Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arquinsiel posted:

I used to do that, back when I played Warhammer. Same logic.

It was a mistake.

It makes me happy that other miniature makers clip everything off the sprue for you. Plus they can recycle that poo poo so it doesn't eventually end up in the dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Yeah. I got into the habit of removing unused parts from their sprues and adding them to the bits box (along with a few clean pieces of sprue) after finishing a kit just because those sprues eat up so much space otherwise and they never get used.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I keep my old boxes with the sprees and leftovers in them

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I keep a stash of sprues. Unused parts go in the bit box. And I try and just keep the instructions from finished kits. That saves a ton of space.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Ok, I won't save too much. I've broken a bunch of pegs lately and the runners saved my rear end cause I could drill out the hole and mount a new peg in <10 minutes.

Speaking of which, you don't need a special metric drill set for the most common most metric sizes. you can get "numbered series" / "Wire gauge" drills from ace hardware or any automotive place with a tapping section.
1mm = #61 (0.991mm)
2mm = #47 (1.994mm)
3mm = #32 (2.95mm, but that's even better than 3mm for plastic interference fits and wobbly hand drills)
4mm = #22 (3.99mm)

the oddballs like 2.5 don't really land on that chart properly, but these have served me well.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Vaporware posted:

Ok, I won't save too much. I've broken a bunch of pegs lately and the runners saved my rear end cause I could drill out the hole and mount a new peg in <10 minutes.

Speaking of which, you don't need a special metric drill set for the most common most metric sizes. you can get "numbered series" / "Wire gauge" drills from ace hardware or any automotive place with a tapping section.
1mm = #61 (0.991mm)
2mm = #47 (1.994mm)
3mm = #32 (2.95mm, but that's even better than 3mm for plastic interference fits and wobbly hand drills)
4mm = #22 (3.99mm)

the oddballs like 2.5 don't really land on that chart properly, but these have served me well.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't any place that sells numbered bits also sell metric bits? Or do the metrics generally only come in sets?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Iron Crowned posted:

It makes me happy that other miniature makers clip everything off the sprue for you. Plus they can recycle that poo poo so it doesn't eventually end up in the dumpster.
Anything I've gotten in the last few years has been on sprues still :shrug:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
All of my left over bits get cut from the sprue then I ditch them cause I don’t have the space to store a pile of boxes. Instructions I keep along with all of the left over photoetch sheets cause they normally have bits left over and they could come in handy at some point.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
My wife calls sprues 'sprunes' which I choose to find adorable.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I remember back when I kept sprues to use for .. something that I never used them for.

Now I'm all better. Now I know I can just make any part that I lose/break out of the base material so I no longer have to hoard sprues...

:negative:

Help me...

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

SkunkDuster posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't any place that sells numbered bits also sell metric bits? Or do the metrics generally only come in sets?

Around me I haven't seen individual metric sized bits. They didn't have any at my LHS, nor the big hardware store nearby. I had to hit ace hardware and even they only had a huge tap set. I had to get creative as I had wasted like 2+ hours at that point.

Amazon has metric sets but it's hit or miss when you don't know what brand to buy. Some sets are coming unsharpened from the comments.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Vaporware posted:

Around me I haven't seen individual metric sized bits. They didn't have any at my LHS, nor the big hardware store nearby. I had to hit ace hardware and even they only had a huge tap set. I had to get creative as I had wasted like 2+ hours at that point.

Amazon has metric sets but it's hit or miss when you don't know what brand to buy. Some sets are coming unsharpened from the comments.

I do some machining and used to do a fair bit of woodworking, so I shelled out the cash for a metric set from McMaster-Carr and they've been good. They also sell individual bits, but being McMaster, you are going to pay a premium for them. On the subject of unsharpened bits, I got a pin vise from Amazon and the bits that came with it are terribly dull. Same thing for those 60-80 wire gauge sets in the plastic case with the slide lids. I have two sets of those from Amazon and neither are much good.

