Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jaded Burnout posted:

Camels are also an invasive species in Australia from what I remember and trucking around the interior in swarms, so they're probably glad to be rid of them.

(I may be slightly mixing up their camel problem with their emu problem but I think they're both problems)
Oh I know why Australia wants rid, but not why Saudi Arabia wants more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh I know why Australia wants rid, but not why Saudi Arabia wants more...

Saudis eat camel meat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well that explains that then. Now I know.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Saudis eat camel meat.

What do they do with the sand?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bell jar posted:

Desert sand is not useful for a lot of building activities. You need ocean sand, which they don't have enough of.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Motronic posted:

Desert sand is not useful for a lot of building activities. You need ocean sand, which they don't have enough of.

You want sand that has a sharp grain structure so when it's packed together it holds it's shape. Sand dune sand is more rounded and doesn't do well as fill for your fake-UN map of the world artificial island project.

There is actually a thriving black market for sand, and sand thieves are a thing. They stripped the beaches clean overnight on one island, got shot at by the locals, it was a fun read.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_theft

This is a THING?? Really??? :psyduck:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/07/13/628894815/episode-853-peak-sand

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Musical accompaniment for sandchat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqdjaz2Upg

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jaded Burnout posted:

Camels are also an invasive species in Australia from what I remember and trucking around the interior in swarms, so they're probably glad to be rid of them.

(I may be slightly mixing up their camel problem with their emu problem but I think they're both problems)

I hit a camel in a mine-spec LandCruiser once, driving through scrubby territory near the Tanami Desert. Just turned a corner at 40km/h and he was sitting in the middle of the road, I guess chilling? It ruined his day (dead) and ruined mine (had to spend an hour pressure washing him out of the bullbar and grill).

Emus aren't invasive, they're endemic, but because they don't eat much and they don't really live anywhere anyone else wants to live they're fine.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

bell jar posted:

Sand blasting, for one. Australian sand is coarse enough to scrub paint off the surface yet fine enough to be blown out of a nozzle.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

Sand blasting, for one. Australian sand is coarse enough to scrub paint off the surface yet fine enough to be blown out of a nozzle.

Much like the Australian people themselves, really

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

One of the major exports of North Korea, apart from drugs, counterfeit money and cyber crime, is sand.

They're sanctioned to hell though so there are illegal sand deals being done in the ocean where it's transfered between ships to hide it's origin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-is-making-millions-selling-sand-yes-sand/ar-BB15gxrD

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sand sanctions is Tom Clancy level poo poo

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

This was a fun RFO to see today:

quote:

It was identified that while working on card replacement activity on the gateway, the engineer disconnected the VoIP Gateway from the network.

Somebody probably got fired for that one.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kaethela posted:

We had someone disconnect the power from the production storage for our core business system at 2 in the afternoon. He's still here.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
About six months before I started, one of the other engineers managed to delete the VMware lun that had our at the time primary on premise business application/SQL server. In the middle of the day.

He’s still employed, but no longer an engineer or has access to mess anything up except for the area he is now responsible for.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

there used to be plans for a big construction some 300m away from where i live, but when yugoslavia went hosed, so did the plans. the giant piles of sand they had prepared for construction stayed for a couple years though. when they finally decided to maybe go pick up their sand, like half of it was missing, every month you'd see a car or two with a trailer and no plates stop by and pick some up.

also, it's how one of my neighbours renovated their house real cheap. :v:

fake edit: i see someone already posted about the jamaican beach too

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kaethela posted:

That wasn't by chance somewhere in the general area of Northeast Ohio or Western Pennsylvania. was it? Had some issues with one of my carriers recently that would fit this description.

quote:

Nah, not unless it was malicious or they were already on the edge for some other reasons. Bumping a loose cable or accidentally unplugging the wrong thing happens from time to time. People make mistakes and sometimes things are just installed in a precarious way.

A few years back we had a zero-day vuln in a web interface lead to someone managing to install a PHP shell on a few of our systems. I was using MultiSSH to look for and clean it up on all of the relevant machines at once. Turns out the folder that it landed in didn't even exist on some of those machines, and I didn't notice when a few of them threw an error to my "cd" command. Went to delete that part of the folder structure to replace with a known good copy and noticed "hmm, this delete command is taking longer than expected" which then immediately turned in to a sinking feeling.

Fortunately this was at rear end-thirty in the morning so I had a few hours before the customers using those systems would be in, so I got to give our backups a real-world test.

I think everyone who's been in this industry for long enough has either been directly or indirectly responsible for some kind of outage at least once. As long as we're all learning and not repeating the same mistakes it is what it is.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Kaethela posted:

My network guy took out our whole virtual environment by disconnecting the "backup" network in the middle of the day. Had a horrible cascade effect.

He also changed the VPN routing address mid day a few weeks ago. Gg taking an entire company offline in the middle of a pandemic while everyone is working from home.

