Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cena Bryan at summerslam is a 6 star match and the best wwe match ever don’t care what Dave says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

4 3/4, i had to deal with a few weeks of hulkamatts incredulity it didnt get full fiver

He did not rate that match ****3/4, I can't find if he did rate it but I doubt he went over four, most people didn't.

Edit: I checked he went ****1/4.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

He did not rate that match ****3/4, I can't find if he did rate it but I doubt he went over four, most people didn't.

Edit: I checked he went ****1/4.

was this the manhattan mayhem 2 match or the eyepatch match i think im mixing them up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

was this the manhattan mayhem 2 match or the eyepatch match i think im mixing them up

This is the eye patch match at Man Up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what was mm2 rated

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's Bryan's tragic fate to spend the first half of his career in the 2000s when you couldn't pull a 5* rating out of Meltzer with a a pickup truck and a towing cable and the other half in the company that actively tries its best to not have 5* matches in an era where he's giving them away like they're ice cream in a busted freezer.
(Just because your wife will shrivel and die outside of the WWE universe doesn't mean you have to be stuck in there with her Brian. Just look at Jon Moxley).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 4, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

I Before E posted:

That Bryan conversation reminded me that Dave never rated Bryan/Shingo from DGUSA, which makes me ask: what are the best matches Dave never gave a star rating to?

He never rated the Meiko Satomura-Akira Hokuto match which is regarded by a lot of people as being the best Joshi match ever; and therefore once of the greatest matches of all time anywhere ever

Could mention some newer things but the fact of life is that its impossible to watch all modern wrestling and have full understanding around the stories of the people involved without getting mega burnout so I don't blame people that haven't seen really good matches from smaller promotions. Dave didn't rate any of my top five matches from last year and that's because they were all from smaller Joshi promotions that he doesn't cover and I imagine that's the case from some bits of male wrestling as well. In the 2000s it was probably easier but even then when you add in MMA that's still a lot of things to watch.

Part of it is also that Dave has a certain style of matches that he likes and the modern style lends itself to that. He'll post the dumb stuff about how he judges matches "objectively" (which is both impossible; and also is sort of against the point of criticism which is inherently subjective) but like you can watch certain matches and just know that Dave will rate them high. Dude is a big fan of big long epics with big bumps and lots of big moves; and modern wrestling (especially modern New Japan and recent NXT) has been FULL of those.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Red posted:

Hi, here are some questions:

2. Mr. Kennedy was supposedly canned from WWE for being unsafe to work with; were there ever any concerns from other workers while he worked in TNA/IMPACT?

no but only because tna and kennedy's idea for his gimmick was "gonna prove wwe wrong" i dont recall how it ended up shaking out but i dont think he hurt anyone other than himself after this

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I Before E posted:

That Bryan conversation reminded me that Dave never rated Bryan/Shingo from DGUSA, which makes me ask: what are the best matches Dave never gave a star rating to?

many, many lucha matches

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

what was mm2 rated

****3/4.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ok yeah thats what i was thinking of.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Is there even, somewhere, some kind of written criteria on how to rate a match?

I mean, I'd give Punk/Cena 5, but it's largely a gut reaction, and the atmosphere, build-up/story, and intrigue/drama is probably bigger than the actual wrestling, which is very good.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

no, and to be honest, sometimes the build and atmosphere make the match. for instance, i don't think atlantis vs villano iii is a 5* match without ray mendoza in villano's corner and the promo packages where atlantis is swimming with dolphins and villano iii showing all the masks he's won WITH A SPACE JUST FOR YOU, ATLANTIS

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

for me personally, 5 stars are a gut feeling of absolute no doubt that i just saw a 5 star match. ishii shibata from 2013 g1, each of the omega/okada's minus their 3rd match in the g1, omega/ibushi from g1, omega/naito from g1 (and i usually have a difficult time enjoying naito matches), cena/styles from the rumble, and adam cole/johnny gargano 1.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

(and i usually have a difficult time enjoying naito matches)

So it's not just me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why doesn't he just rate them on a 20 point scale then

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Red posted:

So it's not just me.

Its a common opinion you very much arent alone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Why doesn't he just rate them on a 20 point scale then

Why don't video game reviewers use a 100 point scale instead of rating everything a 9.8.

Or why don't they use a 30 point scale since everything falls between 7 and 10.

Lid posted:

Its a common opinion you very much arent alone.

It's a very uncommon opinion since Naito is very popular and his matches are very well reviewed both in the US and Japan.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It's a very uncommon opinion since Naito is very popular and his matches are very well reviewed both in the US and Japan.

1. Nothing about him appeals to me at all. EVIL at least has a neat look, even if I don't like his matches.
2. I hate to criticize any wrestler's apperance, but Naito looks like a rat who got his wish and became a man.
3. I understand why Ishii is in the position he's in, but I mean, come on. The guy is amazing, and deserves a run on top before he retires. (He's 44, which, in Japan, isn't that old, but still.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

but Naito looks like a rat who got his wish and became a man.

