Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

the reason some people wont let the solar roadway thing go is because they're trying to justify building more roads for more cars so they can live in a nice suburb that's close to the Good Schools if you know what i mean.

The entirety of post-war American culture already exists, though? "They ain't gotta justify poo poo" (as the kids say these days).

Like, solar roadways are the deciding factor in exactly 0% of situations, literally no road engineer thinks they work (because they loving don't, in fact: has it ever actually even been installed?) and it's a little bit strange to present it like it's this hugely impactful thing either in popular or professional mindshare?

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the most american thing to do is offer a promise that things can get meaningfully better via one weird trick that won't impact your day to day life, like solar roads, electric cars, misuse of industrial boring equipment, etc.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

the only reason to have solar roadways is for easy and sick drifting in any car

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

qirex posted:

the most american thing to do is offer a promise that things can get meaningfully better via one weird trick that won't impact your day to day life, like solar roads, electric cars, misuse of industrial boring equipment, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Schadenboner posted:

Like, solar roadways are the deciding factor in exactly 0% of situations, literally no road engineer thinks they work (because they loving don't, in fact: has it ever actually even been installed?)
They did a test run somewhere and the result was pretty terrible. Like huge maintenance costs bad.

this was the French test.

I recall a test for Solar Roadways somewhere too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the appeal i think some people like is the promise of some idyllic wanking about not putting the functional thing where you can see it like some roadway nimby

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FilthyImp posted:

They did a test run somewhere and the result was pretty terrible. Like huge maintenance costs bad.

wasnt it a sidewalk at a rest area and even then it crumbled in a year

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, they were 't even traffic-facing tests. :eng99:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

It actually caught fire and the livestream captured it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Michaellaneous posted:

It actually caught fire and the livestream captured it

truly the tesla of paving solutions

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

qirex posted:

truly the tesla of paving solutions

nobody died tho :confused:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
i think like a lot of bazinga obsessions you start with a genuinely utopian idea - e.g. "it would be amazing if you could turn roads into solar panels" - that would be a great idea if several generational leaps in multiple, unrelated fields of science, technology and engineering could be made simultaneously, but then just ram whatever existing technology you have to hand at the problem and declare it done. anyone pointing out that the end result completely fails to meet the criteria of either "solar panel" or "road", let alone improve on either of them, is an anti-science fudster who wants to obstruct the amazing future

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
problem though: a utopia wouldn't have roads.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember when they tried to convince people to install 'solar roofs' by solarcity, no these will actually replace your shingles

lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

problem though: a utopia wouldn't have roads.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

remember when they tried to convince people to install 'solar roofs' by solarcity, no these will actually replace your shingles

lol

i assumed it has something to do with how you get a tax break for the square footage of the roof that regularass solar panels are covering when you do the install and roof replacement at the same time

so hey why not make the entire roof out of the solar panels and get even more of that sweet sweet government subsidy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
love too wait seven weeks for the one authorized Tesla Solar Roof Guy in the region to come fix the hole in my roof or else the warranty gets voided

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Love the roof, though.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

my radical vision for the future: the present, but with a magical life support machine that means nothing ever needs to change.

thank you, thank you. that will be 20 billion dollars

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

A roadways even that large an area in total surface area? Like they're long but they're narrow so I can't imagine they actually take up that much space. I mean I guess if you include parking lots it would be a lot more but I don't know how people are thinking about this, and parking lots would have the issue of being mostly covered by cars during the day anyway.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
looks like most controlled access lanes not in super-crowded urban areas are a standard of 12 feet center to center on the paint, plus breakdown/shoulder lanes and barriers. if youve ever been in a wreck on an interstate and left your car, or are otherwise unlucky enough to have to cross a freeway on foot, you'll be surprised at how wide it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the lines on the highway are 15 feet long and 45 feet apart.

weird, isn't it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

the lines on the highway are 15 feet long and 45 feet apart.

weird, isn't it

the fact that they aren't 13.2 feet long with 39.6 feet of whitespace is an offense to bored roadtrippers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Little Death posted:

A roadways even that large an area in total surface area? Like they're long but they're narrow so I can't imagine they actually take up that much space. I mean I guess if you include parking lots it would be a lot more but I don't know how people are thinking about this, and parking lots would have the issue of being mostly covered by cars during the day anyway.

nah not really compared to the total right of way needed for all the stuff that isn't the paved traveled way of a roadway, particularly so for highways since you need so much clear zone next to them (30' width minimum each direction) and median separation and drainage swales and whatnot

you know what might be a better place for solar panels? how bout all the roof space on all the buildings, i bet that has a few advantages

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Really you just want big solar farms where land is unused and cheap, rather than solar on the roof of every house.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if we got off our rear end and got our grid on HVDC we could put solar thermal plants in a few worthless corners of southwest states and generate enough power to run the entire nation for free forever, including transmission losses

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

if we got off our rear end and got our grid on HVDC we could put solar thermal plants in a few worthless corners of southwest states and generate enough power to run the entire nation for free forever, including transmission losses

where are you on a worldwide grid?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

yippee cahier posted:

where are you on a worldwide grid?

0,0 naturally

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

really trying to talk myself out of ordering the mach e

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I read an article recently about the unforeseen challenges with maintenance / reliability on thermal solar plants, but I can't find it now for the life of me. It would have been an article from an actual industry source, not the NY Times or something similar. I still like the idea though, and every new technology is going to have growing pains.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
thermal solar is a great idea, but it just isnt going down the cost curve in the same way that photovoltaic solar is

pv solar is deployable in about a hundred times more places, and with a hundred times more flexibility of scale

even its best feature (the way that the molten salt stores heat and generates power overnight) is less of a winner given the ongoing price drops in bulk battery storage

handling the molten salt is tough - if you use metal pipes they corrode, and if you use plastic/pvc pipes they melt

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what do you need it for

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Has elon said he's going to put solar panels in his tunnels and the hyperloop yet?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Boody posted:

Has elon said he's going to put solar panels in his tunnels and the hyperloop yet?

regenerative headlight recovery system ™️

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they sent me a free mach 3 when i turned 18

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's an suv with a mustang badge

the cayenne of mustangs

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

stirlo posted:

regenerative headlight recovery system ™️

Tweet that at him at 2am on Friday night and I bet it will end up in a future Tesla

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Sagebrush posted:

it's an suv with a mustang badge

the cayenne of mustangs

it looks so cool why'd they have to call it a mustang dang nabbit.

edit: it's 71k cad for the only proper package which is premium awd extended range. $71k for a ford that's not a truck? no way jose.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 29, 2020

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

get a lotus, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Skim Milk posted: