Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

PawParole posted:

happy jersey day!

why are you thankful for new jersey

no danny devito, bruce springsteen, jon bon jovi, james gandolfini, susan sarandon or meryl streep so 2/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm thankful I'm not in nj.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

You could get through New Jersey in the early morning from richmond va with just one stop for gas right on time to piss out the 40 you drank on the midnight china town bus in the early 2000s. All for under ten bucks.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm also thankful that my buddy and I piss off everyone by calling sprinkles jimmies so I guess that's one good thing

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm thankful i'm not in brooklyn, all the worst people in jersey seem to end up there

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

literally

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

cenotaph posted:

Someone in the protests thread called people bringing up Evans' intelligence connections tankies and I nearly spontaneously combusted.

re people using the word "tankies", i've learned i can safely disregard whatever else they might have to say. it's baby's first word poo poo, they are new to this here game and must be taunted and bullied until they fall in line.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

re people using the word "tankies", i've learned i can safely disregard whatever else they might have to say. it's baby's first word poo poo, they are new to this here game and must be taunted and bullied until they fall in line.

Agreed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gh0stpinballa posted:

this

also cryptofash and strasserism

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Jul 28, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Robert Evans AKA Bob Evans

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah village inn is way better. hell id rather go to dennys

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

THS posted:

wrong thread but they might close a local village inn and replace it with in-and-out

i want my greasy breakfast heap after nightshifts
:smith:

Goast has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Jul 28, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PawParole posted:

happy jersey day!

why are you thankful for new jersey

morose.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

THS posted:

tbh its hard to top Waffle House when it comes to chain breakfast places

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's kinda funny how fast CTH went from capturing the moment with Sanders on the campaign trail to talking down BLM and agreeing with Taibbi on cancel culture

for a group critical about the insularity of the media sphere, they seem to have fallen into their own hole

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Xaris posted:

this

red-brown alliance

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

cenotaph posted:

red-brown alliance

that’s what you call a bloody bowel movement.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AnEdgelord posted:

Robert Evans AKA Bob Evans

bob evans sausage gravy dispenser but it's the bob evans cia propaganda dispenser

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Xaris posted:

this

assadist, red brown alliance, add those to the list as well

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
look at all these tankie strasserite assadist crypto fash grifters pointing out my public longstanding ties with federal law enforcement agencies

they're so crazy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gh0stpinballa posted:

assadist, red brown alliance, add those to the list as well

tbf i cant say ive heard assadist at all. that doesn't even make sense. what does it even mean

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Jul 28, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Goast posted:

look at all these tankie strasserite assadist crypto fash grifters pointing out my public longstanding ties with federal law enforcement agencies

they're so crazy

and if you say it loud enough, it won't sound precocious

tankie strasserite assadist crypto fash grifter pointing out my public

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gh0stpinballa posted:

The even more common one is whataboutism

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Troy Queef posted:

and i'm gonna be honest, while I dislike Tracey and his politics a lot of the "shut up you fat nerd incel" stuff coming from lefty Twitter people towards him sounds quite a bit like people who weren't able to bully the weird kid with a roller backpack who was on the autism spectrum back in high school, but now the tables have turned, Tracey essentially IS a grown-up version of that kid right down to saying he is a high-functioning autistic, and they're finally getting to act like the popular kids at Edina High (or insert your metro's affluent public high school in a liberal suburb, because there's one in every city) they so desperately wanted to be.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1287860325086195712?s=20

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

shrike82 posted:

it's kinda funny how fast CTH went from capturing the moment with Sanders on the campaign trail to talking down BLM and agreeing with Taibbi on cancel culture

for a group critical about the insularity of the media sphere, they seem to have fallen into their own hole

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

They had a lovely ep where they were too nice and didn't know how to push back against a guest they personally like, and Amber was confirmed for the umpteenth time to be as bad as we always knew she was on race. That ep was a dumpster fire but I think it's a mistake ascribing too much meaning to it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

The even more common one is whataboutism

Whataboutism owns tbh

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Deified Data posted:

They had a lovely ep where they were too nice and didn't know how to push back against a guest they personally like, and Amber was confirmed for the umpteenth time to be as bad as we always knew she was on race. That ep was a dumpster fire but I think it's a mistake ascribing too much meaning to it.

There was also the time they were clutching their pearls at statues being torn down

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

shrike82 posted:

The episode about the lady who snorts dried cum owned though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whataboutism owns tbh
No I mean anyone trying to call it out is a baby brained dupe

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

No I mean anyone trying to call it out is a baby brained dupe

that's why it owns

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hey Thomas Frank on Radio War Nerd

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

new cth is funny and reasonably insightful imo, i enjoyed the juxtaposition between the bizarre ridiculousness of the modern right with its absolute murderous menace, which is something i've thought about wrt behring breivik but never thought about as a general property of these people

Zook
Oct 3, 2014
chapos take on statue protests and cancel culture is rather you are for it or against it it doesn't actually change anything and whether it's organic or not, which it probably isn't wholly, it serves as a useful diversion from action that could pose a threat to the state or capital

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

What does he gently caress up?

One of the big things he misses is why the Japanese attacked Midway in the first place. He chalks it up to a vague "victory disease" where supposedly the Japanese couldn't make up their minds as to where to go, and just decided to expand their defensive perimeter some, but the real reason is that they didn't have enough troops to go anywhere else. They have god-knows how many divisions tied up in China and the Manchurian border, so they can't go to India anymore, and the Aleutians are too far and insignificant to really matter, and they tried for Australia but they were stopped at the Coral Sea, so Midway it is, because it's the only other invasion spot available that isn't going to require a lot of troops to secure.

