Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jjk can sometimes be just as violent as csm (which is really saying something), but in every other respect it can't quite measure up to csm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyre both living their best lives, quickly killing off characters after teasing that they may be important.
Also what JJK lacks in violence relative to CSM, it makes up for in body horror. loving Mahito

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Y'all are making me want to try out JJK

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Agreed. It’s just so different from what you normally get with Jump. Even Jujutsu Kaisen, a manga with similar sketchy art style and demons, is structured like a much more traditional shonen. Not to demean JJK, it’s my second favorite thing in Jump, but CSM just feels more...grown up? I think? It’s definitely darker.

I'll admit that I've only read about ten, twenty chapters into JJK (didn't have any real dislike of it, just didn't do it for me) and it's definitely... more standard. JJK's got the mystical secret organization, the hero getting drawn into it from ordinary life, the supporting cast of oddballs, the concrete quest, the recurring baddies, whole thing. It feels like a more violent traditional shonen.

And there's nothing wrong with that! MHA is a very traditional shonen, and it's putting in good work right now. A conventional structure gives a story a solid spine to build around.

Chainsaw Man, meanwhile, is its own thing, to the point of sometimes clearly swerving from, or even parodying the standard Shonen Jump formula. (The DREAM BATTLE is hard to take as anything but aimed at One Piece.)

Chainsaw Man's got an organization, but even aside from Makima's shadiness it's just shown as a regular-rear end job. Good pay and benefits, lovely life expectancy, lots of paperwork. You don't work to be an "A Rank". You work to earn enough of a bonus to buy a car.

Denji's drawn into the organization from outside it, but the fantastical elements (Devils and the killing thereof) are less new to him than the mundane elements. He needs exposition on things in the plot like fiends, but that's because he also needs exposition on the fact that, normally, teenagers go to this thing called "school".

Chainsaw Man's got oddballs in the cast, but the high turnover means you can't rely on them. The scene at the bar with the Special Fourth division is pretty stock. You meet a bunch of people, you learn a little about them, and you expect to see them turn up from time to time to interact with the six "core" Devil Hunters from the hotel.

Then almost everyone dies, including Himeno, who was presented as one of the leads. (And who Fujimoto seems to quite like, from her appearances in bonus material.) Before half a year is up, we learn to treat every single character except Denji, Power, and Aki as disposable. Background agents are dead men walking, even if you grow to like them, even if they're fleshed out, and the talk about how dangerous the job is doesn't just act as flavor to show how brave and skilled the survivors are.

The quest for Gun Devil parts ends almost as soon as it's introduced, with the Katana arc ending with the recovery of enough parts to end the need for more. Despite the hotel suggesting a structure (Denji's team hunts a powerful Devil, retrieves a piece, gets closer to finding Gun, repeat), the manga blows away along with most of division 4.

Villains are similarly unlikely to survive their intro arc. Instead of a concrete villain organization, you get various actors independently causing mass death. You kill Reze, that's just the USSR's best agent being out of the fight. Germany, China, and the USA will still have their own assassins later.

JJK wants to put its own spin on the Shonen Jump battle manga formula. Chainsaw Man just saw a bunch of Tarantino and 70s horror movies and wants to find out if there's any limit to what Shihei Rin will approve.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

CodfishCartographer posted:

It’s good, and you should

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I managed to miss that it's a break week so now I'm not sure what's the greater suffering: reading the current events of Chainsaw Man or having to wait another week on top of the one I just waited.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

you should it's solid, not a genre buster but perfectly serviceable. It took up the spot Promised Neverland did in my weekly rotation

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I'll admit that I've only read about ten, twenty chapters into JJK (didn't have any real dislike of it, just didn't do it for me) and it's definitely... more standard. JJK's got the mystical secret organization, the hero getting drawn into it from ordinary life, the supporting cast of oddballs, the concrete quest, the recurring baddies, whole thing. It feels like a more violent traditional shonen.

