Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

an actual dog posted:

Does PBO even do anything?

It depends on the mainboards specific implementation (everything with Zen does), but the most common outcome I've read is goosing voltage to 1.450V in exchange for a minuscule clockspeed gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

A couple more Milan leaks today. I think we're in the run-up to the official launch. Guessing 6-8 weeks to availability for companies that aren't a part of the FAANG club.

https://www.igorslab.de/amd-epyc-milan-leak-drei-fruehe-genesis-samples-im-a0-stepping-samt-kernkonfiguration-und-taktraten-aufgelistet/

Ooh nice, that chart with SP5 on the horizon has me thinking I'll go piecemeal with AM4 for my desktop this year over parting out EPYC.

ASRock Rack, hook me up baybeeee

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
loving.

Finally.

SINGLE UNIFIED L3 PER-DIE.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
...this was known awhile ago...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

an actual dog posted:

Does PBO even do anything?
raise your peak mhz by 50

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

PBO and overclocking on zen2 is mostly pointless. Spend your time tuning memory frequency and timings instead you'll get way more out of it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Get used to chips running on silicon fumes out of the factory now. Even my 2060S can't undervolt worth a drat; a 10W reduction tops for the same performance as stock while my old 1070 did 60W.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is there a consensus about what B550 boards are the best bang for the buck? It seems like there aren't a lot of reviews online and it seems like each maker has a shitload of almost identical boards.

At first glance I thought the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk was really on the nose for features but it does some fucky things to the PCIe slots when you add a second M2 SSD instead of just disabling some SATA ports like everybody else.

ASrock Steel Legend B550 looks really solid for the $179.99 MSRP. And literally $5 more for the Extreme4 gets you... a different paint job, and on-board power and reset buttons... but loses the display port? :iiam:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are cheap X570 boards cheaper than some B550 boards now. I'm not a fan of the... fan, but that's a more compelling option.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If you don't care about 2.5GBe LAN then the B550M Aorus Pro @ $130 is the best value bet IMO.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

There are cheap X570 boards cheaper than some B550 boards now. I'm not a fan of the... fan, but that's a more compelling option.

Real world prices are all over the place because of the 'rona, but if we're going by MSRP then like the ~$180 B550 boards look noticeably less barebones than the X570 boards.

Like on Asrock comparing the x570 Pro4 to the B550 Steel Legend, the B550 board adds 2.5g lan, front panel USB-c, better onboard audio and 14 power phase design instead of 10.

Going much over that price point on B550 does seem like it would be kind of dumb though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
dumb question, but is the chipset fan part of some kind of mandatory design spec for any and all X570 boards?

if so, why? is it like the engineers decided that they know it's going to be so-and-so hot and therefore will generally always need a fan?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

dumb question, but is the chipset fan part of some kind of mandatory design spec for any and all X570 boards?

if so, why? is it like the engineers decided that they know it's going to be so-and-so hot and therefore will generally always need a fan?

It's a dumb decision through and through. Intel's X58 northbridge had a TDP of 24W which is 13W higher than X570 yet the former had no problems being cooled passively.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's because the X570 is not a purpose-built mobo chipset; and it is not fabbed on a modern, more power efficient semiconductor node.

X570 is a repurposed Zen 2 IO chiplet, fabbed on GloFo's 14mm process. As a result it's big(ger) and runs hot(ter) than it otherwise might.

Given how people have described their varying experiences with the chipset fan, my feeling is that it was mandated as a "just in case" measure to ensure that the chip is always within thermal tolerances regardless of use case.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
For what it's worth, I don't think I have ever heard the chipset fan on my MSI X570 Gaming Plus MB.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sean10mm posted:

Real world prices are all over the place because of the 'rona, but if we're going by MSRP then like the ~$180 B550 boards look noticeably less barebones than the X570 boards.

Like on Asrock comparing the x570 Pro4 to the B550 Steel Legend, the B550 board adds 2.5g lan, front panel USB-c, better onboard audio and 14 power phase design instead of 10.

Going much over that price point on B550 does seem like it would be kind of dumb though.

Definitely, but I've been looking closely at the specs comparing boards and it looks to me like the really well-featured B550 boards also make a lot of compromises.

