Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What kind of hack writer came up with this development?

Oh no, the people endangering the kids are planning on how best to do it, but lol psych they have imperilled themselves at that very meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smoobles posted:

We Are All Going To Die

This is 100% true

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

COVID in the US is Aliens, but all you have to do to block the face huggers is wear a cloth over your mouth, but half the crew refuses to do it and the other half get loving murdered by the monsters bursting from their chests.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly at this point I'm feeling a little left out that I haven't caught it yet.

Its like the hot new trend and I'm being left behind!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

You should just go to that Vanilla Ice show in Austin on Friday

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I'm pretty sure I caught it in February. Early in the month I thought I had the flu. That lasted for about two weeks until my lungs started burning, and the burning spread to my windpipe. About a week after that I was still feeling lovely and I actually couldn't speak. Then I finally went to a clinic and they gave me some pain meds and they diagnosed me with bronchitis. I'm pretty sure I had the thing but it was just before anyone was really diagnosing people with it and I was out of work for like 2 weeks because I could not get out of bed...

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Why the gently caress WOULDN'T you aim for complete eradication if it was in reach? The "flattening the curve" stuff was from back when they were expecting up to 150,000 deaths in Australia and were trying to avoid a worst case scenario and assuming they wouldn't be able to stop it altogether, it was a stop-gap measure and not the preferred outcome.

Because you're never going to get complete eradication unless you stop all travel in and out of the country for three years. It's an impossible dream. What we currently have, lots of testing and isolation of areas were clusters pop up is as good as you're going to get.

I think eventually they will make masks more mandatory and that would be good. But this is as good as it gets. We either stay in full lockdown permanently or accept that hotspots are going to spring up.

The flattening of the curve was such a success that we've only just tipped over into 8000 cases in total! The curve isn't finished for years yet. Freaking out because someone in Elwood isn't wearing a mask when 77 people in Craigieburn tested positive is a waste of energy.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Instead, why not aim for
COMPLETE.
GLOBAL.
SATURATION.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Resident evil irl:
"Wesker we've secured the sample ! But it's worthless because the freezer unit on the courrier hasn't been maintained since 2009. And the combat data is just cellphone videos of chuds fighting over frozen pizza. I'm so sorry !"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"You've found 'green herb', it probably won't kill you idk. Who knows tho, we're looking at it very strongly"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Was probably posted ITT months ago but I just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARQUqATd07E

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Did the chinese vaccine get brought up yet? I skimmed a few pages. To speed up development, they've decided to just skip the final phase of testing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-vaccine-approved-military-use-china-1.5630947

quote:

China approves COVID-19 vaccine for military use, skips final phase of testing

China's military has received the green light to use a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by its research unit and CanSino Biologics after clinical trials proved it was safe and showed some efficacy, the company said on Monday.

The Ad5-nCoV is one of China's eight vaccine candidates approved for human trials at home and abroad for the respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus. The shot also won approval for human testing in Canada.

China's Central Military Commission approved the use of the vaccine by the military on June 25 for a period of one year, CanSino said in a filing. The vaccine candidate was developed jointly by CanSino and a research institute at the Academy of Military Science.

"The Ad5-nCoV is currently limited to military use only and its use cannot be expanded to a broader vaccination range without the approval of the logistics support department," CanSino said, referring to the Central Military Commission department which approved the military use of the vaccine.

CanSino declined to disclose whether the inoculation of the vaccine candidate is mandatory or optional, citing commercial secrets, in an email to Reuters.

The military approval follows China's decision earlier this month to offer two other vaccine candidates to employees at state-owned firms travelling overseas.

The Phase 1 and 2 clinical trials of the CanSino's vaccine candidate showed it has the potential to prevent diseases caused by the coronavirus, which has killed more than 500,000 people globally, but its commercial success cannot be guaranteed, the company said.

Phase 3, which tests a vaccine's efficacy and safety on many thousands of people, is still to be completed. This step is usually considered the most important for wide spread approval, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

So that's a thing.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'll trust something from something called CanSino, doesn't sound like a gamble at all
e: something something

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 2, 2020

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Illuminti posted:

The flattening of the curve was such a success that we've only just tipped over into 8000 cases in total! The curve isn't finished for years yet. Freaking out because someone in Elwood isn't wearing a mask when 77 people in Craigieburn tested positive is a waste of energy.

