Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lanfear kind of actively cast aside her name to use the one we know the most, so she was probably a bit of a special case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Johnny Joestar posted:

lanfear kind of actively cast aside her name to use the one we know the most, so she was probably a bit of a special case

She did want a third name - casting aside the others and choosing her own was a reaction to that.

If the DO hadn't been Satan, she probably would have gotten one, so maybe you could consider Lanfear an honorary third name.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

A cool thing I noticed on this read relating to an earlier tossed off thing and the big final moment from TGS:

Moiraine talks about her experiences in Rhuidean in TFoH and notes that one thing that won't work to control or direct Rand is sleeping with him. At the end of TGS, it's the love he shares with the three that allows him to really become the Dragon. If Moiraine had started sleeping with him, it's pretty unlikely that they'd have been in love or that Rand would've gotten on with the other three. I'd bet good money that was Jordan's plan for a while.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Prairie Bus posted:

A cool thing I noticed on this read relating to an earlier tossed off thing and the big final moment from TGS:

Moiraine talks about her experiences in Rhuidean in TFoH and notes that one thing that won't work to control or direct Rand is sleeping with him. At the end of TGS, it's the love he shares with the three that allows him to really become the Dragon. If Moiraine had started sleeping with him, it's pretty unlikely that they'd have been in love or that Rand would've gotten on with the other three. I'd bet good money that was Jordan's plan for a while.

I don't think that RJ would have wrote Moiraine sleeping with Rand. that would be strange considering Siuan and Moiraine, as well as possibly Thom and Moiraine? were lovers at the time. rather, I think that was probably just a comment about how much power the love triangle would have over him.

if he did, it'd be a "drop the book forever" kind of dealbreaker.

related, it really sucks on reread that while Jordan has lesbian relationships in his books, it seems to still be written as bored teenagers experimenting, rather then as bi or lesbian. I wish he did more to explore Siuan and Moiraine's relationship.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I just reread the shadow rising--one thing that wasn't really clear is how Elaida managed to convince the sitters to depose. Does this come up later? The wiki page for tsr says something like "min going to the tower inadvertently set off a chain of events leading to a tower split. " is this explained more later?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

I just reread the shadow rising--one thing that wasn't really clear is how Elaida managed to convince the sitters to depose. Does this come up later? The wiki page for tsr says something like "min going to the tower inadvertently set off a chain of events leading to a tower split. " is this explained more later?

The mere fact that the Amyrlin is working in secret to prop up The Dragon Reborn is alarming enough, basically. Its like an impeachment trial, she doesn't have to have actually broken any law of the Tower.

Also recall that Elaida, inadvertently, went to Alviarin for assistance, which probably tipped the scales when Alviarin was able to forewarn her uh political bloc to play everything to their advantage.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I always felt it was at least implied, but Masema was definitely being influenced by one of the Forsaken, right?

I thought he had been driven insane by his time guarding Paden Faine in Fal Dara

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some of it was politics. The Red sitters probably didn't need much convincing to pull down an Amyrlin from the Blue Ajah, and install one from their own instead. Alviarin brought about the support of her fellow White sitters. Talene from the Green voted with Elaida because she was secretly from the Black Ajah of course. That's already 7 of the 21 votes, or 18 if the Blue were not allowed to vote.

Min's presence made Elaida extra distrustful of all that Siuan claimed, and she uncovered evidence that the Amyrlin knew for a long time about Rand's rebirth. And she obviously has not that much control over the Dragon Reborn at that time. So Elaida likely convinced enough of the other sitters that Siuan was unfit for office. We know from internal monologue that Searin voted for Elaida, and probably the other Black Ajah hunters as well. The sitters sent by the Ajah heads to Salidar to hasten reunification probably voted against Elaida, except probably the White sitter? Since we know from the prologue of Fires of Heaven that Alviarin brought unanimous support from the White. I'll dig down deeper into this later, but I have to got to work now.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought he had been driven insane by his time guarding Paden Faine in Fal Dara

I don't think he was guarding Fain. It was two other guys who's behavior Egwene mentions changing, iirc they get chopped up and used to decorate the walls when Fain is rescued

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

As bloom mentioned, those were two other guys. Masema is notable in Fal Dara and on the hunt for the horn for being a constant dick to Rand because he had bad memories of fighting Aiel. I think he was a bit broken and an extremist in his views already, and who knows what he saw when they traveled via portal stone. Then, at the end of that journey, the object of his disdain turns out to be the dragon reborn and fights what appears to be the dark one in the sky over Toman Head. And in the beginning chapters of of TDR Masema is already talking like a cult leader.

