Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Motronic posted:

I just want to mention that my family of 4 has probably replaced 3/4 of our body weight with zucchini and summer squash in the last several weeks. I planted one of each.

Yeah me too that's why they weren't on my list of "I wanna grow an assload" - that's something that my current efforts can satisfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

CommonShore posted:

Very cool and thanks for the info!

The main things that I know I want to plant are enough tomatoes, potatoes, onions, carrots, and garlic to become self-sufficient on all of those things, even through heavy use, and even to supply friends and/or sell surplus and/or donate to local food banks. I have experience growing all of those things and I just need more space than I have presently. I plan to grow large amounts of cabbage as well, or at least to attempt it. This year has been my first for cabbage, it seems to be doing well, and my region has historically had a lot of cabbage growers, though not anymore for some reason.

Then I want to aim for lesser seasonal amounts of stuff like greens, beans, zucchini, cucumbers, scallions, radishes, and okra. I'm growing (or at least attempting) lots of these already, and my current space just can't keep up with what I'm aiming for. I'm a hot pepper moron, though those are in containers this year and they'll move inside with me when we get the house. I might attempt some pulses, and I have a very particular winter squash project that I'll discuss in more detail if I actually get my hands on the specific seeds.

Then there are the perennial food crops. I want to plant a much expanded rhubarb patch and get into asparagus, too. I use staggering amounts of rhubarb for pies and jams (and give a lot of jams and pies away), and I want a large strawberry patch to go with it. We're going to put in raspberries and saskatoons, and then some fruit trees too.

I might not fill up 1/2 acre right away, but that's the portion of my new lot that I'm reserving for these kinds of projects.

You got this! I love your energy and goals, they feel very similar to my own. I'm super excited to see your progress in here. I have 2 rhubarb plants that are humungous and are too much for me and I use it a lot lol

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I think over planting squash is an obligatory rite of passage into knowing that holy poo poo that's an insane plant gardener knowledge. Especially if they're planted near anything else.
Pickling cucumbers will gently caress your day up as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Yeah me too that's why they weren't on my list of "I wanna grow an assload" - that's something that my current efforts can satisfy.

But hey....on that kinda land you can grow some serious pumpkins if we're sticking to this plant family.

Again, I get the excitement. Just the prepping the land will take time. I hope you also have the other side of this taken care of as well: preserving all of this. Unless you're doing grain crops what you're talking about on that amount of land in the way that you want do do it is a full time job for half a year or more. You'll undoubtedly turn different dials in directions that make this work for you. But all dials at 100% isn't gonna work unless you're retired and this is your new and nearly only hobby.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Goddamn squirrels ate like half of our ears of corn!! :argh: Just as they're becoming harvestable, too. I have rabbit fencing up around them, but obviously that's not going to stop the squirrels. Now I'm worried for my tomatoes in the neighboring bed.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CommonShore posted:

Update - preface I know that this is going to sound like a "my dad works at nintendo" kind of post but I swear it's true:

I just got confirmation that the new property's topsoil wasn't scraped because by weird coincidence my next door neighbour's dad was the subdivision's developer back in 1975. Her family owned the farmland and she maintains that they farmed there before the houses went up and continued to farm it while they were being built. Our street has her name. They developed that particular parcel because it was the most difficult for them to access because it's between a seasonal wetland (no flood risk - we just had a 300 year wet season, so we're confident of that) and a road. There is a church in the area, but she tells me that it was never glebeland or anything - I guess someone developed their lot to give that appearance and moved an old church onto it.

I was going to get more info from her but then she got a nosebleed and had to go lay down. (Also not lying about that).

I'll probably still get testing, but it seems that I can plan on the assumption that the soil is good.

manic mode: engage

That's great, but you should still get the soil tested for contamination. The previous owner may have performed backyard oil changes (or even dumped oil, or lead-containing paint) right where you want your garden.

