Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nine-gear crow posted:

Frontier was such an amazing and interesting concept utterly bungled in execution. I wouldn't mind seeing another swing taken at that tee, but I think it was sadly a product of its time and that time will never come around again...

Probably not. Digimon doesn't really redo things if said things aren't called "Adventure". It is sad though, since I agree Frontier had some really good ideas and it failed to execute them terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Probably not. Digimon doesn't really redo things if said things aren't called "Adventure". It is sad though, since I agree Frontier had some really good ideas and it failed to execute them terribly.

And what's sad is that Super Sentai have rolled out a bunch of character and plot mechanisms since 2002 that would have profoundly improved Frontier if implemented.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
BOY IS ANGEMON GOING TO HAVE TO DO SOME poo poo TO BE RELEVANT

Ep11 - The Wolf Standing In The Desert
Screenplay- Atsuhiro Tomioka
The adventure begins with Taichi, Koushiro, and Mimi breaking off into one team, while Yamato, Sora, and Jou team up in another. However, an argument breaks out between Yamato, who wants to hurry to the holy Digimon ASAP and Sora, who refuses to abandon the Digimon.
Long summary: The group of children decide to split into two groups to search for the holy Digimon. Taichi Yagami, Koushiro Izumi, and Mimi Tachikawa form one group, while Yamato Ishida, Sora Takenouchi, and Jou Kido form another. Yamato's group goes to the desert, where they rescue small Digimon trying to escape from a violent dark Digimon, Scorpiomon. These Digimon were in the midst of running to find Leomon, who is fighting back against the dark Digimon. Yamato wishes to hurry and find the holy Digimon, while Sora refuses to abandon the Digimon, and the two fight, ending with Yamato leaving with his Digimon partner Gabumon to go his own way. Although Yamato has a reason for wanting to hurry...?!

Ep12 - Lilimon Blooms
Screenplay- Hiroshi Yamaguchi
Mimi and Palmon fall into the underground level of ancient ruins. While they attempt to climb back up to ground level, one of the Digimon that they thought was a collection of remains wakes up and attacks them!
Long summary: Mimi and her Digimon partner Palmon fall to the underground of ancient ruins. There, they find piles of remains of Digimon who had been shot and thrown down there to die. Mimi tries to find a way back to the surface, but one of the Digimon that she'd thought was dead wakes up and attacks her. Just when she thought she was done for, another Digimon wakes up and rescues Mimi. During all of this, Taichi and Koushiro race to the underground to rescue Mimi.

Ep13 - Garudamon of Crimson Wings
Screenplay- Kenichi Yamashita
Long summary: Yamato, Sora, and Jou's group arrive at a deep jungle. Yamato comes upon a swarm of Funbeemon that is being attacked by Waspmon. The Waspmon capture every last one of the Funbeemon and bring them to CannonBeemon, a Digimon who looks like a giant wasp's nest stronghold. Sora hears that the captured Funbeemon will be made into servants of the dark Digimon and decides to go rescue the Funbeemon.

Ep14 - Clash! The Bug King
Screenplay- Masashi Sogo
Long summary: Taichi, Koushiro, and Mimi arrive at the bottom of the Great Canyon where rock cliffs extend for miles. They are attacked by several Kuwagamon, who are being manipulated by the SoundBirdmon. The Kuwagamon chase after them as though they are hunting, so Greymon, Kabuterimon, and Togemon fight back. However, Taichi's group is eventually lost in the Canyon's labyrinth-like depths. Lying in wait ahead of them was the even more powerful Ookuwagamon. Although they escape from Ookuwagamon's attack, Koushiro and Kabuterimon get separated from the others.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dude literally waited until the last four or so episodes of OG Adventure to get to Ultimate, this is nothing new whatsoever. You just have to assume Angemon and Angewomon are on the same level and quietly ignore everything else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not Adventure-related, but this is absolutely true.
https://twitter.com/wondersableye/status/1291121977684627456

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
made a new one of those Sprite V-Pet style charts;

this one got a little tricky in parts to make, especially for the Flymon line(surprisingly few Insect Digimon at Perfect or Ultimate in the Sprite collection), might revise it a little in the future

first two charts for comparison;

