Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dawgstar posted:

That reminds me the focus group ABC got to 'fix' the cartoon's rationale for Winston was that he was 'the driver.' He should be the one driving the Ecto-1. Because... reasons.

:cripes: That’s marginally worse than the kids book adaptation of the film which denotes Winston as merely ‘their assistant’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I appreciated the video game at least having incidental dialogue mentioning him getting his own doctorate

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OctoberCountry posted:

I appreciated the video game at least having incidental dialogue mentioning him getting his own doctorate

I haven't played the game in years, but I'm hoping his part is much larger in it than it was in the movies. Was it? Like I definitely get that the other guys are bigger names, but c'mon now.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
As a child, and today, Winston is my favorite because he was so normal. I could be Winston. He's an everyman that got paid near minimum wage to blow poo poo up and bust ghosts.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I haven't seen GB2 in a while, but I remember liking Winston's role in GB. I think it fit in really well that there was just a practical guy looking for a paycheck as their fourth member. It keeps the whole every-day man Ghostbusters as a business instead of heroes vibe the movie had going. I think him being an explosives expert or something would have thrown it in another direction.

I played the video game last year. I'm pretty sure he had equal time with everybody else. I think it was him who had my favorite line with "Haunted Laundromat? C'mon."

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't played the game in years, but I'm hoping his part is much larger in it than it was in the movies. Was it? Like I definitely get that the other guys are bigger names, but c'mon now.

He had a good amount of lines, though I largely remember him navigating for the player in the Museum level since he spent so much time there working on a doctorate.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Winston is so underutilised and it's a real shame. The fact that they don't do much with him is one of the few big negative aspects of the original film. There's a really odd deleted scene where Venkman kind of chews him out just as they're about to go into 55 Central Park West; Winston makes a joke about skipping town, and Venkman says that he was gonna offer him a promotion but now he's not sure. It's a great thing they deleted it, as it's just kind of mean and weird and would have put some bad vibes over a scene that is otherwise triumphant and exciting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Malcolm Excellent posted:

As a child, and today, Winston is my favorite because he was so normal. I could be Winston. He's an everyman that got paid near minimum wage to blow poo poo up and bust ghosts.

As people who watched Ghostbusters as a kid get older, I think it's Winston who becomes the character that feels increasingly relatable. "As long as there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 10, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
The new movie has Winston listed as Doctor, so sounds like he'll get some good parts in it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If they had gotten Eddie Murphy like they wanted originally, I think it might've been too much. Four different comedy styles interacting without a straight man would probably take a lot of work. Winston is great!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The new movie has Winston listed as Doctor, so sounds like he'll get some good parts in it.

Excellent. I sincerely hope they flesh out even a little bit of his backstory.

Also, I'm assuming that this movie is going to do away with the game's story?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I enjoy Winston in the IDW comic. He's a Veteran, he's got a love life, and he's got an arc or two.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Excellent. I sincerely hope they flesh out even a little bit of his backstory.

I have to assume the director/writer went "What game" when the wrote the new one but it would be kind of hilarious if they didn't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Why wouldn't it?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Human Crouton posted:

I haven't seen GB2 in a while, but I remember liking Winston's role in GB. I think it fit in really well that there was just a practical guy looking for a paycheck as their fourth member. It keeps the whole every-day man Ghostbusters as a business instead of heroes vibe the movie had going. I think him being an explosives expert or something would have thrown it in another direction.

I played the video game last year. I'm pretty sure he had equal time with everybody else. I think it was him who had my favorite line with "Haunted Laundromat? C'mon."
i loved winston for instantly turning on them in prison "hey i don't even know these guys!" he shouts before turning around and joining the meeting they're having. winston just fit so well into that group of weirdos.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

InsertPotPun posted:

i loved winston for instantly turning on them in prison "hey i don't even know these guys!" he shouts before turning around and joining the meeting they're having. winston just fit so well into that group of weirdos.

Winston doesn't turn on them, per se; he says "Guard, look, I just work with these guys, I wasn't even there!"

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

text me a vag pic posted:

I enjoy Winston in the IDW comic. He's a Veteran, he's got a love life, and he's got an arc or two.

Yeah, Winston was always my favorite Ghostbuster and the comic's portrayal of him has only cemented that. I especially liked him exorcising an apartment by telling the ghost haunting it how creepy he's being and how he needs to move on, and sufficiently shamed, the ghost does. Does that need a spoiler? I generally don't care about them, but I know some people do.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The_Doctor posted:

:cripes: That’s marginally worse than the kids book adaptation of the film which denotes Winston as merely ‘their assistant’.