I've found that for very small bits, the HUHAO carbide bits for PCBs from Amazon are sharp and cut very well, but the trade-off is that they are so brittle that *any* lateral pressure will snap them.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 17, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I love Drillbits Unlimited for mini and micro drillbits. They take the used bits from the PCB fabs, and sharpen them up and sell them for a discount. Massive selection as well, if you can't find a bit there, it probably doesn't exist.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
If I get any more serious about drilling I'm going to need a proper press. I can't drill without wobbling like crazy and bending bits. But investing time and space into actual machine tools feel like a Rubicon I'm not ready to cross.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
But imagine all the things you could do with a tiny lathe, or a desktop CNC machine.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I remember back when I kept sprues to use for .. something that I never used them for.

Now I'm all better. Now I know I can just make any part that I lose/break out of the base material so I no longer have to hoard sprues...

Help me...

On the upside, all of that burns cleaner than plastic if you have to use it for fuel during the Apocalypse.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

But imagine all the things you could do with a tiny lathe, or a desktop CNC machine.

Do it.. come to the dark side!!

CNC would be cool, but that's beyond my effort level to set up and execute properly.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

The Locator posted:

Help me...

that fully framed model in an upside down hahn style jig you got there...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

alcyon posted:

that fully framed model in an upside down hahn style jig you got there...

I think I talked about that in this thread a years ago when I acquired that, along with a bunch of tools and books from a guy who had permanently retired from ship building for health reasons and was giving it all away. I drove about 14 hours one way to pick up all of the stuff and then turned around and drove home with all of it. Completely filled up the trunk and back seat of a rental car with books, wood and miscellaneous tools and parts. I gave away a bunch of stuff that either I wouldn't use or was duplicate of what I already had.

That partially finished model is the Hannah, which is indeed a Hahn style construction project that he began. I was considering trying to finish it someday, but in the end I decided that if I ever do a fully framed model, I wanted to do all of it, so that Hannah has been sitting on my shelf ever since, as nobody I know here locally is interested in finishing it either.

I thought I had some good pictures of it, but I'm not finding them now.

Edit: Took some pictures real quick with my phone.

Repeating the Disclaimer - THIS IS NOT MY WORK!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 17, 2020

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Thats some fine work and a gorgeous looking hull. I really like the Hahn method, such a sinple&clever approach to ensure everything lines up. Its so neat the whole thing ends up looking like a piece of abstract art.

Such a shame these kind of models tend to end up like this. Unfinished time sinks through failing dexterity and fading eyesight. Still, very pretty as is.

(I’ve been planning and postponing my own foolish attempt at such a model for well over a decade now. Maybe one based on an Ancre monographie when I retire.?)

Fake e: you should put a light behind it and mount it on a wall

alcyon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 17, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Rigging aft of the mainmast is mostly complete. Time to move for'ard and work on everything related to the fore boom (located between the main and foremasts) and fore gaff. The plan remains to rig that which is closest to the center line and radiate outwards for the sake of sanity, so the shrouds will be going in last. Definitely getting the sense that most of the construction of the model is done, and we're on the downward slope now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

alcyon posted:

This is a good idea.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

alcyon posted:

That's a cool idea, will have to look into that.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The Locator posted:

Do it.. come to the dark side!!

CNC would be cool, but that's beyond my effort level to set up and execute properly.

I have been contemplating this for a while myself, but I'm in an apartment and my workspace is basically my kitchen table. As such instead of going for the larger equipment which would take up more room than I have I bought a Foredom and the drill press accessory. It's got more than enough power and is just the right size for my workspace, plus it can serve as a substitute for multiple larger bench-top tools in a pinch. I already successfully drilled 1/8" holes in .350 thick tungsten with it, which is probably the most difficult task I'll ever put it to.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I have been contemplating this for a while myself, but I'm in an apartment and my workspace is basically my kitchen table. As such instead of going for the larger equipment which would take up more room than I have I bought a Foredom and the drill press accessory. It's got more than enough power and is just the right size for my workspace, plus it can serve as a substitute for multiple larger bench-top tools in a pinch. I already successfully drilled 1/8" holes in .350 thick tungsten with it, which is probably the most difficult task I'll ever put it to.

