Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just finished Steel Ball Run for the first time and all I have to say is holy poo poo. I’m so glad JoJo exists because it’s some of the most awesome poo poo my eyes have ever beheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I think Araki managed to outdo himself in terms of just spouting the weirdest loving poo poo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Really though, am I misreading it or did Araki just say that Enya and Hermes are rock people?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Really though, am I misreading it or did Araki just say that Enya and Hermes are rock people?

where are you guys getting Hermes from? I see Dio in the Stone Mask and Enya with the Arrows in direct comparison with the Devil's Palm and I have no idea what's going on

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FirstAidKite posted:

I think they're just being used as visual aides as to what "normal" human woman look like and how Rock Folk women are completely indistinguishable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

i feel like people are focusing only on one specific phrase on that page and ignoring the context that araki is probably just showing women in general as just this vague depiction of 'well ANYONE could be a rock human' and just happened to throw in a couple women from the series along with the photo-realistic ones

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Araki my dude what the gently caress do you smoke and where do I get it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

overmind2000 posted:

New chapter is up on MangaDex

I can't decide if this chapter was the result of Araki spinning his wheels for a month or if he genuinely thinks we need to spend half of a chapter learning deep rock human lore and his musings on biology. The first fourteen pages are completely skippable, what a loving disappointment

what are you on about?
many of us have been wanting to learn about this for roughly a decade.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

what are you on about?
many of us have been wanting to learn about this for roughly a decade.

Looking back on it I probably just had a bad first reaction and rushed to post my immediate thoughts without really thinking about it more. Still, I really do wish that we got to see more of the stuff with the head doctor because the last chapter ended (at least for me) with the feeling that things were finally going to get down to a proper fight.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Arakai I know you've listened to snoop just call him 'head doctor' it's fine

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
those two are just the only non-joestar women he remembers from previous parts

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

So do we know the reference?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

where are you guys getting Hermes from? I see Dio in the Stone Mask and Enya with the Arrows in direct comparison with the Devil's Palm and I have no idea what's going on

https://i.imgur.com/cqmx6XZ.png

I just couldn't tell if it was meant to be a collage of like "look at this, some of these could be rock humans" or "check out this collage of rock women who look just like human women" or whatever

Also god Tooru's hair is so stupid lol, he looks like a mushroom. I didn't realize until this chapter that that was his hair, I thought he'd been wearing a hat.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

FirstAidKite posted:

https://i.imgur.com/cqmx6XZ.png

I just couldn't tell if it was meant to be a collage of like "look at this, some of these could be rock humans" or "check out this collage of rock women who look just like human women" or whatever

They are just there to illustrate human women. This very same chapter makes a point about how rock humans have no real family or form any bonds. Hermes and Enya both have family they care about deeply.

e: Though since part 7 and 8 are a different continuity, it is possible they are rock humans this time.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 18, 2020

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

fractalairduct posted:

The stand name? It's an Elvis song

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Just read the chapter and holy gently caress I love this Rock Human encyclopedia thing that's going on in Part 8.
That said, really hope the actual "battle" that's happening in the present picks up, because it's just two people trying to stay still and a lovely creature between them.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

fractalairduct posted:

It's both a song by Elvis and an album of his songs put out post-mortem in 2016 using archival voice recordings of him backed up by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Robviously posted:

and an album of his songs put out post-mortem in 2016 using archival voice recordings of him backed up by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
This is the version Tooru was listening and styling to when Jobin got owned by a spray can.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I prefer to think that hes saying Aretha Franklin is a rock person.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i think this track works well here:

https://i.imgur.com/fvaEMma.mp4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

I think they're just being used as visual aides as to what "normal" human woman look like and how Rock Folk women are completely indistinguishable.

What about the art pieces that are mixed in there?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Electric Phantasm posted:

What about the art pieces that are mixed in there?

Venus De Milo is almost certainly a rock human

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I want to know why Araki showed a Stone Mask and a Stand Arrow when neither apparently exist in the new universe.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Technowolf posted:

I want to know why Araki showed a Stone Mask and a Stand Arrow when neither apparently exist in the new universe.

i don't think we're in a position at this stage of the story to be assuming anything about this universe anymore. Not too long from now, in the previous part which this part is still in the universe of, we saw Funny Valentine rip through continuity to pull in a version of Diego Brando who a) has a stand already manifested, and b) it was THE WORLD, and not Scary Monsters. This is roughly the stage of a Jojo part where we start seeing temporal poo poo go wild.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Technowolf posted:

Both involve rocks, the mask being made of rock and the metal the arrows are made from having come from a large space rock

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Greatest Enemy of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: rocks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the world moves on, but rock will never die

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The final boss of Jojolion just whacks people to death with the Aerosmith album Rocks.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The Holy Corpse wasn't Jesus, it was Peter.

