Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
As someone who started with a cheap airbrush and then got a H&S Evolution, I must say that the biggest step up was a floating nozzle. A big thing that’s not screwed in, the difference is enormous! I’m still a beginner but cleaning the nozzle is the hardest and it not being tiny helps a lot. Also a you won’t break the floating nozzle trying to screw it in place.

Also a cheap ultrasonic cleaner was totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

zokie posted:

Go on...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You can do just fine with the cheap airbrush that comes with the Master compressor. It's not as good as a badger, but it's enough to figure out if you're interested in something better.

If you spray acrylics you can get away with just a particulate mask. And eyepro that doesn't seal against your face isn't doing poo poo against aerosolized paint.

You can easily make your own spray booth. Just look at pictures of one and imitate that shape with a cardboard box.

I don't know what the lighting in your house is like, but if you or someone you live with are the type to only use soft white bulbs you'll probably want to pick up a bulb or two that's closer to sunlight so you aren't trying to match colors with everything tinted yellow.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

zokie posted:

I kinda have to admit that I've had a much better experience when I more or less stopped deep-cleaning my airbrushes. I used to take them all apart at the end of every session and deep clean every nook and cranny. Inevitably, I'd not do a good enough job, and some particle of paint would block up the nozzle and I'd have to repeat the disassembly and cleaning processes all over again. I stumbled across a video from Paul Budzik where he stated he didn't deep clean all that often. So, I pretty much just clean out the visible paint, back blast a little thinner to clean out the nozzle, and then spray clean thinner through the brush. I have had almost zero issues with my brush since starting that routine. Only when I do something stupid like let paint dry in the cup, do I need to do a deep cleaning.

I know it goes against the "most airbrushing problems are due to dirty airbrushes" but I absolutely swear by my less-is-more method now.

Edit: I'm running a pair of Iwata HP-CS Eclipses. One is 6 years old, the other is 6 months old. I've never taken the latter apart and I've used it dozens of times.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 27, 2020

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I kinda have to admit that I've had a much better experience when I more or less stopped deep-cleaning my airbrushes. I used to take them all apart at the end of every session and deep clean every nook and cranny. Inevitably, I'd not do a good enough job, and some particle of paint would block up the nozzle and I'd have to repeat the disassembly and cleaning processes all over again. I stumbled across a video from Paul Budzik where he stated he didn't deep clean all that often. So, I pretty much just clean out the visible paint, back blast a little thinner to clean out the nozzle, and then spray clean thinner through the brush. I have had almost zero issues with my brush since starting that routine. Only when I do something stupid like let paint dry in the cup, do I need to do a deep cleaning.

I know it goes against the "most airbrushing problems are due to dirty airbrushes" but I absolutely swear by my less-is-more method now.

Edit: I'm running a pair of Iwata HP-CS Eclipses. One is 6 years old, the other is 6 months old. I've never taken the latter apart and I've used it dozens of times.

This is my experience as well. It could be because I spray lacquer almost exclusively though which tends to clean up a lot more easily. My feeling is that I'm far more likely to have trouble that is caused by mishandling during the cleaning process than by a build up of paint. I managed to prove this by bending a needle tip last time I actually did a deep clean on my airbrushes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Most of my clogs are usually due to big paint globs stuck in the nozzle, it's usually easy to tell if I'll need to disassemble after spraying or if I can just shoot a few cups of cleaner and wipe down the needle.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've had an Iwata HP-CS and Badger Sotar 20/20 for a few years and don't think I've ever disassembled either of them beyond removing the needle. I also spray lacquers almost exclusively. For a while I wasn't even removing the needle when cleaning - just backflushing the cup and spraying straight lacquer thinner, but I would have problems with the needle sticking the next time I went to use it. Now, I dump some lacquer thinner in the cup, back flush it, then wipe the cup out while it is still half full of thinner. Then remove the needle, squirt more lacquer thinner into the cup and tilt it forward and back so it flows up and down the needle passage. Dump what's left of the thinner in the cup onto a paper towel and use that to wipe off the needle. Reinsert the needle, spray out whatever lacquer thinner is left in there and call it done. Takes about a minute or two.