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

The adventure begins with Taichi, Koushiro, and Mimi breaking off into one team, while Yamato, Sora, and Jou team up in another. However, an argument breaks out between Yamato, who wants to hurry to the holy Digimon ASAP and Sora, who refuses to abandon the Digimon.
Long summary: The group of children decide to split into two groups to search for the holy Digimon. Taichi Yagami, Koushiro Izumi, and Mimi Tachikawa form one group, while Yamato Ishida, Sora Takenouchi, and Jou Kido form another. Yamato's group goes to the desert, where they rescue small Digimon trying to escape from a violent dark Digimon, Scorpiomon. These Digimon were in the midst of running to find Leomon, who is fighting back against the dark Digimon. Yamato wishes to hurry and find the holy Digimon, while Sora refuses to abandon the Digimon, and the two fight, ending with Yamato leaving with his Digimon partner Gabumon to go his own way. Although Yamato has a reason for wanting to hurry...?!

Ep12 - Lilimon Blooms
Mimi and Palmon fall into the underground level of ancient ruins. While they attempt to climb back up to ground level, one of the Digimon that they thought was a collection of remains wakes up and attacks them!
Long summary: Mimi and her Digimon partner Palmon fall to the underground of ancient ruins. There, they find piles of remains of Digimon who had been shot and thrown down there to die. Mimi tries to find a way back to the surface, but one of the Digimon that she'd thought was dead wakes up and attacks her. Just when she thought she was done for, another Digimon wakes up and rescues Mimi. During all of this, Taichi and Koushiro race to the underground to rescue Mimi.

Long summary: Yamato, Sora, and Jou's group arrive at a deep jungle. Yamato comes upon a swarm of Funbeemon that is being attacked by Waspmon. The Waspmon capture every last one of the Funbeemon and bring them to CannonBeemon, a Digimon who looks like a giant wasp's nest stronghold. Sora hears that the captured Funbeemon will be made into servants of the dark Digimon and decides to go rescue the Funbeemon.

Screenplay- Masashi Sogo
Long summary: Taichi, Koushiro, and Mimi arrive at the bottom of the Great Canyon where rock cliffs extend for miles. They are attacked by several Kuwagamon, who are being manipulated by the SoundBirdmon. The Kuwagamon chase after them as though they are hunting, so Greymon, Kabuterimon, and Togemon fight back. However, Taichi's group is eventually lost in the Canyon's labyrinth-like depths. Lying in wait ahead of them was the even more powerful Ookuwagamon. Although they escape from Ookuwagamon's attack, Koushiro and Kabuterimon get separated from the others.

Lots of Digimon who have never been animated before in here. Good.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So it looks like maybe we're getting US versions of the series 1 X vpets in february?

That would be cool. I'd be down to play through again with the names in english.

jivjov posted:

Okay I'm sure I've asked this before, probably in this very thread...but how's the interface on these things for someone who doesn't read japanese? Simple enough I can have a notecard crib sheet?

I only have experience with the normal vpets and not the special anime digivices, but the vpets are basically just icons and English flavor text except all digimon names are in Japanese. The Premium Bandai page does say that it might put up English instructions upon release, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

made a new one of those Sprite V-Pet style charts;

this one got a little tricky in parts to make, especially for the Flymon line(surprisingly few Insect Digimon at Perfect or Ultimate in the Sprite collection), might revise it a little in the future

I don't really get why Shadramon is here as a Perfect. It's an Armor, so it should be at the Adult level probably, especially since you have Pegasmon there at that level.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't really get why Shadramon is here as a Perfect. It's an Armor, so it should be at the Adult level probably, especially since you have Pegasmon there at that level.
rapidmon is an ultimate, so can shadramon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the first Story game treated Armors as Perfects, so it works.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Hell, Cyber Sleuth has 3 armor evos. 1 is a Champion equivalent, 1 is an Ultimate equivalent and 1 is a Mega equivalent.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Burkion posted:

Ep12 - Lilimon Blooms

Screenplay- Masashi Sogo

Geez, all this and the angels won’t even be Champions yet? Either they’re going to be humiliating everyone else, or be glorified McGuffin batteries.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

As others have mentioned Armors have been treated as Perfect in some of the games, which is part of why in that Sprite collection I've shared in the past, Perfects and Armors share a folder, and with this project I'm probably going to use them interchangably depending on what I need

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

As others have mentioned Armors have been treated as Perfect in some of the games, which is part of why in that Sprite collection I've shared in the past, Perfects and Armors share a folder, and with this project I'm probably going to use them interchangably depending on what I need

Aren’t most Armors treated as Champion-equivalents? Not that it matters much when dealing with any of the “special” levels like it or Hybrid an whatever we call the few surviving Xros designs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Geez, all this and the angels won’t even be Champions yet? Either they’re going to be humiliating everyone else, or be glorified McGuffin batteries.

