Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
But why are Uyghers "our Muslim neighbors"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

But why are Uyghers "our Muslim neighbors"?

His office is probably next to the Gitmo translator's.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The UK has reserved it's earlier decision from January to allow Huawei to participate in it's 5G buildout and has now banned the company. All Huawei components are also to be purged from the networks by 2027.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-huawei/uk-to-purge-huawei-from-5g-by-2027-angering-china-and-pleasing-trump-idUSKCN24E30P

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
I wonder if the beginning of the original Cold War was this sudden and jarring. Could have been even more so given how WW2 had just ended and suddenly the friend was the enemy and the enemy was the friend. But this is all happening so fast, how long until WTO disbands and reforms into a new club where China isn't allowed?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
As long as Trump doesn't remove HK from separate trade region status, these are just posturing.

The spice agriculture exports must flow.

I hipe somebody come up with a better name than "new cold war".

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

sincx posted:

Most of the world does not share Five Eyes' desire to return to a time where the US is the sole superpower.

While I agree that two competing superpowers is probably better than one, unfortunately I don't see this new global order resulting in any benefits for normal people.
At least in the cold war a lot of the nice things about America were because they had to prove that capitalism was better than communism so they reigned in some of capitalism's worst impulses to create a better deal for common workers.

Now you have zero incentive to do this and repatriating supply lines to the US is just going to results in more automation and no real benefit to labour. It's going to look a lot like the kind of dick waving contest Britain had with Germany in WW1 where everyone suffered except their elites.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Fall of the West

sum
Nov 15, 2010

China is too important to global capitalism to really ever get into a true Cold War with the US. There will probably be heightened tensions and maybe some proxy wars but there's not going to be the wholesale fission of countries into separate camps.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sincx posted:

Ehh, I can see it. The Trump admin has utterly failed, and America's collapse is overwhelmingly obvious. They desperately need a distraction, an external boogieman which they can blame for Trump's failures in economic policy, foreign policy, and pandemic containment. So Pence and Pompeo dusts off the Yellow Peril playbook, and the white supremacist mini-Trumps in Australia and the UK are all too happy to oblige.

I suspect there's going to be an undeniable racial component to this new cold war. It'll be Five Eyes + Northern Europe (and US vassals) vs China, while everyone else tries--with varying degrees of success--to stay neutral.

we have always been at war with east asia and russia has always been our friend

sum
Nov 15, 2010

There's nothing for America to collapse into. America might not be the unquestioned hyperpower it was 20 years ago but at the same time it's not the Soviet Union, there's no ethnic member republics to go spinning off no matter how bad things get. Moreover, proper de-globalization would be disastrous for capital worldwide and for that reason theyll fight tooth and nail to prevent it from ever happening.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The idea that the major countries of the world are too intertwined by capitalist relations to have a major conflict that disrupts the global economy was also common prior to WW1.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

There's nothing for America to collapse into. America might not be the unquestioned hyperpower it was 20 years ago but at the same time it's not the Soviet Union, there's no ethnic member republics to go spinning off no matter how bad things get. Moreover, proper de-globalization would be disastrous for capital worldwide and for that reason theyll fight tooth and nail to prevent it from ever happening.

The US doesn't need to officially balkanize to lose a massive amount of power and influence.

I don't think the world will de-globalize...it will just be loosely divided into two camps and a bunch of neutral states. The US can't fully cut its supply chains with China, but China can certainly start occupying the power vacuum left by the US. The deal with Iran more or less shows the direction where things are going.

Again, the major battlefields will be in the global south but I don't think East Asia/South East Asia will be the hotzone it was.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Ardennes posted:

The US doesn't need to officially balkanize to lose a massive amount of power and influence.

I don't think the world will de-globalize...it will just be loosely divided into two camps and a bunch of neutral states. The US can't fully cut its supply chains with China, but China can certainly start occupying the power vacuum left by the US. The deal with Iran more or less shows the direction where things are going.

Again, the major battlefields will be in the global south but I don't think East Asia/South East Asia will be the hotzone it was.

China is basically turning Africa into its own China isn't it? Though like always it's not the native Africans who get to benefit from any of the opportunities as China is sending its own labour to do all the construction and resource extraction.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

China is basically turning Africa into its own China isn't it? Though like always it's not the native Africans who get to benefit from any of the opportunities as China is sending its own labour to do all the construction and resource extraction.

