Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most people thought Starkiller Base blew up Coruscant.

it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you've watched the other Star Wars movies then the only way to know the death star didn't blow up Coruscant is to consult a wiki

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

2house2fly posted:

If you've watched the other Star Wars movies then the only way to know the death star didn't blow up Coruscant is to consult a wiki

Please, be fair to the ST. You could have consulted a children's dinner mat too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the theory goes that they took all the exposition out of TFA because the whole point was to be comfort food and they were afraid talking about things might make people have PTSD flashbacks to the prequels

If only the Star Wars movies had an already existing and accepted way to get exposition about the state of the setting across right at the start of the movie...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

And I guarantee you it was written to be that way. Disney vetoed that because it would mean they had to pay Georgie.

How did Disney acquire Star Wars again?

Paying George is not what stopped them from doing it.

The more likely reason is because you can’t set future Star Wars stories on a place that’s been blown to smithereens and since Disney paid for the right to tell potential future video game/comic book/tv show/spinoff movie stories on that planet for the purpose of generating revenue from their franchise, why would they blow it up?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://twitter.com/elijahwood/status/1229632586760081409?s=20

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

That's funny because I saw a red swastika, not a red star. Also 3PO and the enslaved stormtrooper were the good guys.

The nazi symbol is black and has four points. The “Star Killer” has five points, and is extremely red.

That the imagery of the red star/hand is associated with specific ‘good guys’ is on purpose. It is associated with slaves: human slaves, droids, caged monsters, and ultimately Darth Vader (who is the union of all three in one body - monstrous droid-human hybrid, simultaneously the incarnation of God).

Though Snoke is twisting this message to promote slavery because he’s secretly under the control of the literal devil, the truth of the First Order is that it is a Vaderist organization. It exists to finish what Vader started: to free the slaves.

This is a metaphor for how the communist ideal was abused in the Soviet Union - a failure is likened to how the teachings of Christ were twisted by later churches. Snoke is both Stalin-figure and Catholic pope.

Is there actually a reason why it means full communism?

Darth Vader is literally Space Christ.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 7, 2020

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Robot Style posted:

Back in the 90's, there were plans to do a book explaining the history of the Star Wars galaxy, which would have explained that the first Skywalker was a descendant of Ron Howard's character from American Graffiti who learned to levitate while leading a slave revolt against the species that would evolve into the Hutts.

ok I know I’m late on this but what? the first movie starts with “a long time ago” it’s like one of the most famous parts. how would American Graffiti precede anything

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Mandrel posted:

ok I know I’m late on this but what? the first movie starts with “a long time ago” it’s like one of the most famous parts. how would American Graffiti precede anything

American Grafitti was really set in 1962 BBY in another galaxy. It' s like one of those star trek planets where it's just like earth for no reason.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The Little Death posted:

American Grafitti was really set in 1962 BBY in another galaxy. It' s like one of those star trek planets where it's just like earth for no reason.

set on an alternate Earth where high-schoolers just look like that

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

And I guarantee you it was written to be that way. Disney vetoed that because it would mean they had to pay Georgie.

This is gibberish. You think there was a clause in the acquisition agreement that Disney can’t say the word “Coruscant” without paying George Lucas royalties? Somehow they can’t invoke Coruscant but they can utilize the rest of the IP to their hearts content? You have no idea what you’re talking about.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beyond the 4 billion they Already paid him ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmao. He makes a good point

Also the wayfinders should have been called Holocrons. Since they are holocrons

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Brutal

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

This is gibberish. You think there was a clause in the acquisition agreement that Disney can’t say the word “Coruscant” without paying George Lucas royalties? Somehow they can’t invoke Coruscant but they can utilize the rest of the IP to their hearts content? You have no idea what you’re talking about.

It's extra funny because Lucas didn't even come up with Coruscant

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All these IPs are yours except Coruscant. Attempt no movies there

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

That lucas royalty dodging thing was a buzzy rumor months ago but I dont remember any evidence

There's a whole cottage industry of youtube supershadows that churn that crap out, most recently Sheev's Hall of Mirrors to reboot the sequel trilogy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It has some explanatory power as an attempt to explain some of the weirdness with the many offbrand planets in the sequel trilogy (jakku, hosnian, the non-forest moon of endor, the two different non yavin yavin planets, etc etc) but ultimately, as with everything in the sequel trilogy, the overwhelming confusion of everyone involved wins out

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It would be pretty insane for Lucas to want royalties on planet names and not X wings and Tie fighters

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

And all of those locations are embarrassingly bloodless imitations designed to make the funko pop addled mind squirt the good star war chemical. You could pick any two planets from the order 66 montage and see more effort than the whole ST

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Sheev has a goddamn Time Machine :allears:

I'm inclined to believe smoke, fire, etc.

