Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wanted some seats where I can sit&lay in my balcony. Bench boards are pine and the frame is made from some wall support beams. Brass screws (copper nails were so expensive), L brackets, 10mm wood "plugs" and lots of glue to keep it together. I bought a small can of white wood wax/oil which was quite not enough... it is possible to add layers later though.

The fit was *very* tight but I am glad it fit without modifications. The benches do not look not very nice but they were very cheap and should be durable.

Mattresses are a different problem. A shop wanted 400€ for two of them.. lol.

I bought a 73€ 120x200x10cm mattress yesterday and removed the foam. Next I have to cut it to shape, glue some extra padding on top of it and make two "bags" from cloth I bought from IKEA for upholstery. I plan to sew cotton bands to the open end of the bag so I can stuff the foam inside and close the bag with bow knots. Sewing a zipper or anything fancier is pain in the rear end and I want to be able to remove the upholstery and wash them. Budget for these two 140x60x10 and 160x60x10 mattresses is around 130€ DIY.

The cloth I bought was IKEA Mettalise. It was very cheap and cotton should work OK in a fully covered balcony. If it rots.. well I'll buy the 4x+ more expensive balcony upholstery cloth then.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks y'all for the help re glue ups. I did the last few two-by-fours one surface at a time and the bond is tight enough that I'm considering redoing the whole loving top. I'm trying to convince myself to save it for the next project.

Next. Lots and lots of planing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I know I don't post in here but I have a quick question for those of you who Know Your Wood.

I got it in my head to build a shower bench for Ms. Cookies and think little wood benches just look neat. I have access to a table saw, planer, router, sander, etc and the construction seems simple enough (famous last words?) Anyway, my question is this: Are there species of wood I can use for this that aren't going to look like rear end in 3 months? I'm pretty sure this is what teak excels at, right? Most of my googling points toward teak, but there's also recommendations for redwood, cedar, oak(?), and others. And/or are there specific treatments for the wood that would help it resist the cold/dry to hot/wet cycles. I'm sure that will have a lot to do with how any of these woods fare and if needed, I'll slather the whole thing in epoxy like a dang canoe.

If this is unfeasible or you think this is not as much a beginner project as it seems, please let me know. I could possibly make a bench from stainless at work if wood is no good.

Sorry for the drive-by posting and thanks in advance for any and all answers.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ihmemies posted:

I wanted some seats where I can sit&lay in my balcony. Bench boards are pine and the frame is made from some wall support beams. Brass screws (copper nails were so expensive), L brackets, 10mm wood "plugs" and lots of glue to keep it together. I bought a small can of white wood wax/oil which was quite not enough... it is possible to add layers later though.

The fit was *very* tight but I am glad it fit without modifications. The benches do not look not very nice but they were very cheap and should be durable.

Ay dont sell yourself short that looks great and super comfortable, gonna steal some ideas from it so I can get off the lawn

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I know I don't post in here but I have a quick question for those of you who Know Your Wood.

I got it in my head to build a shower bench for Ms. Cookies and think little wood benches just look neat. I have access to a table saw, planer, router, sander, etc and the construction seems simple enough (famous last words?) Anyway, my question is this: Are there species of wood I can use for this that aren't going to look like rear end in 3 months? I'm pretty sure this is what teak excels at, right? Most of my googling points toward teak, but there's also recommendations for redwood, cedar, oak(?), and others. And/or are there specific treatments for the wood that would help it resist the cold/dry to hot/wet cycles. I'm sure that will have a lot to do with how any of these woods fare and if needed, I'll slather the whole thing in epoxy like a dang canoe.

If this is unfeasible or you think this is not as much a beginner project as it seems, please let me know. I could possibly make a bench from stainless at work if wood is no good.

Definitely not oak, for starters. Cedar will hold up, redwood is better, but I'd be concerned about splinters, since they're soft woods, but maybe that's too cautious.
Teak yes, but I think it's endangered. What do the Nordics use in their saunas? Beech? Fir?

