Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just did whole wheat and barley flours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I do my frozen roti on my nonstick, and it comes out well and poofs out. Mind you, store bought stuff usually has a bit of leavening for insurance. Frankly, I'm not fussed if it means that I can knock up lunch in 10 minutes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How long is roti dough good for in the fridge?

I only used like half the original dough ball on Saturday.

TOMSOVERBAGHDAD
Dec 26, 2004

Switzerland is small and neutral!
I've been slowly working on perfecting my biryani. I ate this bomb-rear end biryani in Singapore once and I've been trying to recreate the flavor at home ever since, and now it's morphed into its own thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

First time trying to make paratha.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ate with chicken shawarma. The paratha definitely didn't have as thin layers as they probably should have, maybe not enough flouring while rolling out? My wife is wondering, can we make with just all purpose flour, or does it need to be whole wheat?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The ones I posted just up thread I made with AP flour. It seems like it would be difficult to get good layering with whole wheat as the only flour being used, just due to it being the whole grain. I’m sure it’ll taste good, but the consistency of it will be different.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Made some butter chicken and masoor dal, got it on the plate... and realized I'd forgotten the kasuri methi in both dishes :doh: Not the most attractive plating I've ever done, but after years of disappointment with slow cooker, instapot and other recipes I think I've finally put together some butter chicken that hits as good as the restaurant stuff.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Awesome job. It's also cause slow cookers suck

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I made parathas too! They're made out of whole wheat flour (well, atta) and these are mint parathas, flavored with stuff like ajwain, Kashmiri chili powder, and turmeric:

It's kind of a pain in the rear end making these without a rolling pin because my gin bottle that I use has a label which is starting to flake off a bit and so I have to make sure I catch that and don't eat any of it, since for all I know it's deadly. Plus I roll them out on one of my plates, and my plates have raised edges which obviously makes things sort of hard. I'm thinking about buying a rolling pin and board (chakla belan) to make my life easier...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yours look way better than mine despite me having a rolling pin, haha.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Went to an Indian restaurant today and had dosa. There was one ingredient in the mix that was like a long piece of grass. it didn't have any particular flavour (like when you've left a clove or huge piece of ginger in), and was very fibrous. Any idea what this may have been?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zenithe posted:

Went to an Indian restaurant today and had dosa. There was one ingredient in the mix that was like a long piece of grass. it didn't have any particular flavour (like when you've left a clove or huge piece of ginger in), and was very fibrous. Any idea what this may have been?

Are you sure it wasn't a piece of lemongrass?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Zenithe posted:

https://chennaifocus.in/2016/01/09/trend-talk-moringa-or-murungai-is-the-new-super-food-ingredient/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Like, in the dosa itself? Or in the sambhar? If it was in the sambhar then like dino said it's pretty much 100% drumstick.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cool, yes it was this.

And yes, it was in the sambhar

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
FINALLY got my brain together to make something decent.

Washed it down with tamarind jarritos :cheers:

edit- any uses for that leftover spice sludge in the bottom of a jar of pickles?

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 6, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sex Hobbit posted:

FINALLY got my brain together to make something decent.

Washed it down with tamarind jarritos :cheers:

edit- any uses for that leftover spice sludge in the bottom of a jar of pickles?

On top of Congee

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Suspect Bucket posted:

I just made the one pot instant pot biryani from Two Sleevers https://twosleevers.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-biryani/ . I did it lazy style (it was getting late) and just used some garam masala. I also messed up at the store and somehow bought a bunch of fenugreek leaves rather then coriander leaves. I was also going to cheat and add a drop of mint oil rather then fresh mint, totally forgot to do that. Anyhoo, other then not having the same level and quality of fragrance, it was not bad! The fiance said it was not bad at all, and that he's paid for and eaten much worse back alley biryani in India.

Next time I'll be tempering my spices properly and using the right fresh herbs. But even lazy biryani was good stuff. The rice was the PERFECT texture.

https://i.imgur.com/gR5uX76.jpg

Necromancing this to say that I made the vegetarian/paneer version of this biryani for lunch today and it was really good. I didn’t even have cilantro/mint on hand and used some weird vegetable medley from TJ’s that had its own garlic/parsley that I had in the freezer. It was fantastic and I’m gonna make some more tomorrow since I have a bunch of paneer leftover.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How do you have paneer just lying around uneaten? I have to hide mine in the freezer or else chunks go missing in the night.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Suspect Bucket posted:

How do you have paneer just lying around uneaten? I have to hide mine in the freezer or else chunks go missing in the night.

I actually had two big 1.25 pieces in the freezer and defrosted one, but only used about half in this recipe (and just used the other half for another batch right now). Usually if I have extra paneer it goes into the dish (paneer quantities, like garlic, can and should be scaled 200%) For this recipe though I didn’t want to overwhelm the instant pot though.