And there's nothing wrong with that! MHA is a very traditional shonen, and it's putting in good work right now. A conventional structure gives a story a solid spine to build around.

Chainsaw Man, meanwhile, is its own thing, to the point of sometimes clearly swerving from, or even parodying the standard Shonen Jump formula. (The DREAM BATTLE is hard to take as anything but aimed at One Piece.)

Chainsaw Man's got an organization, but even aside from Makima's shadiness it's just shown as a regular-rear end job. Good pay and benefits, lovely life expectancy, lots of paperwork. You don't work to be an "A Rank". You work to earn enough of a bonus to buy a car.

Denji's drawn into the organization from outside it, but the fantastical elements (Devils and the killing thereof) are less new to him than the mundane elements. He needs exposition on things in the plot like fiends, but that's because he also needs exposition on the fact that, normally, teenagers go to this thing called "school".

Chainsaw Man's got oddballs in the cast, but the high turnover means you can't rely on them. The scene at the bar with the Special Fourth division is pretty stock. You meet a bunch of people, you learn a little about them, and you expect to see them turn up from time to time to interact with the six "core" Devil Hunters from the hotel.

Then almost everyone dies, including Himeno, who was presented as one of the leads. (And who Fujimoto seems to quite like, from her appearances in bonus material.) Before half a year is up, we learn to treat every single character except Denji, Power, and Aki as disposable. Background agents are dead men walking, even if you grow to like them, even if they're fleshed out, and the talk about how dangerous the job is doesn't just act as flavor to show how brave and skilled the survivors are.

The quest for Gun Devil parts ends almost as soon as it's introduced, with the Katana arc ending with the recovery of enough parts to end the need for more. Despite the hotel suggesting a structure (Denji's team hunts a powerful Devil, retrieves a piece, gets closer to finding Gun, repeat), the manga blows away along with most of division 4.

Villains are similarly unlikely to survive their intro arc. Instead of a concrete villain organization, you get various actors independently causing mass death. You kill Reze, that's just the USSR's best agent being out of the fight. Germany, China, and the USA will still have their own assassins later.

JJK wants to put its own spin on the Shonen Jump battle manga formula. Chainsaw Man just saw a bunch of Tarantino and 70s horror movies and wants to find out if there's any limit to what Shihei Rin will approve.

While it's obviously more "typical" than CSM (which doesn't follow that template at all), I would characterize it as far less typical than something like MHA. The general way the plot progresses is pretty unique, and the characters are generally much better than the ones in other shounen battle manga (including MHA; I like MHA, but it sticks fairly closely to character archetypes).

I actually like how the JJK protagonist is superficially similar to other shounen protagonists, but is actually quite different. He's not motivated as much by some great altruism/heroism as he is a desire to keep his connections with other people (and ensure he "dies surrounded by loved ones," which is fundamentally selfish in a way), and he's generally a pretty cool/chill guy who sorta comes off as more confident than most other shounen protags (who are either burning spirit types or heroic types who can still be kind of awkward socially).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's very self-actualized, but that isn't actually all that useful to his new supernatural lifestyle.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I actually like how the JJK protagonist is superficially similar to other shounen protagonists, but is actually quite different. He's not motivated as much by some great altruism/heroism as he is a desire to keep his connections with other people (and ensure he "dies surrounded by loved ones," which is fundamentally selfish in a way), and he's generally a pretty cool/chill guy who sorta comes off as more confident than most other shounen protags (who are either burning spirit types or heroic types who can still be kind of awkward socially).

He also wants others to die "proper deaths", which is fairly altruistic. He doesn't always succeed (like Survey Corps recruits and Devil Hunters, Jujutsu Sorceror is a career where you meet a bad end as a matter of course) but he's looking out for others, in his way. Like a lot of Jujutsu Kaisen, it's got a distinct spin to the usual Shonen fight manga, but it's a distinct path to the same functional endpoint. If we compare the genre to a multi-walled city with DBZ or One Piece in the center, Jujutsu's in the outer districts, facing different risks, but belonging to the same society.

