Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Don't forget about the weird wall melting hallucination thing he does once

he does it twice THANK YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
three times I think.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

My favorite forgotten detail of Pucci's disc ability is that compact discs didn’t exist when he first got his stand

They were mini-laserdiscs originally

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Love when Araki draws the fire in the eyes for a character who’s ready to kill. One of my favorite images of Johnny was with the killing intent eyes, and it’s cool to see him do it with other characters.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

overmind2000 posted:

Anubis and Dragon's Dream were sentient to the point of being able to think and have personalities separate from their user but Wonder of U is ahead of them by being able to have a career independent of its user (probably)

the capitalist stand

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

goblin week posted:

the capitalist stand

Nah that's Milagro Man

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

goddamn the introduction of speed king is ominous

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm loving this arc but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop where Kaato reenters the plot to turn things even further sideways.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 26, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Caato suddenly bushwhacks Tooru to save her precious fuckboi son, Gappy and Rai are incredibly confused when Wonder of U up and vanishes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did anything come up of that one stand that appeared before they started chasing Wonder of U? I remember there being something but I don't know if it's just another form Wonder of U takes or what.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was Wonder of U before getting dressed

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

more or less, yeah

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wonder of U - Abilities:

- affect multiple people, regardless of distance, with "calamities" - supernaturally bad luck homing in on them -, as long as they pursue it
- act autonomously, but allow its user to assume direct control any time
- wear clothes

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m gonna do it
I’m gonna translate the chapter today probably

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

FirstAidKite posted:

Nah that's Milagro Man

Milagro Man is actually the working man’s stand as it makes people despise the rich.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Definitely starting to understand how people who were reading Jojolion for years don't like this part.
I've got to calamity arc without any interruption and now that new content is released minimum once a month I'm realizing I don't remember or understand anything anymore. I'll reread it eventually, sure, but for now even reading this discussion makes me confused.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Wonder of U - Abilities:

- affect multiple people, regardless of distance, with "calamities" - supernaturally bad luck homing in on them -, as long as they pursue it
- act autonomously, but allow its user to assume direct control any time
- wear clothes

Reminder that one of Speed King's powers is having a driver's license.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lamebot posted:

I'm loving this arc but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop where Kaato reenters the plot to turn things even further sideways.

this has been me for a couple years now

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JoJolion is definitely gonna benefit from being able to read it all in one shot instead of waiting for it month-to-month. Cuz a single chapter per month is a tough format for a mystery with so many moving parts.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i don't think it will be much better in one shot because of all the characters that just disappear

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
every monthly chapter could easily be a weekly chapter because of how many panels there are of characters just staring at nothing with a vacant expression

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Aurora posted:

i don't think it will be much better in one shot because of all the characters that just disappear

The maid basically died and nobody told the reader. I'm still confused why she didn't have any part to play in discovering Josuke's identity after the first hospital visit.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Karera and Kaato basically hosed off to nowhere too and while they may come back to play a role it's really hard to have any confidence in that.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Ryaomon posted:

every monthly chapter could easily be a weekly chapter because of how many panels there are of characters just staring at nothing with a vacant expression

these are literally the best part of part 8 though

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the arts been really really good, it's definitely the prettiest and most well drawn jojo part.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I'm starting to strongly think every part that doesn't have a character called Dio in it directly (flashbacks don't count) is actually bad. Part 4 being the exception that proves the rule of course

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

part 2 is fun

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

If we split it into a binary of "If not Good, then Bad", we get:

Part 1: Introduces Dio, but commonly regarded as the weakest part. Judgement: Bad
Part 2: No Dio. The most well-regarded part in much of the Western fandom. Judgement: Good
Part 3: DIO is the main antagonist. Regarded as the weakest of the Stand-using parts. Judgement: Bad
Part 4: No Dio. The most well-regarded part in much of the Japanese fandom. Judgement: Good
Part 5: No Dio. Mixed to poor reception. Judgement: Bad
Part 6: DIO is a pivotal part of the plot but only appears in flashbacks. However these flashbacks are new content and not repeats of Part 3 stuff, so this part features DIO. Mixed to poor reception. Judgement: Bad
Part 7: Features Diego. Very highly regarded, perhaps held up as the best part. Judgement: Good
Part 8: No Dio. Meandering and a bit muddled. Judgement: Bad.

