Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The last few eps with Patrick Cockburn and Matthew Randazzo are pretty good and timely. After that it really depends on interests. They have an Italian guest, Annibale, who has a thick accent but is a listener favorite. I recommend the series they do with him on modern Italy, about the Italian resistance in WW2 (starts ep 131), its participation on the Eastern Front (starts ep 226) and the Years of Lead (starts ep 135).

Just scrolling through the feed here are some decent ones:
Radio War Nerd EP205 — Recovered History of Neoliberalism & Fascism
Radio War Nerd EP85—William Hogeland on America's First (Forgotten) War
Radio War Nerd EP181 — Gene Sharp, Color Revolutions & American Empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

One thing to know about War Nerd eps is that the first 20 minutes may be the host talking about how earlier that week he was locked in the stall of an airport bathroom for an hour. I love it, but some people may not.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Annibale is this listener's favorite :swoon:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

One thing to know about War Nerd eps is that the first 20 minutes may be the host talking about how earlier that week he was locked in the stall of an airport bathroom for an hour. I love it, but some people may not.

If you're not listening to war nerd specifically to see what miserable indignity life has visited on John this week then I don't want to know you

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Crane Fist posted:

If you're not listening to war nerd specifically to see what miserable indignity life has visited on John this week then I don't want to know you

that's our boy!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I can’t get into Chapo but really like citations needed. is there a good rec for a podcast that deals with contemporary issues but isnt centered around critiquing media?

scanned the op lost but it’s daunting given how much stuff is out there

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

michael brooks dead in his 30s but ben shapiro will live to 105

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Percelus posted:

michael brooks dead in his 30s but ben shapiro will live to 105

105 cm maybe

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Reject Chapo
Embrace Homo
https://soundcloud.com/hvulgaris/7776-be-game-do-warcrimes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Citations Needed is really good as left media (and what I recommend to random people), but to be honest at least half of the episodes aren't very interesting to listen to because they're about topics that I'm already fully aware of and are basically just telling me things I already know.

AnEdgelord posted:

I think the Chapos are severely underestimating the likelihood of the Election becoming a flashpoint.

Trump DOES have an ultraloyal armed force in the form of DHS and ICE and, after listening to media roots radio's big Qanon 2-parter, I've become convinced that someone in the Trump admin is deliberately cultivating the Q people as a readymade force of brown shirts.

Plus, while its unlikely he could successfully hold onto power in the face of opposition from the DoD, there is no guarantee that he or his allies are smart enough to know that.

I strongly doubt this, mainly because the vast majority of Q people are random boomers.

The reason why this scenario is unlikely is that capital doesn't really have any incentive to create such a chaotic situation when they could instead support giving power to Biden, an extremely reliable advocate for their interests.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
somehow i doubt the gang of rebadged blackwater mercs that make up the ice totenkopf dvision are gonna put their lives on the line for trump

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Citations Needed is really good as left media (and what I recommend to random people), but to be honest at least half of the episodes aren't very interesting to listen to because they're about topics that I'm already fully aware of and are basically just telling me things I already know.

They brought it up themselves in one of their episodes, but it's often true that you could already read all about whatever it is they are talking about on Jon Schwartz's tiny revolution blog in the year 2006.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ytlaya posted:

The reason why this scenario is unlikely is that capital doesn't really have any incentive to create such a chaotic situation when they could instead support giving power to Biden, an extremely reliable advocate for their interests.

I was considering the same thing; that maybe the system will go for Biden this time in an attempt at keeping things balanced and heading off any future disasters. However, that presupposes quite a few things, such as the system not going for Hillary last time, or that the conditions that lead to her loss having gone away or changed. Yeah, Biden is not Hillary, but he's not a particularly popular candidate, and the reactionary forces behind Trump has not gone anywhere. Matt speaks of swing voters who just wanted something new and different no longer voting for Trump, but the Chapos have derided the idea that swing voters / moderates decide the election for years at this point. Turnout and trickery seems to be the name of the game, and with Corona and a brewing insurrection who knows what is in store in those regards?

I think we've seen that the system has a weakness in that sometimes it can lose control over the checks and conditions it creates to deal with the left. As such, and because things can apparently only get worse, I would not be surprised by a Trump win. Maybe capital believes that this is it, and further descent into outright totalitarianism is the safer bet in these trying times.

I don't think Trump would stage an outright coup after a loss either though. That's probably fanfiction by libs.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Jul 29, 2020

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
When Citations Needed are good they're really good but it really does vary from topic to topic. Like all the ones about police reporting I skip because the UK doesn't have nearly the same problem (obv. there is still copy pasting of cop press releases just way less of it)

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

The Muppets On PCP posted:

somehow i doubt the gang of rebadged blackwater mercs that make up the ice totenkopf dvision are gonna put their lives on the line for trump

they'd be putting their lives on the line for power - vast personal power and incredible wealth. in a situation where they (ice and militant sheriffs and the corrections bureau or whoever else with guns + uniforms) put a sufficiently intimidating ring around the White House that he stayed in, they become the new revolutionary guard. that's the parallel military structure you set up with even more ludicrous funding and insane brainwashing because the dictator can't trust the military. and being in the revolutionary guard comes with perks galore.