Second round biryani was also delicious.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Thank you thread for aloo methi—it’s incredible stuff. (Used dried, but should be able to get fresh fenugreek where I live.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I like aloo methi with dried fenugreek just as much as with fresh fenugreek. And the dried is quite convenient!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When I can get my hands on fresh methi leaves, I use it as an excuse to make a batch of ghormeh sabzi.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I was able to grab some frozen packages of methi from one of the local Indian grocers in the Bay Area, but oddly enough I couldn’t find any at my absurdly bountiful grocery store that has everything under the sun (with good turnover, too). I think the frozen should work pretty well in a dish like this.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I like aloo methi with dried fenugreek just as much as with fresh fenugreek. And the dried is quite convenient!

How do you like the mixer you bought a while back? I am sick of my too-small, leaky food processors.

dino. posted:

When I can get my hands on fresh methi leaves, I use it as an excuse to make a batch of ghormeh sabzi.

It has to be fresh. I am not a fan of methi in general, but I really can’t stand the dried item. No matter how much I crush it up, and no matter when I add it, I find myself biting into stems and feeling it crunch and crumble in my mouth. I have given up, and don’t expect to ever finish the jar of it I currently have.

Maybe there are better brands. I usually just grab whatever is on the shelf at one of the Indian or Bangladeshi markets.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

dino. posted:

do you have a recipe or something for the gormeh sabzi? vegan ofc

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It depends on what herbs look good, and that I can get my hands on. The traditional version does call for meat, but I've had no issues with using kidney beans or fava beans in there instead. You cook off a good bit of onion type veg: leeks, chives, scallion, and a bit of white onion to bulk everything out. This is one of the dishes where you /do/ want to use the green part of the leeks.
You also add like 3 - 5 cloves of garlic, crushed slightly to peel, and thrown in whole. Some people like to chop the garlic finely, but I like the taste of the whole crushed garlic with the onion. While your alium are cooking, you also add a good hefty hit of turmeric. For roughly 1 lb worth of onion product, you want like a good teaspoon or so of turmeric.

Once that's cooked down, you add in your cooked kidney beans or fava beans. I usually have kidney beans on hand, so that's what I tend to use, but if I have fava beans, I prefer to use them. You don't want to use chickpeas, because they don't really meld into the rest of the dish. They stand out too much. You also don't want to use like white beans, lentils, or black beans, because they disappear into the stew too much. Add just enough water to barely cover the beans, and let that whole situation simmer away over low heat while you prep your herbs.

Ghormeh sabzi is a herb stew. That's the whole point. The more variety of herbs you can put in there, the more interesting the end product is going to be. Fenugreek leaves are a must. I also love to add dill. Parsley is a must. For me, cilantro is also a must. I like to add spinach, but the most tender spinach you can get your hands on. The reason is that the herbs are pretty pricey unless you're snagging them at an Indian grocer, where you get absolute bucketloads for a couple of bucks. While the beans and onions are simmering away in the oil, you give the greens a good chop. You don't want to go too big, because then the leaves are unpleasantly large. You also don't want to chop the herbs down to a powder either. Find a happy medium.

Give the greens a sautee in plenty of oil. For about 2 - 3 lbs of greens in total, you want like 1/4 cup of oil minimum. You basically want to coat the bottom of your skillet with oil. For the sauteeing, I like to add finely minced garlic to the oil first, and give it a few seconds in the hot fat. Then I'll add the herbs/spinach mix, and let them all get wilted. Of course, season generously with salt. Taste your greens for seasoning, and adjust as needed. Stir the herbs and beans together, and cook until everything is nicely melded in taste.

When the greens are good and sauteed, dump that mixture into the bean and onion situation, and give it all a good mix. At the last minute, with the heat turned off, add the juice of 2 lemons. Just before serving, I like to top the thing off with some freshly chopped herbs, like a spot of mint, just to brighten everything up, but that's not really traditional. Serve over piping hot rice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

How do you like the mixer you bought a while back? I am sick of my too-small, leaky food processors.
It's good! No complaints. A spice grinder is better for grinding small batches of spices but aside from that it does everything you could want a mixi to do. I've lagged way behind posting food I make but once I eventually get around to it I'll post plenty of pictures of stuff I've made now that I can make (for instance) pureed tomato.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

dino. posted:

It depends on what herbs look good, and that I can get my hands on. The traditional version does call for meat, but I've had no issues with using kidney beans or fava beans in there instead. You cook off a good bit of onion type veg: leeks, chives, scallion, and a bit of white onion to bulk everything out. This is one of the dishes where you /do/ want to use the green part of the leeks.
You also add like 3 - 5 cloves of garlic, crushed slightly to peel, and thrown in whole. Some people like to chop the garlic finely, but I like the taste of the whole crushed garlic with the onion. While your alium are cooking, you also add a good hefty hit of turmeric. For roughly 1 lb worth of onion product, you want like a good teaspoon or so of turmeric.

