Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

To be fair to him, Giorno winning because of a load of confidently stated nonsensical bullshit is pretty much his thing. Why expect a statisfying conclusion after an entire arc of 'actually because of animals I win now, bye'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

re: recent events in part 8, tooru listening to his own stand's song breaks my brain more than anything else in this part so far

like, who does that

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Crusader posted:

re: recent events in part 8, tooru listening to his own stand's song breaks my brain more than anything else in this part so far

like, who does that

He's just cementing his villain credentials by doing something despicable. It's classic JoJo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CodfishCartographer posted:

Don't Rock humans have super long lifespans, or did my brain just invent that?

I think they live as long as humans do if you dont count all thier periods of stasis hibernation

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't believe poor tom is 89 years old!?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

To be fair to him, Giorno winning because of a load of confidently stated nonsensical bullshit is pretty much his thing. Why expect a statisfying conclusion after an entire arc of 'actually because of animals I win now, bye'?

I disagree and feel that Giorno's wins follow along with his given powers pretty well and I believe that if you look at what he can do and how his powers are defined, you'll find that there isn't as much to the "Giorno's powers are nonsensical and bullshit" argument as you initially thought.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Kind of but the sheer blinding brilliance of brick snake overshadows the many reasonable and useful applications of his stand (e.g the car frogs)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Giorno's powers of animation are comparable to Dio's own and I do not think that is on accident given how much Giorno specifically pulls from having 3 parents and inheriting so much from both Dio and Jonathan.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pretty much every one of Giorno's fights just end with him revealing an animal did a thing, because its such an open ended power he doesn't ever do anything actually genuinely clever, it's all just 'a snake is a vaccine now', 'a piranha is a chestburster now', 'a different snake is a homing missle now', it's just nonsense.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

In a series where characters use quick thinking and strategy to win fights where even the strongest Stand can be overpowered by a clever rat, a fight ending because the main character gets a power literally no one can beat is pretty boring. Doesn't matter how many times the characters hammered in the point of "Whoever gets the Arrow wins!" it's still out of place and kind of lame.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

Pretty much every one of Giorno's fights just end with him revealing an animal did a thing

No they don't.

They do, however, largely end in Giorno having to deal with some kind of self-sacrifice, calling on his roots as the son of Jonathan Joestar. For those that he didn't make some kind of self-sacrifice to end, he made sacrifices along the way knowing well that he may very well end up crippling or killing himself in the process.

And even for the fights that do end with animal antics, reducing it down to "an animal did a thing" is overly reductive and is more or less a bad faith argument because it reduces all of his actions down to saying he used his power to do a thing. You can apply that same logic to everything in jojo, be it "a stand did a thing" or "joseph played a trick" or "josuke fixed a thing" or "jotaro punched a thing" and so on and so forth.

e:

TheLoneStar posted:

In a series where characters use quick thinking and strategy to win fights where even the strongest Stand can be overpowered by a clever rat, a fight ending because the main character gets a power literally no one can beat is pretty boring. Doesn't matter how many times the characters hammered in the point of "Whoever gets the Arrow wins!" it's still out of place and kind of lame.

This is a legit gripe though since while the ability that manifests from the arrow is the win button of the fight, it suffers from the fact that the fight itself is over getting the arrow so once Giorno gets it, we know he has won but the fight is continuing and while what happens to Diavolo is just absolutely horrifying and interesting, I totally feel why someone would go through that section expecting there to be more of a fight once Giorno gets the arrow and uses it instead of the arrow being the win condition all on its own. In a way, it's almost too appropriate that Giorno's requiem just ends the fight and cuts straight to the consequences and just ignores any potential adventure to reach that ending.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 28, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

multijoe posted:

Yeah, some of those are a bit out there, but those moments also don't last for entire arcs. Jojo can be stupid, but it's either for comical effect, or just to be cool, the latter of which it usually explains fairly alright. Everything that happens from the moment we start smelling souls, up until Rolling Stones is just dumb. The series where battles are often won through logic and 4D chess not only pulls so much out of its rear end that it becomes impossible to follow, but also doesn't explain the only thing it needed to. How hard would it be to rewrite the "chase" so that the conclusion of "It's a shadow that gives each of us a light therefore its actual placement is unknown" (I may be forgetting some specifics) would come gradually and had explanation? Instead we have a boring villain who screams about a soul and punches an invisible lightbulb. Everything feels like Araki actually wrote himself into a corner.
The moments where Mista tries to adjust Trish's underwear and the like don't help.
And then we cut to a much better story of all these characters finally spending some time together, which was a breath of fresh air. But enough of that, credits roll.

I know many people consider Part 6 to be weaker, and I honestly can't understand why. I don't think anything before or since has been this bad. A few sub-par battles, sure, but not entire climactic arcs where poo poo just happens all around for no reason.

Speaking of, can't wait for Part 6 aka best part to be animated :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

No they don't.

They do, however, largely end in Giorno having to deal with some kind of self-sacrifice, calling on his roots as the son of Jonathan Joestar. For those that he didn't make some kind of self-sacrifice to end, he made sacrifices along the way knowing well that he may very well end up crippling or killing himself in the process.

