Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Cragheart and Brute should be able to combo with just about anybody.

Tinkerer is a little bit behind the power curve but can do just fine for a starting character with any of the other starter classes.

Scoundrel really, really wants another melee character in the mix, preferably a beefy one.

Spellweaver and Mindthief both appreciate having someone to take heat off them, but can live without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
The real answer is to get a copy of JotL and have four new starting classes to play with.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Aggro posted:

The real answer is to get a copy of JotL and have four new starting classes to play with.

can you transfer them right away or do you need to unlock something in JotL first?

edit: nvm, this doesn't seem like an option without paying double retail for JotL

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They come right over. JotL comes with a number of intro cards that you're supposed to use for the first few scenarios, but right past them are the normal level 1 & X cards so you can go to town.

Anyway, just about any combo will work out fine, just with some characters taking on funnier roles if you go that route. Scoundrel loves another character that'll stand in melee with them, and a mindthief is a very funny 1-2 punch.

Our current group that's wrapping up the game is currently those two + diviner + another locked class that can't take a hit. It's pretty funny when your tankiest character is randomly going invisible

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

can you transfer them right away or do you need to unlock something in JotL first?

edit: nvm, this doesn't seem like an option without paying double retail for JotL

double retail? my target had 12 on the shelf yesterday

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

If anyone is going to bring the Jaws classes to Gloomhaven, you should probably consider house-ruling "Ignore Negative Item Effects" onto the Red Guard. Either give him a 16th perk or add it on to one of his other perks.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I hope anyone not down for rules chat has me on ignore already.

I was doing a post mortem of my own reasoning and I think it comes back to the rulebook being poo poo at times.

Here's a timg of the Area Attack rules because the visual layout is important IMO. There isn't any example given for a target adjacent/target all within range card.

The first paragraph sucks rear end. This bolding is my own to highlight where it sucks rear end.

quote:

Some attacks and other abilities allow figures to target multiple hexes or multiple targets at the same time. In these cases, the area of effect for the ability is shown on the ability card. Note that any rotational orientation of the depicted diagram is valid. Also note that each target constitutes a separate attack (drawing its own attack modifier card), but all attacks together make up a single attack action.

So the first paragraph due to poor gave me the strong impression that to be an official Area of Effect Attacktm, the card must have a hex pattern diagram. It doesn't specifically clarify that target all range X/target adjacent are still considered Area Attacks.

The next bit of examples of cards is fine.

The Target X paragraph is ok. Not sure how exactly but in combination with back and forth flipping, the FAQ, time and poor memory the association that you have to follow through with an attack on a target broke. I think it's if an AoE strictly has to have a hex diagram thanks to para 1, and Target X is the only example given of an area attack that's not a hex diagram attack, anything that doesn't have a hex diagram must fall under the Target X rules because "target all adjacent" and "target X" are a hell of a lot closer together than binary has hex pattern/doesn't have hex pattern.

also the FAQ on this is real bad

quote:

from what you can't skip
* Individual targets of an AoE attack - if you do the attack, all eligible targets in the area must be attacked. Note that Add Target and Target X are not AoE abilities and can be skipped. For Target X, you may attack less than X targets.
* Charges and their effects of a multi-use item or ability if the triggering conditions have been met

You may skip any other ability or effect, including some or all effects attached to an attack but you must chose to do so BEFORE drawing an attack modifier card. Some modifier cards have their own attack effects and you can choose to apply them after you draw if they qualify as optional effects.

Seriously just break it into multiple lines and stick them all at the bottom together.

quote:

* Charges and their effects of a multi-use item or ability if the triggering conditions have been met.
* Individual targets of an AoE attack - if you do the attack, all eligible targets in the area must be attacked.
* Add Target and Target X are not AoE abilities and can be skipped. For Target X, you may attack less than X targets. See below for Add Target.

You may skip any other ability or effect, including some or all effects attached to an attack but you must chose to do so BEFORE drawing an attack modifier card. Some modifier cards have their own attack effects and you can choose to apply them after you draw if they qualify as optional effects.

