Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

General Battuta posted:

Early reviews of Tyrant Baru Cormorant are starting up, it's out next week.

Unless you get the ebook in the UK in which case it's two and a half weeks :argh:

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

General Battuta posted:

Early reviews of Tyrant Baru Cormorant are starting up, it's out next week. Get those preorders in! I'm coming to be pushing it pretty hard here, sorry in advance.

Preordered!

PS- I’d like to request that your next series rips my heart out just slightly less pls if possible

E: Harrow also out and I don’t get why they chose that cover blurb at all! Comparing Muir’s writing to a broken tooth...?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

General Battuta posted:

Get those preorders in! I'm coming to be pushing it pretty hard here, sorry in advance.

Pre-ordered too, reviews sounds super promising. Imo you don't need to apologize for pushing such a good series!

tildes posted:

E: Harrow also out and I don’t get why they chose that cover blurb at all! Comparing Muir’s writing to a broken tooth...?

I guess it's necromancy themed??

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Early reviews of Tyrant Baru Cormorant are starting up, it's out next week. Get those preorders in! I'm coming to be pushing it pretty hard here, sorry in advance.

No need to apologize! I'm pretty pumped to read it, in an "oh god what next" kind of way

tildes posted:

PS- I’d like to request that your next series rips my heart out just slightly less pls if possible

also this

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I blitzed through Harrow over the weekend and enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely a lot less straightforward than Gideon, and I suspect some people are going to bounce off it because it's not as much of a romp as Gideon was, but I'm super excited to see how it all wraps up in Alecto.

Also my local bookstores still can't give me a confirmed release date for Baru 3, so I'm probably going to have to resort to Amazon skulduggery to get my hands on it.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Wee Free Men (Discworld #30) by Terry Pratchett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R33QWY/

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YFIV5Y/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

General Battuta posted:

Fine, fine, if you insist...*checks notes*

Oh, right.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

Also my local bookstores still can't give me a confirmed release date for Baru 3, so I'm probably going to have to resort to Amazon skulduggery to get my hands on it.

Yeah I'm not sure of the best way for me to buy it here (Australia), especially given all non-essential retail stores are basically shutting down after today. I guess I'll have to fiddle with my amazon account settings so I can order the ebook through US amazon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

oh dang that's super soon

(my preorder is already in, never you fear)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

ulmont posted:

Oh, right.

I apparently had a good time, and ordered it on New Years.

Do longer pre-orders help more than newer ones for negotiations, or is it just pre-orders in general that matter?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I was able to find a copy (somewhat) locally.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 5, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

The Wee Free Men (Discworld #30) by Terry Pratchett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R33QWY/

First of the Tiffany Aching stories, which have some of Pratchett's strongest storytelling and moralizing. Don't be put off by the YA label, these are really solid novels with a deep core of real, messy, awkward, painful, joyous life to them.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

cptn_dr posted:

I blitzed through Harrow over the weekend and enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely a lot less straightforward than Gideon, and I suspect some people are going to bounce off it because it's not as much of a romp as Gideon was, but I'm super excited to see how it all wraps up in Alecto.

I super-enjoyed Harrow. The perspective (which, admittedly, is only for about 40-50% of the book) took some getting used to but was used effectively in the end. Also I'm not crying you're crying .

Ornamented Death posted:

Goons with decent independent bookstores in their area,

I'm trying to get a copy of Harrow the Ninth with black sprayed edges because I'm a weirdo that collects book. Apparently these were sent to independent booksellers, but no one seems to actually list this on their site, making it impossible to know if I'm getting such a copy. So if you a) bought a copy in a store and b) it had black sprayed edges, would you be willing to grab me a copy? I'll pay for the book + shipping + a few bucks for your time.

Just to show I'm not trying to source a copy to flip, here's a list of the numerous copies of Gideon the Ninth that my weird rear end owns.

Were the black lined pages a rarity on Gideon? I ordered it from Amazon and got them. My Amazon copy of Harrow gets here tomorrow, I'm interested to see what kind of copy I get.

Also if I could go back in time and buy the most expensive copy of Gideon I would.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Were the black lined pages a rarity on Gideon? I ordered it from Amazon and got them. My Amazon copy of Harrow gets here tomorrow, I'm interested to see what kind of copy I get.

Also if I could go back in time and buy the most expensive copy of Gideon I would.

Nope, all first printing copies of Gideon had the sprayed edges.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I super-enjoyed Harrow. The perspective (which, admittedly, is only for about 40-50% of the book) took some getting used to but was used effectively in the end. Also I'm not crying you're crying .

Yeah, I am, you're right. How are you not?

Maybe my favourite thing about Harrow is that it's somehow even more Kiwi than Gideon. Hearing the Immortal God Emperor AKA The Necrolord Prime AKA John talking about hot chips and a gala made me lose my poo poo.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

ulmont posted:

Oh, right.

Yeah I think I did the same thing when he brought up how much preorders help back in March

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

ulmont posted:

Oh, right.

I too, did this just now.
March 7.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am also of the March 1, 2020 fellowship. My breath is literally bated in anticipation.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Likewise. Had to pull some digital witchcraft to do so but it'll be worth it. Just need to cram a reread in first.