Come on, this is the literal ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure. We are currently witnessing that at Victoria's stage of relaxed restrictions, that their current system of testing and isolation isn't fast enough to stop a new infection area before it needs to be locked down. That one person evading the stay at home restriction is risking putting Snowglobe's entire postcode into lockdown.

And sure, eradication may be impossible to maintain because there will always be contact with the outside world, but it's the only way to open up fully. If it comes back, then you have to quickly quash it because it will spread quickly, but if you accept the virus as being endemic in the country, then you're going to be stuck on stage 3 restrictions, because anything more than that clearly allows the virus to spread with exponential growth. It's not the eradication method that gets stuck in permanent restrictions; it's allowing the virus to remain in the community.

This is why all the other states who have eliminated the virus from the community are so hesitant to allow Victorians in. They've opened up beyond what their protection methods can deal with, and they know it. All they are relying on at the moment is the virus being trapped inside quarantine hotels for returning travelers, and the hope that if it does get loose, they find it really quickly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Illuminti posted:

Because you're never going to get complete eradication unless you stop all travel in and out of the country for three years.

You enforce strict quarantine on anyone entering (which Australia did do, for literal decades, back in the age of sail), and ensure that no cases get into the country.

Yes, international travel is a shitshow. The US response has guaranteed that it will be a shitshow until there's a working vaccine. Saying that eradicating the virus in your own borders is pointless because you'll one day want to reopen international travel is utterly insane.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

New article discussing the results from a shitload of medical autopsies

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/01/coronavirus-autopsies-findings/?itid=lk_inline_manual_28

Basically tons and tons of clotting, especially in the lungs, and observing the presence of so much lung clotting did lead to doctors more often prescribing blood thinners right away, which has probably had a meaningful impact on the CFR. And common neurological symptoms / stroke / sudden organ failure is probably due to the virus causing a bunch of clots in the brain. The common detail is that the scope of clotting is weird; coronavirus victims didn't just have 1 big clot in the lung or brain, they had tons of microclots in completely different regions of those organs. So I guess the virus just travels all over your loving body and you're really just subject to the whims of your immune system to fight it off before it causes irreparable damage

The article notes that it's still unknown whether there will be permanent neurological symptoms in any significant fraction of coronavirus patients. Since neurological symptoms appear to be common in all patients, it's likely that they're suffering permanent brain damage, as these symptoms are being caused by neurons literally dying from a lack of oxygen.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly at this point I'm feeling a little left out that I haven't caught it yet.

Its like the hot new trend and I'm being left behind!

don't worry friend from the looks of things you might have already got it due to the number of symptomless cases AND you'll probably get a chance to catch it again next year!

schmug
May 20, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

We've completely given up I guess. I saw a headline from Dr. Fauci that we could be seeing 100k new infections per day soon. I'm surprised that we haven't seen a huge spike in deaths, but I suppose that's coming?

The death rates are back to ~2000/day again from what I can tell.

*Clutch cues up* "Don't worry it's commin"

The Glumslinger posted:

If someone is gonna die from Corona, it normally takes 4-5 weeks from when they get infected. With hospitals really filling up, the deaths are probably about a week or 2 away

schmug
May 20, 2007

Can all but guarantee that we top 200,000 by the end of the month.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also read a pretty good summary of the risk of coronavirus in childcare settings, which agrees with the picture that I've been building from research articles. Yes, it does transmit to children, and children can transmit it on. But that rate seems to be lower than among adults, so opening elementary schools in the fall might not be as huge a risk as it seems. A noteworthy quote from an epidemiologist, "Remarkably, contact tracing studies in China, Iceland, Britain and the Netherlands failed to locate a single case of child-to-adult infection out of thousands of transmission events analyzed.” And while there have definitely been outbreaks reported in childcare facilities in several places that do not have contact tracing, the risk does appear to be lower overall.

http://earlylearningnation.com/2020/06/opinion-child-cares-look-safe-its-time-to-act-like-it/

The greatest risk to K-6 teachers may actually be other teachers and parents, rather than children.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No children spread it to adults, but they can spread it to each other? :thunk:

Schooling is important and the rest of society should make sacrifices to make it possible, but if America is barely keeping Rt under unity, and only in some places, with schools having been shut down for months, I am not optimistic.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 2, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

It's because they're little so they lick each other faces but they can't cough into an adult's face. See my YouTube for other hard science takes

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Children don't spread it to adults because they are too short to cough directly into their faces.