Compromises like using the second M.2 slot deactivates the PCIe x4 slot, the 5th and 6th SATA ports are shared with one of the x1 slots, etc. Whereas X570 boards don't do that even if they appear to have fewer bells and whistles. That sort of thing probably won't affect very many people but it's something I just don't like having to worry about. It probably helps that I don't like flashy stuff anyway.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

FuturePastNow posted:

The fan doesn't even spin on many boards by default. My MSI board doesn't spin it up at all so far as I've seen. I suspect it might only kick in while using pcie 4.0 peripherals, or a case with poor airflow.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Definitely, but I've been looking closely at the specs comparing boards and it looks to me like the really well-featured B550 boards also make a lot of compromises.

Compromises like using the second M.2 slot deactivates the PCIe x4 slot, the 5th and 6th SATA ports are shared with one of the x1 slots, etc. Whereas X570 boards don't do that even if they appear to have fewer bells and whistles. That sort of thing probably won't affect very many people but it's something I just don't like having to worry about. It probably helps that I don't like flashy stuff anyway.

X570 involves the compromise of spending more money for technical advantages almost nobody will actually use.

E: if I had a bigger budget I'd do X570 just for giggles, but I can't imagine being "limited" to 3 SATA ports if I use 2 M.2 drives being an IRL limitation in any way either.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 13, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I would pay more for b550 than a comparably specced x570 just to avoid even the possibility of the fan spinning so I'm glad there are options.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's like $350, is mITX, and X570, and the SATA/NVMe interface is only accessible through OCuLink hardware, but no fan!

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I got a WS x570 board because I'd rather pay more for a board that I can absolutely be sure supports ECC RAM, doesn't screw up the PCI-e lane splitting (am looking at multiple GPUs), and is not as subject to the annoying quality problems of years past with AMD's motherboard OEMs, and I wasn't about to wait for Threadripper nor do I need the extra cores for what I do. The fan on the chipset isn't as loud as a single case fan or any of the radiator fans on my AIO either and I had to check that the fan was actually working after I built my machine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've only seen the chipset fan on my X570 fire up a couple times, and that has only been when the ambient temperature of the room was 80+ degrees. I checked just out of curiousity - I couldn't hear it running or anything. That's also only after I installed a fuckoff huge videocard in the machine which extends all the way over the chipset shroud, too, which may be a factor.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

The actual "chipset" part of B550 is only connected via another 4 PCI-e 3.0 lanes, the 20 PCI-e 4.0 lanes are routed directly from the CPU to the PEG slot and one NVMe slot. The boards can't physically offer another NVMe slot or all the SATA ports without shutting off something else (X570 is an outlier for consumer AM4 systems). However, that's not a problem for probably 90% of people building systems with that chipset, because their build only needs one GPU, one NVMe drive, no more than 2 SATA drives, and they can still add a PCI-e sound card or another NVMe drive if they really need it (most don't).

If you need to be able to connect ~ALL THE DEVICES~ you go X570 or straight to the HEDT platforms.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

To be fair what is disabled or gimped as you start plugging in stuff is not consistent across B550 boards so you have to read the fine print on the specs of each one first and pick the one in line with your needs.

Like the B550 Tomahawk just kills the second full length "16X" slot, and limits you to using one specific 1X slot if you want the second M.2 drive to run at 3.0 4X instead of 2X.

The Asrock Steel Legend only *ever* runs the second M.2 slot at 2X *and* disables some SATA ports if you use it.

This stuff is obviously less apparent on smaller boards that reduce the number of connectors for things anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

so the 8 channel TRs launched, OEM only

https://videocardz.com/press-release/amd-announces-ryzen-threadripper-pro-3000wx-series

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Sorry if this isn't the best spot to ask this question, but I just completed this build last night. I'm a convert over to AMD after having spent the better part of two decades as an Intel user. I had a question or two around idle temps for the CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($171.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00 - brought over from last build)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($137.84)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($560.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($127.24)

My typical idle temperature according to AMD Ryzen Master is around 40c. This seems a little on the high side given the cooler and case I am using. My old CPU, an i5 6500 would idle around 27-35 with the stock cooler. Should I be concerned and looking to lower those temps, or are these the kind of idle temps I can expect with the Ryzen 5 3600?

For more context, when playing COD Modern Warfare at 1440p 120hz with close to maxed out settings it looked like the CPU never went above 65c. So it looks to be performing decently there.