Add Target can be both an attack ability and an attack modifier effect. You can choose not to use either kind of Add Target, but you must decide either before drawing an attack modifier card for the initial attack, or after an Add Target attack modifier has been drawn. If you have chosen to use an Add Target ability or effect, you must perform the additional attack if there is a valid target for the additional attack. Any Add Target additional attacks are still part of the same attack action and cannot target an enemy who has already been targeted during the same attack action, are out of range or out of line of sight.

And would it have killed them to throw in a "what is an area attack" bit where they're clarifying the differences between attack actions, attack abilities, attacks, and just say "both hex pattern attacks and 'target all enemies where..." instructions are area attacks. All valid enemy targets who are targeted must be attacked.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 31, 2020

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I agree the rules could and should be written better, but the whole discussion seemed to be about trying to find a way to rules lawyer your way out of having to attack all when the card says attack all.
Whole argument seemed pointless to me. Just do the obvious thing. If you want to house rule it then go for it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ChocolatePancake posted:

I agree the rules could and should be written better, but the whole discussion seemed to be about trying to find a way to rules lawyer your way out of having to attack all when the card says attack all.
Whole argument seemed pointless to me. Just do the obvious thing. If you want to house rule it then go for it.
Or just accept that there'll be table variations for what's mostly a corner case.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Our struggles continue, this time with Scenario 87, and boy was it tough. Veteran Cragheart, nicely seasoned Angry-Face, and still rookie Scoundrel and Two-Minis. Our teamwork was less than stellar, and the scenario was tough.

Had we known about the special rules for the Giant Ooze, we would just have taken Trickster's Reversal and Smoke Bomb, which would have enabled the Scoundrel to set up and then do an Attack 40 against 9 shield, with advantage thanks to Flurry of Blades bottom. As it was, we struggled.

Our team composition is not the best for the Scoundrel, but he didn't want to play Sun after Brute. He's got the Fleabitten Shawl (treated as Iniative 99 for AI targeting), but I am beginning to think that Invisibility Cloak might be the better choice until someone retires and picks up Sun.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

boar guy posted:

The problem with being target exclusive is that for some people the nearest target is 6000 miles away.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Jimbozig posted:

The problem with being target exclusive is that for some people the nearest target is 6000 miles away.

Good news. As of next month, it is no longer Target-exclusive.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zurai posted:

Good news. As of next month, it is no longer Target-exclusive.
Local game stores (at least in the States) are already getting shipments of it, but I think they're not supposed to sell it until tomorrow.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

We got beyond the baby-mode early scenarios in JotL and two completely unspoilery take-aways :

1). After playing literally all of Gloomhaven and FC, somehow scenario 6 just totally kicked our asses. Maybe we were just getting cocky or something? It literally ended with all but one character exhausted, and that character had 3 health and only two cards. loving nail-biting.

2). I am absolutely in love with the Hatchet. The mechanics just feel so good.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

WhiteHowler posted:

Local game stores (at least in the States) are already getting shipments of it, but I think they're not supposed to sell it until tomorrow.

The major Finnish TTG retailer claims on their website that they'll have it on Tuesday. I placed an order, we'll see how it goes.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

boar guy posted:

Keep in mind that it should be showing up internationally and at local game stores in the next few days, as Target only had an exclusive on it until August. That should boost the supply out in the wild considerably!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Gloomhaven arrived today. Assembled the broken token organizer.

Got all set up to get the whole family playing.

Just to go over the rule book. Wait, rule book? No, no rulebook. Just not in the box. gently caress, okay, find the PDF well maybe that’s okay.

Youngest Mango going to play Brute, first box opened. No Action deck. Card, player sheet, player tokens, brute modifier deck. No actual cards to play with. gently caress.

Trying to print and cut cards now so maybe we can play tomorrow. On regular dang printer paper.

Should I just open all the boxes to see what else is missing?

I assume Celpophair support will take months and months to handle this.

Any words of wisdom to not burn out the family before we play one scenario?

