Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Cameo posted:

*gets jolted, spits gum out*

It’s an entire movie in my head, I’m not gonna nail every word.

All good, you were definitely close enough for it to be declared "miller time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Its white claw time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I rewatched Answer the Call today and didn't hate it. I mean, I never hated it, but I tried really hard to separate it from the originals, which helped.

I still like the Mike Hat bit.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I rewatched Answer the Call today and didn't hate it. I mean, I never hated it, but I tried really hard to separate it from the originals, which helped.

it is totally a movie to be played on airplanes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

text me a vag pic posted:

it is totally a movie to be played on airplanes

Yes, absolutely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now I'm having flashbacks to having repatedly seen The Pacifier, Bride and Prejudice, and Big Momma's House 2. One of the main reasons besides the smell I don't catch Stateliner buses anymore.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
So the original was on TV the other night, as it often is. When I was a kid, the terror dogs were the scariest thing in the world. And I thought Xenomorphs were cool as hell. My parents had cable and weren't very attentive to what I was watching.

Anyways, those things scared the hell out of me. And to this day, I'm pushing 40 and the scene of the gargoyles starting to fall apart just fills me with dread, starting as cold in the pit of my stomach. It's amusing to me that the movie STILL has an effect on me, and I've seen it dozens of times.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I'm getting a 4k player soon and I can finally watch the movie in 4k, just like Dan Aykroyd intended.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You’re going to be disappointed, it’s incredibly grainy.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I'm going to be disappointed because they "fixed" the post color processing. But that is OK, I have the original 2000s-ish DVD release too.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

So the original was on TV the other night, as it often is. When I was a kid, the terror dogs were the scariest thing in the world. And I thought Xenomorphs were cool as hell. My parents had cable and weren't very attentive to what I was watching.

Anyways, those things scared the hell out of me. And to this day, I'm pushing 40 and the scene of the gargoyles starting to fall apart just fills me with dread, starting as cold in the pit of my stomach. It's amusing to me that the movie STILL has an effect on me, and I've seen it dozens of times.

Same. For whatever reason the dogs terrified me as a child beyond all concept of rational thought - they kind of took the place of the boogeyman in my childhood consciousness where I would associate any dark area or threatening situation with them. And now as an adult, I get that same feeling of nervousness when watching as you do, it's very odd but I think when something scares you at that very early stage it has such a large impact that you can't help remember how you felt as a child.

My fear of those dogs had a weirdly specific element though. The copy of Ghostbusters I had as a child was a VHS recorded off UK television and for whatever reason it was heavily cut down, not just for sex references and mild language, but also for things that were considered too frightening. Most close up shots of the dogs had been excised, and in specific the scene where Dana is abducted was quite cleverly cut to remove the hands. This made the scene play out as if Dana is sitting in her chair, and then the chair whips round, the door swings open, and the chair shoots through it. The scene kept all the wide shots but all the close ups of the hands coming out, and one close up of the dog roaring (a wide of the dog sitting up on its haunches as the door opens was still present) were all gone.

Still, the scene terrified me.

But like all things young Karloff began to get more comfortable with it, and eventually even began to enjoy the film, rather than want to run out the room. That was until I saw a retail VHS copy which of course had the full scene with hands, close-ups and everything and I had a tremendous back slide into being frightened again. It's hard to describe the feeling of it, but I had got so used to being able to stomach the version I had previously seen that suddenly seeing the same scene but with more frightening imagery felt like a weird form of betrayal by the film. Like I had uncovered something demonic within it that made itself meaner and nastier in response to me no longer being afraid of it. Or at least that's how it felt to seven year old me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The main issue with the Ghostbusters UHD is that there was a fairly recent standard blu ray that was mastered in 4k so while it was still 1080p, it was still a much better overall presentation than the previous release. The UHD gives you a bit more definition of course, and there are some scenes that get a nice boost from HDR, but it's not the night and day comparison that you get with a lot of other UHDs. And yea, it's an exceptionally grainy film, so that is even more pronounced in the UHD, which is a turn-off for some people.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

:frogout:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look, I expected to be able to read the labels on the packs at 4K, not try and make them out through a snowstorm. :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Look, I expected to be able to read the labels on the packs at 4K, not try and make them out through a snowstorm. :colbert:

You're definitely right, it's probably the grainiest UHD I've seen. I've gone back and forth on whether I prefer the UHD just because the HDR really does give the special effects some extra punch. But it's far from perfect.

Anyway I bought both Ghostbusters films on UHD in one set, and the purchase was worth it for Ghostbusters 2 alone, which looks fantastic on UHD.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

We're never getting the possessed car ride, Sherman Tully, or statue of liberty ending scenes, are we?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Karloff posted:

Same. For whatever reason the dogs terrified me as a child beyond all concept of rational thought - they kind of took the place of the boogeyman in my childhood consciousness where I would associate any dark area or threatening situation with them. And now as an adult, I get that same feeling of nervousness when watching as you do, it's very odd but I think when something scares you at that very early stage it has such a large impact that you can't help remember how you felt as a child.

My fear of those dogs had a weirdly specific element though. The copy of Ghostbusters I had as a child was a VHS recorded off UK television and for whatever reason it was heavily cut down, not just for sex references and mild language, but also for things that were considered too frightening. Most close up shots of the dogs had been excised, and in specific the scene where Dana is abducted was quite cleverly cut to remove the hands. This made the scene play out as if Dana is sitting in her chair, and then the chair whips round, the door swings open, and the chair shoots through it. The scene kept all the wide shots but all the close ups of the hands coming out, and one close up of the dog roaring (a wide of the dog sitting up on its haunches as the door opens was still present) were all gone.