Uh, Winston is their assistant.

I understand celebration of Ernie Hudson as an actor, but the entire point of the Winston character is that he’s horribly underpaid because he’s black.

The Ghostbusters are exploiting their sole employee (besides Janine), because they’re libertarian small businessmen. Pretending that they’re some kind of progressive institution is actually doing Winston a disservice, by paving over the race issue.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He is only getting 11.5 a year, after all. And is the only one (besides Janine, but she seems to accept that she’s in a poo poo job) who probably doesn’t have a stake in the company.

Hope he renegotiated for some of that mugs and balloon money.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Winston and Ray ran a successful children's entertainment business.

e: just winstonposting

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 11, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

text me a vag pic posted:

e: just winstonposting

Shitposting that'll turn you white

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Uh, Winston is their assistant.

the entire point of the Winston character is that he’s horribly underpaid because he’s black.

:what:

Oh poo poo, I just saw who posted this garbage. Goddamn

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean in Reagan’s America that was exactly what was going on there

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Shitposting that'll turn you white

not an emptyquote.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Cameo posted:

I mean in Reagan’s America that was exactly what was going on there

Right, you have to be really willfully ignorant of it.

As with perhaps most 1980s comedies, the protagonists are not-good people. Half the jokes in the movie involve for-profit exorcism being a horrible loving idea.

And, in this movie about exorcism, Winston is the first and only character to seriously bring up Christianity. Peter and Egon are notably absent when Winston openly speculates that these ghost sightings have a socioeconomic cause. And, if that’s the case, is for-profit exorcism helping or hurting?

(Remember that the ghosts are literally made out of bad feelings. What might be causing bad feelings in 1980s America? Like, I can think of a thing or two.)

The nuance of Winston Zedemore is that, despite being a black Christian, he’s consciously working with the bad guys. It’s initially just to survive but, in his words, working for this company is making him ‘turn white’ - the obvious double-meaning being that he’s willing to accept an unholy alliance with the white libertarians to stop the immediate threat posed by Gozer. But, once Gozer is dead, the socioeconomic issues that caused all these ghost attacks have not been addressed at all.

The film just suddenly ends, as if to avoid Winston spoiling the parade - and it still hasn’t ended, despite all the sequels, remakes, and spinoffs. I guess he just went to university?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

Ghostbusters 2 gave him a little justice with the Wiiiiiiiiinstonnnnnnnnn moment and his daring fire extinguisher rescue, but he really did deserve much more.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

As with perhaps most 1980s comedies, the protagonists are not-good people. Half the jokes in the movie involve for-profit exorcism being a horrible loving idea.

I went looking for the deleted scene Karloff posted about earlier and another cut scene had Winston waiting in front of Janine while she tells someone roughly "we can't get to you until next Friday, my advice is just stay out of your house until then" while Winston raises a concerned eyebrow. This is obviously even more on the nose with that theme.

It's probably notable that the only on-screen, non-montage related bust is at a super stuffy hotel, so their antics come off as "sticking it to the man" rather than gouging some homeowner who just wants to get rid of the poltergeist who tried to eat their baby or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

I went looking for the deleted scene Karloff posted about earlier and another cut scene had Winston waiting in front of Janine while she tells someone roughly "we can't get to you until next Friday, my advice is just stay out of your house until then" while Winston raises a concerned eyebrow. This is obviously even more on the nose with that theme.

It's probably notable that the only on-screen, non-montage related bust is at a super stuffy hotel, so their antics come off as "sticking it to the man" rather than gouging some homeowner who just wants to get rid of the poltergeist who tried to eat their baby or something.

There are still a lot of jokes like that, that fans don’t recognize as jokes.

Like, instead of helping these restless spirits to pass into the afterlife, they pump them into this industrial waste storage facility. In slightly updated terms, the Ghostbusters startup is ‘disrupting’ the Christian faith - and it’s awful!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There are still a lot of jokes like that, that fans don’t recognize as jokes.

Like, instead of helping these restless spirits to pass into the afterlife, they pump them into this industrial waste storage facility. In slightly updated terms, the Ghostbusters startup is ‘disrupting’ the Christian faith - and it’s awful!

I downloaded a fan Ghostbusters film yeeeeears ago, I think about west coast Ghostbusters, and this was like, the core plot of the film, was the church getting mad about the Ghostbusters doing stuff, which is a neat concept to explore, but probably not a script that would get greenlit as a real feature film

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sockser posted:

I downloaded a fan Ghostbusters film yeeeeears ago, I think about west coast Ghostbusters, and this was like, the core plot of the film, was the church getting mad about the Ghostbusters doing stuff, which is a neat concept to explore, but probably not a script that would get greenlit as a real feature film

I legitimately wish it would.

