Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

metavisual posted:

I don't know if I've ever posted my bike here. Took the MSF and got my endorsement back in 2016, but I just picked up this 2019 Honda CB300r in February. Got about 1800 miles on it now. Learning to ride in Covidworld in March was great, since there was almost nobody on the road! (Ignore my slightly broken clutch lever. Bike fell in the driveway because I was a dumbass!).

That’s a good looking bike, also I believe that’s called christening your bike :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s either that or you dent the tank smashing a champagne bottle on it

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Strife posted:

I tried to steal your photo format with limited success.

The Scrambler is just a great looking bike, drat. I'm pretty bored with black bikes but your Scrambler is a big exception to that. I had it down to either the Full Throttle or the Icon Dark, I only ended up getting the FT because it was a 2019 and they were nervously throwing up incentives at me to get rid of it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

metavisual posted:

I don't know if I've ever posted my bike here. Took the MSF and got my endorsement back in 2016, but I just picked up this 2019 Honda CB300r in February. Got about 1800 miles on it now. Learning to ride in Covidworld in March was great, since there was almost nobody on the road! (Ignore my slightly broken clutch lever. Bike fell in the driveway because I was a dumbass!).
I’m glad to see that it doesn’t have the problem from my CBR250R, which was the kickstand is so tall it leaves the bike almost vertical, especially if the road is crowned at all.

Seems to be by design, I always thought it might be some right-hand drive thing since it’s a bike for the Indian market.

Anyway I dropped the bike twice due to misjudging the angle of the road and having it go over on the right from that damned kickstand.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally the magical combination of sunshine and spare time.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Got myself a bike after a few years of not riding. Suzuki Intruder 800. Old but suprisingly fun to ride.

[img]//[/img]

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Barfolemew posted:

Got myself a bike after a few years of not riding. Suzuki Intruder 800. Old but suprisingly fun to ride.

Those are maybe the widest bars I’ve ever seen in my life. They’re like reverse ape hangers.

Ape spreaders?:stare:

Other than that though, nice get!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 5, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Those ergos must fold you up like a pretzel. Easy fix if so.

But man, what a beautiful bike and color. I had no idea those existed. I like the non traditional cruiser styling. People spend tens of thousands to make an HD look like that.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Ye, it's pretty cool. 1996 made in Japan. 74k kilometers on it, cost me a whooping 1000 euros with riding gear to get me started.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The perspective makes the handlebars look in line with the foot controls lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The vs800 is a giant middle finger to Harley Sportster, it does everything better, smoother, and more economical. Also much quicker. The carbs are terrible to clean and synchronize, beware.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

After selling my mold-wing / naked flat-track-ish GL1100 back in 2016, I'm finally back on two wheels.

I may or may not have bought the bike solely for this joke.

Left over 2019 Duke 390. 0 km on it. Which means engine break in is ongoing. Just about to pass 700km after a month of puttering around town.

I love this thing and that's with the revs being limited to 6000rpm.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
More like 390 Juke :v:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol goddammit I will never be able to unsee that now

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

KTM Dukes certainly are sweet looking bikes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
First long ride of the year always beats the stuffing out of me.

poo poo, I just realized, I shoulda taken a picture of the giant sandwich I made myself for lunch

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat where are you riding where you have snow RIGHT THERE? It's oppressively hot here right now, to the point where I've been squiding it up in boat shoes and shorts.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

MomJeans420 posted:

drat where are you riding where you have snow RIGHT THERE? It's oppressively hot here right now, to the point where I've been squiding it up in boat shoes and shorts.

Freezing in Australia right now, but those don't look like Australian Alpine areas (also LOL @ Victoria's COVID). Winter, piney alpine area, ZRX... my guess is New Zealand,

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

High elevation areas in northern latitudes can also look like that. Could be a mountain pass in Canada or Norway, for example.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isolationist posted:

Freezing in Australia right now, but those don't look like Australian Alpine areas (also LOL @ Victoria's COVID). Winter, piney alpine area, ZRX... my guess is New Zealand,

It's a LHD country by the look. Our road markings don't look like that either.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Not normal Norwegian road markings, trees and the rest looks the part though. Canada?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That definitely looks Banff-esque, and the trail cams still have a little snow.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
IIRC Phy is in Alberta, so the Banff guesses are probably close to the mark

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol yeah it's Banff, though I do appreciate the guessing!

I rode out from Calgary partway up the Icefields Parkway and back yesterday. It's been a wet June and the park actually got a little snow on Canada Day, which is not entirely unheard of even in Warming Hellworld. On my way back it was raining a bit in spots, but it looked like it was thinking real hard about being snow.

There are actual glaciers in the park, including one accessible by big giant bus - but they are definitely shrinking.

Oh and lots of lakes do the turquoise rock flour thing

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 7, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That makes sense. Lake Louise was my desktop background for a long time, and I finally got to visit it in person a few years ago.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Went skiing there two winters ago, it was incredible despite a high of -15F throughout the weekend. Very jealous of living that close to it.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
So I turned 30 this year, obviously I bought a dadbike. 2000 vfr800 in dark, metallic green.
I think this color was not available to the US market.

Quite the change from my DR650. I was afraid of the weight at first but it’s surprisingly nimble at low speed.

Changed the ratty windscreen, and removed the oil buildup (used engine oil for the chain? Idk, had to scrape a ton, and its not leaking from anywhere now that I can see and 2000+ kms) in the front sproket area, and turns out the chain is gold!