Garden research and planning is awesome and fun, but gardening also takes patience. You've got a great piece of land. Take the time to get familiar with it. Watch where the light and the drainage goes as the seasons change. Plan to build your garden up over the space of years.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I had a passing thought: If any Canadian goons would like some cosmos seeds, I'm collecting a pile from our flower bed. I'd be happy to mail out some envelopes of seeds to whoever wants them in the fall. Send me a pm or email my user name @ google's email service. Sorry USA/other folks, but international mail / concerns about sending seeds across borders is a bit too much hassle for some flowers.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Help! I planted 8 tomatoes this year, and two of them appear to have curly top, or so I thought. The two are in the same raised bed, all other tomatoes are doing great, and the third tomato in the same planter is fine. The reason I’m wondering if it’s not curly top now is that one of the plants is producing new flowers and fruit, which I had read they wouldn’t do once they got the virus. Any thoughts? The first three pics are the two messed up plants, the last pic is the third tomato that’s doing fine. Thanks all!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I planted tomatoes in a spot where roundup was used liberally the year before and it looked like that. They grew through it eventually.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I planted tomatoes in a spot where roundup was used liberally the year before and it looked like that. They grew through it eventually.

That's really odd - I wouldn't think that could be the reason. Glyphosate breaks down in hours in the sun and in days/a couple weeks in soil.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Motronic posted:

That's really odd - I wouldn't think that could be the reason. Glyphosate breaks down in hours in the sun and in days/a couple weeks in soil.
I wonder if there's data for this in raised bed and other home garden environments. Breakdown of glyphosate in soil is through microbial metabolism, so I wonder if tests conducted with soil from commercial farmland or research plots designed to replicate commercial farmland are going to be representative of the behaviour in home garden soil. Like I wouldn't expect the mechanisms to be different or anything like that, I just mean in terms of breakdown times, rebound times for microbial populations, and that kind of thing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I don't know. I googled curly leaf and the pictures that came up that looked most like what I had said herbicide damage, which made sense to me since I used roundup to kill the bamboo that used to be there over the course of a year. It was definitely months since the last application, but it hadn't rained for months either.

I mean, I certainly didn't rigorously apply the scientific method to prove causation. It just seemed plausible.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My understanding was that herbicide drift can last up to 18 months

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My understanding was that herbicide drift can last up to 18 months

It can last a lot longer than that. But it depends entirely on the herbicide in question.

Glyphosate isn't one of those according to all available data.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Not that i want to take a turn at being a naysayer and I'm admittedly really tired... but wasn't there a big lawsuit this year involving shitloads of the glyphosate research being fraudulant?

In other news, I've had some quiet time to think about it today, and I think my target for year 1 will be roughly 20 beds, +potatoes, +strawberries +rhubarb. That seems managable to me.

Current fall/winter projects will include a) soil testing, b) bed preparation, and c) a gigantic haul of compost. And maybe tree planting if that's in the stars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Not that i want to take a turn at being a naysayer and I'm admittedly really tired... but wasn't there a big lawsuit this year involving shitloads of the glyphosate research being fraudulant?

If there is I'd love to see it. I'm a certified private applicator (i.e. state licensing - used to be a commercially certified applicator back in my landscaping days) and take what I'm doing seriously. If there really is something credible going on I'd expect to have seen that in the state pesticide applicator communications, but it's possible I missed it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Motronic posted:

If there is I'd love to see it. I'm a certified private applicator (i.e. state licensing - used to be a commercially certified applicator back in my landscaping days) and take what I'm doing seriously. If there really is something credible going on I'd expect to have seen that in the state pesticide applicator communications, but it's possible I missed it.

There's a bunch of information that came out as part of the Monsanto lawsuit over Roundup this last year. You'd have to dive into your resources from non-Monsanto sources to get good up to date and not uhhh... something'd information. But it was in relation to the PPE requirements necessary and the health risks or something. I don't know if there was any information about how long it lasts in soil, but if you're going to misrepresent part of the information, you become a less reliable resource for all the rest of it too.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I am constantly in awe at the sheer size of all your gardens and their productivity.

One of my neighbours has given in and patio-ed his garden after last year's drought caused part of it to sink when the local leylandii trees drank all the groundwater.

He's given me the builder's number. I'm very tempted, there's no way anything in my 20ft x 50ft patch of land will ever be able to compete with the mighty evergreen tree :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jhet posted:

But it was in relation to the PPE requirements necessary and the health risks or something.

