Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Saw a rare stealth bunny in my front yard today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I miss seeing bunnies around my apartments now :( they've been doing renovations on the leasing office & I think all the noise has temporarily spooked the rabbits. I live on the 1st floor so I used to see them a lot on the little patch of grass by my patio, usually laying in the shade or sun with their face in the grass munching away.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Apologies for the photodump. Saw some critters today on a hike at Mt Rainier:

Golden-mantled ground squirrel.

Not unexpectedly demanding of food from passers by. Cute, but really wish people would listen and not feed them.

Pretty sure this is a common raven. He was a very large corvid in alpine terrain where crows are much less common.

I wish I was able to get closer and take better pictures of this fellow. Every time I tried to get close, he'd just sashay behind some rocks.

Mountain goat.

I have a blurry, zoomed in photo, but this is the best I got.

My favorite, the hoary marmot.

These were everywhere. We even saw two fighting on the hike down.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

It's househunting time for the local cockatoos. Here is one half of a happy couple:

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
More garden bugs

Fairly confident this is a 14 spot ladybird

22 spot ladybird

Mint moth

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Found this bumbler snoozing on my neighbour's dill.

This one is just snoozing too, right?

Love these fuzzy little characters.

This dragonfly was lying still on the ground but it took off after I picked it up and put it on a plant. Hopefully it's alright!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/MHgeLdK.gifv

Two spider friends kissing

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Better luck next time buddy

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Tanners!

Wart-biter

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Whereabouts are you that that’s the colloquial name for those, out of curiosity?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Spider slap fight! Really nice catch, thank you for sharing.

The tiniest pill bug, which, as I am sure everyone knows by now, is actually a type of crustacean.

A shield bug. Not sure what species, but it has a very lovely pattern. It looks marbled ceramics. Never seen that kind before.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Saw this fairly big (~ 3 inches) dragonfly a few weeks ago hanging out on a stake. My phone really wanted to focus on the house instead of the dragonfly and I figured if I got closer it would fly away.

Also once again checking for bug identification, is this a termite? Looks kind of like a Western Drywood Termite to me (in CA), was just hanging out by a somewhat soft piece of door frame, was about 1 cm long. I hope not, but we are still under warranty from an exterminator coming out about a year ago...

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 10, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I dunno about species but that’s a very termitey shape there. I’d show that to your pest control person.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Could I please get some help with an ID? I see these tiny teardrop dudes in my shower and they are very bulbous in 3 dimensions but with a tiny head, a little like I imagine a full tick looking. I can't tell exactly but looking at it closely it might have some tiny pincers on the mouth. Body seems totally smooth with no markings, just black. Not counting the antennae they're about 4mm long, 6 legged. I'm in Toronto. Sorry about the bad pics, I only have my phone

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Killingyouguy! posted:

antennae ... 6 legged

Good news! It's not a tick!

Does it appear to have kind of a "beak" at the mouth, with antennae pointing forward probably bent 90-degrees at a joint in the centre? If so, you have a weevil, a harmless plant eating beetle.

This time of year they tend to be really active and always wind up inside. I find one every couple of days or so in my apartment.

It's hard to tell from those photos though. Are you able to get better ones?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 10, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

Good news! It's not a tick!

Does it appear to have kind of a "beak" at the mouth, with antennae pointing forward probably bent 90-degrees at a joint in the centre? If so, you have a weevil, a harmless plant eating beetle.

This time of year they tend to be really active and always wind up inside. I find one every couple of days or so in my apartment.

It's hard to tell from those photos though. Are you able to get better ones?

Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad to hear it's not a tick. It does seem to have a beak, though the bend in the antennae are bent more like 30 degrees.

That's as close as my phone will focus but I'll see what else I can do!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The local bees LOVE my squash flowers, which is great because I love the local bees!

Close encounters of the bird kind! This juvenile raven landed on the railing I was leaning against and we hung out for a bit.

Here it is chattering away, and relatedly here's a flock of noisy crows from earlier this year.

A friend asked for an ID on these beetles. Poconos, PA.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Killingyouguy! posted:

Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad to hear it's not a tick. It does seem to have a beak, though the bend in the antennae are bent more like 30 degrees.

That's as close as my phone will focus but I'll see what else I can do!

The exact angle isn't really important, they just usually keep them at about right angles when at rest. They'll extend them out when foraging.

For reference the ones I get in my apartment here in Vancouver look kind of like this. Stout and a bit round:

They like to munch on rhododendrons apparently, which makes sense because the building grounds here is covered in them.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 10, 2020

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

the yeti posted:

Whereabouts are you that that’s the colloquial name for those, out of curiosity?