Also idk about sitting on a slather of epoxy. Ideally untreated wood, a species that can hold up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

No that's a good point. Here they are before:

and now painted:

I think with the paint on them they do look better than before, but it still bothers me. My issue with it is the holes. The holes make it clear that it's just a hardware store metal L that has been put there, and it doesn't need to be designed like that. A hidden mounting system would be best, and failing that, a bracket without unused screw holes would still look better IMO. Of course, your ability to replace them depends on how they're mounted to the wall. If they're already embedded in concrete or brick and you don't wanna gently caress with that, then yeah you might be stuck with them. If they screw deeply into the mantel wood from below, you might get away with slicing off the front parts? That could work.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Throw some old-school square nails in those holes.

The black looks miles better. I was also thinking of hidden mounting but it doesn't look like that one is able to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ooh, yeah, some nails like that might save the look.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rotten Cookies posted:

Teak would be a good choice and there is more or less sustainable plantation grown stuff available, but have you priced it? It's like $25/bf even for plantation grown stuff. You could buy an already built teak shower bench for cheaper than you could buy the teak to build one. Other durable tropical hardwoods would work too-mahogany, purpleheart, ipe, cumaru, spanish cedar etc. For domestic stuff, Western redcedar (or eastern redcedar-heartwood only) would be good softwood choices, along with baldcypress. Larch is rot resistant if you can get it. White oak and walnut or cherry heartwood would probably be okay too, but you might have tannin/staining issues? If you made the legs out of stainless and just put a wooden seat on you could get away with a less durable wood too. Easier to replace if it does rot, and you won't endgrain sitting in puddles like you would if the legs were wood.

I don't know anything about coating it in epoxy, but unless you do a perfect job I can't see it holding up super well over time?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Or just glue some wood squares over the holes and bang them with a hammer.

:mrgw:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

If it's not at risk of standing in water and the bathroom is well-ventilated, you can build your bench from pretty much any wood. Plane the surface, maybe oil it once a year. Just make sure the feet are plastic or metal.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Stood in the wrong place when cutting cabinet panels on my new saw bench and took a lovely 12mm ply kickback to the gut.

Nothing more than a few cuts and scrapes and what will be an UGLY bruise tomorrow but still, this is what happens when you try to save a work piece instead of GTFO of the way.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I'm just starting out so I'm wood dumb but I got these two from work for a couple of bucks , any idea what kind of wood these are? Ran one through the planer to get a better look at it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm no expert, but my guess would be red oak.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Definitely oak, and it's very nicely quartersawn-that's what makes those cool patterns across the grain. Red oak would be my guess too, but it might be white. It can be hard to tell them apart from a picture. Does it smell good like bourbon whiskey and vanilla or does it smell like sweat and dog poo poo? Whiskey= white oak, dog poo poo=red oak. If you make a clean cut on the endgrain and take a picture, that can help too. Red oak has much more open pores on the endgrain than white oak.

This is a good article:
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/distinguishing-red-oak-from-white-oak/

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does it smell good like bourbon whiskey and vanilla or does it smell like sweat and dog poo poo? Whiskey= white oak, dog poo poo=red oak.
I find your description of red oak scent hard to debate, but..... I kind of like the smell still..

Not actual dog poo poo though, of course.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those are indeed oak. What you are calling wicker is usually called caning and that may help your googling-those are caned chair seats. You can get the caning in sheets and replace it if you want. There is usually a spline that you pound into a groove that holds it together, or sometimes the caning goes in little holes all around. You can probably buy the splines too. You could add an upholstered slip seat or something on top of that, but it may wind up being higher than is comfortable. Maybe set a pillow on top of one and see if it feels right. I’m not sure a flat wooden seat would be all that comfortable, but a stick a board across the top and see how it sits.