Once that's cooked down, you add in your cooked kidney beans or fava beans. I usually have kidney beans on hand, so that's what I tend to use, but if I have fava beans, I prefer to use them. You don't want to use chickpeas, because they don't really meld into the rest of the dish. They stand out too much. You also don't want to use like white beans, lentils, or black beans, because they disappear into the stew too much. Add just enough water to barely cover the beans, and let that whole situation simmer away over low heat while you prep your herbs.

Ghormeh sabzi is a herb stew. That's the whole point. The more variety of herbs you can put in there, the more interesting the end product is going to be. Fenugreek leaves are a must. I also love to add dill. Parsley is a must. For me, cilantro is also a must. I like to add spinach, but the most tender spinach you can get your hands on. The reason is that the herbs are pretty pricey unless you're snagging them at an Indian grocer, where you get absolute bucketloads for a couple of bucks. While the beans and onions are simmering away in the oil, you give the greens a good chop. You don't want to go too big, because then the leaves are unpleasantly large. You also don't want to chop the herbs down to a powder either. Find a happy medium.

Give the greens a sautee in plenty of oil. For about 2 - 3 lbs of greens in total, you want like 1/4 cup of oil minimum. You basically want to coat the bottom of your skillet with oil. For the sauteeing, I like to add finely minced garlic to the oil first, and give it a few seconds in the hot fat. Then I'll add the herbs/spinach mix, and let them all get wilted. Of course, season generously with salt. Taste your greens for seasoning, and adjust as needed. Stir the herbs and beans together, and cook until everything is nicely melded in taste.

When the greens are good and sauteed, dump that mixture into the bean and onion situation, and give it all a good mix. At the last minute, with the heat turned off, add the juice of 2 lemons. Just before serving, I like to top the thing off with some freshly chopped herbs, like a spot of mint, just to brighten everything up, but that's not really traditional. Serve over piping hot rice.

THanks for the tips. I have wanted to make it for a long while but never did. What about the dried, black limes? Sounds easier than I thought.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

von Braun posted:

THanks for the tips. I have wanted to make it for a long while but never did. What about the dried, black limes? Sounds easier than I thought.

I can't find them locally, and don't really feel like ordering it because I wouldn't be using it for anything else. It's why the lemon juice at the end. The dried lime would add a bitter note and a sour note. It's more complex than just plain lime juice or lemon juice. I've had it before, but not really fussed about pursuing it.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

dino. posted:

I can't find them locally, and don't really feel like ordering it because I wouldn't be using it for anything else. It's why the lemon juice at the end. The dried lime would add a bitter note and a sour note. It's more complex than just plain lime juice or lemon juice. I've had it before, but not really fussed about pursuing it.

Oh ok. I see them at the grocery store in bags but I wouldn't use them either. they also look so gross

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

What are fenugreek seeds good for? I have a whole bag I bought for something then forgot about.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i also have a shitload of fenugreek that im not sure what to do with. can i grind these up or something? vegetarian uses?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Spuckuk posted:

What are fenugreek seeds good for? I have a whole bag I bought for something then forgot about.
A thousand different things. They're in a lot of pickle recipes, like mango pickle. They can go in dals, like tetor dal and dal rasam. There's this which uses up a shitton of them. You can use them when making okra and eggplant and bitter gourd and aloo rasedar with fenugreek leaves and this and this and this and a thousand other things - we could be here all day listing recipes! Just browse your favorite website for a bit and sooner or later you'll come across dozens of recipes with them.

THS posted:

i also have a shitload of fenugreek that im not sure what to do with. can i grind these up or something? vegetarian uses?
Yes, you can grind them up. Ground fenugreek is a part of sambar powder for instance.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
They're also used to create artificial maple syrup.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A thousand different things. They're in a lot of pickle recipes, like mango pickle. They can go in dals, like tetor dal and dal rasam. There's this which uses up a shitton of them. You can use them when making okra and eggplant and bitter gourd and aloo rasedar with fenugreek leaves and this and this and this and a thousand other things - we could be here all day listing recipes! Just browse your favorite website for a bit and sooner or later you'll come across dozens of recipes with them.

Yes, you can grind them up. Ground fenugreek is a part of sambar powder for instance.

Thanks for this, happily I just bought a shitload of Okra too, so I guess I know what we're eating.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another thing to do with a shitload of fenugreek.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I went to the city and picked up some of those jarred Indian pickles. I didn't have any food at night, so I ate about 1/4" of the sweeter jar. I developed the worst stomach ache in a long long time, my digestion was on fire.
I think the preferred way to use these pickles is to put into an iron pan, with oil + whatever seasonings you like. The flavor is then passed on to whatever you make. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Death by pickle