My guess is they're going to be heavily playing up the type advantage Holy Digimon have against dark types, like either Devimon is going to evolve to a higher form or like in the original he's going to artificially boost his power, so Angemon will be needed to bridge the gap

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Aren’t most Armors treated as Champion-equivalents? Not that it matters much when dealing with any of the “special” levels like it or Hybrid an whatever we call the few surviving Xros designs.

Usually they are, but there's more than enough examples of them being used differently for me to have no problem using them flexibly

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the first thing you have to realize about Digimon is that the canon WILL mess with levels depending on what they feel like.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

the first thing you have to realize about Digimon is that the canon WILL mess with levels depending on what they feel like.

Sometimes in surprisingly clever ways, like how a lot of the early opponents in Tamers were Armor Digimon, since Armor Digimon are often supposed to be weaker than a standard Adult or Perfect Digimon, so they make good opponents for the protagonists before they reach Adult

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Sometimes in surprisingly clever ways, like how a lot of the early opponents in Tamers were Armor Digimon, since Armor Digimon are often supposed to be weaker than a standard Adult or Perfect Digimon, so they make good opponents for the protagonists before they reach Adult

then you have the inverse, in Savers, where they're generally a cut above Adults and closer to Perfects in strength

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

then you have the inverse, in Savers, where they're generally a cut above Adults and closer to Perfects in strength

I assumed that was because that Digmon had evolved from a Drimogemon, who was already an adult. My heuristic is that an Armor form is a little over half a stage stronger than whatever it evolved from, 1.5 stages ahead if its a Gold Armor digimon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

I assumed that was because that Digmon had evolved from a Drimogemon, who was already an adult. My heuristic is that an Armor form is a little over half a stage stronger than whatever it evolved from, 1.5 stages ahead if its a Gold Armor digimon.

I'm not just talking about Digmon. I'm talking about how SaberLeomon's army of Boarmon and Pteranomon gave them trouble even at the Perfect form, and also the Bio Hybrids being a match for their Perfect forms. Thunderbirmon, Stegomon, and Coatlmon are all Armor level.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ultimately, power levels don't matter. Especially with weird levels or series like Xros Wars where levels don't exist at all. Or Frontier, where levels...may exist? It's very unclear.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The easiest explanation is that Armor levels worked one (two) way(s) in 02, a different way in Tamers, a different way in Savers, etc.

While evolution stages are generally pretty cut and dry, the strength of those stages is really a case-by-case basis thing. Same with Armors.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Some Survive updates:

The ability to order the Switch version is back on Amazon.

Toei Europe has removed the reference to January 2021 as the release window from their materials. WTW believes this is in response to everyone taking it as an official release window.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ultimately, power levels don't matter. Especially with weird levels or series like Xros Wars where levels don't exist at all. Or Frontier, where levels...may exist? It's very unclear.

True. Especially when series have excuses like fusing multiple lesser Digimon together or the convenient “X absorbed a lot of data” to explain random power-ups.

This is not a franchise built on anything resembling consistency.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It only really feels all that inconsistent when comparing different segments of the franchise, within specific ones it usually makes sense(except maybe in Frontier, that season I'd argue was an utter mess in that regard)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's kind of funny is this is keeping consistent with OG Adventure's power levels. Angemon was generally as strong as the Ultimates, just not as durable and Angewomon was the strongest non Mega level.

I guess the question becomes if they're going to run with that again. Keeping the Angels absurdly stronger. Because regardless, Seraphimon is doomed to hype let down unless he just solos everything everywhere.

Though, we do have a Leomon coming soon...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

What's kind of funny is this is keeping consistent with OG Adventure's power levels. Angemon was generally as strong as the Ultimates, just not as durable and Angewomon was the strongest non Mega level.

