Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

Mangadex has a new alternate translation from Dogpark that’s a massive improvement from HWMN. They got a couple words wrong this chapter, though, so I basically now just read Dogpark, take note of any confusing phrases, then check HWMN’s version to see if it got it right. Dogpark’s writing combined with HWMN’s accuracy would be the perfect translation but alas.

which phrases seemed wonky in Dogpark's #99? having read HWMN's first, it just seemed like similar information but written like someone who knows English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I was actually thinking of doing my own translation of the chapter for this thread but if someone else did it already then that’s probably overkill.
If you guys have any lines you’re curious about I can check my copy and clear it up!

EDIT: the dogpark translation reads a lot more naturally for the most part but it actually gets several lines completely wrong.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 19, 2020

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Even part 5 had important rocks in it

what's with Araki and rocks
Look at the thread title.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I was actually thinking of doing my own translation of the chapter for this thread but if someone else did it already then that’s probably overkill.
If you guys have any lines you’re curious about I can check my copy and clear it up!

EDIT: the dogpark translation reads a lot more naturally for the most part but it actually gets several lines completely wrong.

I've thought about learning how to make clean looking edits and rewriting the obviously funky English in HWMN's translations. I wouldn't want to make them mad though

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
It's self-evident that there's not a single thing that's good to overlook

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

It's self-evident that there's nout a single thing that's goooooo~~d to overloooooo~k

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a "single" "thing"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I would loving love to get decent translations. I don't know what it is about Jojo that attracts such lovely ones.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Honestly at this point I think the weeeeeee~~~~ird drawing out and spellings of Wourds and the 'random' [quotes or brackets] are just too iconic to the Jojolion Experience for me to be without.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
So did Tooru kill Mamezuku’s dad?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

So did Tooru kill Mamezuku’s dad?

no it was landslide

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

no it was landslide

no it was mat bug

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

grieving for Gandalf posted:

which phrases seemed wonky in Dogpark's #99? having read HWMN's first, it just seemed like similar information but written like someone who knows English

The most noticeable was page 12, talking about how silicon life is "the least slippery assignment of roles", while the HWMN translation implies it should be the much more understandable "fallback". Though the Dogpark translation also uses "fallback" at one point so maybe two different words were used for a similar thing and that tripped them up? There's also the guy on page 17 asking for parking validation, Dogpark's "well, common sense is free, you know!" vs "you would think it would be free, but...", I didn't know what the heck he was going on about when reading Dogpark's version. Note that I don't know any Japanese, it's just interesting to try and puzzle this stuff out by referencing two different translations.

For the most part, you're right, it's way better. I'd just feel weird recommending them without at least mentioning that.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hmm... I think I’m gonna go ahead and post my own translation of the chapter here for comparison. I need the practice and I have bilingual Japanese friends who can check anything I’m not 100% sure of for me. I’m aware this will probably piss off scanlators and will probably just be a one time thing.

I won’t scan anything (I don’t want to get fined/arrested/deported) but I’m sure someone could just plug the text into the existing scans.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 20, 2020

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

yearly

why wasn't aisho's stand "rock you like a hurricane"?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
It's ironic how in a series that goes on and on about "equivalent exchanges" it turns out that the rock people are literal parasites.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is it possible that poor tom's death was a result of the calamity

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

Probably not, Wu or U shot him

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I guess it could be possible since we don’t see where the bullet came from IIRC (I think it was a different direction from the a ambulance), but Poor Tom didn’t actually know which of his allies came for the branch and I think Wonder of U needs the person to want to pursue it/Akefu. He might’ve just gotten sniped by Urban Guerrilla off-screen (unless I’m misremembering and the bullet did come from the ambulance).
For the record, the “head doctor” was definitely onboard (the driver I believe) but we can’t see if it’s Tohru or Akefu.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

would firing a gun at someone under the effect of Wonder of U basically mean you're gonna hit for sure?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Johnny eyes.jpg

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

whoa what if the boulder was Calamity

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aurora posted:

whoa what if the boulder was Calamity

How many years has it been since Johnny's death?

Certainly a bit longer than 89

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I dunno. 89 years is a long time. :/

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Johnny died in 1901 in the chapter Morioh Town 1901

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

Don't Rock humans have super long lifespans, or did my brain just invent that?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

110 years

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i considered whether it was just kite making an 89 years old joke but also the old man isn't a real person guys

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Don't Rock humans have super long lifespans, or did my brain just invent that?

They can live up to 240 years. None of the ones we’ve seen so far seem anywhere near that though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Wonder of U the most sentient stand we've seen?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Wonder of U the most sentient stand we've seen?

Anubis and Dragon's Dream were sentient to the point of being able to think and have personalities separate from their user but Wonder of U is ahead of them by being able to have a career independent of its user (probably)

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 24, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Whitesnake had enough sapience to bitch about his job.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Funky Valentine posted:

Whitesnake had enough sapience to bitch about his job.

And use a gun. Pucci's stand got way lamer the more it evolved

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I appreciate Stairway to Heaven for being Araki trial-running the way he'll design Stands starting in SBR.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

whitesnake's only ability was being able to shoot a gun, but only at pigeons.

pucci was just able to do the weird disc thing normally

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

Don't forget about the weird wall melting hallucination thing he does once

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that was jellyfish

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

There's no way he could be 110 years-old.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Joestar posted:

My favorite forgotten detail of Pucci's disc ability is that he can imprint orders on them and stick them in people and it acts like Heaven's Door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

My favorite forgotten detail of Pucci's disc ability is that compact discs didn’t exist when he first got his stand