Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm new to this space and would like to confess my ignorance to this meme. My apologies if I inadvertently furthered it I won't do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
rest assured its not at all serious enough to do things like call this thread a space

happy posting :cheerdoge:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
fried green tomatoes continues to hold relevance in ikoku nikki

E: if you're not reading this smh

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 30, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i wass reading it and then i sstopped :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

i wass reading it and then i sstopped :(

smh!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1288851841774755846

Glad the Otherside Picnic manga's getting licensed, I've enjoyed it but the fan TL's been inconsistent.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the Okura gay son manga is really cute and good I'm super excited it got picked up :woop:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Glad the Otherside Picnic manga's getting licensed, I've enjoyed it but the fan TL's been inconsistent.
:hmmyes:

Everything Burrito posted:

the Okura gay son manga is really cute and good I'm super excited it got picked up :woop:
:hmmyes:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Everything Burrito posted:

This!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I should really read it properly sometime, ever time it's posted here or on twitter it's super cute

There's also that one with the gay kid where the art looks like Rumiko Takahashi did it from awhile back, forget what that was called

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rody One Half posted:

I should really read it properly sometime, ever time it's posted here or on twitter it's super cute

There's also that one with the gay kid where the art looks like Rumiko Takahashi did it from awhile back, forget what that was called

Go For It, Nakamura!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm a lifelong Inuyasha fan which is not a shojo but might as well be. There was a video of a guy talking about how great it was and how it "introduced the Japanese take on "in another world" to the West." Now I'm not nitpicking, IY was one of the most successful anime ever even during the Boom period.

But as soon as I heard this I sat up and was indignant. Maybe it wasn't as big as Inuyasha but a show very much like Inuyasha was also pretty popular and this was years before IY caught fire here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5Qa6viiz0

It's been a decade since I first watched it and planning on doing a rewatch because my memory is far from perfect. Was also thinking I should finally read the Genbu Kaiden prequel afterward. Watase was sort of a punching bag for the shojo fans I talked to elsewhere because of her heroines. But GK apparently made the new heroine a lot more...proactive? Strong? Whatever you wanna call it.

I didn't have a real problem with Miaka even if I felt a bit lied to by the promise that the Priestess would get all sorts of cool powers. Spoilers but she gets cool powers once and....meh. Whatever.

God the music in this anime is so fuckin' good. I can't say whatever else holds up for me but the music is as good as I remember. Apparently this is the voice of that infamous fiend Dio Brando singing as the beautiful emperor Hotohori
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMIUeH7Hyd4

Of course, I watched the English dub. I remember pointedly that it was me reading David Hayter's Wikipedia page and seeing he voiced a character in this show that made me watch it. But the dub as a whole was pretty solid from my memory. A lot of pros you don't hear much anymore like McGlynn as best character Nuriko, Bridget Hoffman as Miaka and whoever the hell did Nakago and gave him the sexiest voice ever.

What's Watase up to these days? Last I looked up years ago she was doing her first shounen and I was uninterested from what I read in the first couple volumes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a fair amount of stuff in that vein that got released overseas a while before inuyasha yeah, outside of fushigi yuugi obvious ones would be like, escaflowne and rayearth

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unfortunately I associate Fushigi Yuugi with the period of my life I'd most like to forget existed.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

El-Hazard ftw

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIM2dV9R7fA

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I remember a time when Inuyasha was what I considered to be bottom of the barrel for the "going to another world" style of story but it was fine because stuff like El-Hazard, Those who hunt elves, Magical Girl Rayearth, and Digimon existed. I want to go back to those times because the modern equivalent to this theme blows. Miroku got robbed of his revenge the entire series and I can't even remember if he got to do anything of value in the end.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
He got to marry Sango, who is a cool lady.

... I think? It's been so very long, and honestly I'd lost interest by the time it got to the end.

(Takahashi Syndrome: when a series keeps going well past the point where it should have ended. See: Inuyasha, Ranma, and so on.)

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I spent so much time in high school listening to the Fushigi Yuugi soundtrack, well before I ever saw the anime (which admittedly was a letdown after probably 2-3 years of expectation).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I completely forgot how incredibly lewd and :nws: Softly Upon Her is, but then I decided to combine manga reading with a night of Zaphod Beeblebrox gambit, so now I've remembered.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Colonel posted:

there's a fair amount of stuff in that vein that got released overseas a while before inuyasha yeah, outside of fushigi yuugi obvious ones would be like, escaflowne and rayearth

Escaflowne was my introduction to anime, in the form of a CD-ROM full of pirated fansubs in RealMedia format I got from a classmate. My sister and I watched it together.

I remember it being really good but also getting really loving bonkers towards the end, which seems to be a common affliction of anime, but usually it's because they ran out of manga and just starting winging it, and with Escaflowne there was no manga, so :confused:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
stories go in directions that increase the stakes in order to elevate dramatic tension

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The end of escaflowne is cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I remember it being really good but also getting really loving bonkers towards the end, which seems to be a common affliction of anime, but usually it's because they ran out of manga and just starting winging it, and with Escaflowne there was no manga, so :confused:
... affliction?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Shows having a bad/weird ending is definitely something that happens mainly in anime.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lol'd at all the "got fans tweets are learning what it's like to watch the anime after its exhausted the source material" tweets and such

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

... affliction?

A lot of recent shounen romance series have had especially terrible endings, imo.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

"Plato, ca. 402 B.C." posted:

A lot of recent shounen romance series have had especially terrible endings, imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe Shounen romance series aren't for me but I feel a lot of them have pretty bad beginnings too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:3:

The cute but slightly NSFW childhood friend romance manga continues to be cute but slightly NSFW. Ominous end of chapter, though. :ohdear:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ominous? The antagonist couple?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's :nws: but the story of the unattainable flower and the normal girl is very powerful, even if it looks like it's only just begun.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

:3:

The cute but slightly NSFW childhood friend romance manga continues to be cute but slightly NSFW. Ominous end of chapter, though. :ohdear:

This is nice.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for each retweet two straight girls who don't like each other will kiss' "completed tag is a lie"

https://mangadex.org/title/47603/for-each-retweet-two-straight-girls-who-don-t-get-along-will-kiss-for-one-second

fair because the title is also a lie, except for that last part.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does anybody have any idea how manga royalties work? I'm just curious because I'm feeling very nostalgic lately as I noted with my FY rewatch and I also bought a couple volumes of Kaori Yuki's Angel Sanctuary. Her and Watase were consistent names in Viz's Shojo Beat 15 or so years ago.

But anyway her latest work is all licensed by Yen Press but most of her old stuff is still available from Viz. So does she still get money from my purchases from Viz? I hope so. I really do dislike pirating manga and try to support mangaka, especially since I so rarely read manga.

Also I wonder if Viz is doing their bundles anymore? I haven't read or bought a manga from them in years but at one point they did bundle deals where you could get all or most of a series at a discount. Then they just stopped doing it which pissed me off. $7 a volume really adds up given most of the manga I like are 10+ volumes, maybe even 20+.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poor Makio.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lemon-Lime posted:

Poor Makio.

god i love every character in this

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013