Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Kalman posted:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August (Catherine Webb) - not strictly time travel, but person living the same time period repeatedly.

I liked this book quite a bit, but I wouldn't really call it light. Lighter than Doomsday Book though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Thom and the Heads posted:

I'm finishing Blood Meridian and would like some...lighter fare.

Y'all got any recs for fun time travel books?

Light and time travel is pretty much To Say Nothing of the Dog. Less light, but not real heavy might be All Our Wrong Todays. Not light: The Gone World. Light but not very good (but written by a local librarian I know) - Time and Tenacity by Hannah Vale. I thought I read more time travel stuff, but it's all escaping me.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

No. No more dancing! posted:

I liked this book quite a bit, but I wouldn't really call it light. Lighter than Doomsday Book though!

I mean, he’s coming off Blood Meridian, *anything* is going to feel light.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

No. No more dancing! posted:

I left it off my list for the same reason. Also nixed Shining Girls and How to Live Safely in a Science Fiction Universe. And Doomsday Book, natch.

You know, not really time travel by The Oracle Year might be an option.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Thanks folks! To Say Nothing of the Dog and The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August are next up. I'm a sucker for "Groundhog Day" stories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Time Wars series by Simon Hawke. They're a series of books set in an alternate future where peace in our time was achieved by fighting all the wars in the past. The alternate history comes in through the premise that various classic novels such as Ivanhoe and The Prisoner of Zenda were actually renditions of true events.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

"All of an Instant", Richard Garfinkle.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kate Atkinson's Life after Life-- A serial lives story like Harry August but imo better in just about any way. (As an aside, if you like serial lives stories, check out House/Powers of X, the X-men relaunch event series from Marvel.)
Octavia Butler's Kindred-- Time travel as a symbol for the chains of history, a black woman from the 70s is drawn back in time to save her white slave owner ancestor in 19th century Maryland. Not fun, but one of the best and most meaningful time travel novels there is.
David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself-- Basically every time travel paradox and motif rolled into one rollicking story with some exploration of sexuality thrown in.
Jack Finney's Time and Again-- Time travel through intense nostalgia for a previous age.
Samuel Delany's Empire Star-- more a time loop than time travel. Also often packaged along with Babel 17, which isn't time travel, but is an interesting novel about language.
Heidi Heilig's The Girl From Everywhere-- YA time travel novel about the relationship between history and identity and a love letter to Hawaii.
William Gibson's The Peripheral-- A return to form for Gibson with time travel as an allegory for borders and exploitation.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

PeterWeller posted:

William Gibson's The Peripheral-- A return to form for Gibson with time travel as an allegory for borders and exploitation.

Return from what exactly :colbert:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Middlegame by Seanan McGuire - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HF2ZK75/

Revenger by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXW2IUQ/

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Started Doomsday Book. Not really a spoiler (flavor about a historical event in the book's past) but I had to post this:

"I'm not used to having my civil liberties taken away like this. In America, nobody would dream of telling you where you can or can't go."
And over thirty million Americans died during the Pandemic as a result of that sort of thinking, he thought.

From 1992. also the pandemic seems to have taken place in the late 2010s/early 20s LOL

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kalman posted:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August (Catherine Webb) - not strictly time travel, but person living the same time period repeatedly.

A lesser known similar book is Ken Grimwood's Replay, in which an ad executive in his 40s has a heart attack and wakes up again in his teenage body, lives out his life super rich because of his knowledge of gambling and stocks, then has a heart attack and this time wakes up a few years later than the last "replay" - and for every jump his "new" lifespan gets increasingly shorter. Really good, enjoyable potboiler that takes the stories in directions I didn't expect it to go.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

General Battuta posted:

Return from what exactly :colbert:

From not writing science fiction, of course. :v:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

how about timeline wars by John Barnes?

Nowhere near as controversial as some of his others, pulpy portal / multidimensional / time travel series

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/313028.The_Time_Line_Wars

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I recently finished Jodi Taylor's Time Police, which is side-novel to her very long Chronicles of St. Mary's series. It's self-contained and a decent introduction to that universe told from the perspective of 3 new recruits. I have only read the first two of her main St. Mary's series but there are a lot of digs at how much they (St. Mary's) gently caress up the timeline.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Freeze Frame Revolution - good.
Axiom's End - awful.
Gideon the Ninth - disappointing.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

TheAardvark posted:

Started Doomsday Book. Not really a spoiler (flavor about a historical event in the book's past) but I had to post this:

"I'm not used to having my civil liberties taken away like this. In America, nobody would dream of telling you where you can or can't go."
And over thirty million Americans died during the Pandemic as a result of that sort of thinking, he thought.

From 1992. also the pandemic seems to have taken place in the late 2010s/early 20s LOL

I forgot all this. I need to go back and reread it.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Axiom's End - awful.

Hmmm, disappointing.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1) by Arkady Martine - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7BCB88/

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

pradmer posted:

A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1) by Arkady Martine

How is this one? The name keeps coming up, but I don't recall much discussion about it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Xotl posted:

How is this one? The name keeps coming up, but I don't recall much discussion about it.

