Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

All of these flags are bad, I've seen maybe one or two that are not-so-bad, but the fact that they're required to have "in god we trust" is a sign that they're not aiming to be the next new mexico flag

but this one takes the cake:

wrap up the competition, we've found a winner

edit:

this is full of gold honestly

have a nice live laugh love one:

a bit of a pan-african feel

a bit of cake

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo it's the first completely justified .docx submission

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i love this one for the bathos of the last line

yes it is based in racism but it also breaks my flag rules that i saw in a ted talk once!!!! fuckers

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I appreciate the iranian flag but Mississippi colours and the calligraphy is "ingodwetrustingodwetrustingodwetrustingodwetrust"

that was mine, did someone actually submit it?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
this is the flag mississippi deserves

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's funny that they left those in that were literally drawn in pencil. One was just a page of notes of what the guy thought the flag should look like.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cat Mattress posted:

that was mine, did someone actually submit it?

apparently!

e: unironically one of the better designs. just change the text for like, blacklivesmatter or workersoftheworldunite or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Incredible shitposting energy by the people of Mississippi.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 4, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This is actually the kind of thing where we might be able to influence the outcome if there's a flag or set of flags we can agree on.

edit:
it's clear that

a) a bunch of schools made an assignment or project out of submitting entries, which I think is great
and
b) some assholes are spamming it with dozens of identical or near-identical flags.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 4, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Galaxy brain: submit multiple designs as one entry.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 4, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This one missed an opportunity to slip “In God we trust” in among the county names.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

apparently!

e: unironically one of the better designs. just change the text for like, blacklivesmatter or workersoftheworldunite or something

Ah, it's a slightly different version; I had the flower centered and in a simpler pattern with flat coloring to make it even more like the Iranian flag.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mississippi looks like Bart Simpson viewed from the side and that should be the deciding factor for the design

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

b) some assholes are spamming it with dozens of identical or near-identical flags.

I was kind of assuming that we were already those assholes

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mississippi more like Missippissi am i rite

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

There also a few Scotlands mixed in with them (though presumably more as trying to not so subtly attempt to keep the bars in the stars and bars)

There's also this.

This is the best.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The Mississippi flag redesign shitshow made me wonder, are most subnational flags just worse than the few ones I know? Fortunately, Wikipedia has a convenient page for that.

I'd say, Russia, Japan, Colombia, Ecuador, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Peru mostly succeed with keeping it simple and stylish. Spain, Germany, Austria and Poland are pretty good too, despite relying more heavily on heraldry.

Sadly, it seems it's more a rule than an exception that subnational flags are way too busy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The Mississippi flag redesign shitshow made me wonder, are most subnational flags just worse than the few ones I know? Fortunately, Wikipedia has a convenient page for that.

I'd say, Russia, Japan, Colombia, Ecuador, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Peru mostly succeed with keeping it simple and stylish. Spain, Germany, Austria and Poland are pretty good too, despite relying more heavily on heraldry.

Sadly, it seems it's more a rule than an exception that subnational flags are way too busy.

Japan really loves its regional identity stuff to an almost obsessive degree. I believe there are government grants for some of that too though which helps. There's also a level of coroporate marketing influence on them which pushes simple stylizations for maximal recognition and reproducibility which is actually a good thing in this case.

They don't just have prefectural flags but also municipal ones. That last link has links to sub pages based on region because pretty much every city and even many towns and villages has its own flag. It almost goes into the other direction of simplicity where it's just a stylish logo centered on a field and seeing all of them together ends up making them extremely bland as a whole.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Xelkelvos posted:

Japan really loves its regional identity stuff to an almost obsessive degree. I believe there are government grants for some of that too though which helps. There's also a level of coroporate marketing influence on them which pushes simple stylizations for maximal recognition and reproducibility which is actually a good thing in this case.

Yes, every prefecture and city has a mascot of some kind for tourism purposes some of whom are so popular that they get merchandise sold of them on their own merits.

Others like Iwate prefecture get permission to use companies characters like Iwate prefecture whose mascot is geodude with the guys legs in a transparency filter.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That's the first irl use of that transparency checkerboard I've seen and idk how to feel about it

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
This thread has made me look up some interesting Estonian flags.

Firstly, the country flag uses a nature motif:

Anija parish:

Kehtna parish:

Otepää parish, look at this smug bear:

Kanepi (literally weed) parish:

Vigala parish, that is supposed to be a dog, whatever is happening between it's legs is making me very concerned:

Järva parish with a much better doggo:

Saaremaa parish, I always liked this one, I think the meteorite is a nice touch:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

East Timor has a strong branding policy for its district flags.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is the only justification for a tricolor.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's really hard to argue against the Estonian flag because of that photo. Hate tricolours? Hate the colours used? Too bad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Tag yourself, I'm Smug Bear Parish.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Cat Mattress posted:

East Timor has a strong branding policy for its district flags.

It's certainly better than British overseas territories or the continental Australian flags.

The UAE has a pretty strong graphical policy too.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
This cool flag made the finals of the Mississippi flag contest.

Unfortunately, they are saying it's a mistake and removed it.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/mississippi-giant-mosquito-emblem-state-flag-redesign-mistake.html

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Never thought about it before but a mosquito is a pretty badass heraldic symbol.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Both poor whites and poor blacks in one of the poorest states of the USA can probably agree that a blood-sucking insect isn't the best symbol for them.

On the other hand, it still made the finals so maybe it is

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Both poor whites and poor blacks in one of the poorest states of the USA can probably agree that a blood-sucking insect isn't the best symbol for them.

On the other hand, it still made the finals so maybe it is

Mosquitos are a persistent hated enemy that all humans want to eradicate, and have probably killed more of us than any single other cause, but they're still around and they'll probably outlive us. That's how I see it. I could see adopting it, not for modern Mississippi but in certain situations. Like as a jew I kinda dig it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kind of a bummer that they deleted all the nontraditional color schemes but kept multiple variations of all the genericass ones. And so many are just so fuckin busy.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mosquitos are a persistent hated enemy that all humans want to eradicate, and have probably killed more of us than any single other cause, but they're still around and they'll probably outlive us. That's how I see it. I could see adopting it, not for modern Mississippi but in certain situations. Like as a jew I kinda dig it.

Yikes dude

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

reminds me of the Jewish guy in the tattoo thread who wanted to get nazi propaganda tattooed on himself, permanently, because he thought it portrayed jews in a cool light (as spiders sucking blood from the world or whatever)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://local.theonion.com/local-jew-feels-left-out-of-worldwide-jewish-conspiracy-1819564292

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/wtva9news/status/1298314868752355335?s=20

I dislike both, but I dislike the left one less.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xelkelvos posted:

I dislike both, but I dislike the left one less.

:same: it's a bit less generic with the magnolia.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the right one looks very Federal Government (that's the pattern the Interstate symbol uses right?). The left one is unique and generally nice, minus the IGWT part, but at least that's smaller?

But really either choice is pretty good given both the terrible previous flags and the awfulness that is American State Flags generally.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
As a huge flag dork, I was very happy to see that the Isle of Skye confirmed its own flag this week!

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/skye-unveils-official-flag-island-2951520

I like the flag and hope to get back there for a second visit one of these days!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It looks like the banner of an upper-mid-market hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is this what flags will all look like in a hundred years? Airline logos?