Going to run Brute with my youngest (who will get lots of help), older will play Cragheart, Mrs Mango tinkerer and I’ll be scoundrel.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I forget where exactly the base attack decks are, but they aren't in the character boxes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I forget where exactly the base attack decks are, but they aren't in the character boxes.

yeah the base attack decks are just packed in with the other cards. the modifiers that you add as you play are what's in the character boxes

also as someone who has played Gloomhaven with several different kids- do not make them sit there while you go through the rulebook. that's something you do with the internet and a beer in hand for a few hours before you play.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

boar guy posted:

yeah the base attack decks are just packed in with the other cards. the modifiers that you add as you play are what's in the character boxes

also as someone who has played Gloomhaven with several different kids- do not make them sit there while you go through the rulebook. that's something you do with the internet and a beer in hand for a few hours before you play.

This is true of all games and all target ages. Never, ever, ever try to learn and teach a game at the same time. It's the most boring, frustrating thing in the world that will immediately turn anyone off.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think they mean the Brute's ability card deck, not the attack modifier deck (which yes are wrapped separately).

Ultimate Mango posted:

I assume Celpophair support will take months and months to handle this.

fwiw from what I've heard they actually are pretty responsive and have a good turn around time. I was lucky and didn't have any of these problems tho.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

It sounds like they mean no Brute ability cards but it's unclear

OP I would check at least the other starter class envelopes, and yeah make sure you use the 20-card attack modifier decks labeled 1, 2, 3, or 4 and not the attack modifiers in the envelopes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is true of all games and all target ages. Never, ever, ever try to learn and teach a game at the same time. It's the most boring, frustrating thing in the world that will immediately turn anyone off.

jaws of the lion attempts to give you a way to do this but it's still realllllly tedious. explaining monster movement and status effects for 45 minutes after playing two fun scenarios that took a half hour total is a great way to kill any fun anyone's having. if you get something wrong, it's no big deal, the first scenarios are low stakes anyway and give you a chance to gently caress up, realize and then fix it before the rules are super important

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have the four base attack modified decks. The Brute ability cards were not in the Brute box. There was also no rule book in the box.

I peeked in the other character boxes and they seemed to all be the ability decks in them. I did not look in detail as I don’t want to spoil the surprises.

I was able to print out the Brute ability cards but my printer choked on the rule book, not surprising there.

I’m using the gloomhaven helper app to help but we are still learning. It’s definitely slow going with four players. I can see how sub optimal play means you could run out of cards given the number of enemies in the whole scenario.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Man, Scenario 72 was an utter nightmare. We won on our first try, but it came down to the wire. Real happy that I had just managed to enchant Curse on Dirt Tornado.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I brought my level 9 spell weaver to scenario 72. We failed it our first try, so we waited until I got that last level and did it again. Really trivialized the encounter being able to kill all the monsters on the board in 2 rounds.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Warden posted:

Man, Scenario 72 was an utter nightmare. We won on our first try, but it came down to the wire. Real happy that I had just managed to enchant Curse on Dirt Tornado.

Same it was a real nightmare for me too, but I also beat it on my first try because we brought a lvl 9 Sun and lvl 9 Eclipse. The Eclipse allows for a bit of divide & conquer by going after 1 tree by himself invisible all the time.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

alkanphel posted:

Same it was a real nightmare for me too, but I also beat it on my first try because we brought a lvl 9 Sun and lvl 9 Eclipse. The Eclipse allows for a bit of divide & conquer by going after 1 tree by himself invisible all the time.

We had L6 Two-Mini, L6 Scoundrel, L6 Cragheart (me) and L5 Angry-Face, so Scenario level 3. I think we could have very likely lost without my Curse-enchanted Dirt Tornado, plus me taking a huge gamble at one point by purposefully taking hits while using the bottom loss of Kinetic Assault (Retaliate 3 Range 3) to annihilate a whole bunch of low-hp enemies. They were muddled and there were like six or seven curses in the monster attack modifier deck at the moment, otherwise it would have been a near-suicide. I also managed one really solid play by dashing into the midst of enemies to play Cataclysm and using invisibility cloak to avoid getting mauled.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
Hey everyone, we are going to shake up things a bit in the Gloomhaven LP Tread (or not, depending on how you vote): We are considering having one of our characters be directly controlled by the goon-mind with thread votes!