Coral Sea, for that matter, should have been described as a strategic error from the get-go, because the Japanese only decided to send two of their six carriers to do it.

___

He described the Midway operation as being somewhat slapdash, but Shattered Sword makes the stronger condemnation that the plan was pretty much entirely incoherent: Yamamoto tries to set it up such that he's going to dangle the Kido Butai out as bait to lure the American carriers into a fight, but also wants to actually take and invade Midway anyway. He wants to attack the island to make it a fait acompli that the USN will have to fight him, but then sets up operations in the Aleutians to try and distract them anyway. He wants to present the KB as a force that's acting independently so that the Americans will fight it without feeling like they're hopelessly outgunned (which itself is contradictory with the idea that Midway is so critical that they'd have to defend it regardless), but he also wants to have the rest of the Japanese fleet close enough to provide support once the battle is joined... but the supporting forces are the big-gun battleships, that wouldn't be able to help even if they tried!

So Yamamoto does set-up this very intricate battle-plan that stretches across half the northern Pacific, and the plan isn't bad because it was insufficiently complex or insufficiently planned, it's bad because it doesn't really know what it wants to do.

___

Carlin mentions in his cryptography aside that the problem with breaking codes is that sometimes you don't know if the enemy knows your code is broken and is just feeding you bad information, or that even if you break their code into plaintext, they can still use oblique references to things that can obscure their meaning, but he doesn't cover the ploy to confirm that the Japanese were targeting Midway: they knew that the Japanese were targeting a place they called "AF", but they didn't know exactly what this was. One of the USN cryptographers had the idea for Midway to make an unencrypted report that their water desalination system had exploded and they only had a two-week supply of fresh water left. Almost immediately afterwards, the Japanese sent out a message that the invasion fleet needed to bring water desalination equipment, and that's how they knew that Midway was "AF".

___

The inflexibility of Japanese doctrine is also a thing that he could've gone into more detail about - at the conclusion of the Battle of the Coral Sea, the Japanese had one fleet carrier, Shokaku, badly damaged, and the other carrier, Zuikaku, with a depleted air group. The IJN decided to keep both carriers berthed, until the former was repaired and the latter had replacement planes and pilots available. What they could have done was to combine the remaining planes and pilots of the Shokaku and the Zuikaku together, and then send off the Zuikaku with the rest of the KB into Midway, to give themselves five operational fleet carriers, instead of four. That they didn't do this is a testament to how rigid their thinking was, and how that hurt them.

Carlin even touches on this a little with Japanese scouting practices: when the scout plane from the cruiser Tone was late in launching, the proper response would have been to take a plane from somewhere else to fill in the gap immediately rather than wait for the late plane to finally launch a half-hour later, but again, they didn't do this, because they were too locked-in to their own processes. It's maybe not a huge thing, but since Carlin puts so much emphasis on the Japanese "warrior culture", it's a notable omission because it's precisely a good example of how certain attitudes were detrimental to the Japanese war effort.

The juxtaposition to this, would have been American doctrinal inexperience. Carlin tries to play off Admiral Spruance's drib-drab attacks on the Kido Butai as a deliberate decision born of the impulse to launch attacks as soon as something was spotted, when it was really more because up to that point, the USN would treat individual carriers as independent units, rather than wielding them, as the Japanese did, as a combined force.

Further on the subject of doctrine, Shattered Sword emphasizes the point that even if the Japanese had somehow driven off or sunk all of the American carriers at Midway, the actual invasion itself was likely not going to go well, because the Japanese had no developed system for coordinating amphibious assault troops, with naval gunfire support, with air support, and they were going to have to invade an atoll where their troops would have to cross a couple hundred meters of shallow surf, on foot, under sustained fire from emplaced American machine guns and tanks.

___

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, one of the central theses of Shattered Sword was that Midway by definition could not have been a "decisive" battle, if we also subscribe to the idea that America had such a strong (and unreachable) industrial and resource base that they would have outproduced Japan (and Germany) eventually. The war was "decided", in effect, as soon as it had begun, and especially since the Pearl Harbor raid, rather than getting the Americans to cower, instead got them ready and willing to aggressively prosecute a war.

Midway was a pivotal moment in the war, but it's sort of like the Battle of the Teutoberg Forest in that we simply note the latter as the beginning of the fall of Rome just because that was the battle that the Romans had happened to have lost, but even if they won that, then whatever next other battle they lost would have been the new Teutoberg Forest, but the material conditions that undergird the loss would have been there regardless.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zook posted:

chapos take on statue protests and cancel culture is rather you are for it or against it it doesn't actually change anything and whether it's organic or not, which it probably isn't wholly, it serves as a useful diversion from action that could pose a threat to the state or capital

i havent listened to much in the last couple of weeks but from watching matt streams and previous episodes this was my general understanding in that it's just a busybox diversion so capital can cackle, evict, and drain people further while having neat little reaganosphere culture war play out in the background much to the delight of pundits, gops, and schumer/pelosis because it means they can relax comfortably over fun little culture war nitpicks that pose no threat to the system

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

you mean the Battle of Hadrianopolis. Rome was a thousand years from falling at Teutonburg.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

There was also the time they were clutching their pearls at statues being torn down

I saw people posting this and I thought that was a weird take from them until I listened to the episode and was like oh, as usual that's not even slightly what they said

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zook posted:

Sure, but it doesn't help their case that their reaction to both is to get huffy about a Grant satute being torn down while devoting a whole episode trying to validate the Harper letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
yankies