Next up is the cracked front fender and repainting the oxidized rims. Local shop quoted 500$ for repairing and painting the fender which sounds really off. Also, not sure what color to go for the rims 🌞.

It also has an old french MIG carbon exhaust that seems period correct. The clear is peeling, i’ll have to look into it as well.

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 7, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my ride up to banff from pdx was definitely on my top 5 list of things I have done on a motorcycle for sure

caught lake louise right at sunrise too

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Grimarest posted:

So I turned 30 this year, obviously I bought a dadbike. 2000 vfr800 in dark, metallic green.
I think this color was not available to the US market.

Quite the change from my DR650. I was afraid of the weight at first but it’s surprisingly nimble at low speed.

Changed the ratty windscreen, and removed the oil buildup (used engine oil for the chain? Idk, had to scrape a ton, and its not leaking from anywhere now that I can see and 2000+ kms) in the front sproket area, and turns out the chain is gold!

Next up is the cracked front fender and repainting the oxidized rims. Local shop quoted 500$ for repairing and painting the fender which sounds really off. Also, not sure what color to go for the rims 🌞.

depending on what the fender is made of you might wanna watch some youtubes on plastic welding. super simple, super cheap. if you have a pic of the break I'd let ya know what I would personally do, but you may not need to paint it. I plastic welded an R6 fender back in the day and just polished tf out of it and it looked fantastic. especially for a cost of like $20 in materials vs a new fender for far more

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fifty Three posted:

Went skiing there two winters ago, it was incredible despite a high of -15F throughout the weekend. Very jealous of living that close to it.

Thanks, I appreciate that! I've seen the bits accessible from the Trans Canada about seven thousand times, and that's almost all superslab dedicated to the efficient movement of goods and humans. Astonishing views, not much fun to ride. I don't usually get a park pass, since you don't need one if you're driving through, but yesterday I bought one to access the Icefields and the newly-repaved 1A/Bow Valley Parkway, and that was a nice change of pace. The 1A in particular has a little stretch at 40km/h that's densely packed with proper twisties, and this was my first time hitting it without getting caught behind three child-filled SUVs and a work truck.

If you're ever out this way in the summer I also strongly recommend the #40/Highwood Pass through Kananaskis. Just as mountainous as Banff, no park pass required, and instead of shooting down a broad valley you're riding big ol' sweepers around the limbs of the mountains.

Or bring a dualsport and hit the forestry trunk road and the Smith-dorian.

Right Arm, that's an excellent photo of Lake Louise.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

thanks!! I was up in mid september iirc and it we were leaving right as most of the sites were closing. only hit rain once we got back close to the border. it was a lovely trip and canadians are wonderful people :D

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

newly-repaved 1A/Bow Valley Parkway
Now I'm jelly. :D

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

thanks!! I was up in mid september iirc and it we were leaving right as most of the sites were closing. only hit rain once we got back close to the border. it was a lovely trip and canadians are wonderful people :D

I don't know how you only hit rain once, I found weather forecasts in Banff to be pretty much unusable and I had constant rain out of nowhere, then it would be sunny, then back to rain. It didn't seem like July was a great time for motorcycling there, unless you're in a waterpoof aerostitch on a dad bike.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Phy posted:

If you're ever out this way in the summer I also strongly recommend the #40/Highwood Pass through Kananaskis. Just as mountainous as Banff, no park pass required, and instead of shooting down a broad valley you're riding big ol' sweepers around the limbs of the mountains.

Quoted for truth. The #40 past Kananaskis is absolutely incredible. There are some excellent campgrounds in the area, plus the hotels Nordic spa is amazing. Phy, your ZRX is absolutely gorgeous and I am super jealous.

Also, drat it Chris Knight, now I really need to remove those decals.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't know how you only hit rain once, I found weather forecasts in Banff to be pretty much unusable and I had constant rain out of nowhere, then it would be sunny, then back to rain. It didn't seem like July was a great time for motorcycling there, unless you're in a waterpoof aerostitch on a dad bike.

lol i have no idea either. first night in CA was at peter lougheed and then we moved north everyday after a bit of offroading and gravel, but every day we were like a day ahead of the rain. only hit a drizzle once we we got on the ferry across kootenay, so we all had time to put rain gear on while we crossed

only other bit of rain was back down in WA on the reservation where we ran into thunder and hail, but we just hung out at a gas station and drank some beers with some mexicans. good times

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

Phy, your ZRX is absolutely gorgeous and I am super jealous.

The left is definitely its "good side", from the right you can see the gibbled badging and the badly-repainted spot on the tank that used to be a dent from where my weestrom blew over on top of it (e: but seriously thank you, i love this goddamn bike)

MomJeans420 posted:

Oh, yeah, that's the mountains. I don't know if it's like that in other places with mountains, but there's little microclimates all over. Even with a 0% chance of rain in Banff, you could hit a patch of weather 30 minutes or an hour's ride away.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 7, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

McTinkerson posted:

After selling my mold-wing / naked flat-track-ish GL1100 back in 2016, I'm finally back on two wheels.

Left over 2019 Duke 390. 0 km on it. Which means engine break in is ongoing. Just about to pass 700km after a month of puttering around town.

I love this thing and that's with the revs being limited to 6000rpm.

My favorite bike I’ve owned to ride regularly

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I've been eyeing a Super Duke. Help :ohdear:

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

kloa posted:

One of my best pals bought one in April and has put almost 10,000km on it already, he absolutely loves it. Hope that helps!

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

kloa posted:

let me regale you with the tales of my fantastic reliability of the lc8 in my SAR :D

(not kidding, it rules, you'll love it)