Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

DelphiAegis posted:

Is that really a commentary on how slow/bad IT systems are, or a commentary on how terrible the institution of marriage is? :thunk:

It's honestly an indictment of how brittle IT systems are. They are designed by people with no consideration to how humans actually work.

Using something mutable as the primary key anywhere is bad. People have been changing names for centuries and yet still systems are set up to rely on something mutable…not being mutable. It's maddening.

Other insanities: Trying to fit people's names into rigidly designed schemes. I've had this fight at our org that really got under my skin because someone just could not accept that requiring Firstname, Lastname with each being (len(name) > 2) DOES NOT WORK. WE ARE A UNIVERSITY YOU MORON, YOU KNOW WE HAVE STUDENTS THAT DON'T FIT INTO THAT FOR FUCKS SAKE. Jfc this is still pissing me off because it is so utterly pointless.

Had another fight with the same guy who was like "oh, but they never tell us their gender, so we have to guess from their first name, this is very important so we can know how to address them". Just ask them how they'd like to be addressed you antisocial gently caress, for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

It's honestly an indictment of how brittle IT systems are. They are designed by people with no consideration to how humans actually work.

Using something mutable as the primary key anywhere is bad. People have been changing names for centuries and yet still systems are set up to rely on something mutable…not being mutable. It's maddening.

Other insanities: Trying to fit people's names into rigidly designed schemes. I've had this fight at our org that really got under my skin because someone just could not accept that requiring Firstname, Lastname with each being (len(name) > 2) DOES NOT WORK. WE ARE A UNIVERSITY YOU MORON, YOU KNOW WE HAVE STUDENTS THAT DON'T FIT INTO THAT FOR FUCKS SAKE. Jfc this is still pissing me off because it is so utterly pointless.

Had another fight with the same guy who was like "oh, but they never tell us their gender, so we have to guess from their first name, this is very important so we can know how to address them". Just ask them how they'd like to be addressed you antisocial gently caress, for gently caress's sake.

I worked at a place where the IT support app had a fixed limit of 50 characters for the email address field on the login page. My email address was more than 50 characters. Of course I couldn't open a ticket because I couldn't log in.. They "fixed" it by giving me an email alias.

Several years later I was told it had been fixed properly. They'd raised the limit to 100 characters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I once had a team we integrate with update the integration ID on ~40 records, then blithely push them back to us creating many collisions and duplicates. When I raised this as an issue he just asked if I could update the integration ID in our system since that would be easier for him, despite the fact that our system is the point of record for those integration IDs.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I guess we've all read the following?

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

A similar list exists for date & time and addresses.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I worked at a place where the IT support app had a fixed limit of 50 characters for the email address field on the login page. My email address was more than 50 characters. Of course I couldn't open a ticket because I couldn't log in.. They "fixed" it by giving me an email alias.

Several years later I was told it had been fixed properly. They'd raised the limit to 100 characters.

The hell was your email address? Nobody has time to type all that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol date & time is easy to calculate, I'll just write my own parser

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Oh you have just one name? I hope you like being called Fnu.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Oh you have just one name? I hope you like being called Fnu.

I'm reminded of the time the Obu family showed up on Family Feud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__bAh8nV9MI

TL;DC: Steve Harvey noticed that, of the Obu family, one's nametag is (OBU). Some questioning leads him to find out that the young man's full name is, in fact, verified by driver's license, "Obu Obu Obu".

Steve: Who... uh... who named you Obu Obu Obu?
Obu^3: My father.
Steve: Is your father... still livin'?
Obu^3: Oh yes, he's right out there (in the audience).

Steve asks said Mr Obu what his name is. Without missing a beat, he booms out OBUUUUUUUUUUU!

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 16, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’ve seen that clip several times and it’s just lovely.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The singing and dancing are perfect

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We have one system at work whose name is a foreign loanword with a diacritic, but it's completely hit-or-miss as to whether it's spelled with the mark or not in the documentation, in code comments, in emails, etc. You never know if you need to search for, say, "soirée" or "soiree".

My heart goes out to anyone whose name contains a character that doesn't appear on a regular US keyboard. Take the ordinary pain level of any encounter with a bureaucracy, and square it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

We had one user who insisted on having the ñ appear in her surname wherever possible, this type of request was a first for me and I remember being surprised at how difficult it was to accommodate, if at all possible.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

At least modern databases are finally configured standard for the full character set, right guys? Right? :negative:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Doing a O365 migration and the AD sync tool is bitching because of an apostrophe in someone's name.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tell Ra's al Ghul he's out of luck

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Tell Ra's al Ghul he's out of luck

Also tell him we already changed his name to Talia al Ghul, it's too much work to change it again but to Bruce Wayne this time.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I work with a team in Poland, so there are a lot of Ł and other special characters. I feel bad leaving the accents out, but I would have to go copy and paste from somewhere.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody using some on-premise tool for remote desktop connection/assistance that is NOT Windows RDP and also works with hardware acceleration? I'm in a team trying to identify a few candidates, Guacamole seems to tick all the boxes besides the hardware acceleration part. Guessing we'll end up recommending TeamViewer or similar 3rd party tool for those cases.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sirotan posted:

Anybody using some on-premise tool for remote desktop connection/assistance that is NOT Windows RDP and also works with hardware acceleration? I'm in a team trying to identify a few candidates, Guacamole seems to tick all the boxes besides the hardware acceleration part. Guessing we'll end up recommending TeamViewer or similar 3rd party tool for those cases.

