quote:

The release schedule of the Rebuild films has experienced many delays, with the first film pushed from its original summer release date to fall 2007, and the second film's release date shifted from 2008 to summer 2009. The third film, initially announced as a simultaneous release with Evangelion: Final in the summer of 2008,[22] was released in the fall of 2012.

It was four movies in three releases with the last one being a double feature called 3.0 + Final. Obviously that's irrelevant now 10 years later but Japan has some kind of Evangelion app that has been uploading commentary tracks for the movies this year (to the extent of a voice actor getting censored for 5 minutes during the Zeruel fight because she was talking about 4.0, with the intent to uncensor it after the movie is out) and someone on production reiterated that 3 and 4 were intended to be a double feature and that partly explains weird feelings about Q. They also described the Q preview included in 2.0 as "problematic" so they're being somewhat candid.

Unfortunately I read a lot of Eva poo poo and lose track of it again, especially since it's often region/language locked so I'm relying on forum users stumbling onto things and giving a poo poo to mention it.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 29, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's time yall.....

Time to get high and watch Evangelion with my dad

Out of the blue he was just like "hey i was thinking about watching that cartoon you were really into when you were a teenager, just to like, see what you saw in it."

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

lmao i cannot imagine watching eva with either my dad or mom

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Glad that the tradition of dropping unsourced claims about NGE's production is still alive 25 years in

Production was finished because of extra funding provided by Satan.

Not the devil, the pro-wrestler.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

pretty interesting about the commentary saying Zeruel fight is relevant to the last one. two full animated films coming out very close together is some pretty wishful thinking, thats a lot of work.
3 is what got me back into eva and i think its good for fiction to leave you with more questions than answers so the new one can come out whenever. im happy to just look at the animation and sketches of whats already out there.

this is the only official statement i can remember about all four of the movies

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just glad Anno has reached the point where he can say "I'm done! Peace y'all!" and be truly done with Evangelion.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

After he's done with Rebuild I hope he tries some more low-key arthouse stuff like Love & Pop and Ritual. Or even another rom-com like Kare Kano.

I'll also take Shin Godzilla 2.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

pretty interesting about the commentary saying Zeruel fight is relevant to the last one.

While it might, I think they just went on a tangent.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Regalingualius posted:

Oh goddammit

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

lmao i cannot imagine watching eva with either my dad or mom
Remembering that time when my 72 year old mother was on a Netflix binge and decided to watch Twin Peaks since I had talked about it so much over the years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Raxivace posted:

After he's done with Rebuild I hope he tries some more low-key arthouse stuff like Love & Pop and Ritual. Or even another rom-com like Kare Kano.

I'll also take Shin Godzilla 2.

I mean first things first, his reward for finishing Rebuild is making Shin Ultraman.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
my mom is the one who bought me my End of Eva dvd without having a single clue what it was. she's never watched it with me or at all, but she recognizes the characters and Evas still. thanks mom!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Twin Peaks seems like the kind of thing that might actually hit for old people. It has enough of the trappings of old cop drama and soaps that they might get into it. Agent Dale Cooper is basically the 90s heir to Perry Mason and various other very earnest and upstanding detective types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*The "are ya winnin' son?" meme but it's your mom and you're watching EOE*