Sort of political thriller in space based on client state relationships in Byzantium. With vaguely mezo American names.

I liked it but not as much happens as you think will.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
E: agree with the above!

It's a mix of investigation, some politics, and some sitting around with some cool world building (it's set in the capital of a space empire, with a very built out culture etc). It kind of reminded me of the later Imperial Radch books (although not quite as well-executed imo).

It is slow-moving, and I know some people have bounced off it on account of that.

I really liked it though, and I think it's worth getting for 2 bucks if the basic concept grabs you.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read it and liked it and would read a sequel.

Its a bit slow paced and I griped about that itt a fair bit.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Xotl posted:

It was grown in a lab to get a Hugo nomination and did so successfully. It's got a couple of interesting ideas, one or two really good scenes, exactly one good twist, a load of tedious filler and a protagonist who really spends a lot of time not doing stuff.

If "queer, anti-imperialist, people of colour in space," is sufficient to get you to read a book, check it out. Otherwise give it a pass.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I liked it a lot more than the Radch books past the first. "Here are a couple historical things that most people don't know set in the spacefuture to make them more relatable to modern audiences, your main character is a diplomat who couldn't punch her way out of a paper bag, so she's going to sit around and drink tea and think about things" is a lot more palatable to me than "Here is a huge high concept about immortality and self and gender, the main character is the physical embodiment of a warship and a killbot, but instead of doing something interesting with either of those we're just going to sit around and drink tea and think about things".

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

pradmer posted:

A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1) by Arkady Martine - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7BCB88/

It’s good and definitely worth reading. It is politics not space lasers all the time, but it’s an interesting story and setting.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

It did a good job of capturing the messy conflicting emotions around living next to an empire--they're super cool, you watch all their tv, but you really don't want them to conquer your home--and just being in a foreign land more generally. But I'm an easy mark, and I'll admit I totally cheered when she finally got to write a poem.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ceebees posted:

I liked it a lot more than the Radch books past the first. "Here are a couple historical things that most people don't know set in the spacefuture to make them more relatable to modern audiences, your main character is a diplomat who couldn't punch her way out of a paper bag, so she's going to sit around and drink tea and think about things" is a lot more palatable to me than "Here is a huge high concept about immortality and self and gender, the main character is the physical embodiment of a warship and a killbot, but instead of doing something interesting with either of those we're just going to sit around and drink tea and think about things".

I didn't pick up on this, could you elaborate please?

EDIT: Oh, I thought this applied to the Ancillary books, sorry.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Freeze Frame Revolution - good.
Axiom's End - awful.
Gideon the Ninth - disappointing.

I liked Axiom's End alright. Nothing incredible, but it's fine.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm having trouble sticking with Raft because of the prose/characters. It's.. not very good. Does Baxter's writing get better quickly or is he just not for me?

The world and situation are pretty fascinating but man can not live on ideas alone.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think Raft is generally a lot rougher than his later work, but he doesn't ever get really good at the prose and character thing.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I read the Xeelee Sequence (first 4 xeelee books) and I absolutely hated it. It was a struggle to finish (I know I don't have to finish a book but it was more out of spite).

If you don't like, I suggest stopping. The prose does not change and those big ideas do not pay off either.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nondescript Van posted:

I read the Xeelee Sequence (first 4 xeelee books) and I absolutely hated it. It was a struggle to finish (I know I don't have to finish a book but it was more out of spite).

If you don't like, I suggest stopping. The prose does not change and those big ideas do not pay off either.
Did you read Vacuum Diagrams? Because that's the only one of Baxter's works I'd actively recommend (it's a short story collection, spanning time and all set in the Xeelee universe) and if you already read the bad books you might as well get the good one done.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Sounds like my mid-lap swap to Doomsday Book was a good call. It's very charming.

Also drat, Connie Willis has 4 best novel Hugo's? I'll have to read more of her.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did you read Vacuum Diagrams? Because that's the only one of Baxter's works I'd actively recommend (it's a short story collection, spanning time and all set in the Xeelee universe) and if you already read the bad books you might as well get the good one done.

I think I would have liked Vacuum Diagrams better if they didn't have the framing story that keep contorting to try and justify the why of each story. As it is I stopped at the one in the living plant tree universe?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

Sounds like my mid-lap swap to Doomsday Book was a good call. It's very charming.

Also drat, Connie Willis has 4 best novel Hugo's? I'll have to read more of her.

I really liked her Passage, which I found genuinely chilling in parts.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJZDJ8Y/

The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6HYNGE/

Lot of Discworld books by Terry Pratchett - $4.99 each
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYGGG76/

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hugo Awards livestream is about to start, if you're interested.

https://watch.thefantasy.network/the-2020-hugo-awards-livestream/

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
oh god grrm is the host

also he just said that saudi arabia and china are bidding for WorldCon hosting rights lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TheAardvark posted:

oh god grrm is the host

He's got quite a sense of fashion.