I also haven't added any additional fans to the cooler or case, but I'm willing to do that if these temps are high and I should be trying to bring them down.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 14, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

threeagainstfour posted:

idle around 27-35 with the stock cooler

27C is 80F. Were you keeping your PC in a small refrigerator?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
That's like amateur CHOT hour.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

mdxi posted:

Possible I'm misremembering what the lowest temperature was, but it was definitely lower than 41 at idle.

The room I am in is generally very cool though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

threeagainstfour posted:

I just completed this build last night.

My typical idle temperature according to AMD Ryzen Master is around 40c. This seems a little on the high side given the cooler and case I am using.
For more context, when playing COD Modern Warfare at 1440p 120hz with close to maxed out settings it looked like the CPU never went above 65c.

So those seem a bit high, but games aren't a great indicator of real load temperatures -- they really don't fully load the CPU. To do a real test of your high temperature get Prime95 and crunch some small FFTs. That'll tell you if something is wrong.

The new Hyper 212 mounting system is way harder to mess up than the old one, but possibly you need to put more torque on the screws if you didn't tighten them down all the way. (Also, did you remember to remove the plastic protection sticker from the bottom of the heatsink?)

mdxi posted:

My 1600X idles at 30C in a 77F room, which is just ~5C over ambient. CPU fan at like 900RPM. At idle these CPUs only make 30 watts, that's nothing to a heatpipe sink. And I've got a much warmer case than a meshify.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Klyith posted:

So those seem a bit high, but games aren't a great indicator of real load temperatures -- they really don't fully load the CPU. To do a real test of your high temperature get Prime95 and crunch some small FFTs. That'll tell you if something is wrong.

The new Hyper 212 mounting system is way harder to mess up than the old one, but possibly you need to put more torque on the screws if you didn't tighten them down all the way. (Also, did you remember to remove the plastic protection sticker from the bottom of the heatsink?)

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely did remember to remove the plastic sticker.

I'll use Prime 95 to do some testing and open up the case to double check that I have all the screws tightened all the way.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

My 1600X idles at 30C in a 77F room, which is just ~5C over ambient. CPU fan at like 900RPM. At idle these CPUs only make 30 watts, that's nothing to a heatpipe sink. And I've got a much warmer case than a meshify.

Wow. Okay, that's impressive. I retract my refrigerator joke.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

threeagainstfour posted:

My typical idle temperature according to AMD Ryzen Master is around 40c. This seems a little on the high side given the cooler and case I am using. My old CPU, an i5 6500 would idle around 27-35 with the stock cooler. Should I be concerned and looking to lower those temps, or are these the kind of idle temps I can expect with the Ryzen 5 3600?

For more context, when playing COD Modern Warfare at 1440p 120hz with close to maxed out settings it looked like the CPU never went above 65c. So it looks to be performing decently there.

I also haven't added any additional fans to the cooler or case, but I'm willing to do that if these temps are high and I should be trying to bring them down.

Those temps seem fine. I'm running the stock cooler that came with my 3600X and my idle is around the same as yours, and max temps are more like 75c or so in a relatively warm room (don't have the AC hooked up yet this year).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I couldn’t hold out for Zen3 and bought one of those 3700X’s on sale. Someone please hold me and tell me everything is going to be alright.

I kind of wanted to wait until Black Friday but I found a friend who needs my 1600.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I couldn’t hold out for Zen3 and bought one of those 3700X’s on sale. Someone please hold me and tell me everything is going to be alright.

I kind of wanted to wait until Black Friday but I found a friend who needs my 1600.

I bought a 3600X in April and I feel like I can ride it comfortably for another release or so and upgrade to a faster/more-core Zen 3 or Zen 3+ whatever before they drop the AM4 platform and move on to the next one. That's also part of why I went for an X570 board - clearer upgrade path, especially back in April.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

If you have a 3700X your CPU isn't going to hold you back for quite a while. Worst case you're on par to slightly better than the next gen consoles all the new games are going to be mainly written for in the first place.

The main hardware reason to hold off on a big new build is on the video card side, if you believe the hype the RTX 3000 series is going to be a big jump over current gen.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Are u a bad enough dude

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

And yes, of course it is Asrock. Never any doubt in your mind, I know

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"Welcome to Asrock. Here is your bag of PCP"

Adbot