Found them in Sweden, but the colloquial name is British English where it also exists (the tanner/tanner beetle). Prionus coriarius is its scientific name.

https://www.ukbeetles.co.uk/prionus-coriarius

In Swedish though the colloquial is taggbock, literally “spike buck” cause of the teeth on the sides of the pronotum.
Also a noun or adjective followed by “buck” is a common naming convention for longhorn beetles in Swedish.

They tend to emerge in my area at roughly the same time so sadly I keep finding loose elytra from some poor individuals who have fallen prey to rodents, birds or other predators.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 10, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So this may just be the most useless post I've ever made on something awful dot com, but none of my cameras will focus close enough to take a photo of the little guy, so here's me, a 26 year old kindergartener, drawing you a picture.
I imagine there's lots of types of weevils but your picture has way more of a middle part (thorax?) and my guy doesn't seem to have one, he seems to be entirely this teardrop shape. A lot 'taller' in the side view than that Vancouver weevil too. He's about 1.5mm in that direction.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wow yeah, that is very tick or mite-shaped so I can see why you were concerned about it. If it clearly has antennae though it can't be one...

I have no clue :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's a spider beetle. They can be pests sometimes, or indicate the presence of other pests as they sometimes live in the nests of mice and such, but are generally harmless or a minor nuisance at most. Just make sure there's no infestation in a pantry or something.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

it's a spider beetle. They can be pests sometimes, or indicate the presence of other pests as they sometimes live in the nests of mice and such, but are generally harmless or a minor nuisance at most. Just make sure there's no infestation in a pantry or something.

Ah ha, I checked GIS and that definitely looks like my guy! I see one every couple months in my shower and that's it, so I suppose maybe the drain is hiding something evil. I'm glad to know they're harmless, thanks to you and Mak0rz for your help :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

No problem! I feel like I gave a false lead, but I got the taxonomic order right at least.

:ms:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spent the weekend camping on the Nehalem River in the Oregon Coast Range (Tillamook State Forest to be exact). Not sure exactly what this is, but he landed a few feet away from me when I was drinking some beer. This is a screenshot I zoomed in on to make a lock screen. Will post the original in a bit when I get out of my next meeting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Parasitoid wasp of some some sort. That gal (it's probably a gal) finds caterpillars and such, stings them with a paralyzing venom, and then implants them with eggs which will eat the caterpillar alive from the inside out.

highme
May 25, 2001

She seems sweet.

The original, plus a couple more friends we made. Not pictured is the Bald Eagle that would keep an eye on things way the gently caress up in a tree across the river.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Is that a rough-skinned newt? The ones that exude a crazy potent toxin from their skin?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Just a dragonfly having a rest.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The tree frogs have emerged :frog:

(these were different frogs)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

Is that a rough-skinned newt? The ones that exude a crazy potent toxin from their skin?

That certainly looks like one, but I had no idea about the toxin thing. I used to catch them with some regularity as a kid and play with them, and never had a problem. I was pretty good about washing my hands, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That certainly looks like one, but I had no idea about the toxin thing. I used to catch them with some regularity as a kid and play with them, and never had a problem. I was pretty good about washing my hands, though.
The worst you would have gotten from it would be itchy hands. A lot of animals like that are surprisingly poisonous (no, not venomous) but since the toxins are supposed to discourage predation, they're generally only a problem when ingested. Try to eat one, though, and you're liable to keel over dead. They're full of tetrodotoxin, the stuff that is in badly prepared pufferfish (aka. Fugu).

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 11, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Here's a salamander/amphibian from a hike near the Columbia River gorge.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The tree frogs have emerged :frog:

Extremely jealous of your frogs.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Please tell them I love them

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I, too, saw my first tiny tree frog of the season a few nights ago :frogbon:

highme
May 25, 2001

The Red Queen posted:

Not sure about toxins, but one of them swam up to my friend I was camping with and let her pick it up. She didn’t mention any irritation etc, but wasn’t handling it for long.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

highme posted:

Not sure about toxins, but one of them swam up to my friend I was camping with and let her pick it up. She didn’t mention any irritation etc, but wasn’t handling it for long.

As long as she didn't eat it she's fine. If you eat one you will die.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Notorious Feeder Stalker Stalks Feeders (Cooper's Hawk, I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Happened upon a native cockroach (Ectobius lapponicus) with its ootheca.

Pretty neat!