Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So if a gun can be "fed" a devil fruit, can you give one to a tree? Does the Zou tree have a devil fruit power?

If you feed a fruit to a gun, when does the gun "die" so the fruit can respawn? When the gun is destroyed? How much needs to be destroyed? What if it's repaired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also how exactly do you “feed” an inanimate object a Devil Fruit?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly my question is how the gently caress Baroque Works got their hands on a gun dog, like Funkfreed makes sense insofar as Vegapunk works for the marines, and Ceaser used to work with Vegapunk too and can manipulate gas so Smiley makes sense too, but gun dog?

Also one of my biggest letdowns in this entire series is that Zoro never got an adorable pet sword elephant

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

Also how exactly do you “feed” an inanimate object a Devil Fruit?

Presumably we'll learn how this works when Vegapunk is introduced.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly my question is how the gently caress Baroque Works got their hands on a gun dog, like Funkfreed makes sense insofar as Vegapunk works for the marines, and Ceaser used to work with Vegapunk too and can manipulate gas so Smiley makes sense too, but gun dog?

Also one of my biggest letdowns in this entire series is that Zoro never got an adorable pet sword elephant

The gundog returns in the final arc, along with his master Donquixote Mr. 4.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Crocodile was still a Shichibukai back then so he couldve just asked Vegapunk to make him a gun-dog

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

He was a Warlord and had Gov connections. Not too hard to believe Croc could find a connection willing to make it happen. Hell the dog fruit doesn’t seem particularly valuable, they could’ve used it as an experiment and he requested it once done.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The dog fruit is incredibly valuable.
Imagine what would happen if you fed it to a dog.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I’m imagining a Boston Terrier eating the Dog-Dog Fruit: Newfoundland model transforming on someone’s lap, but really a full blown Newfie would still act like a lap dog.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Libra posted:

The dog fruit is incredibly valuable.
Imagine what would happen if you fed it to a dog.

It would become an enlightened dog.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Julias posted:

It would become an enlightened dog.

"We are all good boys."

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Is one piece still doing one week on, one week off due to the pandemic?

E: all the weeks run together so I’m having trouble keeping track

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think all of SJ is on a pre-planned break due to the Olympics before the COVID poo poo hit.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^yeah it's this.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
One thing I noticed about the crew is that they don't talk about poo poo it doesn't matter. Like no one asked Zoro what the gently caress is up with his eye.

Robin probably knows all about Dragon, Kuma, Sabo , etc. and never said anything.

Brook probably knew the Rocks crew.

I know Luffy doesn't care but I do.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Julias posted:

^yeah it's this.

No jump week is hell

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Kild posted:

Uh theres 5 of them. Luffy is a gokou
I can't tell if you can read Goku's name as Gokou or vice versa, but if it's possible, then it's the best pun Oda's ever made.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Gokou" looks like a spelling of Goku only used by the same people who call Bulma "Blooma".

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dragon ball as translated by the team that does jojolion

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

"Gokou" looks like a spelling of Goku only used by the same people who call Bulma "Blooma".

Gokou is the romanization used by pretty much all Japanese Dragon Ball material. It's not great, no, but it's not something that came from the fanbase.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gokou is the romanization used by pretty much all Japanese Dragon Ball material. It's not great, no, but it's not something that came from the fanbase.

That's false. Goku's name is go-ku-u, or gokū. The phrase Yonko would be Yo-n-ko-u, or Yonkō. Similarly, Gokō, or Go-ko-u.

So there is no connection there at all.

Julias fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 24, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Julias posted:

That's false. Goku's name is go-ku-u, or gokū. The phrase Yonko would be Yo-n-ko-u, or Yonkō. Similarly, Gokō, or Go-ko-u.

So there is no connection there at all.

No, it's not. It's a reality that Japanese material tends to romanize his name as Son Gokou. It's a really bad romanization, and I don't think anyone other than those official romanizations use it nor they should, but it's still the romanization Japan uses for reasons I can't really understand (I guess it's meant to be pronounced like "cougar" but it's such a weird choice).

EDIT: Here, examples.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 24, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well, you learn something new every day. Though I still highly doubt that the reference is intentional since goku and gokou would be pronounced differently in Japanese anyways.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Figure boxes are incredibly inconsistent for officially licensed products. Just ask my figures of Perhona, Boa Hankokku, and Rob Rucchi.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

Well, you learn something new every day. Though I still highly doubt that the reference is intentional since goku and gokou would be pronounced differently in Japanese anyways.