Wait...did the US send a bunch of engineers to China to take jobs away from Chinese people?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

sum posted:

The struggle is systemic

u have world elites interesting in maintaining a global economic system but the existence of a regional nation state governance model that is incapable of handling it

at the same time, the guarantor of the "rules based" trade system ( the US) has shown that it cannot be trusted

most likely there will be a breakdown of the existing trade order into more integrated regionalized transnational trade blocs

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

sincx posted:

Ehh, I can see it. The Trump admin has utterly failed, and America's collapse is overwhelmingly obvious. They desperately need a distraction, an external boogieman which they can blame for Trump's failures in economic policy, foreign policy, and pandemic containment. So Pence and Pompeo dusts off the Yellow Peril playbook, and the white supremacist mini-Trumps in Australia and the UK are all too happy to oblige.

I suspect there's going to be an undeniable racial component to this new cold war. It'll be Five Eyes + Northern Europe (and US vassals) vs China, while everyone else tries--with varying degrees of success--to stay neutral.

I have been saying the primary conflict in this century is the clash of the civilizations for a few years. You don't have to bring racial tension into it because the Sinic civilization is not just the Han people. The different people live on the East Asia continent are really connected with the same shared culture instead of ethnicity. The US obviously has different ethinic groups.

However if you want you can make it a racial conflict with the 5 eyes countries representing the same Anglephone heritage and China representing the "Confucian" people. And yes the "Northern Europeans" will be on Team US and the Persians/East Africans will be on Team China.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

The idea that the major countries of the world are too intertwined by capitalist relations to have a major conflict that disrupts the global economy was also common prior to WW1.

I didn't say it's impossible for the US and China to have a war. I just don't foresee them carving the world into separate economic spheres like what happened post-WW2

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have been saying the primary conflict in this century is the clash of the civilizations for a few years. You don't have to bring racial tension into it because the Sinic civilization is not just the Han people. The different people live on the East Asia continent are really connected with the same shared culture instead of ethnicity. The US obviously has different ethinic groups.

However if you want you can make it a racial conflict with the 5 eyes countries representing the same Anglephone heritage and China representing the "Confucian" people. And yes the "Northern Europeans" will be on Team US and the Persians/East Africans will be on Team China.

how does it feel to be constantly wrong, mr Huntington?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I believe that as America continues to gently caress up, China will use the space to become more imperialistic towards its neighbors. Xinjiang was conquered under Mao and is still being pacified. Same with Tibet. Next will be Taiwan, a bunch of islands, and various pieces of India/Cambodia/Nepal/etc.

I don't know that they'll ever have to use force in Cambodia or Nepal tho cuz they already have unquestioned economic dominance in those nations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Regarding the retreat of globalization, or deglobalization. It will only happen very limited degree. You can group industry into business that you can decouple and business that's impossible to decouple.

For example, things like military industries, they have always been decoupled. There is no shared technology and there is no law to protect you tech either. And then you have industries that have so few critical tech in it that it doesn't matter if they are globalized. For example, most of the consumer products, run on razor sharp margin and there is no point to decouple and make your daily expenses higher.

Energy sector, it's very critical and major countries treat it as a military strategic asset anyway. Energy security has always been a big part of China's long term strategic, since China rely on energy import more than the US.

Thing like semiconductor, I think its one of those industries that's impossible to decouple. The competing power will just have to find a way to share it begrudgingly. For example, last year, only TSMC's fab in Taiwan can do 5nm chips. Can US really make Taiwan to stop making top of the line soc for China? If TSMC do that they won't make enough money to upgrade their fab since China is the biggest market for smartphones. So really China and US have to find a way to share the third party resource in this industry. The US can use their control of the patent lead to cripple China partially but not totally shut China out of it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why would the PLA stop at the HK island border and honor the colonial agreement? If China doesn't care about keeping the prosperity of HK economy, they can march in and annex HK any time they want. See India taking over Goa.

Edit, I am listening to the HK yellow ribbon youtubers talking about the HK "trail election" today and they are still acting like they can win the LegCo and CCP won't have the balls to DQ them "under US pressure. " On the contrary I think that's exactly whats going to happen. In Sep the yellow ribbons will win the majority of Legco, and CCP will DQ all of the elected fresh faced lawmakers who participated in last year's protest.

The harder US pressure China in SCS, the harder CCP will clam down on anti establishment lawmakers. CCP is treating the "HK theater" part of the protracted war against the US.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Jul 15, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://www.locpg.gov.cn/jsdt/2020-07/13/c_1210700891.htm

Tl;Dr CPC line: the primaries they're doing are illegal and everyone involved has broken the recently passed security law for seditious actions

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I was looking for this last week, thank you

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Grapplejack posted:

http://www.locpg.gov.cn/jsdt/2020-07/13/c_1210700891.htm

Tl;Dr CPC line: the primaries they're doing are illegal and everyone involved has broken the recently passed security law for seditious actions

what exactly is illegal about a primary?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

As long as Trump doesn't remove HK from separate trade region status, these are just posturing.