That's just good science.

e:

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's because they're little so they lick each other faces but they can't cough into an adult's face. See my YouTube for other hard science takes

dang, a fellow man of science

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Schooling is important and the rest of society should make sacrifices to make it possible, but if America is barely keeping Rt under unity, and only in some places, with schools having been shut down for months, I am not optimistic.

Who said they don't spread it to adults? Children definitely do spread it to adults, and to each other, but in both of those cases the transmission risk seems to be lower than between adults.

schmug
May 20, 2007

lol :science:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So the republicans realized that big chunks of their voter base are going to die from going to rallies without wearing masks? drat

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-students-throwing-covid-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That sounds as fake as the rainbow parties alleged to have taken place in the nineteen nineties.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Platystemon posted:

That sounds as fake as the rainbow parties alleged to have taken place in the nineteen nineties.

I was sharing this everywhere on the net about 2 weeks ago, maybe it caught on

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

schmug posted:

The death rates are back to ~2000/day again from what I can tell.

No they aren't.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

No they aren't.

879 deaths on July 1

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Also read a pretty good summary of the risk of coronavirus in childcare settings, which agrees with the picture that I've been building from research articles. Yes, it does transmit to children, and children can transmit it on. But that rate seems to be lower than among adults, so opening elementary schools in the fall might not be as huge a risk as it seems. A noteworthy quote from an epidemiologist, "Remarkably, contact tracing studies in China, Iceland, Britain and the Netherlands failed to locate a single case of child-to-adult infection out of thousands of transmission events analyzed.” And while there have definitely been outbreaks reported in childcare facilities in several places that do not have contact tracing, the risk does appear to be lower overall.

http://earlylearningnation.com/2020/06/opinion-child-cares-look-safe-its-time-to-act-like-it/

The greatest risk to K-6 teachers may actually be other teachers and parents, rather than children.

yeah as surprising as this seems as time goes on it really does seem to be the case - young children don't just get off easier when infected but they don't spread it much either. it's not the flu, bro!

https://twitter.com/BBCLBicker/status/1278518719077969925?s=20

johncandy
Jun 29, 2020

by Athanatos

The Glumslinger posted:

If someone is gonna die from Corona, it normally takes 4-5 weeks from when they get infected. With hospitals really filling up, the deaths are probably about a week or 2 away

Are hospitals filling up?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

johncandy posted:

Are hospitals filling up?

They are in Texas...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jawdins posted:

I'm pretty sure I caught it in February. Early in the month I thought I had the flu. That lasted for about two weeks until my lungs started burning, and the burning spread to my windpipe. About a week after that I was still feeling lovely and I actually couldn't speak. Then I finally went to a clinic and they gave me some pain meds and they diagnosed me with bronchitis. I'm pretty sure I had the thing but it was just before anyone was really diagnosing people with it and I was out of work for like 2 weeks because I could not get out of bed...

10 million people got the flu in February including me and every one of them thinks it was covid. Assume it wasn’t.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
if you're outside and more than 6ft away from people, can you take off your mask?

also is it true that hard surfaces aren't a significant vector?

I'm in Chicago and 80/90% of people wear it. but I commute via train and while my office enforces the masks a lot of them are still traveling to Wisconsin and St. Louis regularly. I also usually get sick during flu seasons so..

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

if you're outside and more than 6ft away from people, can you take off your mask?

I'm in Chicago and 80/90% of people wear it. but I commute via train and while my office enforces the masks a lot of them are still traveling to Wisconsin and St. Louis regularly. I also usually get sick during flu seasons so..

Are you asking or are you just wanting validation of whatever it is you’ve decided you are going to do anyway?

Not being snarky but I’m finding most people have made their choice and then just hunt for others to say it’s ok

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Must be cool to live in a country where people give a gently caress about covid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Legally, yeah, usually. Most of the orders allow it. Practically, you want a lot more space than that before you can say the mask probably isn’t making much difference.

quote:

since SARS-CoV-2 is not only transmitted through the air and can survive on the surface for a while, the importance of hand disinfection cannot be ignored

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7226715/

Here’s a recent study demonstrating surface transmission done with a harmless proxy virus.

quote:

The results from this study show how important surface-mediated transmission is, particularly in light of the current outbreak.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7238988/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fartbox posted:

Must be cool to live in a country where people give a gently caress about covid

Look I'm just doing what the founding fathers did. George Washington is well known for saying "gently caress masks" and spray painting "all lives matter" across Seattle walkways, okay? I'm just honoring the US. I'm just-

for real though, these people suck.