Thank you. My brain refused to find any word for that except wicker and google was not helping without better terminology. Since I don't have to weave the caning myself I might just do that, although the area that is splined is sort of beat to crap so it might be difficult to repair it. As far as putting a solid seat on it, I had considered doing some shaping with my sander to give it a bit of a depression to more comfortably cradle my rear end. I've never tried either of those things though, I guess it'll be exciting regardless of which path I take. Trying to match the wood seems like something that is really difficult and maybe impossible, so maybe I should just accept that it's going to be different and run with that if I decide to put something in there that isn't caning.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm no expert, but my guess would be red oak.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Definitely oak, and it's very nicely quartersawn-that's what makes those cool patterns across the grain. Red oak would be my guess too, but it might be white. It can be hard to tell them apart from a picture. Does it smell good like bourbon whiskey and vanilla or does it smell like sweat and dog poo poo? Whiskey= white oak, dog poo poo=red oak. If you make a clean cut on the endgrain and take a picture, that can help too. Red oak has much more open pores on the endgrain than white oak.

This is a good article:
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/distinguishing-red-oak-from-white-oak/
Thank you fellas!

Here's a picture of the endgrain, from all the picture's I looked at the examples of Red Oak have a ton of open holes compared to this with all its clogged up holes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

serious gaylord posted:

Stood in the wrong place when cutting cabinet panels on my new saw bench and took a lovely 12mm ply kickback to the gut.

Nothing more than a few cuts and scrapes and what will be an UGLY bruise tomorrow but still, this is what happens when you try to save a work piece instead of GTFO of the way.

So the little motor on that thing, that's a good thing in this case. It really could have hosed you up to the E.R. Broken pelvis, pierced gut, any number of things.

hitze posted:

I'm just starting out so I'm wood dumb but I got these two from work for a couple of bucks , any idea what kind of wood these are? Ran one through the planer to get a better look at it.

Definitely quartersawn oak as the man says, and my vote is white. You'll notice a lot of nice furniture and even upright pianos from the 19th century has that distinctive striping of quartesawn oak. And red oak smells like a barnyard. Not dogshit.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

hitze posted:

Thank you fellas!

Here's a picture of the endgrain, from all the picture's I looked at the examples of Red Oak have a ton of open holes compared to this with all its clogged up holes.

Endgrain is maybe making me vote white too. Smell is the best tell imo.

I really love the story those rings tell. Tight, tight, tight, rings as a baby tree growing in shade under competition, then a storm comes or some logging happens with a nice wet spring/summer and two huuuuuuge growth ring as it shoots up into the sun, but then all it's neighbors catch up and it slows down again. Wood is neat.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Mr. Mambold posted:

So the little motor on that thing, that's a good thing in this case. It really could have hosed you up to the E.R. Broken pelvis, pierced gut, any number of things.

It's only 1 HP!

You ever get kicked by a horse?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

serious gaylord posted:

Hopefully this is a lesson you only need to learn once, I'm glad you're okay and it wasn't more serious.

(invest in featherboards esp. for sheet stock)

I learned the lesson to keep my hands the gently caress away from spinning blades twice, when I was about 9-10 my paternal grandfather lost his index finger to a table saw.
Then when I was 16 my dad cut about 1/5 into the top of his pinky.

(use blade guards and set the height on both the blade and guard every cut)

My dad also taught me another lesson at 17, he was working on his trailbike and it fell off the stand and the footpeg gashed open his upper arm, fat was spilling out while I drove him to the hospital with my learners permit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Definitely quartersawn oak as the man says, and my vote is white. You'll notice a lot of nice furniture and even upright pianos from the 19th century has that distinctive striping of quartesawn oak. And red oak smells like a barnyard. Not dogshit.

I'm glad I built the saw top as high as I did. Originally it was going to be lower and I'd have copped it right in the balls.

I am very aware of how lucky I am. It's the first proper kickback I've ever had. Never had one when I was working on the boats. I just got lazy

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The junk collector posted:

It's only 1 HP!

You ever get kicked by a horse?

Have you ever seen a grown man naked, Timmy? I know what HP it is. It's tiny for a table saw. I've had kickbacks. Was ripping a long narrow piece one time and the saw just launched it right past me like a spear. I was just lucky. poo poo just happens over time.
Buddy of mine did the same thing as Serious Gaylord with a piece of 1/4" plywood, but with a bigger motor. It hairline fractured his pelvis.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Have you ever seen a grown man naked, Timmy? I know what HP it is. It's tiny for a table saw. I've had kickbacks. Was ripping a long narrow piece one time and the saw just launched it right past me like a spear. I was just lucky. poo poo just happens over time.
Buddy of mine did the same thing as Serious Gaylord with a piece of 1/4" plywood, but with a bigger motor. It hairline fractured his pelvis.