The spice agriculture exports must flow.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/trump-signs-hong-kong-autonomy-act-trade-preferences-200714183911232.html

quote:

Trump signed an executive order revoking special trading status the US provided Hong Kong since 1997 when it reverted to China's control under a promised "One Country, Two Systems" principle.
Uh is this the thing?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

From what I read on other article its still (potential) sanctions on officials and banks that do business with the officials. Like okay I think you are going to sanction Carrie Lam and her bank. And I am sure most HKers have an account with HSBC. However HSBC is basically an UK bank with 75% business in mainland. Is US really going to sanction HSBC?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

US executive leadership has devoted the past week to mocking the one health official the public trusts during a worldwide pandemic. I'm not betting against them making dumb and reckless decisions.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

“Safeguarding the interests of our Taiwan compatriots and expanding their well-being is the mainland's oft-repeated pledge and solemn promise of the new leaders of China's Communist Party central committee.”
-ancient Chinese proverb

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Listen here mack, the atomic bomb is a paper tiger.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you're a lying, dog-faced, pony roader

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The fish exists in the people like fish in water. Excuse me, I meant - I I I I - guerillas are the fish that get put into the water. And you can bet your drat house that the people put the fish into the water too.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of the decline, if not outright death of the US empire. What's this going to feel/look like to the average American worker?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sincx posted:

I still don't think the PLA is dumb enough to try to take Taiwan. Even without US involvement it'll be a nightmare:

In World War II, it took the United States 110,000+ men and 500+ ships to conquer Iwo Jima, an 8 square mile island with 20,000 minimally supplied defenders. And the US lost 7,000 men with another 20,000 wounded.

Taiwan is almost 14,000 square miles and has 300,000 well-equipped defenders with modern weaponry, 3,000,000 reserves, and a civilian population that would provide heavy resistance against any PLA invasion. An amphibious assault would be suicide even without considering US military support.

In the unlikely event that Tsai formally declares independence (i.e. changes the ROC constitution to remove all references to the mainland, and makes the name of the country the Republic of Taiwan), I suspect the most the PLAN would do is a blockade, which is an act of war and risks a dangerous conflict with the US Navy, but Xi won't attempt to land troops.

I am aware of all of this. When I lived in Wuhan pretty much every magazine vendor kiosk had TONS of different armchair strategist publications. It was the same way at every magazine kiosk. It surprised me that China has so many armchair strategists!

I agree that the CCP would have a hell of a time taking Taiwan. I hope they never try. I've spent months in Taiwan and I love the whole country. It's the best version of China in the world today.

That being said, I don't quite have faith that the CCP leadership are rational actors on the civilizational level. Even with America drowning, China's path forward will not be easy or smooth. The CCP derives most of its legitimacy from the amazing economic gains they've delivered to their people. If this extraordinary growth slows down then it's easy to see a timeline where Xi & Co lean into nationalism and armed conflict to maintain their legitimacy.

Lots of Chinese would die invading Taiwan. That doesn't mean Xi wouldn't do it to keep the party in power.

EDIT: It's also my understanding that China has the whole island covered by tons of artillery and missile launchers, kinda like North Korea and Seoul. If push comes to shove they don't have to invade at all. They can just leave the island a smouldering ruin as a warning to anyone else who would try to divide the nation. I don't think this is likely tho because it would (hopefully) lead to the PRC becoming an international pariah.

NaanViolence has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Jul 15, 2020

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Taiwan still holds regular exercises for obvious reasons. The yearly interception one was held very recently.

Nationalists in Taiwan still bemoan the fact that mandatory conscription has been cut down severely, I believe it is four months of training to serve as reserve now as opposed to a year in service.

http://taiwanenglishnews.com/pac-3-missiles-deployed-in-taipei-zoo-carpark-ahead-of-nation-wide-military-exercise/

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Taiwan also has its own surface to surface missile force so it's not like china can just blockade it with zero domestic consequences.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The PLA has been making preparations for an invasion. They've got probably the most advanced amphib tanks in the world (not hard, it's not really a thing most other countries have much use for). They've also bought up all of Ukraine's Zubr class hovercrafts. These are huge landing hovercrafts that are way too big to be carried in any of the amphib attack carriers that any country is building, and they only carry enough fuel for about 500km i.e. a round trip across the Taiwan strait. The only other possible uses are a soviet amphibious landing across the Black sea or the intermediate or something.

Anything can be done these days with enough airpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

China can do whatever they want, they have nukes and are on the security council. There's no real way to stop them from just bombing and occupying Taiwan if they want other than US military promises and sanctions, but it's likely no one will follow through on the latter

If anything is stopping China it's because they'd look bad taking the island by force.