And even for the fights that do end with animal antics, reducing it down to "an animal did a thing" is overly reductive and is more or less a bad faith argument because it reduces all of his actions down to saying he used his power to do a thing. You can apply that same logic to everything in jojo, be it "a stand did a thing" or "joseph played a trick" or "josuke fixed a thing" or "jotaro punched a thing" and so on and so forth.

The animal did a thing endings suck because they don't have any rules or limitations and almost always feel like asspulls. Like Bruno launching himself and Proscuttio out of the train is a really clever and logical application of his Stand in that situation, as is Josuke's antics on the motorbike or Jotaro pitching Iggy at N'Doul and so on.

Gold Experience being a complete Swiss army knife of a power means it never really seems he out-thought his opponent, he just reveals he turned the bullet into a beetle or made a vaccine snake or whatever and the fight is over. Its stuff neither the enemy or viewer could ever see coming and usually completely arbitrary bullshit that only works because of author fiat. And GER is just a bigger version of that with 'animals' replaced by 'reality'.

Giorno does have some good scenes where he puts himself out and places his faith in his allies, but they're all fights where he eats poo poo and the focus is on the other members of the cast. Every time he takes centre stage it's pretty much a guarantee that the resolution will be very stupid and feature an entirely new application of Gold Experience's endless capabilities.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Right, that's my problem with Gold Experience. Every other JoJo power, it feels like they just genuinely thought of a clever application of their stand, and that had you thought about it, you could have come up with it too.

But Gold Experience is so vague, you never get the sense of "Giorno could win if he just did X". It's why it's a universal rule that the most interesting stands are the ones with clearly defined rules. "Crazy Diamond can return anything to a previous state but it can't heal Josuke himself or bring things back from the dead" etc.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

A good GE power resolution was at the beginning of the Ghiaccio fight, where Giorno needed the kinetic energy from Mista's bullets to get anything done. That felt like a clever bit for me at least. The biological transformations weren't the win-buttons themselves but allowed him to engage with the enemy stand user a bit better.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Right, that's my problem with Gold Experience. Every other JoJo power, it feels like they just genuinely thought of a clever application of their stand, and that had you thought about it, you could have come up with it too.

But Gold Experience is so vague, you never get the sense of "Giorno could win if he just did X". It's why it's a universal rule that the most interesting stands are the ones with clearly defined rules. "Crazy Diamond can return anything to a previous state but it can't heal Josuke himself or bring things back from the dead" etc.

Well, that's not exactly true. We had a lot of asspulls and weird resolutions, like Star Finger. Their difference is that they're usually used in a comedic or fairly boring fight. Jotaro sucking in Enya's Justice seem to annoy a lot of people, but honestly, he already won. He did the dumbass "Qtaro" thing, and could've easily just punched an old woman, Araki just thought of a funnier scenario.
Hermit Purple is another example. A stand used for one thing that can be achieved via smashing a highly specific camera is a funny gag, but it can only work once. Therefore we get television predictions, maps out of nowhere and self x-ray. Araki didn't forget, he just chose to expand the power and allow it more weird uses.

Giorno's power at first suffers from Hermit Purple's everchanging nature, which is much worse because he's the main character. Later on, he's at his best when the fight actually revolves around him. Killing a tree is a pretty cool move, turning cars into frogs is hilarious, and bullet-tree and bullet-beetle are fine. Hell, his best fight is probably against Ghiaccio, because his stand is limited there!
He is the loving worst when used as deus ex machina. There are fights that barely involve him, like The Man In The Mirror or Clash and Talking Head, where he basically just comes at the end of someone else's struggle with a miracle solution. It's basically that one thing that Araki hates the most: when someone in a desperate situation is suddenly rescued. He used the trope a few times, sure, but even with the most notable example, Polnareff, characters suddenly coming to help him was a part of his arc. Sure, Giorno is still somewhat nearby and he THINKS of a solution, but it ends up feeling like that one famous tweet:

"Well, I'd like to see ol Fugo wriggle his way out of THIS jam!
*Giorno comes out from the shadows and wriggles his way out of the jam easily.
Ah! Well. Nevertheless,"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It would be okay if Giorno's use of GE was as consistently loving awesome as that snowboard he made for Mista out of grass, but it's just...not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Gold Experience is like King Crimson in that we’re clear on what it does, but the specific rules on how it can be used – things like “how long does it last?” or “can you attack people in deleted time?” or “how much influence can Giorno exert over the life he creates?” never get defined answers and so every time they do something they haven’t done before, it feels like a rules change.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Unfortunately, the only good thing about Giorno is his theme.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also that time he drank piss

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So when he turned jellyfish back to tooth does that mean his tooth is full of piss now?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he's saving it as a memorial

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Gold Experience was just a God stand. Creating life is plainly God poo poo. You either accept that very early or ya don't.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
GE is Hamon: the Stand, that should answer all your questions

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Pootybutt posted:

Gold Experience was just a God stand. Creating life is plainly God poo poo. You either accept that very early or ya don't.