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone, especially as I've had my own share of tool related injuries. While I've never been directly injured by my table saw, I have had to patch sheet-rock from it while doing some house work. Just glad no one got seriously hurt here.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The junk collector posted:

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone, especially as I've had my own share of tool related injuries. While I've never been directly injured by my table saw, I have had to patch sheet-rock from it while doing some house work. Just glad no one got seriously hurt here.

I get your concern, and you're right, 1 HP is enough to do serious damage.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

1/4" plywood was my only tablesaw kickback too! Sure scares you. I think thin floppy things are more likely to ride up over the blade and then bad things happen. The corner stabbed me in the gut and broke skin-be careful.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
All you people talking about kickbacks, you have riving knives or not?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

When I got it, I did not. It was an older table saw. A real beast circa 1965. No riving knife, and I was cutting with the blade tilted to 45 degrees, which it did toward the fence, so it got pinched reeeaaal good, and the piece was just the right weight to get maximum launch into my torso.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is there a reason that circular saws don't have riving knives?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

When I got it, I did not. It was an older table saw. A real beast circa 1965. No riving knife, and I was cutting with the blade tilted to 45 degrees, which it did toward the fence, so it got pinched reeeaaal good, and the piece was just the right weight to get maximum launch into my torso.

That's the scary poo poo right there. That's also about the age my table saw is. Boice-Crane.

Sockser posted:

Everything is different is why.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Sockser posted:

They don't launch wood, same goes for your miter saw. You are in control of both the power to the blade and the tool itself. Besides most modern circular saws have a stop mechanism in the motor when it feels resistance in any way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Both circular saws I've owned have some sort of riving knife?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

cakesmith handyman posted:

Both circular saws I've owned have some sort of riving knife?

Europeans get the fancy stuff. In the US we get to find out what a deductible is.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I actually own a table saw with a riving knife for the first time ever as of last weekend.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

1/4" plywood was my only tablesaw kickback too! Sure scares you. I think thin floppy things are more likely to ride up over the blade and then bad things happen. The corner stabbed me in the gut and broke skin-be careful.

Its literally the same as mine!

I took mine off to do some angled half laps and never put it back on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So I am seeing a trend here. I have never had a kickback in 6 years now and I have my riving knife permanently mounted. The worst thing I ever ripped was probably 50 meters of wet stock, at 45 degrees with a blade that tilts towards the fence. When I made enough french cleats to cover most of the garages walls.

I wouldn't need to take it off to make angled half laps either, it sits below the top of the blade so it never gets in the way. I can only assume you have one of these big bulky models that get in the way instead of a sleek model like this:

But nothing an angle grinder cannot fix. I would go as far as classify those styles as "defective" and "dangerous". I guess it's nice with the dust collection on some but I would rather have the non intrusive riving knife.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Would poplar be an ok wood to use for a tenon wedge or should I use something harder?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

So I am seeing a trend here. I have never had a kickback in 6 years now and I have my riving knife permanently mounted. The worst thing I ever ripped was probably 50 meters of wet stock, at 45 degrees with a blade that tilts towards the fence. When I made enough french cleats to cover most of the garages walls.

I wouldn't need to take it off to make angled half laps either, it sits below the top of the blade so it never gets in the way. I can only assume you have one of these big bulky models that get in the way instead of a sleek model like this:

But nothing an angle grinder cannot fix. I would go as far as classify those styles as "defective" and "dangerous". I guess it's nice with the dust collection on some but I would rather have the non intrusive riving knife.

Ripping wet wood never has presented a problem to me. It's not had baked in stress like some badly done kiln jobs. I like your setup, but idk if my antique beast could be retrofitted. I don't disdain the notion of a riving knife at all. Also, it's been over 6 year since my last kickback, but I've been using table saws (not so much any more) since 1971......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
riving knife + blade cover, always. the only way it can kick back is if it binds something against the fence that you didnt push all the way through with your push stick.