That's been a known thing for a while. You don't mess with any of that poo poo when it's wet. No matter what "they" say.

Not minimizing this information or anything, but they are incentivized to call it "safe" with minimal PPE because it reduces the application costs.

I was concerned what you are describing was manufacturing contamination, which of course would be a manufacturer by manufacturer thing, and very reminiscent of the "agent orange" problems (which was largely not the pesticide mix itself, but incorrect creation of one of the three in it which led to it being contaminated with dioxins).

I'll see what I can dig up the next time I'm doing ag extension stuff or continuing ed.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Here's an interview with lead counsel about the case, as a starting point to learn more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw5H36B1tJE

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Motronic posted:

That's been a known thing for a while. You don't mess with any of that poo poo when it's wet. No matter what "they" say.

Not minimizing this information or anything, but they are incentivized to call it "safe" with minimal PPE because it reduces the application costs.

I was concerned what you are describing was manufacturing contamination, which of course would be a manufacturer by manufacturer thing, and very reminiscent of the "agent orange" problems (which was largely not the pesticide mix itself, but incorrect creation of one of the three in it which led to it being contaminated with dioxins).

I'll see what I can dig up the next time I'm doing ag extension stuff or continuing ed.

Yeah, no chemical mixing problems that I’m aware of there. Biocides are not something I know about and I know better than to bring them up to my chemical regulations expert because she very much wants nothing to do with that stuff.

The other issue that came up is with the labeling as it probably should have had more restrictive labels as the stuff is most certainly not safe (it’s purpose is to kill things so no surprise there). But I think you’re spot on with the labeling as safe issue. There’s another case somewhere out there about that that I know even less about. I don’t think this will change the PPE requirements, but it does impact transportation and a few other things that consumers won’t really care about.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Here's an interview with lead counsel about the case, as a starting point to learn more.

Interesting. So yeah, that all seems to be about getting cancer from coming into contact with the product wet. Which I know we've known for a very drat long time, no matter what the EPA or Monsanto had to say about it. At least enough to know better than the be messing with wet glyphosate.

Now I'm doing some cursory new searches from placed we can actually probably trust, like ag schools. And yeah, it looks like it can take a lot longer to break down in soil and can also be taken up in plants. Here's an easy fact sheet from an ag school that has some of that: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphogen.html#:~:text=Glyphosate%20binds%20tightly%20to%20soil,it%20binds%20tightly%20to%20soil.

And, in the end, even on that quick fact sheet they are talking about re-entry times. This is all about "don't freaking touch wet product". This goes for everything, not just this stuff. It's always a bad idea for one reason or another. In this case it's cancer. In another case it's gonna be neurotoxins, etc. This is why I glove up, glasses and P95 when dealing with any of this poo poo. If it's a larger spray application I'm likely to be in a P100.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lady Demelza posted:

I am constantly in awe at the sheer size of all your gardens and their productivity.

One of my neighbours has given in and patio-ed his garden after last year's drought caused part of it to sink when the local leylandii trees drank all the groundwater.

He's given me the builder's number. I'm very tempted, there's no way anything in my 20ft x 50ft patch of land will ever be able to compete with the mighty evergreen tree :(

Eh. Patioing over your garden creates water runoff problems for your city and destroys habitat for a wide range of birds, insects and other creatures.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
Yeah don't give up on your garden, there are some really creative designs using shade plants

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah all of that was what I was thinking about

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Flipperwaldt posted:

Weird, I could see that I guess. I don’t use herbicides at all in my yard, but maybe my neighbor? Plus the other tomato in the raised bed is fine, and it’s right in between the two weird ones.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sprue posted:

Yeah don't give up on your garden, there are some really creative designs using shade plants

Perpetual shade, drought and acid soil from the pine needles. You'd have thought they'd get the hint when I had a tree surgeon round to remove the branches overhanging into my garden, but apparently they're not the slightest bit embarrassed at other people having to pay to keep their trees under control.