not saying that's what's gonna happen, but plenty of incentive is there. those fat-necked white guys in wraparound sunglasses wouldn't just be coming out for the love of Trump, but for the desire to be an untouchable praetorian class. I'm sure in their imagination it's perfectly honourable and patriotic and a bald eagle is crying a single tear in the background, but they'd be in it for the power.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The ongoing trueanon series about the spider network is so loving good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ballin' out super's White Genoseinfeld bit is pretty good

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Egg Moron posted:

The ongoing trueanon series about the spider network is so loving good

yeah one thing i particularly enjoy about trueanon is their complete willingness to speculate and to be clearly informed by theory without being excessively theoretical, it's cracking stuff

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ytlaya posted:

I love it, but as with Economic Update, I sometimes skip the interview section.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Obey Wario

Destroy Mario

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
First Obamacast just came out and I listened to it so you didn't have to.
Spoilers:
It's trite bullshit full of dumb loving platitudes where they talk about their lives in just-so ways that ignore most of the material realities of their lives. Felix's "eating a tortilla filled with flour" definitely applies.
Ostensibly it's about how the life story of "leave nuclear family to start a career independent of family" is historically abnormal. You'll get more substance from about 15 seconds of Matt Christman and Sean KB drunkenly ranting than in the entire hour. Exclusively marketed to upper middle-class millennials and x'ers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AnEdgelord posted:

be careful about subjugating Naples, if you don't have truces with some of the north Italian states its very easy to have a coalition fire immediately after you vassalize them

I haven't done much conquering of Italy yet because of the web of alliances making it hard.

I joined the HRE and started a colony on the Ivory Coast.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
There was a line towards the end of Obama-cast where Barrack says that young people shouldn't be cynical about politics because it's merely an expression of "all of us" coming together to make decisions together.
Holy loving hell how did we ever expect anything from this fraud?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I can imagine the take for the Obamacast being like Krusty hurrying through his voice lines, but it's an hour long

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

shrike82 posted:

it's not just the Taibbi cast. they've basically been at sea since Sanders lost and being out of touch with BLM and the ongoing protests hasn't helped. this week's cast has them going on about how society is atomized and people are too alienated to work together which is a dumb take given the strength of the ongoing protests (unless you just follow traditional media which has stopped covering them).

I haven't listened to the ep but if they're arguing that people are too alienated for stuff like general strikes or mass rent strikes then it's not that dumb of a take

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

people are way too glib talking about general strikes. a general strike means physically preventing all work in the targeted area not approved by the strike committee.

people who think we need general strikes are correct, but i hope their next thought is "what can we do to make ourselves capable of one?"

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
yeah it means kicking the poo poo out of dummies who don't toe the line, a mentality that american libs, and even most leftists right now can't bring themselves to even entertain.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

thanks all for the RWN recs, going to work my way through the annibale episodes godspeed

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Zedhe Khoja posted:

yeah it means kicking the poo poo out of dummies who don't toe the line, a mentality that american libs, and even most leftists right now can't bring themselves to even entertain.

I mean it’s a tough thing to do. people just wanna work to feed themselves and their families. I can get that

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Many people wish to kiss annibale. And who can blame them

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

thanks all for the RWN recs, going to work my way through the annibale episodes godspeed

when he says Venice is in Iceland he means an island

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Ytlaya posted:

They do it less now, but it’s still disappointing when the criticize Fox News and other big conservative media. It’s all true, but they are just playing on easy mode at that point. Not very sporting :colbert:

Zedhe Khoja posted:

There was a line towards the end of Obama-cast where Barrack says that young people shouldn't be cynical about politics because it's merely an expression of "all of us" coming together to make decisions together.
Holy loving hell how did we ever expect anything from this fraud?
I can’t remember if I read it here or heard it on a podcast, but one of the most disappointing things about Obama was that in the end he was still just doing liberal resumé building. He held the most powerful political position on the planet and spent it like it was just a stepping stone to another career.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

well you have to admit, it is a very impressive CV

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I absolutely can't get through Annibale's accent which sucks because id like to know more about the Years of Lead

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

people are way too glib talking about general strikes. a general strike means physically preventing all work in the targeted area not approved by the strike committee.

people who think we need general strikes are correct, but i hope their next thought is "what can we do to make ourselves capable of one?"

this is why it's still easier to get anything happening at portside

not just literal ports, you can gently caress poo poo up if you can get freight forwarders and customs offices to close shop for a few days around an airport

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1288554455026339840?s=20

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

it's easier to ask which episodes of rwn are not worth listening to than which are good. of the more recent episodes, there was a pretty bad episode on japan because the guest was not very good and seemed to orientalize the topic of samurai.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ugh I hate uninformed guests on podcasts

There's a Defunctland episode with a British theme park "expert" who says things that make it clear he's never been in the parks he's talking about

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gwen Snyder is posting again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
for rwn i highly recommend episode 19
its just a loose discussion of torture but its pretty good