He is definitely influenced by a female forsaken later one appears to him as The Lord Dragon and tells him to kill Perrin during the whole get-Faile-back-from-the-Shaido sequence and he is also working with known darkfriends Suroth during that time, but I think he comes to power as the prophet all on his own.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Torrannor posted:

Some of it was politics. The Red sitters probably didn't need much convincing to pull down an Amyrlin from the Blue Ajah, and install one from their own instead. Alviarin brought about the support of her fellow White sitters. Talene from the Green voted with Elaida because she was secretly from the Black Ajah of course. That's already 7 of the 21 votes, or 18 if the Blue were not allowed to vote.

Min's presence made Elaida extra distrustful of all that Siuan claimed, and she uncovered evidence that the Amyrlin knew for a long time about Rand's rebirth. And she obviously has not that much control over the Dragon Reborn at that time. So Elaida likely convinced enough of the other sitters that Siuan was unfit for office. We know from internal monologue that Searin voted for Elaida, and probably the other Black Ajah hunters as well. The sitters sent by the Ajah heads to Salidar to hasten reunification probably voted against Elaida, except probably the White sitter? Since we know from the prologue of Fires of Heaven that Alviarin brought unanimous support from the White. I'll dig down deeper into this later, but I have to got to work now.

I thought the sitters had already voted that rand was the dragon reborn and needed white tower guidance, so the whole taim accusation seemed very strange.

The other thing my reread reminded me of is that the shadow rising is the best drat book.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

related, it really sucks on reread that while Jordan has lesbian relationships in his books, it seems to still be written as bored teenagers experimenting, rather then as bi or lesbian. I wish he did more to explore Siuan and Moiraine's relationship.

That may have been the case with Siuan and Moiraine's relationship, but both he and Sanderson show that there are both gay and lesbian relationships in the world, they just aren't seen as marriages.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

I thought the sitters had already voted that rand was the dragon reborn and needed white tower guidance, so the whole taim accusation seemed very strange.
The Sitters had just voted on that, and then Elaida went and revealed that Suian had carefully manipulated their knowledge of events so as to secure that vote, which pissed off enough sisters that, with Black Ajah help, they could establish a quorum against Suian. Suian was lying to the tower (by omission) for decades about the single most dangerous human being on the planet, so she was inherently untrustworthy had to go.

They weren't wrong: Suian was a power-mad, lovely Amyrlin. Elaida just turned out to be worse.

UltraRed posted:

That may have been the case with Siuan and Moiraine's relationship, but both he and Sanderson show that there are both gay and lesbian relationships in the world, they just aren't seen as marriages.
It's hard to tell, in retrospect, which Randland beliefs are parochial because it's supposed to be the fantastical past, and which Randland beliefs are parochial because it was written by a man born in the 1940's.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Hold on now, I've read the early books with Moiraine stuff so many times and I myself am as gay as the day is long. Where did they insinuate they had anything other than a friendship?

Like what, I can't believe I missed that unless it's just a fan theory.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At some point she mentions they were pillow friends.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Hold on now, I've read the early books with Moiraine stuff so many times and I myself am as gay as the day is long. Where did they insinuate they had anything other than a friendship?

Like what, I can't believe I missed that unless it's just a fan theory.

It comes up mostly in New Spring which launches into a whole explanation of 'Pillow Friends' who are basically Novices/Accepted who start having relationships on the down low. Moiraine and Siuan also sleep together a lot in the book with slight ambiguity over how sexual it is. They're totally dating though and mostly seem to stop when they have to create public distance as Siuan runs for Amyrlin and Moiraine starts the search for Rand. Elaida also throws it in as evidence when Siuan is deposed.