The previous owner here infilled the sunken ground with rubble so there's potentially already a lot of hardcore there. I'd probably go for a small patio and gravel the rest to allow drainage, but I genuinely don't care if the surface run-off floods the tree-havers' gardens/houses. Tubs, planters and containers look like the best way forward. It's not my intention to have a complete barren concrete wasteland!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Pipistrelle posted:

Weird, I could see that I guess. I don’t use herbicides at all in my yard, but maybe my neighbor? Plus the other tomato in the raised bed is fine, and it’s right in between the two weird ones.
Oh no, it wouldn't make any sense with a healthy plant in the middle.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Runoff problems are more than just about flooding your neighbour, if their land can't absorb the extra water then it's going to keep running downhill until it can all filter underground or to a storm drain, so either way you're dealing with topsoil erosion and ground level nutrient / chemical transport, right? I'm still learning about water management but that's my take so far. And if the land right next to you suffered serious problems due to dry soil, wouldn't it make sense to try to avoid reducing the water load of your land too? Rather than giving it a big fat umbrella

Also I thought the pine needle acid thing was true but google is telling me that it's either overstated or even a myth: https://extension.unh.edu/blog/do-pine-trees-and-pine-needles-make-soil-more-acidic

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Motronic posted:

It can last a lot longer than that. But it depends entirely on the herbicide in question.

Glyphosate isn't one of those according to all available data.

Good to know! I thought my tomato leaf curl was from my hay purchase>large animal manure>compost, but I asked my hay guy and he said he doesnt use broadlead herbicide

So it was probably just wind damage haha

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

tore out three cucumber vines that got hit with bacterial wilt today, I'm concerned about the last few survivors, I'm sure their death is only a week or two away.

Is it too late for me to drop some fresh nursery starters in the ground and still get some fruit out of them? (zone 6a or 6b, not sure exactly which)

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Boring bugs got into my squash, zucchini, and pumpkins. This is like the 3rd year in a row we haven’t been able to harvest any. On a positive note, grapes ripened early so now I have 40lbs of mixed Concord/Niagara grapes to turn into wine and jelly. Still probably another 40lbs left on the vine that weren’t quite ripe yet.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just had my garden done up (i'll post pics when the patio's finished next week) and was wondering if there were any hard and fast rules about watering the brand new turf.

It was put in yesterday and i was told to 'give it a good soaking'. Being a numbers guy though, i prefer hard figures.

It's had completely new loam soil put in as well as proper drainage installed below this to take care of issues I previously had (crappy top soil, terribly rotovation and all on top of thick clay soil), so i'm not sure what the risk of overwatering might be (if that's even a thing at this stage).

Anyway. I had the sprinkler on it last night for about 3 hours and then it rained a little overnight. I went out to feel it now (about 24 hours later) and the grass was dry and I've started to notice slight bits of shrinkage on the turf as well as ever so slight yellowing of the edges. So I've just put the sprinkler back on for another hour as i'm pretty sure those are signs it needs some water.

Anyway, below is the weather forecast for my area for the next week. It's saying Monday's the only day with rain and temperatures are floating around the 15°C mark.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcvvdsybr#?date=2020-07-25

How frequently and for how long should i leave the sprinkler running with the above forecast? Or is that not an easy to quantify number and i should just look for the signs i mentioned above?

Also, how important it is to cover every inch of the grass physically with water?

My sprinkler is a circular one and doesn't quite reach right into the corners of the square area the grass has been planted. I can make adjustments to the radius of the sprinkler to cover it but wasn't sure if soaking the in-progress patio just now would be a good idea.

Essentially, I'm keen to make sure i look after the lawn properly and not neglect it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kin posted:

I've just had my garden done up (i'll post pics when the patio's finished next week) and was wondering if there were any hard and fast rules about watering the brand new turf.

So to translate this, it's your yard that you had done, and you had sod installed, correct?

Garden in the context of this thread is more like "vegetable garden".

There aren't any hard rules for watering new turf other than "a lot, but not too much". Many places will say to water 4 to 6 times a day for 10 minutes or so for the first couple of weeks others will say morning and early afternoon for 30 minutes, then water deeply daily for a week or two, then infrequent deep watering. This type of watering pattern basically takes you from "OMG, these are super damaged pieces of turf that are ready to die" to "promoting proper root growth" as roots only grow deep if they "need to" get to water.

