Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s like early book one. It is a little weird since he’s old enough to be her grandpa. But he’s a solid beef boi so who wouldn’t?

He's not that old. He's almost too young to be her dad. She's mid to late 20s and he's 45 at the beginning of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think Nynaeve would slink away from the tower immediately cause that’s what she did through most of the books.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Siuan and Leanne looked younger after being stilled, but that's a separate thing from the oath rod. Several Aes Sedai over the course of the novels (and all black ajah) unbind from the oath rod without getting younger, so we know that just not being bound doesn't remove the ageless face effect.

EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, the black ajah also immediately reswore oaths to the Dark One on the rod, so maybe there's a time lag before the ageless face goes away if you don't swear further oaths. It's unclear.

Well it is a plot point that the Tower Aes Sedai used sisters that were newly raised to help capture Rand because they didn't have the ageless face yet. It's possible that it may also take some time to wear off after being unbound.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

awesmoe posted:

I wonder if it’s a coincidence that tar valon looks like a vagina in the maps

It's not. Also Dragonmount, the largest (phallic) object created by a man, casts a shadow that almost, but not quite, reaches the White Tower. (It does shadow over a portion of the city)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dragon "mount" lmao

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If that’s subconscious that’s funny, if it’s deliberate, that’s kinda creepy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Islands in the middle of rivers tend to look like that. What’s actually kind of funny is the spiderweb across the thing.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

It's absolutely on purpose. If you look at the map Tar'valon is anatomically correct with a clit, labia, vaginal opening, and anus. And it's arguably the center of female power on the continent. I have less evidence that the Dragonmount is a big ol dick, but knowing Jordan it absolutely is. He likes his symbolism like that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Well it is a plot point that the Tower Aes Sedai used sisters that were newly raised to help capture Rand because they didn't have the ageless face yet. It's possible that it may also take some time to wear off after being unbound.
what always confused me is how black aes sedai don't lose the ageless. They remove the oathrod oaths. They make new ones but iirc don't no channeling make those oaths as well? No ageless faces on them and obviously not being able to channel removes any oaths.

i don't think it was planned out very well. Just a plot device for the tar valon escape for min and co

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

what always confused me is how black aes sedai don't lose the ageless. They remove the oathrod oaths. They make new ones but iirc don't no channeling make those oaths as well? No ageless faces on them and obviously not being able to channel removes any oaths.

No, the black ajah have a set of unique 3 oaths they swear on the oath rod that other darkfriends don't have.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Basileus777 posted:

No, the black ajah have a set of unique 3 oaths they swear on the oath rod that other darkfriends don't have.

One of them is something like can't reveal their involvement until the hour of their death. Are the other 2 ever revealed?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

UltraRed posted:

until the hour of their death.

Was there ever an explanation for why they included that bit in the oaths?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bloom posted:

Was there ever an explanation for why they included that bit in the oaths?

Not directly. Ishamael is the one who founded them though and who presumably instituted the policy of oaths to keep them incognito. And that is a dude who would absolutely use grandiose and flowery language like that

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

UltraRed posted:

One of them is something like can't reveal their involvement until the hour of their death. Are the other 2 ever revealed?

These are the oaths that bind Darkfriends:
1) I shall obey all commands given by those placed above me in service to the Great Lord.
2) I shall prepare for the day of the Great Lord’s return.
3) I swear not to betray the Great Lord, to keep my secrets until the hour of my death.
It should be noted that these were taken straight from Robert Jordan’s notes, where he had added “May vary the wording a little.”

In regards to the second oath, Verin helping Rand is preparing for the day of the Great Lord's return by having Rand ready to fight him. It's the second time she takes an oath literally to work for the light.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just like the normal oaths, they mean nothing because you can skirt around it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

i don't think it was planned out very well. Just a plot device for the tar valon escape for min and co

The only reason they can remove the oaths (and put three new ones back) is they have a second oath rod nobody knows about

That makes me wonder though if the number of oaths influences the side effects, like agelessness or life shortening. Each successive oath is described as a tightening of the skin, to the point it would make moving uncomfortable, so it stands to reason more = worse

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

DarkHorse posted:

The only reason they can remove the oaths (and put three new ones back) is they have a second oath rod nobody knows about

Do we have evidence of that? I thought they just used the Tower's rod. It's not like it's well guarded or would be missed if the BA used it for an hour as we see when the BA Hunters take it. Or indeed when Egwene takes it to the Salidar Aes Sedai camp after the Seanchan attack and as far as we hear no one notices it's missing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No they absolutely do not. The extra one was given to the shaido by sammael, but no, the black ajah definitely uses the same rod.

The ageless look is from having the oaths at all.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

No they absolutely do not. The extra one was given to the shaido by sammael, but no, the black ajah definitely uses the same rod.

The ageless look is from having the oaths at all.

