Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can you guys recommend some similar mangas? I don't mean in terms of genre or fantasy element but in the feeling Chainsaw Man gives off. I especially like the sense of the grim unknown and the predication that it all makes from within the shadowy system yet unknown to the reader. I have read Fire Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Thoren posted:

Can you guys recommend some similar mangas? I don't mean in terms of genre or fantasy element but in the feeling Chainsaw Man gives off. I especially like the sense of the grim unknown and the predication that it all makes from within the shadowy system yet unknown to the reader.
Oh, if you like this you should definitely read

quote:

I have read Fire Punch.
...Nevermind

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

If you like gore and goofball comedy (and sudden switches between them), you should give Dorohedoro a try.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 10, 2020

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Thoren posted:

Can you guys recommend some similar mangas? I don't mean in terms of genre or fantasy element but in the feeling Chainsaw Man gives off. I especially like the sense of the grim unknown and the predication that it all makes from within the shadowy system yet unknown to the reader. I have read Fire Punch.

I got a similar feeling when I read Ragna Crimson.

Lurking Haro posted:

If you like gore and goofball comedy (and sudden switches between them), you should give Dorohedoro a try.

And you should definitely check out Dorohedoro.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the worst thing about ragna crimson is that there isn't very much of it.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://imgur.com/a/KhoU8UD

Speed Translation for today's chapter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the worst thing about ragna crimson is that there isn't very much of it.

There's thirty fairly large chapters. That's at least enough to get you started.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fat_Cow posted:

https://imgur.com/a/KhoU8UD

Speed Translation for today's chapter.

oh cmon thats just rfucking twisting the knife

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is good, but like in a terrible way where I am sad.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Future Devil watching this with a huge bucket of popcorn

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That was weird...and kinda horror I guess?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

oh cmon thats just rfucking twisting the knife

Did you see a sign saying that you could get off this wild ride?

Because I didn't.

Suffering will continue until morale improves. After all, the future rules.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This is a rollercoaster of brutality and sadness.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

drat. drat.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess fiends get the memories of the corpse they take.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

I guess fiends get the memories of the corpse they take.

Yeah we already got that confirmed with Violence. Fresh brains are better, too. And since Aki's head was intact...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:smith:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
:( he opened the door

According to Future Devil, Power is going to die with Aki

yum fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 10, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Holy poo poo

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is good, but like in a terrible way where I am sad.

fujimoto.txt

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Anyone that knows Fujimoto knew he was going to deliver on any promise he made.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
:suspense:

hope is a lie

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Dang. I wonder if this was planned by Makima or if she messed up somehow.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the endless doorbell onomatopoeia and the giant body count list from the last few chapters are some neat design choices. but also: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

profileusername posted:

Dang. I wonder if this was planned by Makima or if she messed up somehow.

i guess we don't really know how much time passed between the last two chapters, but the abruptness of this one makes it hard for me to believe it wasn't planned

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They better not graphically kill the cat. I almost quit reading My Hero Academia and I don't want to see that poo poo again. Yeah I know this series has killed a bunch of people already but that sort of thing really sticks with me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Radish posted:

They better not graphically kill the cat. I almost quit reading My Hero Academia and I don't want to see that poo poo again. Yeah I know this series has killed a bunch of people already but that sort of thing really sticks with me.

Why does a fictional cat getting killed bug you more than the hundreds of people we've seen violently get sliced up, shot, exploded, ripped in half, etc. over the past ~70 issues?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

fadam posted:

Why does a fictional cat getting killed bug you more than the hundreds of people we've seen violently get sliced up, shot, exploded, ripped in half, etc. over the past ~70 issues?

If you actually want an honest answer there's a level of extreme innocence to these pets that really makes me feel like poo poo when that happens. I also prefaced my earlier post expecting this exact responce since this thing really gets me despite the other brutality.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
You could also argue we know a lot more about Meowie than all these faceless people getting killed the past few chapters.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Are we sure that Aki is actually the Gun Fiend? He honestly looks more like Chainsaw or Sword or any of the others while they're transformed than Shark or Violence.

e:Not to mention that he knows Denji by name, which the Gun devil probably wouldn't be able to.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jo Joestar posted:

Are we sure that Aki is actually the Gun Fiend? He honestly looks more like Chainsaw or Sword or any of the others while they're transformed than Shark or Violence.

e:Not to mention that he knows Denji by name, which the Gun devil probably wouldn't be able to.

my fear is that Makima has set this up, on purpose. All based on what Future devil told Aki

doesn't Makima bring Aki to Future devil in the first place?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jo Joestar posted:

He's missing the razor teeth we have seen with all other hybrids. The reason he came to Denji was because of Aki's memories. There might still be some mind fusion happening, what with kid Aki and the snowball fight.

The future devil would also love Aki fusing with the gun devil.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Future is not the best :(

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Remember how everyone was like "oh gently caress, Makima changed the future devil's prediction!!"

lol

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I mean Makina only said that her end of the contract was to give him power. Never said she'd alter the future.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Brutal, but in a more depressing way than normal.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I knew this or something like this was coming but :smith:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I knew this was coming, but its still breaking my heart.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

makima 100% did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
:(