And never in the evening if you can possibly avoid it. That's universal for everything. Leaving plants/lawn wet is a disease vector. You're best off watering first thing in the morning when the winds are low, the water has time to soak in before the heat of the day, and time to dry during that heat.

Also, make sure you aren't watering it too much in the beginning before you have the sod actually rooted. It shouldn't be pooled up under the sod if you lift one of the ends.

Honestly, if you want to be all calculated about this buy a probe moisture meter and make sure you have wet soil 3-4" deep. That's when you can stop watering.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 25, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sockser posted:

tore out three cucumber vines that got hit with bacterial wilt today, I'm concerned about the last few survivors, I'm sure their death is only a week or two away.

Is it too late for me to drop some fresh nursery starters in the ground and still get some fruit out of them? (zone 6a or 6b, not sure exactly which)

Yup, this continues to be an issue for me. Down to five plants out of ten, and I'm sure those "good" plants are secretly infected.

Hardiness zones don't tell you a whole lot since there's too much variation within them. Just take a look at your first frost date. There are cucumbers that will mature from seed in ~50-60 days, so there's a good chance that you're fine. I threw in some new cucumbers a week or two ago here in CT and I'm not particularly worried about them producing a nice crop. Last year I had cucumbers producing through October.

On the other hand, it's going to be almost 100 degrees here on Monday so RIP my whole garden probably.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's been hovering around 100 here for the past week everything seems to be doing fine.

Some of the broccoli and radishes started flowering so I am just letting them do their thing free seed!

Some of the romaine planted from grocery store romaine butts started flowering too but we've gotten 3-4 months of cut and come again off of them so they did pretty good considering they were what most people consider trash to begin with.
Planted another line of lettuces to grow again to carry us through fall.

My sickly tomatoes from early on pulled through after I went bonzai on them.
I've got all this volunteer butter nut squash growing maybe squirrles planted it for me? There are 3 plants in different parts of the garden I didn't plant lots of flowers and baby gourds coming in so they get to stay. Threw one on the grill the other day while grilling some steaks and it was really nice.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I have voles in my yard that are little assholes that delight in biting all of the stems off of plants. I have to anxiously run my hands over everything to see if half of the plant is detached because they don't even eat it, they just leave it there.

I applied some castor oil based repellent to the gardens and put in some sonic stakes. I'm not convinced that either is working; while I haven't had any plants get ravaged since, I have seen voles lurking near the gardens. Anyone had any success getting them to gently caress off? There's a bunch of woods bordering my property so trying to trap them all seems likely to be futile.

Also, while I'm asking, anyone had any particular success with any of the many squirrel repellents? They like to try and dig poo poo up right after I plant it (though at least they leave it alone afterwards) and I'd like to plant some bulbs in the fall.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 26, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We need a new thread title

Gardening: Grass is the enemy

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I dunno I like the newest one.

Hoping to get some glass corn this year! Trying a little tighter spacing than normal haha

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I dunno I like the newest one.

Hoping to get some glass corn this year! Trying a little tighter spacing than normal haha

That looks like a pretty sweet setup, and some very interesting... okra between your corn and tomatoes.

I've given up and pulled my cucumbers. They were all getting hammered by borers. I may try again in another part of the garden; they did well in raised beds last year. I'm considering pulling my tomatoes, too. I didn't really prune effectively and while they seem to be growing vigorously, they aren't producing fruit any longer (just a few flowers now and then) and I could use the space. I still have issues pulling plants that are "healthy," but I need to steel myself and put that corner of the garden back into use.

Right now my okra is really taking off and the shiso/perilla I planted last year re-seeded itself and is taking over parts of my garden even though I'm pulling it pretty regularly. I have two sorts of beans; one is a variety of blackeye "pea" that survived an aphid infestation after ladybugs showed up en masse. They're doing well, though I should expand my trellis system to let them grow up and away from other plants they're starting to shade.

The other is a weird edamame/fava that produces a ton of pods in clusters that need to be shelled after they're removed from the pods. They self-seed every year, and grow so well that I don't really mind the labor. I must have planted them three or four years ago, but I have no memory of what they are.