Foredom makes great tools, so as long as it does what you need it to do, no reason to jump deep into the power tools rabbit hole. And a rabbit hole it is!

I know guys who work on their kitchen tables and have an amazing set of power tools that they have to store in a closet and take out and set up as needed. For me that takes way too much effort and organization so I would have never gotten all the power tools I have if I had needed to do setup/teardown and store them as needed and for every work session.

I also have a dual airbrush compressor, scroll saw, band saw, Byrnes Model Machines table saw and thickness sander, a belt sander/disc sander combination and a pair of Dremel tools, one with a long flexible neck and the other in a drill-press setup. And of course there are the shelves, workbenches, table-tops, air-cleaner, not to mention the workshop floor, lighting, etc... yeah.. I am kind of a tools geek I guess, as I have far too much money invested in tools and supplies in my shop for the pathetic number of completed models that have come out of it!

I still want to upgrade my little Proxxon mini-mill into a Sherline and get a Model Machines disk sander, but honestly that's just really hard to justify when I'm not doing full scratch builds and not in the shop all the time working on stuff.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Totally agree, it's too much work to set up and break down your whole tool set for dinner. Which is why I can't bring myself to even get a bench vise, despite stabbing myself holding parts still while drilling or cutting.
I already have several tool boxes moving around depending on the project.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Show your workspaces, if there are any updates since we last saw them!

I did a decent overhaul of my setup. The catalyst for the whole thing was I wanted a new desk for my computer, as the old one was getting a bit ratty from age and a million drinks marring its surface over the years. So I got a nice hardwood from Ikea, and then brought the old one over to the hobby area. It was quite a bit wider than my old main hobby desk, so that gives me a lot more elbowroom for projects right in front of me. The now old main desk was moved to the side, it being longer than the older secondary desk that was there, giving even more room. I then swapped the raised platform over to the third desk against the wall, and moved all power tools and airbrush stuff there. I'm going to build another raised platform for the secondary desk, doubling my space there, but that will have to wait for next weekend.

Added in a new LED magnifying light, getting rid of the old buzzy fluorescent light. Traded out the iPad for a mini-pc with full size monitor, as I was always put off with the small screen of the ipad and the interface in general. And a lot of this was prep because I eventually want to go ham and buy like a grand of Hobbzone modules and redo all storage across the tabletops, but that's a ways off.

A lot of work, but in the end this gives me a lot more room and more options when working on stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I like the nice compact U-space you made there, no need to go anywhere else in the room for stuff!

I'll have to dig around and see what I posted for my workspace to see if it's changed enough to bother taking new pictures (also it's a mess).

Also - nice looking cross-section you have started there!

Edit: Looks like some things have changed, mostly in the power tool benches and level of mess on the main work area, I really need to go in and do a cleanup and organize everything. Even with an entire room I don't have enough space on the benches for the power tools.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 19, 2020

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Don't think I've ever shown my workspace on here. It's tiny and mobile because I model on my computer desk and don't really have the room to have a more permanent set up. I'd like to have enough room to have a spray booth set up becasue with it being winter in this part of the world it's a little cold to do much spraying outside but I think I may have a solution to make sure the paint dries between coats.

In paint news I managed to pick up this set a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure you guys can guess what livery and car these are going to go on. The decals are currently sitting in Spain cause they aren't posting to australia atm. I unfortunately can't move too much further forward with the painting until I have the decal set as it also comes with pre cut masks.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

For those of you who missed out on getting any WnW kits, Andy's hobby HQ is getting a large shipment of them and has promised no price gouging.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

For those of you who missed out on getting any WnW kits, Andy's hobby HQ is getting a large shipment of them and has promised no price gouging.

Has there been any talk of other companies continuing the brand, or at least picking up their preexisting molds?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Has there been any talk of other companies continuing the brand, or at least picking up their preexisting molds?