Oh whoops, got these bits confused

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Soysaucebeast posted:

It's absolutely on purpose. If you look at the map Tar'valon is anatomically correct with a clit, labia, vaginal opening, and anus. And it's arguably the center of female power on the continent. I have less evidence that the Dragonmount is a big ol dick, but knowing Jordan it absolutely is. He likes his symbolism like that.

Oh come on, I think you're reading a bit much into this. There's just no way he'd be so blatant about

Welp.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Soysaucebeast posted:

It's less that Dragonmount is actually penis-shaped than that it is a towering man-made object and literal expression of male power. It has all of the phallic object associations without being a literal dildo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

So when Androl pulls the lava from below Dragonmount what are the symbolic associations :thunk:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So when Androl pulls the lava from below Dragonmount what are the symbolic associations :thunk:

To be fair, Sanderson made that up. But I doubt he's entirely incompetent in the field of freudian imagery.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 12, 2020

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh come on, I think you're reading a bit much into this. There's just no way he'd be so blatant about

Welp.
that is really incredible. can't believe i never noticed.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 13, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So everyone's coming around to my initial read that the whole thing was (or at least started as) a reaction to the "Tolkien-dominated fantasy is a sausage-fest" landscape by saying "OK so what if we made a topsy turvy universe where women were in charge because men raped the world"

"I bet they would argue a lot"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean to be fair, the men in lotr argued all the goddamn time about everything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Men are from Mount Dick, women are from Vagina Island

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

When Rand stood on top of Dragonmount, the shadow of the dong reached the vag, and finally having relieved 3000 years of pent up frustration, Rand could save the world

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Data Graham posted:

So everyone's coming around to my initial read that the whole thing was (or at least started as) a reaction to the "Tolkien-dominated fantasy is a sausage-fest" landscape by saying "OK so what if we made a topsy turvy universe where women were in charge because men raped the world"

Isn't there an interview from back in the day where RJ explicitly says as much, albeit more from a standpoint of fantasy in general being male-centric tester than specifically calling out LotR?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When Rand stood on top of Dragonmount, the shadow of the dong reached the vag, and finally having relieved 3000 years of pent up frustration, Rand could save the world

"The Last Nut Begins!"

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I do enjoy this progression discussion every time it comes up.

Tolkien - What if I was writing about the british adventures of the mainland and instead had it as the adventures on the manland?
RJ - What if I was writing about adventures on manland and instead made it adventures in Randland?
Goodkind - What if I was writing about adventures in Randland and instead chose adventures Ayn Randland?

For obvious reasons we could go further back, all writers riff on old stories.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Isn't there an interview from back in the day where RJ explicitly says as much, albeit more from a standpoint of fantasy in general being male-centric tester than specifically calling out LotR?

The interview in question, I think he mentions reading a book that sounds a lot like Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites though he doesn't say the book's name, then decided to write "what if they wouldn't let a Man be a wizard?"

TBF the book as written has more depth than just that, mostly because men actually did gently caress up, badly, so they aren't letting men be wizards for good reason, not just prejudice.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Magma is stored in the balls.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Welp.
Which harbor did Egwene close off, again? What's the Ogier Grover represent?

It's also a pretty common island formation in rivers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Grove Spot, obviously

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

jetz0r posted:

Magma is stored in the balls.

Which harbor did Egwene close off, again? What's the Ogier Grover represent?

It's also a pretty common island formation in rivers.

Her faction sabotaged both harbors.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My brain always reads Seanchan as “See-ahn-chan,” but google says it’s actually “Shawn-chan”. That’ll be way more fun to say with a lazy southern drawl.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 13, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's how the audiobooks do it yeah.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i realize i'd probably feel less salty about the whole 'egwene captured by the tower and spanked endlessly' thing if she didn't end up dying near the end. having to go through all that dumb poo poo just to get vaporized.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Johnny Joestar posted:

i realize i'd probably feel less salty about the whole 'egwene captured by the tower and spanked endlessly' thing if she didn't end up dying near the end. having to go through all that dumb poo poo just to get vaporized.

She went through all that to lead a united Tower into battle for the fate of mankind, giving the Light the chance at a victory that would have been impossible without her. In that battle, she sacrificed herself to take out a far more powerful piece on the other side, helping to secure victory with her own death.. I'd say that is pretty good payoff, even if you dislike the general arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gnoman posted:

She went through all that to lead a united Tower into battle for the fate of mankind, giving the Light the chance at a victory that would have been impossible without her. In that battle, she sacrificed herself to take out a far more powerful piece on the other side, helping to secure victory with her own death.. I'd say that is pretty good payoff, even if you dislike the general arc.

i mean yeah it caps off well enough story-wise. it's just a personal gripe i have, really. i would have been better off with it if she'd been able to at least enjoy the fruits of her labor, personally. especially after bearing the brunt of jordan's weird fetish.