Matthew 16:18 posted:

So I will call you Peter, which means "a rock." On this rock I will build my church, and death itself will not have any power over it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even part 5 had important rocks in it

what's with Araki and rocks

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Add me to the list of people who loved the exposition dump here. This is definitely the most bizarre part of the series so far.

I don’t think the chapter was meant to suggest that Ermes, Enya, or any of the other pictures were rock humans so much as it was just showing women in general. That’s why you’ve got statues included.

As for the references to previous parts I’m not sure if it’s saying the continuities are linked or not, but honestly? I don’t think it is. I think it’s meant to show things made with the “blessings of the earth” that it mentions. My first thought was that the images of the stand arrow and mask were to show that those artifacts also exist in the SBR-verse, but I don’t think that’s quite right.
Since the chapter Araki made about stands back during SBR also mentioned the stone mask, we know he’s explained concepts using both series before. Its possible that similarly, it’s suggesting there were rock humans in the original continuity that had a hand in making the arrow and mask (we never learned who carved the arrow so that would make sense, and rock humans would be able to blend in perfectly with the pillar men’s species as well. In fact, you could even suggest that the pillar men themselves are a form of rock human from that continuity, even if their life cycles don’t seem to line up. They did turn to stone after all.

We know the Devil’s Palms were caused by the meteor hitting the holy corpse, but we also don’t know for sure what the mechanics of it are or any other specifics, only what’s in the legend. The chapter is also vague about whether the places like it and Morioh were outright created by rock humans or if they just used them.

By the way, did we already know that the agent that came to Morioh before was Lucy?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I can’t tell if the translation is spotty or if the original is actually that vague and confusing, so I think I’ll pick up the newest Ultra Jump and let you guys know

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

somepartsareme posted:

The stand name? It's an Elvis song

Robviously posted:

It's both a song by Elvis and an album of his songs put out post-mortem in 2016 using archival voice recordings of him backed up by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Great, thanks!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ok, I bought the latest Ultra Jump on the way home and realized that I was an idiot and reading the translation wrong. When HWMN’s translation said “make places that give rock humans special powers as their homes,” I interpreted it as making a place so they could live there instead of living in those special places (which already existed). I was probably the only one though!

For the record the text is “岩人間に特別の力を与えてくれる特別の場所こそが真の棲み家なのである,” which I believe is translated right but maybe a bit awkwardly phrased in the scans. I would have phrased it as “their true habitat is places that give the rock humans special powers.” So nothing about the Devil’s Palms or Morioh is caused by the rock humans, the rock humans just live around there.

EDIT: Outside of having to look up some vocabulary I’m surprisingly understanding this better than the English translation so far, lol.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 19, 2020

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm just very disappointed that it has not revealed that rock humans were caused by Kars having some weird effect on the timeline reset. I mean I guess that could still happen.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The timeline reset is different from part 7 and 8. Kars (probably) never existed in this universe.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Waiting for their progenitor to turn out to be Angelo

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Ok, I bought the latest Ultra Jump on the way home and realized that I was an idiot and reading the translation wrong. When HWMN’s translation said “make places that give rock humans special powers as their homes,” I interpreted it as making a place so they could live there instead of living in those special places (which already existed). I was probably the only one though!

For the record the text is “岩人間に特別の力を与えてくれる特別の場所こそが真の棲み家なのである,” which I believe is translated right but maybe a bit awkwardly phrased in the scans. I would have phrased it as “their true habitat is places that give the rock humans special powers.” So nothing about the Devil’s Palms or Morioh is caused by the rock humans, the rock humans just live around there.

EDIT: Outside of having to look up some vocabulary I’m surprisingly understanding this better than the English translation so far, lol.

HWMN is comprised of rock humans which is why their translations have nothing in common with the way humans speak

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Mangadex has a new alternate translation from Dogpark that’s a massive improvement from HWMN. They got a couple words wrong this chapter, though, so I basically now just read Dogpark, take note of any confusing phrases, then check HWMN’s version to see if it got it right. Dogpark’s writing combined with HWMN’s accuracy would be the perfect translation but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hope Kewl doesn’t start any drama and forces Dogpark to stop, it’s good to have two reference points