Unfortunately no physical release is planned for NZ yet. Just found out the other day that Harrow is being delayed for two months here too which is bullshit when the author is a Kiwi.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I didn't quite cry at the end of this, though I did at the end of Gideon. Was still pretty tragic though. Good read, loved it a lot. Will probably re-read before Alecto comes out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

team overhead smash posted:

Unless you get the ebook in the UK in which case it's two and a half weeks :argh:

And if you want to order a physical copy, they won't tell you how much it costs. Or they didn't when I looked yesterday, at least.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Jedit posted:

And if you want to order a physical copy, they won't tell you how much it costs. Or they didn't when I looked yesterday, at least.

Genereal Battuta, truly history's greatest traitor tyrant monster.

Pre-ordered on the 1st of March and just really really want to read it ASAP

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Curse you amazon

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hey so remember how two goons were up for Best Novel and Best Short Story at the little side awards at WorldCon?

We both won.

And also both got super hosed over by coNZealand, who did everything they could to bury the ceremony and make sure nobody ever saw it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

First of all: massive congratulations.

Second of all: god what a disaster!! Huge sympathies to you for having such an important moment seemingly covered up for no good reason..

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I think Casey's right, and I talked about it a bit on social media: there's this NZ cultural cringe that seems to be responsible for this. They were embarassed of us, and they thought we'd make the country look bad if we accepted our awards alongside the Authors From Real Countries.

Which is even more humiliating, you know? We write world-class work and the only reason anybody even paid attention to this thing is because we talked to a bunch of Hugo winners about it—they were pissed on our behalf and helped signal-boost us. We needed to get people they considered Real Authors to start shouting about it to get taken seriously.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 5, 2020

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
"New Zealand SF/F writers aren't good enough to play with the big kids" was particularly galling the week before Harrow the Ninth came out, I mean drat

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Preordered this back in January. Super excited for it. Hopefully I finish Harrow the Ninth with enough time left to skim through Monster again before the Tyrant release.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hey so remember how two goons were up for Best Novel and Best Short Story at the little side awards at WorldCon?

We both won.

And also both got super hosed over by coNZealand, who did everything they could to bury the ceremony and make sure nobody ever saw it.

Congrats!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Yeah!

Does this mean there will be more of what we got in The Dawnhounds? Because that was a cool fuckin book.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Curse you amazon

Same. I had it preordered from the (localish) book store and they just gave up and cancelled it. Logistics is hard.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Tzarnal posted:

I didn't quite cry at the end of this, though I did at the end of Gideon. Was still pretty tragic though. Good read, loved it a lot. Will probably re-read before Alecto comes out.

Oh, let me clarify: I didn't cry at the end. I cried tears of joy and sadness when Harrow finally realized everything. I never thought I'd be in tears at the word "Griddle". Also a few other moments did it to me, too. But I'm also emotionally busted and will choke up/well up at a sentimental commercial so ymmv.

Groke posted:

Yeah!

Does this mean there will be more of what we got in The Dawnhounds? Because that was a cool fuckin book.

Much this. Such a good book and I really want to see where the story goes!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I might have to re-read the last few chapters of Gideon cause I just started Harrow and I don't know wtf is going on

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

orange sky posted:

I might have to re-read the last few chapters of Gideon cause I just started Harrow and I don't know wtf is going on

I don't begrudge you the re-read but it's kind of a thing in Harrow where you, the reader, are playing catch-up for a while.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ulmont posted:

Oh, right.

:hai: same

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Mark Lawrence has little like three paragraph plot summaries of the last book in the series in his novels, and it is so incredibly helpful. Actually, thinking about it- surely this must exist online somewhere? I could really use a refresh on Gideon.

I suppose I can always just use the Wikipedia plot summary, but not ideal for recap purposes.

E: also I feel like one of these cover blurbs would’ve been better for Gideon imo:

“Writing in The New York Times, El-Mohtar called Gideon the Ninth a ‘devastating debut that deserves every ounce of hype it’s received’ and praised it as ‘deft, tense and atmospheric, compellingly immersive and wildly original.’”

I kind of feel like the cover blurbs sort of undersell Muir’s books a bit.

I guess for Gideon the point of the blurb was to concisely convey a setup, but for Harrow I’m just not as into it. How do quotes for the cover get picked? Actually curious about how that whole process works.

tildes fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 5, 2020

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

IIRC, in an interview Tamsyn Muir said she didn't know why the publisher went with that "lesbian necromancers in space" blurb for Gideon, but she felt it didn't accurately convey what the book actually is.

Edit: After some searching, I can't find the interview I'm thinking of, and this one just seems to say that she loved the quote but some people might not get the right idea about the book.

Tamsyn Muir posted:

They can also expect a bunch of lesbians doing swordfights. This is mainly due to my own personal biases (I am a lesbian) meeting my own personal interests (swordfights). Due to Charlie Stross’ incredible cover quote, “Lesbian necromancers explore a haunted gothic palace in space!” (accurate) I worry some people have been led to believe that this is something erotic or hard-hitting social commentary, but it is neither. A bunch of lesbians have swordfights and vague drama. People get murdered, people compete to see whose dark powers of bone and blood will let them become necromantic saints. I experienced all this in my youth, except for the sword fights and the murder.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 5, 2020

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Just pre-ordered Tyrant from my local bookstore who confirmed they'll have it on the 13th here in Europe. Super excited! :toot:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

Curse you amazon

I forgot that some editions inexplicably don't have "Baru Cormorant" in the title, but even then Amazon doesn't want to sell me a physical copy of Tyrant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

Nope, all first printing copies of Gideon had the sprayed edges.

Yeah I just looked at mine and I have a first edition, first print. I forgot I ordered it right after reading the Kindle version. Hadn't owned a hardcover book in 20 years.

Not that special but still neat.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 5, 2020