He still works here. People like that never get fired in my experience.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

wolrah posted:

I think everyone who's been in this industry for long enough has either been directly or indirectly responsible for some kind of outage at least once. As long as we're all learning and not repeating the same mistakes it is what it is.

And if you haven’t, you clearly haven’t been trusted with access to critical systems. That’s my favorite interview question: “tell me about a time you caused an outage, the impact to the business, the recovery process, and what you learned from it?”

If they can’t think of one they’re either lying or never had enough access to break things.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I took our entire phone system down for a full day because I power cycled our ucm server.

gently caress ucm.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What did you think was gonna happen?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Fool posted:

I took our entire phone system down for a full day because I power cycled our ucm server.

gently caress ucm.

Yes but when approached about this did you apologize and try to fix your mistake as quickly as possible OR did you immediately blame the client engineering folks for not reading your mind on what you THOUGHT the new VPN address should have been in every client in the company? Because my network dude immediately implied this was ~my fault~ despite never putting in a CM to change the VPN or add a backup VPN address into our clients.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

What did you think was gonna happen?

The entire unit was already non-responsive on the network. Phones weren't working, the vm's weren't responsive, and vsphere wasn't responsive.

I was expecting that power-cycling the unit would allow everything to boot back up.

I was not expecting the ucm vm to become corrupt and then have to spend my entire day restoring from backups.

silicone thrills posted:

Yes but when approached about this did you apologize and try to fix your mistake as quickly as possible OR did you immediately blame the client engineering folks for not reading your mind on what you THOUGHT the new VPN address should have been in every client in the company? Because my network dude immediately implied this was ~my fault~ despite never putting in a CM to change the VPN or add a backup VPN address into our clients.

Oh, I immediately went to my boss and told him I hosed up and what I was going to do to fix it.

e: I think this was the issue: https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCvh55176 I don't remember the bit about vmtools, but the bug has been updated since we had the problem

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 9, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I've told this story before, but I rebuilt a door access controller as a VM after the old PC running it failed, restored a backup, everything looked good, then I connected it up to the network so it could see all the doors.

Obviously I had rebuilt on the latest version of the software and each door needed a firmware update, so they all dutifully sat around waiting for their turn to update, helpfully not processing any badge reads in the meantime and remaining locked.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

helpfully not processing any badge reads in the meantime and remaining locked.

Our work had a good solution for a secure door which lost power to it's access control striker for a bit...

Put a key in it and leave it there. Hope no one removes it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

devmd01 posted:

That’s my favorite interview question: “tell me about a time you caused an outage, the impact to the business, the recovery process, and what you learned from it?”

Had to think for a minute but I remember the one time I had been using the Solaris modular debugger on the kernel of a production mission-critical DB server to get performance data so I could troubleshoot a problem. I left the window open, thinking I'd close it once I was sure the problem was solved. At the end of the day, when I wanted to shut down, I went and typed "exit" into every open window, disconnected my screen session, and logged out. The next morning I re-opened screen and saw that my mdb session was still open. Oh, right, exit isn't how you exit mdb on Solaris. Control-d is how you do that. I pressed control-d.

What I found out later is that exit means nothing to mdb in and of itself, but it was in the command buffer when I hit control-d, so the mdb just passed that along to the kernel. Which is how I killed the kernel of a production mission-critical Oracle database first thing in the morning.

From then on, I only ever touched mdb by using echo "exactly what I want, and yes, I checked twice" | mdb -k.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

wolrah posted:

That wasn't by chance somewhere in the general area of Northeast Ohio or Western Pennsylvania. was it? Had some issues with one of my carriers recently that would fit this description.

Nope, this was in Europe.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've never caused a major outage but I did accidentally push software on every computer in a 4000 computer SCCM instance by misclicking a collection once.

Then we actually fixed it by rebuilding our collections and changing how we were targeting software. I also had to create a package to silently delete it. luckily it was very smol and easy though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I once saw a sysadmin accidentally drop the production DB in the middle of the day. Restored it from a backup, wasn't too bad.

Personally I once typed something like `install-bsd DESTINATION= /path/to/the/jail` instead of `install-bsd DESTINATION=/path/to/the/jail`, which the OS interpreted as `install-bsd DESTINATION=/` and installed a fresh freebsd install right over the top of itself while it was running, in a data centre 250 miles away.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

silicone thrills posted:

I've never caused a major outage but I did accidentally push software on every computer in a 4000 computer SCCM instance by misclicking a collection once.

Then we actually fixed it by rebuilding our collections and changing how we were targeting software. I also had to create a package to silently delete it. luckily it was very smol and easy though.

At least you didn’t accidentally push an image job to every computer and server on campus like that one place a few years back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

On two different occasions I (a network guy) was trying to clear a BGP peer because one of the ISPs on that router was having issues/I was troubleshooting.