I guess the question becomes if they're going to run with that again. Keeping the Angels absurdly stronger. Because regardless, Seraphimon is doomed to hype let down unless he just solos everything everywhere.

Though, we do have a Leomon coming soon...

The weird thing is that they kept lumping the two together despite the fact that she should be way stronger and more durable than him. I get the male/female counterpart idea and a tiny cat in clawed gloves looks pretty ridiculous next to a giant angel man, but you almost never see Angewomon and MagnaAngemon together. Granted, you almost never see MagnaAngemon, period, but still.

Aw well. At least we get to see the other Ultimates before the halfway mark of the series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Geostomp posted:

The weird thing is that they kept lumping the two together despite the fact that she should be way stronger and more durable than him. I get the male/female counterpart idea and a tiny cat in clawed gloves looks pretty ridiculous next to a giant angel man, but you almost never see Angewomon and MagnaAngemon together. Granted, you almost never see MagnaAngemon, period, but still.

Aw well. At least we get to see the other Ultimates before the halfway mark of the series.

MagnaAngemon I don't think appears more than ten times across season 1 and 2, entirely because he's so freakishly powerful.

Even ignoring the type advantage, MagnaAngemon is just straight up stronger than Black WarGreymon, who he shouldn't have a type advantage against. One of my favorite things in the final fight with MaloMyotismon is that he does nothing the entire time. They didn't even need him to do a special attack, he could have just slashed at the guy- he doesn't. He shows up and just floats around

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MagnaAngemon comes with an "I Win" attack.

Patamon handicaps himself whenever he goes all the way to Seraphimon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

MagnaAngemon I don't think appears more than ten times across season 1 and 2, entirely because he's so freakishly powerful.

Even ignoring the type advantage, MagnaAngemon is just straight up stronger than Black WarGreymon, who he shouldn't have a type advantage against. One of my favorite things in the final fight with MaloMyotismon is that he does nothing the entire time. They didn't even need him to do a special attack, he could have just slashed at the guy- he doesn't. He shows up and just floats around

Here is a list of the entirety of MagnaAngemon's contribution to Adventure and 02 outside of movies:

Drive off Piedmon, brings everyone back to life, and then kills him and all his minions

Blow up one of Apocalyamon's claws

Struggle with BlackWarGreymon and force him to cheat to escape deletion.

Cut one Control Spire down

Shows up for MaloMyotismon

He is a mon of extremes. Either he wins the day, only struggling with the most powerful enemies, does one thing anybody else could do, or he does absolutely nothing. It doesn't help that his main attack is a magical gate to divine punishment rather than something less final like a blast or sword slash. It's no wonder why he was sacrificed to be one of Shakkuamon's components: that form is way less impressive, but at least the writers can figure out stuff for it to do beyond "win everything" or "be fancy background".

Then he goes Seraphimon and proceeds to do one thing only: lose horribly so the new bad guy can show off.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Am I alone in thinking all of the evolutions killing MaloMyotismon would have been a more fun ending than children killing him with their dreams?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

With how much Adventure: has been emphasizing teamwork, maybe MagnaAngemon would have more to contribute during battles.

And hey, maybe Adventure: would be different and not kill Leomon while they're at it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
MagnaAngemon is probably a nightmare to animate, I don't blame 'em for having him never show up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Am I alone in thinking all of the evolutions killing MaloMyotismon would have been a more fun ending than children killing him with their dreams?

Anything would've been a better ending than that.

amigolupus posted:

With how much Adventure: has been emphasizing teamwork, maybe MagnaAngemon would have more to contribute during battles.

Maybe! It's not like they must focus on the Heaven's Gate, HolyAngemon has other attacks, including his beam sword.

quote:

And hey, maybe Adventure: would be different and not kill Leomon while they're at it.

Okay now, let's not get too wild here.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In a big twist, MagnaAngemon kills Leomon and sends him to the Pink Dimension.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scratchman Apoo posted:

No, it’s funnier that he literally died to a kid screaming “I want to buy a hotdog stand! :byodood:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Question

Why was MaloMyotismon going to the digital world such a bad thing, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burkion posted:

Question

Why was MaloMyotismon going to the digital world such a bad thing, again?

...You are aware what a huge rear end in a top hat Myotismon is on a good day, right? :v: