Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The promised road trip will be taking place Outside and the silly will only last about five minutes.

Katalepsis is a great demonstration of the value of tonal contrast in a story. It's like the exact opposite of Wildbow, and it makes me wish the silly shenanigans bits of Worm were a lot more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I personally would prefer slightly less silly in Katalepsis.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I personally would prefer slightly less silly in Katalepsis.

:frogout:

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
These recent Wandering Inn chapters kinda bum me out with the allusions to ongoing events. It's enjoyable to read nonetheless but it's a bummer to get drawn back into reality when you were trying to escape. Also did the author always cut back into the inn during alphabet chapters for a significant portion of the chapter? I don't remember her doing that so much and devoting it mainly to those other regions or viewpoints.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

shirunei posted:

These recent Wandering Inn chapters kinda bum me out with the allusions to ongoing events. It's enjoyable to read nonetheless but it's a bummer to get drawn back into reality when you were trying to escape. Also did the author always cut back into the inn during alphabet chapters for a significant portion of the chapter? I don't remember her doing that so much and devoting it mainly to those other regions or viewpoints.

she started doing it more in vol 6 as a means to keep the readers invested in new viewpoints

also yeah, TWI 7.33 I wasn't expecting the chapter to jump from mining hijinks straight into intersectional racism :smith:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i too dislike it when authors attempt to provide meaning and context to the things they are writing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The new Pale chapter is Pretty Rad. Pay attention on your first Read through and maybe you can feel smarter than I did.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

A big flaming stink posted:

she started doing it more in vol 6 as a means to keep the readers invested in new viewpoints

also yeah, TWI 7.33 I wasn't expecting the chapter to jump from mining hijinks straight into intersectional racism :smith:

I had not finished the newest free chapter when I wrote the post and the ending of that basically sums up why. They are no longer alone and the world is a much more connected place these days Guess I should finish these before whining.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

shirunei posted:

TWI has always been about these things; the setup for the seemingly too-on-the-nose topical events was written months and/or years ago. at this point if something big happens in innworld that could happen in real life you should probably prepare for it to actually happen.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I still wonder how many zombie outbreak stories got trash canned over the span of maybe a week

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jazerus posted:

TWI has always been about these things; the setup for the seemingly too-on-the-nose topical events was written months and/or years ago. at this point if something big happens in innworld that could happen in real life you should probably prepare for it to actually happen.

Yup, the Yellow Rivers disease was in the story long before covid reared its ugly head from what I remember.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So, stumbled across this gem in the third chapter of a new LitRpg I was giving a try.

Bitter posted:

She could see how people got obsessed with them, but only in the way you could get obsessed with scrunching up sheets of paper and lobbing them into a bin on the other side of the room. Mindless, repetitive actions soothed people who had nothing better to do. Video games were another version of catching a ball in a cup.

Why would you write that in a LitRPG? One about playing an MMO even. :psyduck:

I understand feeling that way, but why would you write an MMO story if you did? It's not even a, oh look at this stupid person moment. That's the viewpoint character thinking that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Also from what I've gathered from the discord, pirateaba had always been planning the golden triangle blowing up and subsequent riots manipulated by scared rich people long before it was unfortunately topical, and made some minor changes to make the whole thing less... that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Pirateaba is the protagonist of a do-over web novel and they're using their second chance to warn us about 2020 through TWI.

And speaking of TWI, latest nonpatron update: Oh man, long-awaited meeting finally happened. I am, of course, talking about Erin's 9th chess match with Teriarch :v:

Really looking forward to seeing what comes next, this volume's set a collision course in motion for most of the earthers and this is the biggest leap forward yet; I've gotten so used to the slow burn that I thought everything that happened in this chapter would take another 5 volumes to get to.

Argue fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 8, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Argue posted:

And speaking of TWI, latest nonpatron update: Oh man, long-awaited meeting finally happened.

Silver Swords catching Ryoka

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just caught up with Vainqueur the Dragon and I wanted to recommend it. It is LitRPG trash, but funny and fairly well written LitRPG trash.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

New Pale interlude:

- The Belangers are real interesting and this continues to be my jam.
- Snowdrop sucks, and doesn't care about Avery, and I am very sad about this development.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The Humble Life of a Skill Trainer is very good. The writing is engrossing and exciting. Since this is the web serial thread, I'll add that I haven't seen any misspellings or typos. The story is internally consistent. The main character is surprisingly likeable. Unfortunately, it only updates 2-3 times a week, so there's not very much of it yet.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon: This chapter was just bad. It was boring, wasn't funny, and didn't really go anywhere. Maybe this just happens with Rhir chapters? Which is a shame because Pirateaba's recent writing has been quite good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Peachfart posted:

I just caught up with Vainqueur the Dragon and I wanted to recommend it. It is LitRPG trash, but funny and fairly well written LitRPG trash.

picked this up and it's delightfully stupid, thanks for the recommendation

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just caught up with the recent PracGuide chapters. I feel like we're seeing some trend of Catherine becoming more isolated. Hakram is obviously mostly out of the picture indefinitely, she just likely created a long-term (if not permanent) rift in her relationship with White Knight, and she's distancing herself from Vivienne. I also get the impression that Archer is starting to really mature (with the interlude where she decides to make an earnest effort at mending her relationship with Concocter basically being the turning point), and to some extent that's going to make her less "bound" to Catherine, even though they'll still be friends (and Archer and Masego seem to be closer to each other now than either are to Catherine).

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

LLSix posted:

I think Homicidal Aliens are Invading and All I Got is This Stat Menu is a more fun take on the same idea. Still an alien invasion, but much more upbeat and light-hearted. As you can probably tell from the title.

This one's also on indefinite hiatus, unfortunately.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

John Lee posted:

This one's also on indefinite hiatus, unfortunately.

I hadn't noticed. The last couple chapters are basically an epilogue anyways. There was a good stopping point before the current one too, and I kind of feel like it would have made a better ending.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy poo poo the latest Threads of Destiny chapter.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm on 5.32g of TWI Where someone's interfered with the mage spells to force Lakens soldiers to attack and I'm loving real tired of Magnolia's bullshit

I don't know it's magnolia, but who the gently caress else could it be

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy poo poo the latest Threads of Destiny chapter.

Yeah, that's...that's sure a thing. Was definitely not expecting the problem with the various Sun/jungle theories to be that they were wildly underestimating how hosed up the situation is.

Given how hosed CRX got from brief accidental exposure to a White's full power, pretty sure this is RIP Sun Liling, whatever's left after they literally tear out all of her blood probably ain't gonna resemble her much anymore.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

tithin posted:

There's more groups in play.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Nick Buntline posted:

Given how hosed CRX got from brief accidental exposure to a White's full power, pretty sure this is RIP Sun Liling, whatever's left after they literally tear out all of her blood probably ain't gonna resemble her much anymore.

Well, CRX was barely red.On the other hand, this is power being used much more intentionally & on a deeper level here.

And I expect that it would have been preferred to happen much much later (like in a few decades in Cyan/Violet) with a stronger foundation and way set, if at all.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What I don't get is, what's the point? The Sun family's leadership is pretty much all thralled/brain-zapped by the jungle already, what does it gain by yoinking sun liling in particular? Given how much of a problem that poo poo is, I'm pretty sure it didn't really need more firepower or influence.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

tithin posted:

I'm on 5.32g of TWI Where someone's interfered with the mage spells to force Lakens soldiers to attack and I'm loving real tired of Magnolia's bullshit

If I recall correctly, even now we don't know for sure who it was, but it wasn't her. I think Magnolia prefers peace with goblins, less because of altruistic reasons and more because she considers the true enemy of the world to be the antinium.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Omi no Kami posted:

What I don't get is, what's the point? The Sun family's leadership is pretty much all thralled/brain-zapped by the jungle already, what does it gain by yoinking sun liling in particular? Given how much of a problem that poo poo is, I'm pretty sure it didn't really need more firepower or influence.