There's also the never-film scene of Peter asking how it's going in the containment unit. In the film proper, Egon replies with 'not good'. But in the extension of this that was scripted, Peter looks inside the containment unit and we get to see exactly what it looks like in there, and I think someone makes a comment about ho they're putting these beings in there in jail for forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is the cartoon has the Ghostbusters end up in an alternate universe inhabited by ghosts, who are terrified of humans and call the Peoplebusters, who put them in a containment unit which is a pleasant, peaceful meadow.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Heck, even within the team Venkman saddles Ray with a loan that will take 200 years to pay off.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sockser posted:

It did end up being a feature film - it’s just that, besides Winston, the characters are completely thoughtless about what they’re actually doing.

Like, I’m not really concerned with the churches. The people seeing ghosts are dealing with anxiety, grief, trauma, etc., so the Geek Squad rolls in and starts manipulating their brain-energies with untested experimental technology. That’s not better than, like, psychotherapy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It did end up being a feature film - it’s just that, besides Winston, the characters are completely thoughtless about what they’re actually doing.

Like, I’m not really concerned with the churches. The people seeing ghosts are dealing with anxiety, grief, trauma, etc., so the Geek Squad rolls in and starts manipulating their brain-energies with untested experimental technology. That’s not better than, like, psychotherapy.

The movie does imply that they give at least some of their potential clients brain scans and a quick psychological test to make sure they're not delusional, which to be fair I'm quite sure at least some of them are. It seems pretty professional- saves the Ghostbusters from wasting time and directs the clients towards more appropriate help.

The IDW comics rather subvert the whole dodgy business aspect by having the Ghostbusters basically nationalised by the city as a public service- with Walter Peck as their boss.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

... .

The IDW comics rather subvert the whole dodgy business aspect by having the Ghostbusters basically nationalised by the city as a public service- with Walter Peck as their boss.

Firemen but for ghosts makes a decent amount of sense.

It only took two direct attacks on the city by supernatural gods for them to officially acknowledge that the supernatural exists.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

8one6 posted:

Firemen but for ghosts makes a decent amount of sense.

It only took two direct attacks on the city by supernatural gods for them to officially acknowledge that the supernatural exists.

There's a city wide insurance policy. What I would like to see more of is the Ghostbusters refusing to bust a ghost if the hours are not billable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I legitimately wish it would.

There's also the never-film scene of Peter asking how it's going in the containment unit. In the film proper, Egon replies with 'not good'. But in the extension of this that was scripted, Peter looks inside the containment unit and we get to see exactly what it looks like in there, and I think someone makes a comment about ho they're putting these beings in there in jail for forever.

The Real Ghostbusters cartoon had a bunch of episodes where someone has to go inside the containment unit to retrieve a ghost for whatever reason, they usually depict it as a lovely pocket dimension full of tiny floating islands and random stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bodPTRQ0Q

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Real Ghostbusters cartoon had a bunch of episodes where someone has to go inside the containment unit to retrieve a ghost for whatever reason, they usually depict it as a lovely pocket dimension full of tiny floating islands and random stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bodPTRQ0Q

Holy shot, I don’t think my adult brain realizes how much of this show I watched as a kid. It’s all coming back as I watch these clips.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Violator posted:

Holy shot, I don’t think my adult brain realizes how much of this show I watched as a kid. It’s all coming back as I watch these clips.

Right? I had a dream not too long ago that was pretty much just the episode 'When Halloween Was Forever' which was a big deal at the time, airing in prime time and everything as a Halloween special alongside like Charlie Brown and Garfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The movie does imply that they give at least some of their potential clients brain scans and a quick psychological test to make sure they're not delusional, which to be fair I'm quite sure at least some of them are. It seems pretty professional- saves the Ghostbusters from wasting time and directs the clients towards more appropriate help.

Ok, so then you have a government agency dedicated to the elimination of badthought - sidestepping the question of why there are ghosts in the first place.

While there are a lot of jokes about Ghostbusters’ bad business practices, the point isn’t for the company to become more ‘ethical’ (with a nice benefits package for Winston, humane treatment of the ghosts, etc.). The fact that they can rule out chemical imbalances or brain damage seems to confirm Winston’s psycho-socioeconomic hypothesis - and Ghostbusters of any stripe are fundamentally unable to deal with these systemic causes of ghosts, in the same way that police don’t actually exist to ‘stop crime’.