So please if you are interested let us hear your opinion!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone know how to contact Cephalofair support? I tried the support email in the kickstarter notifications about my missing rule book and action cards and I’ve heard nothing....

Edit: there is a google form you have to fill out apparently. Ugh.

Ultimate Mango fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 6, 2020

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

How do items work in JotL? If something says to Gain Item or Reward: Item I know you only get one copy of that item. My question is - if there are more than one copies of the items does the other go to the shop or you have to wait for it in the future form another reward?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Pretty sure it's the latter. I know there's one item you can gain two copies from separate sources.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's for sure the latter, you just get 1 copy of the item and any other copies remain locked. This comes up sometimes in base Gloomhaven as well

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

That Italian Guy posted:

Hey everyone, we are going to shake up things a bit in the Gloomhaven LP Tread (or not, depending on how you vote): We are considering having one of our characters be directly controlled by the goon-mind with thread votes!

So please if you are interested let us hear your opinion!

I can confirm that the thread has voted to impose its will onto one of our heroes from now on! This Scenario, it'll be our Mindthief. We are picking her starting hand right now. Spoiler note: we have a Two Minis in our party and we are doing Scenario 6 so be warned before you click on the link above if that's something you'd rather not get spoiled on.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I bought this game two years ago and haven’t ever opened it. Since then I moved and have a decent gaming group now so I want to learn and run this in the near future. I guess I bought the sinister fish removable sticker pack too, but was wondering what else do I need to have a fresh play through after running it solo and learning the ropes?

Also, I read the OP for storage solutions and there’s soooo many. What’s the threads’ consensus best option?

And should I pick up any expansions? Can that stuff be used right away or does that content show up later in a campaign?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I bought this game two years ago and haven’t ever opened it. Since then I moved and have a decent gaming group now so I want to learn and run this in the near future. I guess I bought the sinister fish removable sticker pack too, but was wondering what else do I need to have a fresh play through after running it solo and learning the ropes?

Also, I read the OP for storage solutions and there’s soooo many. What’s the threads’ consensus best option?

And should I pick up any expansions? Can that stuff be used right away or does that content show up later in a campaign?

you don't need anything else for a fresh playthrough (pencils?) but the Gloomhaven Helper app is strongly recommended, saves a ton of time on setup and managing the chits for monster HP and conditions can get onerous. you don't actually need to use the map board as you play, either, you can easily track what scenarios you've done with a piece of paper (i think sinister fish gives you a URL to download one from). if you don't intend to play twice, the completed map could make a cool souvenir of the campaign- i've seen people frame their Pandemic Legacy boards when they are done and it's pretty neat.

i love the Broken Token organizer but it was $100. I think most people are using a Plano box and an accordion folder for the large terrain tiles

there aren't any expansions yet, really, besides Forgotten Circles, which is designed to be played after the main campaign. Jaws of the Lion doesn't directly tie in that i have seen yet, and Frosthaven isn't a direct expansion either. there are solo scenarios available as well, the culminations of which are rad new items for each character.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I concur with the Gloomhaven Helper app recommendation and the plano-and-accordion-folder storage solution. Both are big improvements in setup/teardown time over standard, and they're both cheap (GHH is free/shareware, the storage stuff will run you like ten bucks).

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
As a middle ground, the Tower Rex organizer was only $55 and I’ve been very happy with it.

And Gloomhaven Helper is invaluable. I can’t imagine playing without it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit: never mind

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
2nd Printing Diviner cards are now available for purchase from DriveThruCards. Shipping is more expensive than the cards.

Here in Central IL it cost under $10 with a deck box that I probably didn't need.

https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/323403/Forgotten-Circles-Diviner-Ability-Deck-2nd-Printing

(edit: And if you're not in the USA, it'd probably be a lot better to find a local place and print the cards unless you are willing to shell out crazy amounts for shipping. Not that this should be a surprise by now.)

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 18, 2020