The only one confirmed so far is Meng's new 1/32 Fokker Dr.1. Meng was producing the tooling for WnW, so this might be a special case.

Roden sounds like they're planning on producing WWI kits again though. Copper State is going to keep developing their Nieuport line of kits, but apparently their WWI armored cars have been selling much better.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Don't think I've ever shown my workspace on here. It's tiny and mobile because I model on my computer desk and don't really have the room to have a more permanent set up. I'd like to have enough room to have a spray booth set up becasue with it being winter in this part of the world it's a little cold to do much spraying outside but I think I may have a solution to make sure the paint dries between coats.

In paint news I managed to pick up this set a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure you guys can guess what livery and car these are going to go on. The decals are currently sitting in Spain cause they aren't posting to australia atm. I unfortunately can't move too much further forward with the painting until I have the decal set as it also comes with pre cut masks.

Something with a Wynn's livery I hope.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Moved workspace to the top floor, and upgraded the bench to something with a more suitable surface. The light in this room is so much better, but the heat gets pretty bad if I leave the skylight blinds open.

Haven't quite finished setting up, but getting there.

Waiting on a second bench to get the power tools setup.

Could really do with that drill being setup right now, as trying to get 0.5mm holes with a dremel is beyond my hands. Not pictured: the shame cupboard overflowing with backlog.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Spectral Elvis posted:

Not pictured: the shame cupboard overflowing with backlog.

It's not a shame cupboard, it's tangible proof that I plan to live forever!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Spectral Elvis posted:

Moved workspace to the top floor, and upgraded the bench to something with a more suitable surface. The light in this room is so much better, but the heat gets pretty bad if I leave the skylight blinds open.

Is that a Benchvent spray booth? Been wanting to upgrade mine to a Benchvent lately, but they're very pricey to get here in Canada.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Show your workspaces, if there are any updates since we last saw them!

I did a decent overhaul of my setup. The catalyst for the whole thing was I wanted a new desk for my computer, as the old one was getting a bit ratty from age and a million drinks marring its surface over the years. So I got a nice hardwood from Ikea, and then brought the old one over to the hobby area. It was quite a bit wider than my old main hobby desk, so that gives me a lot more elbowroom for projects right in front of me. The now old main desk was moved to the side, it being longer than the older secondary desk that was there, giving even more room. I then swapped the raised platform over to the third desk against the wall, and moved all power tools and airbrush stuff there. I'm going to build another raised platform for the secondary desk, doubling my space there, but that will have to wait for next weekend.

Added in a new LED magnifying light, getting rid of the old buzzy fluorescent light. Traded out the iPad for a mini-pc with full size monitor, as I was always put off with the small screen of the ipad and the interface in general. And a lot of this was prep because I eventually want to go ham and buy like a grand of Hobbzone modules and redo all storage across the tabletops, but that's a ways off.

A lot of work, but in the end this gives me a lot more room and more options when working on stuff.

I like your workspaces fellow goons! Here, have my lovely-U shaped workplace. It's also my home workplace for my profession (Architecture), that's why the table and chair are like that. I hope I can get a new home in the following years and get a proper space as I struggle to fit everything here.

Hedgehog, is that the Bandai or Zvezda SD?

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is that a Benchvent spray booth? Been wanting to upgrade mine to a Benchvent lately, but they're very pricey to get here in Canada.

It is! Continually impressed with the threads ability to identify tools at a glance. Haven't actually used it in anger yet, as it only arrived this week.

I did manage to get a tear in the stock ducting whilst installing it, but was easily refitted with reinforced 4" ducting.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sparq posted:

Hedgehog, is that the Bandai or Zvezda SD?

It''s the larger Zvezda, although in my case it's the Revell, after Revell bought the molds from Zvezda. Full fiberoptic lighting in it too. Hopefully have it finished within the next month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Workspace posts have encouraged me to clean up my modest workspace. It's wild the amount of clutter that gets pushed to the wayside. I feel like I have three times the workspace now that I've moved my tools and uncluttered my desk