Elaida is also called out as having a pillow friend who she had a really messy breakup with.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 27, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Zore posted:

Elaida is also called out as having a pillow friend who she had a really messy breakup with.

Was this the same one that was assigned to re-seduce Elaida as a spy later?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gnoman posted:

Was this the same one that was assigned to re-seduce Elaida as a spy later?

Yep

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Which is funny since it seemed like a lot of Aes Sedai had “pillow friends” so nobody would bat an eye.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There's a minor plot point where some Aes Sedai are blackmailing a married Sea Folk woman who wound up in bed with an Aes Sedai. They don't understand why she's so determined to keep it secret, to the point where she was suspected of murder and being a Darkfriend for awhile because she wouldn't talk about where she was, but they're willng to use it against her.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Gnoman posted:

There's a minor plot point where some Aes Sedai are blackmailing a married Sea Folk woman who wound up in bed with an Aes Sedai. They don't understand why she's so determined to keep it secret, to the point where she was suspected of murder and being a Darkfriend for awhile because she wouldn't talk about where she was, but they're willng to use it against her.

In that case it wasn’t the sexual preference, but the fact that she cheated and broke an oath to her husband.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i kinda wish the series handled lgbtq stuff better than weird hush-hush poo poo but i feel like it already has some bigger issues it needs to work out first, lmao

or would have. kind of a moot point now, anyways.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Prairie Bus posted:

In that case it wasn’t the sexual preference, but the fact that she cheated and broke an oath to her husband.

Yes, that's why she was so ashamed. It still shows that the AS consider pillow-friends to be no big deal even without the "cloistered young women" aspect of novices.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gnoman posted:

Yes, that's why she was so ashamed. It still shows that the AS consider pillow-friends to be no big deal even without the "cloistered young women" aspect of novices.

it seems like Jordan was going for the Aes Sedai having like the classical opinion on same sex relationships: that while they're something young people do, they aren't something that they are in terms of defining your identity as we think of it today, so long as they put them aside when they enter adulthood and behave as expected of them.

you can have a pillow friend and it doesn't make you gay, but if you keep up those relationships after you become a full aes sedai, it's obviously looked down on.

at least, that's my memory of it, it's disfavored but not like, a thing that gets you arrested or anything -- you might lose some informal political power though. which was pretty progressive considering when jordan was born, who he was, and when these books were first written

gay men basically don't exist though lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 27, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unless the whole saidin thing was a really oblique metaphor the whole time

Rivulet through a midden indeed

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Data Graham posted:

Unless the whole saidin thing was a really oblique metaphor the whole time

Rivulet through a midden indeed

:aaaaa:

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
In retrospect they do spend an awful lot of time talking about "the taint."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That’s true, men are only useful after they cleanse their taint

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Seize saidin (the penis)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Forsaken have at least 3 dudes that can't get Rand out of their mind.

e: like a republican being obsessed with AOC

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

To be fair to Ishamael, eventually it was literal.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Shageletic posted:

Are you telling me Ben Shapiro is a forsaken?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

RC Cola posted:

more of a Jr masema

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RC Cola posted:

a forsaken who got compressed under piles of rock

the joke is he's short.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

a forsaken who got compressed under piles of rock

the joke is he's short.

That would be sammael.

Called out in the books, even.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

silvergoose posted:

That would be sammael.

Called out in the books, even.

lol yeah that's right. went to the dark side because he was a manlet.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Fairly incompetent Nazi nerdlinger, checks out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

lol yeah that's right. went to the dark side because he was a manlet.

Yeah the very direct "and when he realized the Power couldn't make him taller, he started resenting Lews Therin" or whatever it was.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Yeah the very direct "and when he realized the Power couldn't make him taller, he started resenting Lews Therin" or whatever it was.

I thought it was more he was second best at everything up to and including being like an inch shorter than Lews Therin. And he was bitterly jealous that he just wasn't good enough in any single area to outshine him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zore posted:

I thought it was more he was second best at everything up to and including being like an inch shorter than Lews Therin. And he was bitterly jealous that he just wasn't good enough in any single area to outshine him

Probably, but I distinctly remember something about "and the Power wasn't enough to get him taller".