That is a huge improvement over when I used to spray acrylics out of a siphon feed Badger 150. I'd have to tear that down and get in there with the little brushes and the cup was an additional pain in the rear end to clean. It was so time consuming that it really put me off of airbrushing. Also, with the Badger 150 (and maybe others) they recommend against removing the nozzle unless absolutely necessary because the head seal can permanently deform if it is recompressed too many times.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah cleaning is definitely the best part of spraying lacquers or alcohol-based acrylics. I have a .4mm single action airbrush dedicated to primers and metallics. I deep clean it more often than my main airbrush since some primers (stynylrez) are extremely stubborn. This means I dont have to take my .3/.18mm apart as often.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I got inspired by Angel Giraldez who if you don’t know has an awesome YouTube channel now. My cleaning process is quite simple, I rinse out any paint and wipe it off, then remove the nozzle cap, nozzle, cup, and needle putting everything, including the body in the ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes. Then I wipe it off again, use the little nozzle cleaning tool to make sure that it doesn’t have paint left in it. I might use a Q-tip to clean out the “barrel”.

Using the cleaner removes a lot of work, and gives peace of mind. Having a floating nozzle that can be cleaned with a proper tool is great, I’m never going back to the tiny screwed in nozzles again.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

That's honestly overkill but hey if it works for you it works. Id be a little worried about stripping out any lubricants in the body of the airbrush with the constant ultrasonic cleaning though.

As far as the screw in nozzles go, many top of the line airbrushes still use them. Mostly comes down to preference but I don't think they're too much of a hassle to clean.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Does anyone have a link to the Hi-Mock bathroom diorama a goon made a few years ago? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Symetrique posted:

That's honestly overkill but hey if it works for you it works. Id be a little worried about stripping out any lubricants in the body of the airbrush with the constant ultrasonic cleaning though.

That reminds me, how often and where should I be oiling the needle on my P105 ?

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Kibner posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Hi-Mock bathroom diorama a goon made a few years ago? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Unkempt posted:

My crapkit won a silver medal. Silver means I'm the best loser :unsmith:

this guy?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yesssss!!! Thanks!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

mllaneza posted:

That reminds me, how often and where should I be oiling the needle on my P105 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWFoG5Inmw

This is the technique I use. You'll have to tweak it a bit since the patriot has the stopper at the end of the needle, so you cant do the reverse insertion thing. If you're dunking the whole airbrush in an ultrasonic cleaner, you should also be lubricating the air valve spring, needle spring, and trigger too probably. The air valve spring comes lubricated from the factory and requires a special tool to pop open as well.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is there a good site to look at non military plastic scale models? I used to make planes and tanks but twenty years of living the military life has burnt me out on anything related it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hekk posted:

Is there a good site to look at non military plastic scale models? I used to make planes and tanks but twenty years of living the military life has burnt me out on anything related it.

If you specifically want plastic models, CultTVManShop is an excellent shop offering just a out every sci-fi/dinosaur/monster/etc kit out there. Lots of unique product you won't find elsewhere.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you specifically want plastic models, CultTVManShop is an excellent shop offering just a out every sci-fi/dinosaur/monster/etc kit out there. Lots of unique product you won't find elsewhere.

This is awesome! Thanks much. I appreciate the link.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Hekk posted:

Spotmodel and hiroboy are good for cars and based in Europe. 1999 or plaza japan are also good and based in Japan so I don’t tend to get stuff from them because they changed the tax rules and things are more expensive as a result.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Symetrique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWFoG5Inmw

This is the technique I use. You'll have to tweak it a bit since the patriot has the stopper at the end of the needle, so you cant do the reverse insertion thing. If you're dunking the whole airbrush in an ultrasonic cleaner, you should also be lubricating the air valve spring, needle spring, and trigger too probably. The air valve spring comes lubricated from the factory and requires a special tool to pop open as well.

Thank you. And boy, talk about being in it for the inhalants. Dude loves his solvents.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If you spray acrylics you can get away with just a particulate mask. And eyepro that doesn't seal against your face isn't doing poo poo against aerosolized paint.

You can easily make your own spray booth. Just look at pictures of one and imitate that shape with a cardboard box.

Im seeing a lot of people cutting up boxes or plastic bins and adding air ducts and extractors, is that needed when working with acrylics?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

PacoPepe posted:

Im seeing a lot of people cutting up boxes or plastic bins and adding air ducts and extractors, is that needed when working with acrylics?