You just knooow when it gets pulled back out the attic, its gonna be something really stupid like "The ST happened, but the Real episode 7-9 is actually happening here! No OT characters, but we have a coherent script!" or someone deciding to gently caress with the Great Hyperspace War and change the timeline to be "Ooops, All Sith!".

I'm with it. Fire that Chekov's Gun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't that basically just be Star Trek 09?

...oooh, I know the logical hellworld next step: remake trilogy. Starting with the prequels.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If the old republic trilogy goes well, or even if it's just not a disaster, I think it's totally plausible that will just become the setting for everything disney wars going forward. The ST withdrew what they could from the OT cadre, and they're increasingly elderly and dying off in any case. The future of star wars is zoomers, and if they can just get ahsoka into the past somehow they have a shot at renewed money extraction for generations

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Coruscant was the one prequel thing I was sure they were gonna bring back for the sequels. Seemed impossible that they’d handwave away the central seat of the galactic government. Ah well. Even beyond it’s usefulness for narrative, Coruscant is limitless in visual storytelling possibilities, especially when they are clearly out of ideas for interesting outdoor settings.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Decisive counter argument: It was prominently featured in the prequels, and would have reminded people of them. Ticket closed

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

No Mods No Masters posted:

Decisive counter argument: It was prominently featured in the prequels, and would have reminded people of them. Ticket closed

Its this

The sequel trilogy in general (and seemingly JJ in specific) is absolutely loving terrified of even gently reminding the audience that the prequels exist, which is why TFA is so allergic to even hinting at galactic politics and why we never saw Hayden Christensen appear to Kylo as a force ghost, even though that’s such an incredibly obvious Thing to do.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

You can just click on the upside down question mark on the very first post there, op.

I meant where does SMG start

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think I might be the only person that believes TFA set up the status of the galaxy fairly well by showing and not telling. Only exception was when Hosnian Prime went brrrrrrrrrrrrr and Finn runs at the camera to tell us the Republic is gone!

Also TLJ is unambiguous about the FO being the Nazis. It literally describes their blitzkrieg in the opening crawl.

TFA makes no sense on the background. If the Republic is in control of the galaxy then why is it funding a resistance group to fight the First Order? What's the balance of power here? Can the FO just walk over the Republic with their massive space fleet? TLJ implies that pretty strongly. Then why are they bothering with Starkiller base? Likewise in RoS there is a comparable scene where Ren and the First Order are discussing whether to accept Palpatine's offer, but the FO is already established as being effectively in control of every place of interest in the galaxy already. Why do they need Palpatine's fleet? It would make more sense if they were worried that their initial blitz was running out of momentum and the half of the galaxy they haven't subjugated is mobilising against them, which would also set up how Lando is able to come to the rescue at the end, except JJ doesn't want to do that. The only thing approaching an interesting point in that scene is where a general reasonably asks "What are we giving up in return?" and Ren kills him immediately, which should cause the rest to start worrying a bit.

In each of the original films you can sum up what's going on in the background of our hero's story in a sentence: "the Empire needs the Death Star to prevent widespread rebellion breaking out", "The Rebels need to escape the Imperial attack and regroup", "The Imperial Fleet is dispersed across the galaxy in a vain attempt to engage us and the time for our attack is now...". In the prequels it's a lot more messy and actually less in the background because you see Palpatine doing his plot on-screen rather than off-screen but it's there. At no point in the Sequel Trilogy is it remotely clear at any point what any particular group is actually trying to achieve and what's holding them back from achieving it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They pretty much put themselves in a corner by having a background that kind of required politics to explain, but also an absolute prohibition against having politics in the movie since politics were in the prequels and would have reminded people of them. If anything they needed to soft seaboot even more and just start with empire/rebels from square one. Rian was actually the most clear minded about this intuition and tried to fudge it into place

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mandrel posted:

In the book, 25th century Earth is on the verge of changing into the computer-controlled dystopia from THX-1138, and a descendant of American Graffiti's Curtis Henderson is to become THX-0001. Since he and the others resisting the computers can't beat them, they decide to steal a mining starship and head to Alpha Centauri to colonize a new world. Along the way, they fall into a wormhole that transports them through time and space, dumping them into a faraway galaxy a billion years in the past.

The humans end up getting abducted by slavers, and a descendant of the descendant of Ron Howard ends up developing Force powers to help lead a slave revolt, which earns him the name Skywalker.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The nazi symbol is black and has four points. The “Star Killer” has five points, and is extremely red.

That the imagery of the red star/hand is associated with specific ‘good guys’ is on purpose. It is associated with slaves: human slaves, droids, caged monsters, and ultimately Darth Vader (who is the union of all three in one body - monstrous droid-human hybrid, simultaneously the incarnation of God).

Though Snoke is twisting this message to promote slavery because he’s secretly under the control of the literal devil, the truth of the First Order is that it is a Vaderist organization. It exists to finish what Vader started: to free the slaves.

This is a metaphor for how the communist ideal was abused in the Soviet Union - a failure is likened to how the teachings of Christ were twisted by later churches. Snoke is both Stalin-figure and Catholic pope.

Darth Vader is literally Space Christ.

Frankly the First Order was probably not Stalinist enough, as it largely failed to purge the opportunists and fascist collaborators within its own ranks.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

In spite of all of the supposed hatred of the prequels, which I think is mostly a mirage at this point, does anyone really believe they are so toxic that there is reflexive hatred of absolutely every component of them? Would people be upset if they brought back the concept of a “padawan”, or a double-edged lightsaber, or had one act of one movie return to Coruscant, or any of those other innocuous things?

To the extent that Coruscant is associated with the principal “crime” of the prequels (“too much politics!”), that can easily be avoided by leaning into the potential noir setting of the surface/underground of the city (as they did to great effect in the first act of AOTC). I sincerely doubt even the most vocal idiots on the Internet would’ve raised a fuss if Coruscant was revisited in a new and interesting way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

In spite of all of the supposed hatred of the prequels, which I think is mostly a mirage at this point, does anyone really believe they are so toxic that there is reflexive hatred of absolutely every component of them? Would people be upset if they brought back the concept of a “padawan”, or a double-edged lightsaber, or had one act of one movie return to Coruscant, or any of those other innocuous things?

To the extent that Coruscant is associated with the principal “crime” of the prequels (“too much politics!”), that can easily be avoided by leaning into the potential noir setting of the surface/underground of the city (as they did to great effect in the first act of AOTC). I sincerely doubt even the most vocal idiots on the Internet would’ve raised a fuss if Coruscant was revisited in a new and interesting way.

You're right, but convince a studio executive of that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It probably wouldn't have hurt to openly reference the prequels (in fact people would probably have liked it- I suspect "I know that reference :)" is stronger in people's minds than "I didn't like that movie :(") but it wouldn't be the first time Disney made big decisions that weren't rooted in reality

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

If you watch the Lindsay Ellis breakdown of the new Beauty and the Beast, you can tell that Disney execs are extremely online at this point. They are right in nerd culture, totally misinterpreting what they are seeing as representative of general audiences. what I'm saying is that this is redlettermedia's fault, it is 100% because of their stupid movies that idiot Disney execs thought that they needed to distance themselves from the prequel trilogy as much as they did. I'm not trying to give JJ too much credit, but I'm sure that his script writing started with a list of stipulations from Disney execs who don't actually understand how stories work, but wanted a bunch of do's and don'ts based on what they thought the market for Star wars was.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'll never forgive rich evans, for causing this

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'll never forgive rich evans, for causing this

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The most interesting stupid executive mandate is having absolutely no alien characters in the foreground. Even Chewbacca is sidelined.

Ferrinus posted:

Frankly the First Order was probably not Stalinist enough, as it largely failed to purge the opportunists and fascist collaborators within its own ranks.

Right! A critical point I like to return to is that the First Order (under Snoke) is basically the generic 'apolitical' totalitarianism of 1984. This makes them more akin to HYDRA in the later Marvel movies or SPECTRE in the Bond films. Like, in 1984, the baddies straight-up say that they are neither nazis nor soviets.

However, in all these cases, this is specifically a depoliticization of Soviet imagery. This is most obvious in how Bond's SPECTRE replaces SMERSH, but you also have Winter Soldier's robot arm with red star ("you probably don't recognize me because of the red arm") - and the issues with 1984 are covered in Isaac Asimov's absolutely brutal takedown.

This is related to Zizek's often-stated point that there has been tons of good material about the rise and evils of fascism, but we don't really see much theory as to how or why the Soviet Union went bad. The predominant narrative is that the Ruskies just became nazi-like due to insufficient liberalism.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Which is why Arendt’s Origins of Totalitarianism is such an instructive text when examining fictional so-called “depoliticized” Hitlerian/Stalinist regimes.
Regardless of whether the FO can be meaningfully described as either fascist or communist (although the seeming lack of significant non-human integration arguably implies the former) Arendt’s framework demonstrates that the Empire and FO were totalitarian in nature, with the Death Stars replacing Hitler’s and Stalin’s concentration camp as the central institution of organizational power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
"Totalitarianism" is a fake idea. The actual instrument of any regime's power is the bog-standard police and prison system, and those only serve so long as the bulk of the people basically assent to the regime's legitimacy. The Death Star is analogous to the Nazi concentration camps in that it represented an insane and self-defeating resource sink for which the ruling ideology could simply not abandon, but you're kidding yourself if you think the citizens of the Reich were all good liberals who were all simply too scared of of Hitler to dissent.