Has the anime gotten to that part yet (I think so as it was before Luffy arrived on Wano)? If so, how did they pronounce it there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Julias posted:

By all means it's a silly coincidence at best, I just wanted to point out that Gokou isn't something that comes from the weird side of the fanbase that romanizes everything bizarrely, it's an official romanization, if a terrible one.

Never trust Toei/Bandai to romanize anything though. I'd know, I'm a Digimon fan.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, has anyone considered how cool and insane it is that there's a talking skeleton on the crew?

I don't think that gets enough attention.

It's pretty crazy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eiba posted:

Man, has anyone considered how cool and insane it is that there's a talking skeleton on the crew?

It's pretty crazy.

ya but he uses his gift of being a talking skeleton to ask for panties????

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Eiba posted:

It's pretty crazy.

I think the crazy part is that looking at rough draft sketches Oda’s put out the talking skeleton man was always planned to be a thing.

Honestly Brook kinda gets screwed by being introduced right before the timeskip; Franky kinda suffers a little too but he’s so extra that he still manages to squeeze in some good moments like his fight with Señor Pink

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Last Celebration posted:

I think the crazy part is that looking at rough draft sketches Oda’s put out the talking skeleton man was always planned to be a thing.

Honestly Brook kinda gets screwed by being introduced right before the timeskip; Franky kinda suffers a little too but he’s so extra that he still manages to squeeze in some good moments like his fight with Señor Pink
Franky has been in the crew since 2006 and Brooke, since 2008. They've both been in the crew 12 years and it's kinda of crazy to think how little happened in post time-skip compared to pre-time skip

Wasn't there another equally insane amount of time after Zou until the entire Straw Hat Crew had met up again, like 8 years or something?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly that’s the reason I like Punk Hazard so much; it feels by far the most “oldschool” of all the postskip arcs, cause it’s largely just an adventure on a weird island with some great gags like horrifying Chopper expressions that everyone gets in on at least a little bit. It’s the last time I remember reading every new chapter with that sense of childish joy I remember when I first found this dumb series on Hulu.

Not that what we’ve been getting is bad, of course. Or even mediocre most of the time.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly that’s the reason I like Punk Hazard so much; it feels by far the most “oldschool” of all the postskip arcs, cause it’s largely just an adventure on a weird island with some great gags like horrifying Chopper expressions that everyone gets in on at least a little bit. It’s the last time I remember reading every new chapter with that sense of childish joy I remember when I first found this dumb series on Hulu.

Not that what we’ve been getting is bad, of course. Or even mediocre most of the time.

Hoping they break out the log pose one last time before Raftel. Yamato's log book will probably contain info on the island with the final poneglyph. Maybe Oden didn't write down the island's name and they'll have to explore the NW for it. Hard for the crew to explore islands without pursuers though. Luffy's 1.5B bounty must put him in the top 10 most wanted pirates.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I wanna know how collecting these 1b+ bounties even works. Like, how would a marine base handle some crazy bounty hunters showing up with Queen hog-tied in the hold of their ship?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ThingOne posted:

I wanna know how collecting these 1b+ bounties even works. Like, how would a marine base handle some crazy bounty hunters showing up with Queen hog-tied in the hold of their ship?

Freaking out at first, and after that I guess Vice Admirals would show up to handle it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm halfway convinced that the extreme bounties the WG doesn't actually expected anyone to collect on and serves more of a "THIS PERSON IS SUPER DUPITY DANGEROUS, CALL MARINES" thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It has to otherwise the complete lack of bounty hunters at the highest level is odd. Although we don't know what fujitora was doing before he joined the marines right?

it makes the shichibukai a bit weird because we know the world government were willing to let former pirates have a lot of freedom in return for fighting for them so surely there must be some extremely powerful bounty hunters who are WG affiliated since they claim bounties but not actually part of the WG. Has Oda ever been asked about it in an SBS corner?

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 25, 2020

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
As far as I remember most of the people we've seen who are bounty hunters went pirate eventually anyway. Zoro, Baroque Works, those guys at the Dressrosa tournament. I think the Franky family used to pick up bounties back in the day.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pirate bounties were, in real life, not just incentives for pirate hunters but also incentive for pirates to turn on each other, either a rival crew or that particular captains crew doing a mutiny for the cash.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The weapon-stealing cactus bounty hunter from the Dressrosa coliseum had a cool gimmick and it felt like missed potential he never popped up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I assume Mihawk did some bounty hunting on occasion to pay for rare wines and the upkeep of his castle, and I agree with Jose that Fujitora being a bounty hunter before joining the Marines seems likely.

Also, Kaidou has been captured 18 times (his enemies just couldn't find a way to kill him), so it's quite possible that Kaidou's bounty has already been collected multiple times.