(Meanwhile, Chainsaw Man is across the ocean merrily running away and laughing as it commits war crimes before murdering a beloved character when you thought everyone was safe. Bless.)

Going back to Chainsaw Man, I was thinking about the earlier arcs, and one thing stood out as really weird with later reveals.

Where the hell did Katana Man get his heart?

Hybrids are incredibly rare, supposedly. We've only got four in the manga. Denji's Makima's trump card, and a big enough deal to make every world power go all-in to deny her that asset, even when they were waiting to see what she'd do until they found out about Chainsaw.

Reze is the most feared agent in the whole USSR, the product of years of horrific human experimentation. A healthy chunk of its GDP went to making her, and even random devils know her reputation.

Quanxi is known as The First Devilhunter, China's most feared freelancer and the global hand-to-hand champion. However she picked up the crossbow, she's had it for a long, long time. (Which probably is part of the reason she's so attached to her fiends. When you have to get used to all the humans you know getting old and dying, the constants matter a lot more.)

But Katana? Katana's just some Yakuza brat who got a high power devil for his heart out of nowhere, and quite recently. Even more recently than Denji, since he got it installed to go after our hero for revenge. Which... is weird. When the other three hybrids are major strategic assets, he's just some rear end in a top hat. Obvious question is, how did he get that power?

Obvious answer, of course, is Miss Makima. But... that's just because it's easy to blame everything on Makima. (Being morally ambiguous, powerful, and intentionally mysterious makes people assume things). Not even Kishibe accused her of setting up this little dance. She just let the music play out. And if she could create hybrids at will, it's odd to use the power once on an incompetent enemy rather than making another reliable asset like Denji. Further, it's a showy move of the kind that could get her in major trouble with her bosses. It's not impossible, but it requires a lot of assumptions that don't feel reliable.

And that puts us back at the start. With an unexplained hybrid.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The blonde girl that gets chumped and became a makima chain puppet supposedly set them up as an emissary of the gun devil? I think thats the explanation. He wanted to get revenge on chainsaw man and the girl wants chainsaw man's heart so the gun devil is like hey have this katana devil.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always wondered how long-lived Quanxi must be to have been considered the first ever Devil Hunter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I always wondered how long-lived Quanxi must be to have been considered the first ever Devil Hunter.

Well, Quanxi's official name in the Taiwanese release is apparently 光熙, which isn't a modern name per se... but it is a label for the year 306 AD, in the Jin dynasty, with the Three Kingdoms era still in living memory.

If that's accurate, she's over 1,600 years old by the present day. Which plays off other knowledge we've picked up in some interesting implications.

1) Since she implies she'd met Makima back when she and Kishibe were working together, that might explain why Makima was so quick to come to grips with Denji's deal if she's not a hybrid herself. Seeing a devil turn human would make her go "Oh, like Quanxi, except this one doesn't hate me yet." rather than "What is this?"

2) Kishibe was a loving monster in his mad dog days. If he thought he was the best ever and he was partnered with a thousand year old combat pro, he's got to have been pretty drat good.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i hope devils havent been around for 1600 years like this because that will give me tokyo ghoul flashbacks where i think, "theres no way society would function anything like this or develop like this with all these monsters for so long" and then i have to turn my brain off

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

If that's accurate, she's over 1,600 years old by the present day. Which plays off other knowledge we've picked up in some interesting implications.

Given that she appears to be the arrow hybrid, a fairly archaic fear, that makes a certain amount of sense.

Relin posted:

i hope devils havent been around for 1600 years like this because that will give me tokyo ghoul flashbacks where i think, "theres no way society would function anything like this or develop like this with all these monsters for so long" and then i have to turn my brain off

I could totally see demons as having always been a thing, but having been a relatively minor threat or unknown until the advent of mass media commodified fear.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heck, chainsaw devil probably didn't even exist until horror movies started using chainsaws. they are a specialized power tool, not a weapon. i'm sure lumberjacks had a healthy fear of them, but that's not exactly a huge population.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

heck, chainsaw devil probably didn't even exist until horror movies started using chainsaws. they are a specialized power tool, not a weapon. i'm sure lumberjacks had a healthy fear of them, but that's not exactly a huge population.