I typed in "clear ip bgp" with every intention of putting in the peer IP address. But hit enter.

Yes, that clears all peers. And this is how you drop 10,000 active simultaneous phone calls on the floor. That can't even call back again for several minutes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

Nah, not unless it was malicious or they were already on the edge for some other reasons. Bumping a loose cable or accidentally unplugging the wrong thing happens from time to time. People make mistakes and sometimes things are just installed in a precarious way.

A few years back we had a zero-day vuln in a web interface lead to someone managing to install a PHP shell on a few of our systems. I was using MultiSSH to look for and clean it up on all of the relevant machines at once. Turns out the folder that it landed in didn't even exist on some of those machines, and I didn't notice when a few of them threw an error to my "cd" command. Went to delete that part of the folder structure to replace with a known good copy and noticed "hmm, this delete command is taking longer than expected" which then immediately turned in to a sinking feeling.

Fortunately this was at rear end-thirty in the morning so I had a few hours before the customers using those systems would be in, so I got to give our backups a real-world test.

I once took down the main internal tool of a regional bank for a couple hours and didn't get fired.

My boss: "Restore everything from backup."
Backup team: "We need to send a request to the VP for approval before we can do that."
My boss: "I wasn't asking; I was telling. DO IT NOW."

Motronic posted:

On two different occasions I (a network guy) was trying to clear a BGP peer because one of the ISPs on that router was having issues/I was troubleshooting.

I typed in "clear ip bgp" with every intention of putting in the peer IP address. But hit enter.

Yes, that clears all peers. And this is how you drop 10,000 active simultaneous phone calls on the floor. That can't even call back again for several minutes.

I still remember when the BGP table went over (2? 4? whatever, some even number) GB. I was working at a large IT distributor at the time and all our calls for the next few days were people who suddenly found budget for a new router.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 10, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I somehow can't think of any serious outages I've caused, although I'm sure there have been some, but I know I lost 32TB of security logs (that weren't backed up) due to a puppet module that made a bad assumption about home directories always being unique.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the only outage I ever caused was the the badge in system for a bunch of gyms for like 5 minutes. I was told we needed to take a core dump of the java app while it was building up to a crash we couldn't track down, so as soon as the node started acting up, I hit the core dump.

I didn't realize that this froze the process :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I once accidentally reverted a router to default config, including wiping PPPoE creds, thinking I was backing up its config, due, I would argue, to a very badly written web interface which made extremely ambiguous use of the term "mirror config".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I learned that a major insurance company kept the European domain controller and backup domain controller on the same switch by unplugging every ethernet cable on said switch.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My company isn't big enough for me to blow up anything too huge; we're confined to a metropolitan area. I did bring down our core services during the middle of the day for a couple of minutes one time (did an IIS reset thinking I was logged into Test; I was not logged in to Test).

Not my fault but I did the actual deed: our software vendor told me a change to a calendaring function in order to automate some arduous, manual stuff when dealing with holidays would be fine. I asked for clarification, because I had a bad feeling, but was pretty new with the system, so when they came back in what seemed a vaguely annoyed tone to tell me "yes, it's fine," I made the change (one of our senior VPs wanted it done on New Years, I pushed it back to MLK day). It turns out the change they had me make made our core system skip the day entirely, meaning that when we came back on Tuesday, according to the system it was Wednesday. I discovered this the evening before, but had to push it through because once it started, we couldn't stop it.

In that vendor's defense, when they saw what happened, it was all-hands-on-deck in a way I had never, ever seen from them before (and definitely not since). I put in a ticket at one point and got a call back three minutes later from THREE people on a conference, two of whom I knew were middle-managers.

Do not recommend that week, though. Those meetings that you're sitting in with multiple VPs/C-levels asking a lot of questions, many of which you don't know the answers to are very, very unpleasant. Fixing it was... not fun. But honestly easier than I expected. And I learned a lot. And it isn't really something I hold against the vendor (unlike a lot of other poo poo) because they really stepped up.

EDIT: Oh, poo poo, deleted our entire training database one time. Had to rebuild it, took me like a week. Completely forgot about that. The first six months in my current position were... eventful. But I learned a lot!

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from poor judgement.

Let's see.... hosed up where the deny-all went in in a firewall ruleset. While working from home. Nobody was in the office thank goodness.

hosed up a cd followed by an rm -rf *. I was trying to clear /Library/Caches on a dying OS X box, so reinstalling wasn't a major chore.

Assigned the desktop backup scheme (which excluded videos) to the website (which had hundreds of hours of valuable digital strategy content). Then while the execs were all at a conference - on digital strategy - the RAID card on the web server died. Almost did get fired for that one. Didn't have to argue very hard in favor of cloud services after that though.

Blocked our largest client's IP range in an enthusiastic anti-spam measure targeted at Northern Europe in general.