:lmao:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

IceAgeComing posted:

He never rated the Meiko Satomura-Akira Hokuto match which is regarded by a lot of people as being the best Joshi match ever; and therefore once of the greatest matches of all time anywhere ever

Could mention some newer things but the fact of life is that its impossible to watch all modern wrestling and have full understanding around the stories of the people involved without getting mega burnout so I don't blame people that haven't seen really good matches from smaller promotions. Dave didn't rate any of my top five matches from last year and that's because they were all from smaller Joshi promotions that he doesn't cover and I imagine that's the case from some bits of male wrestling as well. In the 2000s it was probably easier but even then when you add in MMA that's still a lot of things to watch.

Part of it is also that Dave has a certain style of matches that he likes and the modern style lends itself to that. He'll post the dumb stuff about how he judges matches "objectively" (which is both impossible; and also is sort of against the point of criticism which is inherently subjective) but like you can watch certain matches and just know that Dave will rate them high. Dude is a big fan of big long epics with big bumps and lots of big moves; and modern wrestling (especially modern New Japan and recent NXT) has been FULL of those.
He also didn't always rate as much stuff as he does now, when he reviews almost every single NJPW show. It was rare that he formally reviewed ROH shows, Japanese indie stuff, etc. There are times where it's very hard to tell what he's actually watching for that reason. Then, one week, out of nowhere, he gets the big GAEA show and reviews the whole thing match by match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

1. Nothing about him appeals to me at all. EVIL at least has a neat look, even if I don't like his matches.
2. I hate to criticize any wrestler's apperance, but Naito looks like a rat who got his wish and became a man.
3. I understand why Ishii is in the position he's in, but I mean, come on. The guy is amazing, and deserves a run on top before he retires. (He's 44, which, in Japan, isn't that old, but still.)

Sorry you don't like great wrestlers, friend. If Ishii would like a run on top I would suggest he become as popular as Naito, the most popular guy in the company.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Sorry you don't like great wrestlers, friend. If Ishii would like a run on top I would suggest he become as popular as Naito, the most popular guy in the company.

Naito is popular, yet attendances crashed as soon as he won the belt 🤔

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

Naito is popular, yet attendances crashed as soon as he won the belt 🤔

How is it his fault Nakanishi retired?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

How is it his fault Nakanishi retired?

Maybe if Nakanishi won the double gold dash he wouldn't have retired

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my dislike for naito matches are my own weird quirk, even i recognize him and lij as being the most popular aspect of the company. my own issue is more just not liking his take on long matches which tend to focus more on people screaming at him to get up than telling a tactical story and his finisher just looking far too unimpactful for my liking. im not saying hes a bad wrestler, i think he's a very good one, just that his matches don't click with me the same way tanahashi's do.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

On that note, could someone please tell me what I'm missing with Jay White?

I'm just not getting it, and I'd appreciate some pointers on what to look for in his matches.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

I'm just not getting it, and I'd appreciate some pointers on what to look for in his matches.

have you tried breathing?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JOHN CENA posted:

have you tried breathing?

with The Switchblade?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Vagabundo posted:

he's a priiiiiiiiick

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

He's really good at counter wrestling and being a detestable sentient collection of slime and grease that has seeped out from some hellish dimension of malice and coalesced into a mockery of the human form.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cerebral Bore posted:

He's really good at counter wrestling and being a detestable sentient collection of slime and grease that has seeped out from some hellish dimension of malice and coalesced into a mockery of the human form.

One of my favorite Jay White things is how he'll just drop to his knees/into a pile on the mat to avoid getting hit by somebody. No flashy escape, nothing exciting – just collapsing to the mat and laying there with a poo poo-eating grin because he's not going to put up with getting hit with another Rainmaker.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgehjej9kU8

Is this just how WWE films now? Is it a result of the pandemic or just a natural end point for Dunn's inability to work cameras? How can anyone watch this without getting sick?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I would love to see Jay White turn face and do lots of chops because while I like him as a heel and his match with Okada at MSG was amazing I really liked the Jay White I saw on excursion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, the Jay White face turn is going to rule because for as great as he's been as a sleazy airbag he's an even better good guy.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgehjej9kU8

Is this just how WWE films now? Is it a result of the pandemic or just a natural end point for Dunn's inability to work cameras? How can anyone watch this without getting sick?

It's been that way for a hot minute with wwe. I've been wondering if that prevents the cameraman from capturing horrible punches or something, making Kevin Dunn a cinematic genius.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IronCladBurrito posted:

It's been that way for a hot minute with wwe. I've been wondering if that prevents the cameraman from capturing horrible punches or something, making Kevin Dunn a cinematic genius.

I believe they started doing it when they switched to HD.

In 2008.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewtrich/status/968941863087550467?lang=en

32 camera cuts in 34 seconds. And the cuts slow down a bit at the end when some loser fuckface nerd enters the ring, so there are points earlier where the camera cuts multiple times per second.

This is how they want their TV show to look. :psyduck:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dunn believes that the #1 strength of his directorial style is that something brand new is happening every second, and the viewer can't possibly get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Jay also has a great ability to get way over his own skis striking with someone like ZSJ does.

Any time you put him with Ibushi or Tanahashi he really shows it off.