Why devils fear the chainsaw devil? Evil dead. No one fucks with Ash.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Relin posted:

Remember that Devils only come to Earth when they die in Hell. The current situation is probably Chainsaw's fault.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

This is very likely the actual answer.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I think that we may be close to some major plot and background reveals after this current fight concludes. So much major poo poo just happened, along with the reveal that we're still in the nineties, that I can't imagine we don't get a exposition dump or a time skip after this.

Then again, this is the fire punch author so anything is possible.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

If Chainsaw man does a timeskip i'd prefer for it to be the kind where Denji isn't really present for it. Like maybe the Door is to hell and he goes through it to go bring back Power and there's time dilation so they come back and boom everything's different.

Power better not get mind-wiped though that'd be lame.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

LostRook posted:

I could totally see demons as having always been a thing, but having been a relatively minor threat or unknown until the advent of mass media commodified fear.

yeah it was mentioned that after the gun devil showed up the first time, devils as a whole got a power boost

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, knowing the author this is highly likely to not be a joke answer.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

HenryEx posted:

Yeah, knowing the author this is highly likely to not be a joke answer.

And that fact says a lot about this manga. It's really drat good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Evil Dead has come up in interviews, and Fujimoto has said that he loves it, but he put the Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a bigger influence on him.

At any rate, even aside from the Gun Devil, it's a plot point that the Special Fourth is continually going through shitstorms that even Public Safety Devil Hunters are shocked by. What most people think of when they think of Devils are that weird grape eyeball monster Violence grabbed out of the wall and the tiny puddle thing Denji killed as his job audition.

From the second chapter on, we've been in the deep end.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just binge read all of Fire Punch and hot drat that was real fukkin good. Not something I'd probably recommend very easily, if at all, but I really dug it.

To ensure I've got the lore right, and spoilering in case anyone hasn't read it yet: like 300 years ago, most of humanity were basically undying gods, but then an ice age was starting so they decided to gently caress off to space and left the few non-gods behind. A couple of the more godlike people stayed behind and eventually resulted in Judah, Sulya, Luna, Agni, and maybe Sun? Sulya wanted to restart life so she could finish Star Wars, and so she decided to use Judah to become a bigass tree that can do that. Judah is maybe Luna but it's never really clear, she has old memories but it's also established that memories are pretty fluid and "you become what you want to be" is a major theme so it wouldn't surprise me if she was Luna but with false memories.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 28, 2020

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
The Future is Best, part 79:
https://imgur.com/a/nTea6WL

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m sad and it’s just the cover page.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Aww, the future devil cares :unsmith:

And we finally learn more about kishibe

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The Kishibe side story is funny and sad.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Aww hell it's dusty in here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yep. Another week, another edition of... well. Chainsaw Man.

Nice to see Denji's appreciated. Even with the worst happening, he's got people rooting for him.

...Oh, and right. Chainsaw Man continues to be a manga that keeps its promises. Power is definitely in trouble.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 31, 2020

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

The last 3 pages are extras for Volume 8, not part of the chapter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

The last 3 pages are extras for Volume 8, not part of the chapter.

I was just about to edit and correct that after finding out.

Still. Hell of a chapter.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Read it and I like everyone giving their blood to Denji. At that point he can't back down anymore, but drat was this a really depressing chapter.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Theme music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmA0_F9XuII

Silver lining: Denji can now get laid. It only took slaying his best friend in the name of peace.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 31, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:smith:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Power survived? Guess Makima kept her word!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the future devil had us all thinking he was interested in aki when he really just wanted a front-row seat to denji's misery

that zany trickster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The Future Devil's an rear end in a top hat!