As befits the Son of DIO

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I, FirstAidKite, have a dream.

One day, people will look at Giorno and be able to comfortably say "That's bullshit, but I believe it."

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

giorno is cool

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Giorno's fights aren't good enough on their own terms to be fun and Araki doesn't commit enough to 'poo poo this kid really has a huge streak of DIO in him' for his meteoric ascent to the top of the underworld and obtaining ultimate Stand power to be as disquieting as it should. For VA to work you really should see more of the monster lurking in him rather than the painfully earnest and boring character who only really shows any of his true colours in the loving climax of the story.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Giorno isn't a monster though, he's Jonathan's will and belief in the importance of protecting others and his pure altruism and healing powers of the ripple combined with Dio's charisma, brutality, ambition, and ability to give life to the unliving.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Part 5, where I learned to stop stressin about the rules and learned to love the [R E S O L V E.]

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Imo, the only weak fight in the whole thing is Babyface, which was arguably better in the manga. I enjoyed the added emphasis on Babyface becoming(and losing bc he was) a shithead teenager stand who tells his "dad" to shut the gently caress up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FirstAidKite posted:

Giorno isn't a monster though, he's Jonathan's will and belief in the importance of protecting others and his pure altruism and healing powers of the ripple combined with Dio's charisma, brutality, ambition, and ability to give life to the unliving.

The story does nothing with most of this and what it does use is barely felt by the audience. Giorno's "resolve" is something pretty much every JoJo has, and his is the most generic in execution.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think Giorno would've been a much better and more interesting character if he was shown to be a bit of a monster at times. The only times he's allowed to get really brutal is after araki makes 200% sure that it's totally unambiguous that the victim is a bad person and totally deserves it. I think if there was a little more ambiguity there, like e.g. a tendency to go overboard/over-brutal on the punishment against someone who (maybe) doesn't deserve it, or maybe a hint of megalomania (either current or potential down the road), or anything like that, he'd be a way more interesting jojo.

e.g. if araki'd had the stones to replace Ciocolatta with Fugo, and maybe Fugo's conflicted about the fight and doesn't intend for all the collateral damage but Giorno gets angry about the betrayal and keeps pressing him, eventually ending the same way the Ciocolatta fight does. It'd be a lot less cathartic and more like "uh holy poo poo, is Giorno all right? Are the people around him going to be all right?" which would feel like a more appropriate atmosphere to have around a character partly descended from DIO, instead of like two moments where the series goes "LOOK LOOK HE'S DOING THE DIO POSE SON OF DIO"

You could probably remove the DIO part of Giorno's character entirely and I'd argue that it wouldn't change a single thing plot or characterwise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You could probably remove the DIO part of Giorno's character entirely and I'd argue that it wouldn't change a single thing plot or characterwise.

Exactly. It feels like it's just there because Araki thought it would be fun if the JoJo for the part went MUDAMUDAMUDA, which, fair

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Giorno being DIOs son is treated almost like an Easter egg than an actual character trait. At least that’s how it seemed to me.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Giorno feels like the most Jonathan-like JoJo since, well, Jonathan, and that isn’t a great thing unfortunately.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like the comparisons to Jonathan are more incidental than anything you can actually attribute to his lineage. You could describe say Buccialati in the same way and it would be just as relevant.

I feel like his more manipulative aspects can be linked to DIO at least, but the whole Jonathan thing has never really felt apt to me. It feels like by the time Jotaro fought him, Araki no longer considered the body at all Jonathan's, and it didn't affect anything he wrote going forward.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The conclsion to VA is definitely meant to be ambivalent in its tone. Girono literally sentences his enemy to eternal damnation with his newly obtained ultimate power then after Polnareff tells him to cast away the arrow in Mr President for the sake of the world the scene ends with the arrow still in Giorno's hand and his eyes in shadow, before cutting to a ominously silent scene of the dons of Passione paying their fealty to the new king of the underworld with Mista looking on warily. There's a very strong implication he's kept hold of the arrow (and by extension GER) and Giorno may not be the entirely noble and selfless champion of justice he'd previously seemed, or that even if his intentions are pure how long they will remain so after he has seized the power of a god and an international criminal enterprise.

The problem is you don't really see any peek into this side of Giorno outside of the opening or the conclusion. Even if he was deliberately decieving the gang we should be seeing glimpses of the potenial megalomaniac his father became in him, but he's continually the very good very polite young man from the time he joins Bruno's crew up until his death, we don't see the cracks in his personality that should be building towards his eventual grasp for power. I guess what I'm saying is Giorno really should have been more like Golden Age Griffith.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It's funny how common it is to interpet Girono as the Johnathan to Diavolo's Dio when I always read the analogue as the opposite, Giorno being the beautiful Blonde intruder who infiltrates the Boss' station, breaks his poo poo, turns his family against him and ultimately usurps his throne. And GioGio didn't have to murder anyone's pet to do it(unless you count Doppio.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

you should count Doppio