Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Turns out my friend's Sergeant Doggo was heretically under-respected :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ehhh Im not going to put money on the theory that the admech created dogs since they show up on feudal planets. Id buy it maybe happening before human dispersal though.

Thylacines got brought back though which is neat.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 6, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

To make a long story that doesn't deserve to be told short: Arch Warhammer is an rear end in a top hat youtuber who got big by making lore videos about Warhammer and Warhammer 40K, basically being the 40K wiki in spoken form. He's a notable racist who has had multiple instances of his public discord screenshotted where he's called for the deaths of jews, blacks, gays and anyone he considers an SJW. If you've ever looked up a video on a piece of 40K lore, he's probably been the first pick on youtube's algorithm. He sits in a peculiar crossover between fascist Total War fans and fascist 40K fans, since he's been blacklisted by Creative Assembly for his racist comments, notably to the point where the previous community manager for Creative Assembly's last words in that position were to tell Arch to go gently caress himself.

When the Black Lives Matter movement sparked up again with the George Floyd Murder, Games Workshop openly declared their support for BLM and told the racist part of their community that they're not welcome and can gently caress off back to whatever hole they crawled out of. Arch threw a hissy fit, which he's done a lot of in the past year. The Warhammer Adventures kids books and GW's overall effort to be more inclusive pissed him off because they were becoming the SJWs he hates and dumbing down the super serious grimdark HARD MEN MAKE HARD CHOICES CATHOLIC SPACE NAZIS ARE THE BEST misrepresentation that 40K has been accused of for decades with varying degrees of validity. He's openly harassed tabletop competitors and streamers who are gay or transgender and he's been more than willing to set his sycophantic hatemob of followers on people he doesn't like.

In essence, he's a Skaven neonazi in human skin and the more he gets blacklisted and deplatformed the better. If you want, here's a video of the discussion around Arch and a link to the reddit thread where several of his discord comments were posted. As you can imagine, a highly visible individual shouting blatantly racist and homophobic comments is not a good look for any company's fan community.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG3Q_HzUVZg

If you want a lore video about Warhammer, you have far better options. MajorKill is a not-so-serious warhammer youtuber, though he may strain you depending on your tolerance for australian casual swearing. I thing Luetin09 is supposed to be decent? I can't say I've watched much of his stuff to make an opinion. Kirioth TV and Chapter Master Valrak are good for actual tabletop news and community projects, respectively.

sounds about right. i watch MajorKill sometimes and while he can be problematic at times, he seems to have gotten somewhat better and called about a bunch of folks like arch about weird stupid poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm-fcWKZueg&t

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yikes double post

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 6, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For my 40k YouTube fix, I’m a big fan of 40k Theories. The dude knows his poo poo and his videos are exhaustively well-researched, but he doesn’t cone across as a pompous rear end in a top hat.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Xenomrph posted:

For my 40k YouTube fix, I’m a big fan of 40k Theories. The dude knows his poo poo and his videos are exhaustively well-researched, but he doesn’t cone across as a pompous rear end in a top hat.

The True Identity Of Kitten (TTS Theory) - 40K Theories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKFXDN_ksQA

Could The Emperor Be Remade Entirely Out Of Cyberdongs? (TTS Theory) - 40K Theories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htXOk5CH_fY

e;
I remember ARCH being recommended to me by the algorithm ages ago, I don't remember what exactly it was that turned me off but boy did I do an Xbox 360 and walk the other way.

Wolf Lord Rho is okay. He's uploaded vids discussing the Khan recently.

THE KHAN RIDES OUT!
Today we end our week long look, at the character of Jaghatai Khan... and man it's been a good one. BUT, we are ending on an absolute high... with the Khan riding out at the Siege of Terra!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXQcdoo3Dxc

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 6, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Double Posting for new 40K Theories vid.

The Last Of The Sensei - 40K Theories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQK8pA3PQk

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of theories, I kinda have one.

So, Ephrael Stern aka the Daemonifuge got her powers from a bunch of her sisters dying and channelling their souls into her. When last she was seen before Pariah, she was going to the Black Library.

The whole deal with the Ynnari is the Eldar channeling their souls when they die into Ynnead to empower him.

I guess I'm saying is that maybe the reason they pressed ahead iwth trying to wake him early is because Ephrael is proof such a thing was possible.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
For the Arch World of Warships fuckup I wouldn't be surprised if it was Wargaming North America (the American branch of the company that makes World of Warships) fault.

World of Tanks' North American servers are full of Nazi dogwhistles and Confederate clans while the chat is more toxic than Call of Duty. I can't say for sure World of Warships is the same for definite but the same mods run it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Call of Duty mobile pushed an update back when all this started, citing BLM and the current tensions as "not the right time."

Eveyone was pissed because it seemed like there were technical problems and they were using BLM as an excuse.

When they came back, people with racist user names found themselves banned. It was a pretty amazing thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utxAWdJFyXc

I was gonna make the It's about time! joke but the video beat me to it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Foxtrot_13 posted:

For the Arch World of Warships fuckup I wouldn't be surprised if it was Wargaming North America (the American branch of the company that makes World of Warships) fault.

World of Tanks' North American servers are full of Nazi dogwhistles and Confederate clans while the chat is more toxic than Call of Duty. I can't say for sure World of Warships is the same for definite but the same mods run it.

That's sad. Last I played the US servers were way less full of nazis than the EU servers.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I made a big list of all the 40k books I might want to read at some point that I hadn't read yet and I'm slowly working my way through it in order of publication. It's been mostly reading older Dan Abnett books until now, just finished Ravenor and I've been really enjoying the Ghost books. I never really posted in this thread because I didn't figure anyone would be interested in my opinion on 10-15 year old books.