I've heard good things about remina, but have only used it on an rpi where it's slow af

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

At least modern databases are finally configured standard for the full character set, right guys? Right? :negative:

GreenNight posted:

Doing a O365 migration and the AD sync tool is bitching because of an apostrophe in someone's name.

Most seem to struggle with the O'Rileys O'Sullivans and O'Connors of the world, so Spın̈al Tap haven't a chance.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Guy Axlerod posted:

I work with a team in Poland, so there are a lot of Ł and other special characters. I feel bad leaving the accents out, but I would have to go copy and paste from somewhere.

We've learned that lesson in Germany.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gonna change my name to 😎🍆😮

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Gonna change my name to 😎🍆😮

Don't forget a few 💯s and 🔥s

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If you want to watch the world burn, have a name in a RTL writing system.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think vertical is better.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I feel this post so hard.

I had a similar internal fight about names and linked the same "falsehoods programmers believe about names" article to prove my point: we cannot implicitly assume (or loving truncate! What the gently caress!) any naming schema. We deal with a lot of data driven by hr systems so our name data runs the gamut of american (and amereican-ized) names.

So yeah, we have a lot of fnu and lnu in our totally modern first_name, middle_name, last_name db schema, why do you ask?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RealVNC has some options for that. They license either on number of servers with unlimited connections, or by technician, and you can put the client on all your systems. We're using the first option on several system and the server and client are both pretty solid. The second option could be good as your helpdesk option.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Any companies that make it difficult or give any pushback at all to name changes need to be flung into the Sun.

And to be totally honest, this seems to only affect women and transgendered people and its extremely weird at the support of making these processes so difficult. I swear to god bigots out themselves every single time we go through this at a company I am at.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 16, 2020

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I can't change your username, because unique key and the system throws a loving fit if I try. But I'll sure as hell change someone's display name if they ask.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kurieg posted:

I can't change your username, because unique key and the system throws a loving fit if I try. But I'll sure as hell change someone's display name if they ask.

Username shouldn't be the unique key, and if it must me then you should probably use something other than someone's name.

I've logged in with a 8 character employee id at more than one job, so this is a thing that can happen

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sickening posted:

Any companies that make it difficult or give any pushback at all to name changes need to be flung into the Sun.

And to be totally honest, this seems to only affect women and transgendered people and its extremely weird at the support of making these processes so difficult. I swear to god bigots out themselves every single time we go through this at a company I am at.

It really is an excellent example of tech being built by mostly cis hey white males with no inclination to think about even the existence of use cases commonly experienced by any other groups.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

It's funny because the most "traditional" marriage would involve the wife changing her name. Unless this is employee-only thing and they think women aren't meant to work?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Username shouldn't be the unique key, and if it must me then you should probably use something other than someone's name.

I've logged in with a 8 character employee id at more than one job, so this is a thing that can happen

It's the unique key of the User table and I wholeheartedly agree with you, considering they've hired and fired enough JSMITHs that I think we're up to JSMITH15

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm always amazed at how something as simple and common as a name change is such a difficult IT problem. One of my co-workers put in a name change request after getting married. She managed to get divorced before they managed to change her name in her email address.

I’ve automated this at my organization to the point it requires minimal IT intervention. About the only thing we need to do once the name is changed in HR, is tell the user how to access their old home folder.

There’s some department apps that don’t play as nice - our expense software dumped me into the accounts of an employee from three years ago cuz we had the same first initial and last name and they never delete accounts. Other than minor one-offs though, it’s really about a 15 minute process for IT.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Soylent Pudding posted:

It really is an excellent example of tech being built by mostly cis hey white males with no inclination to think about even the existence of use cases commonly experienced by any other groups.
Comedy Option: we let people pick their own usernames and they're stuck with it.

"Welcome to the company ButtMonkey69!"

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Comedy Option: we let people pick their own usernames and they're stuck with it.
Nah just charge them $7.95 to change it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well I've got mine picked out

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Welcome to the company ButtMonkey69!"

I actually think this is great, no one should really be seeing usernames other than the user and IT.

Maybe make a rule it can't be offensive for the sake of IT having to see it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't know if it still does it, but it used to be the case that if you used the built-in iOS mail app to authenticate to Exchange and your UPN didn't match your email address, Mail would think you'd been BCCd into the message and tapping reply-all would add you to the CC field and then send you a copy of the message you just sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

RFC2324 posted:

We have a system at our work that can only accept ASCII. Which is always fun when someone tries to ship stuff to Puerto Rico. (due to diacritical marks)

We have another system that still uses SSN as the unique ID. It's so embedded and entrenched in other systems that we can't get away from it, and since it's tied into HR systems we can't fake it either. It's extremely stupid.

E: Oh yeah, these are in no way modern. They were built up in the 80s at least. Still truckin' hard all this time later. No end in sight. :v: I told them they need to fix it to accept unicode before something explodes when someone puts an emoji in their address.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 16, 2020