Yeah. You definitely want a spray booth regardless of what type of paint you're airbrushing. It helps catch all of the overspray and a filter will help prevent acrylic dust from getting everywhere.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Andys hobby HQ is gonna start selling their last batch of WNW kits 10am on Friday.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PacoPepe posted:

If you want to buy a spray booth instead of going home-made, the bog standard unit most hobbyists use the Master Airbrush Spray Booth, seen below. This this is ubiquitous as gently caress, seemingly every company in china sells their own rebranded version. They typically sell for about $120, although I've seen them as low as $50 from time to time. They are various versions, some in packs of two booths, some with LED light addons, some with or without tube venting, etc etc. Hunt around and you can find one for cheap probably, or just go to the Amazon link below for a capable unit. I use two of them myself stood vertically side to side, so it gives me double width and good height as well, for larger garage kits.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbr...95989051&sr=8-1

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I got the one with the LED lights and I'm really glad I did. That corner of the apartment is poorly lit after dark, and even with the sun out you can always use more lught.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.amazon.com/OPHIR-Airbru...95990243&sr=8-2

There's also this version that has two fans in one housing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

you can always use more lught.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Get some big overhead LED shoplights. Locator turned me on to these lights, and they've been a godsend.

(good lord, look at my babby setup compared to now, 5 years goes by so fast)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

mllaneza posted:

I got the one with the LED lights and I'm really glad I did. That corner of the apartment is poorly lit after dark, and even with the sun out you can always use more lught.

I got the one with the led light strip and it’s never worked right. I just got a pair of proper desk lamps on both sides now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Get some big overhead LED shoplights. Locator turned me on to these lights, and they've been a godsend.

(good lord, look at my babby setup compared to now, 5 years goes by so fast)

Those lights are awesome, I still love them. I still have 2 more to install over my power tool benches... and they've been sitting there waiting for me to install them for.. 5 years. drat.. where did all that time go.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

I got the one with the led light strip and it’s never worked right. I just got a pair of proper desk lamps on both sides now.

There's a good chance they just never seated well enough to make electrical contact. There's also a chance - probably better - that you got burned and the return window closed years ago.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

mllaneza posted:

There's a good chance they just never seated well enough to make electrical contact. There's also a chance - probably better - that you got burned and the return window closed years ago.

Yeah that’s exactly the problem, the strip would never stay connected. It was only 10$ more than the one without the lights so I didn’t bother returning it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Volks restocked a few of their out of production SWS Zoukei-Mura kits:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=1870

Couple of interesting 1/32 vehicles. Kinda tempted to grab that 1/32 Kettenkrad, or the 1/32 J7W1.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
While I wait for the decals for my AMG GT3 kit to be shipped from Spain I thought I'd pick up something else to keep me busy in the mean time and also something that doesn't need an aftermarket kit to make it pop. To that end I've been working on Tamiya's xanavi nismo gt-r. I've got it up to decalling stage and theres about 100 to make the scheme work. I'm slightly worried about the chrome plate roof thats included in the kit but I tested out some ts13 on some scrap spure and it didn't affect the finish so I think I'll glue it on before I do the decals and clear coat. I'm also getting better at masking things as this one didn't suffer from any paint bleed like previous models have.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

quote:

Roden has announced it is resuming production of WW1 aircraft kits and our Forum's poll on the most wanted new kits has been an influence in their decision to resume WW1 production.

Roden President Vladimir Chumak has been greatly encouraged by our poll and our enthusiasm for Roden to produce new WW1 aircraft kits and says the first of the new kits is likely to be released early next year.

At this stage they are focusing on 1/32 scale to test the market, and I'm delighted to say our forum poll number one wish- the Spad XIII - has been added to the likely first new releases. Two other poll highlights- the Avro 504K and Sopwith One and a Half Strutter - comprise the intended first three releases. The sequence of releases is yet to be decided.

hell yeah

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I made a thing that's shockingly not a tank, although there's still a gun and armour!.

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/MvtBJkB

This is a pretty involved conversion of the Bandai Boba Fett kit. The base kit is pretty high quality, although not as good as the Hi-Mock that I built for a crapkit group build in this very thread many years ago. A lot of the parts needed filling and sanding even without taking the conversion into account, plus there are parts of the joints where the tolerances are too tight and the paint gets scraped off instantly.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I made a thing that's shockingly not a tank, although there's still a gun and armour!.

Awesome paint work IMO and the cape looks great. I was shocked at how large it was when you show it with the Hi-Mock, I honestly thought it was just a tiny and very well done miniature until that picture!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks! The base kit is 1:12 scale, so it's quite large. This is the second largest figure I ever built, beaten only by the 1:9 scale Captain America.

Here's the Mandalorian next to a 1:16 figure and a 1:35 scale tank, to show the size.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nice work! Love the cape; mixed media on kits really brings things to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm very happy with how the cape turned out, especially the torn parts at the bottom, it's probably my favourite part of the finished work. All the capes on official figures look like garbage.