My interpretation from the chapter is that it's basically realpolitik - The Sun's major issue/gripe is that the ancient clans basically practice MAD amongst themselves due to their Sublime Ancestors, so when the Bai start doing poo poo like "actively poisoning every member of the Sun they can get their hands on", no one can/wants to call them on it. They had plans in work to counter this, but the Empress doesn't seem to be interested in continuing her predecessor's work centralizing power in the government/sects, and the Cai/Bai alliance indicates the non-Sublime Ancestor clans also aren't interested in helping counteract them, so Grandpa Sun basically views his only option as "officially make the jungle our Sublime Ancestor so people will stop starting poo poo with us". And unfortunately that means Sun Liling has to get "adopted" (read: forcibly turned spiritblood so the jungle is now literally her/her descendant's ancestor and will continue to protect them going forward).

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

the jungle didn't want liling, the grandfather wanted to secure the clan against the future. the sun clan doesn't have any power outside of the western provinces with the aunt dying and so they have to do something to secure their power within the province. the jungle just wanted the grandfather for whatever reason (it is implied that the goddess loves him but who knows). i'm pretty sure the goddess was just after getting a white firmly under her control in terms of strategy.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

the jungle didn't want liling, the grandfather wanted to secure the clan against the future. the sun clan doesn't have any power outside of the western provinces with the aunt dying and so they have to do something to secure their power within the province. the jungle just wanted the grandfather for whatever reason (it is implied that the goddess loves him but who knows). i'm pretty sure the goddess was just after getting a white firmly under her control in terms of strategy.

Ooh that makes, sense, yeah. Because I can totally see what the Sun get out of it, to wit not being effortlessly annihilated by the Cai/Bai, but since the jungle/goddess appears to already have what it wants, I was hazier on their motivations for playing ball- the Sun seem like somewhat of a captive audience in that regard.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a forum that originally started for nerds to argue over whether star wars ships could beat Star trek ships in a fight or whatever, with excessively complicated citation and debate rules. It's grown a lot from that origin but still has quite a lot of the most insufferable kind of nerd imaginable, so be wary.
Reminds me of the D&D bear vs 6 year olds thread. The subforum, not the game system.

edit: dang that was an old post, happens when you have literally hundreds of tabs open I guess.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wow thats a lot of tabs, I usually cull what I dont need open when I get to around 25-30.

The wandering Inn chapter a couple days ago wasn't particularly exciting, it felt more like a large info dump about loads of characters so that we will feel a bit bad when they get horribly murdered in the next one. Rhir sucks.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

LLSix posted:

The Humble Life of a Skill Trainer is very good. The writing is engrossing and exciting. Since this is the web serial thread, I'll add that I haven't seen any misspellings or typos. The story is internally consistent. The main character is surprisingly likeable. Unfortunately, it only updates 2-3 times a week, so there's not very much of it yet.

Thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed it. I don't know if I have seen a low fantasy LitRPG before, and it's pretty refreshing.

I think part of what makes the mc likable is that even though it's his PoV, the writing does a good job of showing you that he is kind of an obsessive, socially maladapted weirdo. That really plays well with how the various social dynamics work out. Allows some good dramatic irony.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Argue posted:

If I recall correctly, even now we don't know for sure who it was, but it wasn't her. I think Magnolia prefers peace with goblins, less because of altruistic reasons and more because she considers the true enemy of the world to be the antinium.

It was at least heavily implied if not stated outright that Tyrion Veltras was behind it, to manipulate Laken into the attack on Liscor.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
The wandering Inn In a later chapter when Ryoka is talking to Laken, she accuses Lady Rie of masterminding the plot. Because Tyrion had asked all his nobles with a truth stone if they did it and none of them were lying which vexed Laken.

It is implied that Lady Rie did it on behalf of the Circle of Thorns to create a rift between Laken and the 5 families.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

More specifically, Lady Rie did it to try to create a rift between Laken and Magnolia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been seeing some Threads of Destiny spoiler-chat. I've been avoiding reading anything for the last 3-4 months, so I'll have a lot of content to binge once I do.

The Shortest Path posted:

Wow thats a lot of tabs, I usually cull what I dont need open when I get to around 25-30.

The wandering Inn chapter a couple days ago wasn't particularly exciting, it felt more like a large info dump about loads of characters so that we will feel a bit bad when they get horribly murdered in the next one. Rhir sucks.

Yeah, my friend once took a screenshot to show me, and he also had seemingly hundreds of tabs open. How do you even make use of that? My limit is once I stop being able to identify what's in the tab by looking at it (which on my ultra-wide monitor is like ~30 tabs).