Still, the scene terrified me.

But like all things young Karloff began to get more comfortable with it, and eventually even began to enjoy the film, rather than want to run out the room. That was until I saw a retail VHS copy which of course had the full scene with hands, close-ups and everything and I had a tremendous back slide into being frightened again. It's hard to describe the feeling of it, but I had got so used to being able to stomach the version I had previously seen that suddenly seeing the same scene but with more frightening imagery felt like a weird form of betrayal by the film. Like I had uncovered something demonic within it that made itself meaner and nastier in response to me no longer being afraid of it. Or at least that's how it felt to seven year old me.

Might be a bit of an Uncanny Valley thing, like how in old Doctor Who the Cybermen were considered by some to be scarier than the Daleks. Dogs are familiar and comforting things, seeing them go wrong may hit closer to home.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

“Some moron brought a cougar to a party and it went berserk” is low-key one of my favorite lines.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

“Some moron brought a cougar to a party and it went berserk” is low-key one of my favorite lines.

There was a recent online trivia game in one of the many FB GB groups, and one of the questions was "what three animals were the terror dogs mis-identified as?"

Cougar, as mentioned above.
Bear ("what'd he say? A bea'h in his apahtment! ")

and???

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I guess dogs technically.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, Louis does ask who brought the dog, and it is a Gozerian demon, technically...

edit: also the corner of Spook Central has some strong loving walls, that terror dog splinters the door into a thousand pieces like it was glass but just slams against the wall and falls right down like it’s made of brick.

Maybe other people should have copied Ivo Shandor’s construction choices, seems pretty sturdy, a gate to the beyond blows up and it only takes, like, the top four floors off.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 24, 2020

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Maybe other people should have copied Ivo Shandor’s construction choices, seems pretty sturdy, a gate to the beyond blows up and it only takes, like, the top four floors off.

dude, do you have any idea how much that building cost? Did you even think of the materials? WHAT ABOUT THE LABOR

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Marshmallow can't melt steel beams.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Marshmallow can't melt steel beams with cores of pure selenium

:science:

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Dawgstar posted:

The only thing that really gets me about GB II is clearly Winston is there in the courtroom but doesn't stick around when the Scoleri brothers show up. Sure, they might have only had three proton packs but you could have had all four as evidence so he could have helped out. Or maybe at least showing him getting everybody out of the courtroom.

According to the IDW Comics Ghostbusters Annual 2017, Winston was facing off against the Scolari brothers' mother https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Mama_Scoleri .

:ghost:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

no mom very hungry posted:

According to the IDW Comics Ghostbusters Annual 2017, Winston was facing off against the Scolari brothers' mother https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Mama_Scoleri .

:ghost:

Wow, the ghost of Ma Fratelli.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Occasionally I remember the Mike Hat bit and laugh hysterically. It is absolutely the best joke in the film. I like ATC a fair bit more than most, but the jokes don't land ery well. That one LANDS.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I guess they just don’t make them like they used to.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Julius CSAR posted:

I guess they just don’t make them like they used to.

No! No-one ever made them like this!

Violator
May 15, 2003

SolarFire2 posted:

When I was a kid, the terror dogs were the scariest thing in the world.

I loved Ghostbusters as a kid and my dad loved Halloween and was super inventive, so he built a 8 ft long 4 ft tall robotic terror dog that was controlled by remote control. It originally had green skin and then he redid the outer layer with fur. It could push itself up on its front legs, move it’s head around, and roar. On Halloween he would put a big dog bowl in front if it and pour the candy in it. Kids would have to get the candy out of the dog bowl if they were brave enough. Even though I watched (and helped) him build it, it still terrified me. He left me out in the garage with it once while he went to get something and I just knew it would tear itself off the platform it was built on and get me. It made the local news a few times and he was invited to display it at a haunted house a few years.

Edit: If I remember right, he would leave the tailgate down while he transported it freak out the people behind him. For some reason I think once he had a buddy riding with him operate it while he drove.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Violator posted:

I loved Ghostbusters as a kid and my dad loved Halloween and was super inventive, so he built a 8 ft long 4 ft tall robotic terror dog that was controlled by remote control.

You are hereby required to post some drat photos.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

You are hereby required to post some drat photos.

I've actually thought about making a little 15 minute documentary about it all because sometimes it hits me that not everyone's dads did stuff like this. I've collected some old photos (which there aren't enough of), some old VHS videos, etc. I need to see if I can find a way to get the old news reports about it.

Before you even got to the monster for the candy, you first had to walk past bushes where hydraulic corpse hands would pop out of the bushes to try to grab you and there were ghosts on motors floating around the perimeter of the roof around the house.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m an inadequate father

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In the face of this, all fathers are.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I’m an inadequate father

Holy poo poo, no kidding. gently caress, might as well call cps on me for now falling way too short of the new standard :negative:

Kidding aside, wow that's incredible.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Aw dang that's cool. I wish I could find the pics of my pop's foam Slimer costume from the early 90s.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

In the face of this, all fathers are.

Hell I'm feeling inadequate and I don't even have children

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Holy poo poo, that’s amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sony is soon officially releasing the Ghostbusters II score, after 30+ years.

I'm excited :toot: I know it's know Elmer Bernstein score, but I mean... it's never been actually released.

Can't wait!