Bad Parts with No Dio: 2/4 (5 and 8)
Bad Parts with Dio: 3/4 (1, 3, and 6)

If we regard mixed reception and a dislike towards elements of a part as things that make it "bad", then you're more likely to see a Dio-featuring part being bad than a Dio-abstinent part being bad.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I thought thanks to the anime, Part 5 was considered cool and good now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GruntMountain posted:

If we split it into a binary of "If not Good, then Bad", we get:

Part 1: Introduces Dio, but commonly regarded as the weakest part. Judgement: Bad
Part 2: No Dio. The most well-regarded part in much of the Western fandom. Judgement: Good
Part 3: DIO is the main antagonist. Regarded as the weakest of the Stand-using parts. Judgement: Bad
Part 4: No Dio. The most well-regarded part in much of the Japanese fandom. Judgement: Good
Part 5: No Dio. Mixed to poor reception. Judgement: Bad
Part 6: DIO is a pivotal part of the plot but only appears in flashbacks. However these flashbacks are new content and not repeats of Part 3 stuff, so this part features DIO. Mixed to poor reception. Judgement: Bad
Part 7: Features Diego. Very highly regarded, perhaps held up as the best part. Judgement: Good
Part 8: No Dio. Meandering and a bit muddled. Judgement: Bad.

Bad Parts with No Dio: 2/4 (5 and 8)
Bad Parts with Dio: 3/4 (1, 3, and 6)

If we regard mixed reception and a dislike towards elements of a part as things that make it "bad", then you're more likely to see a Dio-featuring part being bad than a Dio-abstinent part being bad.

5 is more popular in Japan than 4.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

The Bee posted:

I haven't read the manga and caught up with Jojo when it was airing, but I liked most of it. Unfortunately I think it suffers from doing barely anything with its new cool characters (that doesn't include Giorno and Diavolo, because they aren't even cool), and just sorta ending in a sea of asspulls without any conclusion.
Some fights are brilliant, but others are a bit incomprehensible. That's fine because Jojo at its weird dumb bullshit is entertaining, but even then, I thought the whole final arc was just insane slow tedium.
It's kinda hard for me to judge earlier parts because I went into them with different expectations, but out of Parts 3-7, I think it's my least favorite.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Here’s a hot take: all JoJo parts are good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Part 5 was pretty good but imo Giorno only got as big a part as he did because it's Jojo and he's a Jojo, Bruno was clearly the protagonist of that one.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

GruntMountain posted:

part 6 flashbacks don't count and part 3 is good, actually

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Part 5 was pretty good but imo Giorno only got as big a part as he did because it's Jojo and he's a Jojo, Bruno was clearly the protagonist of that one.
Everybody talks about how Bruno got the cooler fights, but I feel like his conflict with Diavolo helps, too. It's true that Diavolo not caring about the human cost of obtaining his goal stands in contrast to Giorno appreciating the sacrifices other people make for him and his dream, but nothing about that conflict felt as immediate and gutting as Bruno attempting to comfort Trish about her new life with her father, only for said father to leave her dismembered hand in Bruno's grasp.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Bee posted:

I thought that up until the last six episodes and then I suddenly remembered why I hated Part 5.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Supersonic Shine posted:

Everybody talks about how Bruno got the cooler fights, but I feel like his conflict with Diavolo helps, too. It's true that Diavolo not caring about the human cost of obtaining his goal stands in contrast to Giorno appreciating the sacrifices other people make for him and his dream, but nothing about that conflict felt as immediate and gutting as Bruno attempting to comfort Trish about her new life with her father, only for said father to leave her dismembered hand in Bruno's grasp.

:haibrow: exactly. I think Giorno played an important thematic role, but plotwise the star was Bruno by far for the reasons you mentioned and more.

I think there's some really interesting stuff in Part 5 that, if it were focused on more, could've made it really shine. Like if they really emphasized the mafia-as-underworld theme, and how Giorno taking over was basically trading one devil for a less bad one, presumably (and if they wanted to really slap a bow on it, end Part 5 with a question mark on that assumption).

I still wish they'd made Fugo come back to betray the gang to the boss instead of introducing Cioccolata. That dude was cool and his creepy relationship with Secco was cool and everything, but I think the fight would've been tons better with way higher stakes if it'd been Fugo instead. They could handwave Buccaratti's gang being unaffected by the virus with a line alluding to bricksnake fuckery or something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The anime did help me appreciate it more, but ultimately I have the same feeling toward part 5 as I originally did, in that it's not very good. I was never that into the cast and while a lot of the fights are good, I just never got that invested in the actual plot.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Bruno being the one to make the call to turn on the Boss was deliberate and neccesary, making that moment about his life and his choices helps JoJo avoid feeling like Giorno was the one who did everything and tricked everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Part 5 is a great part that's immediately reduced to merely good because the loving horrifically anti-climatic ending. Like, it has so many incredible moments, the train fight, Doppio vs Risotto, the King Crimson reveal, even Silver Chariot Requiem, but then it's just "oh yeah and Giorno wins because reasons, the end".