But man, Only in Death, all through the books it felt like what Abnett was putting his characters through was becoming almost sadistic, especially given how much he has already put them through, and THEN I got to the ending with that horrible description of Soric and man, gently caress everything about this world. Best Gaunt's ghosts book so far, by a long mile for me. I'd say I hope the next story arc is a little less terrible for his characters, but I already know it won't be.

Up next is Titanicus, then Cadian Blood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As far as sheer hell for the Tanith 1st, nothing ever tops Only in Death. There are still several panic inducing moments of utter nightmare scenarios in The Victory arc for you to look forward to, however. Don't get attached to anybody and have fun!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Only In Death is so good.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Are Solar War / Lost and the Damned skippable? I think I remember someone saying in the last few pages to at least read First Wall before Saturnine.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think they're both very good and should not be skipped.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I’m finding it really hard to get through Lost and the Damned. I’m like 1/5 in and it ain’t catching me. Ima finish it eventually, but the beginning was good until all the primarchs start talking.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is Sons of the Selanar important to Saturnine or can it wait until after?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 7, 2020

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I still think Necropolis is the best GG novel, but Sabat Martyr has a couple great moments.

The squad that gets locked out of the fortress when the doors close, so they drive into the enemy and kill over 200.

Mkoll stalking and killing the dark eldar mandrake might be one of my favourite badass moments in all of 40k.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sabbat Martyr needed to be about a hundred pages longer. As a standalone book it is just way too short to effectively resolve its character arcs, and a good half of the assassins get offed in a page or two. The evil bugs bunny dreadnought spends the whole book digging, smashes through the wall like a demonic kool-aid man, and immediately dies.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arbite posted:

Is Sons of the Selanar important to Saturnine or can it wait until after?

No, it is completely separate from all the other SoT books. It's not bad, but not required at all. It ends the shattered legions storyline from HH. It also is somewhat of an origin story for primaris.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I'm a little confused about the opening of the great rift.

I've just finished reading gathering storm and the boss fight with Magnus happens in watchers of the throne but after the opening of the great rift. Yet by the end of the gathering storm there is no rift.

Or am I misremembering?

Edit: oh, and how and when did they get the ships back from the red corsairs?

notaspy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 8, 2020

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I just read Gathering Storm too.

The rift was there. It's one of the reasons why the Terran Crusade took so long. That and the red nerd being a dick.

The next series of books they're doing is the Indomitus Crusade so recapturing Macragge's Honor that will probably be in there.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Guyver posted:

I just read Gathering Storm too.

The rift was there. It's one of the reasons why the Terran Crusade took so long. That and the red nerd being a dick.

The next series of books they're doing is the Indomitus Crusade so recapturing Macragge's Honor that will probably be in there.

Ahhh, that bit about the storm being so bad they couldn't see the astronomican.

I have a softspot for The Thousand Sons but Magnus is really poo poo. He got hosed on fenris by a funny axe, then get chumped on Luna. I've not read the phyicic awaking yet but I am guessing he will gently caress up again.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

notaspy posted:

Ahhh, that bit about the storm being so bad they couldn't see the astronomican.

I have a softspot for The Thousand Sons but Magnus is really poo poo. He got hosed on fenris by a funny axe, then get chumped on Luna. I've not read the phyicic awaking yet but I am guessing he will gently caress up again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ego-bot posted:

Mkoll stalking and killing the dark eldar mandrake might be one of my favourite badass moments in all of 40k.

:same:

"You're good."

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh man, Peter Fehervari is doing a warhammer horror novel. I can't wait. Check out that cover.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/08/horror-returns-this-october/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

Oh man, Peter Fehervari is doing a warhammer horror novel. I can't wait. Check out that cover.

TEN THOUSAND CAPTCHAS WILL NOT MAKE ME CALL A SHIP A "BOAT".

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

D-Pad posted:

Are the books from warhammer horror series decent enough?

Also, holy crap that captcha.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

Are the books from warhammer horror series decent enough?

Also, holy crap that captcha.

They are ok. Most of them feel like 40k with nothing really distinguishing them as horror. I haven't disliked any of them. I think Peter will be able to deliver true horror though. Requiem Infernal felt like a horror story to me.

I am more excited for the upcoming Warhammer Crime series than I am horror. Chris Wraight is doing the first one!

What captcha are you guys talking about?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

40k horror seems really redundant. Is there any 40k fluff without horror underpinnings?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Deff Skwadron?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pawns of Chaos is a good horror.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Famethrowa posted:

40k horror seems really redundant. Is there any 40k fluff without horror underpinnings?

Everything orks do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

D-Pad posted:

Do we know which setting that is taking place in?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Everything orks do.

I was going to say this but then I remembered the scene in Evil Sun Rising where Uggrim is trying to coax a tech priest out of a crumped tank so they could eat him.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Orks are only non-horror if it's from the perspective of the orks.

Put yourself in the place of someone from Helsreach or 15 Hours and it's a horror story about your impending death from a swarm of teeth and muscle.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Marin Karin posted:

Orks are only non-horror if it's from the perspective of the orks.

Put yourself in the place of someone from Helsreach or 15 Hours and it's a horror story about your impending death from a swarm of teeth and muscle.

Only marginally better than a swarm of teeth and chitin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't know. Not only do you get to become one with the four armed emperor the star gods don't usually play with their food.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 10, 2020