Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

NAT is good because "everything's closed fuckoff" is the default state on the outside due to the way it works.

in a professional environment with a managed firewall that's not really a feature, but i'm incredibly glad people's home pcs are in a private IP range, not accessible from the internet and their routers rejecting all incoming traffic.

now, you might say "but not-nat/ipv6 routers/firewalls can do that too". yes they can. but do you trust random home appliances to have sane defaults unless they have to? i don't. "our gaming turbo super router doesn't cause problems with hosting steam games! no more port forwarding! buy now just 29.95"
Your assumption relies on CPE having sane defaults which, aside from being a dubious-at-best idea, is as likely as proper a NAT masquerade implementation.
Even if the NAT masquerade implementation isn't faulty, WebRTC - as you undoubtedly know has seen a lot of use lately - is made to defeat both firewalls and NAT masquerading via ICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Squirrels are small enough you could use an air rifle or slingshot or longbow or whatever you have over there.
You would be amazed to learn that not only are all of those of varying degrees of legality here, shooting them outside a designated range or on private property might also be, and depending on the colour of the squirrel injuring them at all might also be illegal.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also it's not the availability of the weapon but that particular type of problem solving that I was referring to BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD sorry for extending the discussion.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sickening posted:

I hope you have some iron clad job security because drat, that is borderline wreckless.

Actually, strangely, after the meeting both people thanked me for breaking this up. After six years here, I have a reputation for not putting up with bullshit and things that waste people’s time.

My favorite tactic is to remind people that a 60 minute meeting weekly staff meeting costs a thousand dollars and 15 minutes spent in a rabbit hole about COVID is $250 plus time you won’t get back.

Secrets to a good meeting:

Stay on agenda. Stay on topic. Have good time management. Let everyone feel heard. Include everyone. Manage airtime. Have a desired outcome.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
My company recently started doing something called "L10". It's not bad exactly but it's super structured and I've just never seen a meeting structure system that didn't make most meetings overall worse?

:shrug:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just listened to an interesting podcast about meetings:
https://freakonomics.com/podcast/meetings-rebroadcast/

I wish my work would actually follow through on anything mentioned in it! Instead we have biweekly meetings that benefit almost no one and that 2 people take up 3/4 of the time in.

The few times I've ran a meeting for a project I've made sure to send out the agenda in advance by email and then follow up with minutes/notes afterwards.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

My company recently started doing something called "L10". It's not bad exactly but it's super structured and I've just never seen a meeting structure system that didn't make most meetings overall worse?

:shrug:

We did L10 at my last place, helped a lot. Went from ~1 hour per weekly meeting down to 15 minutes. I was skeptical at first but if you stick to it it's pretty simple. The main thing was we were able to keep people on topic and sideline unnecessary discussions or break those discussions out to separate groups and let uninvolved people leave once the main meeting was done, which wasn't happening before.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sheep posted:

sideline unnecessary discussions or break those discussions out to separate groups and let uninvolved people leave once the main meeting was done

Yeah but the L10 evangelist here is also the guy who can't do these things to save his life (I think it might literally be a low-level on-the-spectrum thing for him) but he's the boss so :shrug:.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

You would be amazed to learn that not only are all of those of varying degrees of legality here, shooting them outside a designated range or on private property might also be, and depending on the colour of the squirrel injuring them at all might also be illegal.

I thought that including a longbow as a way to kill a squirrel made it obvious that I was being humorous and intentionally missing the point, I guess not.

The same stuff (aside from legality) all goes for the US as well, BTW, we don't actually change the channel on our TVs by shooting it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I was wondering just how small we could build a homing rocket that tracked the squirrels :shrug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

RFC2324 posted:

I was wondering just how small we could build a homing rocket that tracked the squirrels :shrug:

Right? I mean, they've already got the locating beacon on them...

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

22 Eargesplitten posted:

BTW, we don't actually change the channel on our TVs by shooting it.

speak for yourself there buddy :mad:

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
it's called the freedom remote in my household.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Do y'all prefer a 9mm remote? Or a .38? I saw a .50 cal remote once but it could only do 7 channels.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

With the .50 cal remote you only have to shoot near the TV, not actually hit it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't recommend the 50. Buddy had one and it changed the channel on ALL the TV's in the house and the TV in the nearest neighbors house

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gotta use the .50 BMG rounds, they avoid most of the issues

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

RFC2324 posted:

gotta use the .50 BMG rounds, they avoid most of the issues

Yeah don't use a .22 remote it just bounces around and changes the channel multiple times unpredictably.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Which one did Elvis have?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

the kind thats for shooting drugged out hippies

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Ultimately a really bad squib round did him In

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

speak for yourself there buddy :mad:

https://i.imgur.com/CAQuj3h.mp4

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The unrealistic part of this is pretending there would be social pressure used on an irresponsible gun-owner by responsible ones.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Schadenboner posted:

The unrealistic part of this is pretending there would be social pressure used on an irresponsible gun-owner by responsible ones.

Uhh this is handily untrue in my experience, I am a responsible gun owner and have had talks with folks irresponsibly using them and have been a ranges where others have done the same.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MF_James posted:

Uhh this is handily untrue in my experience, I am a responsible gun owner and have had talks with folks irresponsibly using them and have been a ranges where others have done the same.

Yeah, my local range takes that poo poo seriously and any member is gonna talk to a member/guest about safety if they're doing anything wrong. And if they don't immediately correct the action/listen the range safety officer gets called, who has the authority to trespass them right the hell off the range.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

On the flip side I've had an (off duty) safety officer call me a liberal snowflake for getting upset over being drunkenly muzzle swept at a BBQ. And yes this was in rural Florida.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Did he know the gun holder personally? The mindset of "I know him and like him, so what he's doing is cool" is common, hard to break, and it makes someone useless as a safety officer. Of course, if people weren't useless at their jobs, we wouldn't have this thread.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Schadenboner posted:

That's what makes it a comedy!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Soylent Pudding posted:

On the flip side I've had an (off duty) safety officer call me a liberal snowflake for getting upset over being drunkenly muzzle swept at a BBQ. And yes this was in rural Florida.

90% of cops are poo poo, I used to have friends that became cops, they would bring their guns with when we were out drinking, I've also been a third party to other cops being out drinking and pulling their guns on people, it's insanity.

Cops are not a good representation of responsible gun owners, in case you didn't realize that before this post. Also, I'm not saying every gun owner is responsible, but, I would say a large majority that I've met are. Perhaps it's a regional thing, I dunno.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh, that makes more sense: I thought you meant an RSO when you said "safety officer"?

Although...

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Range safety officer != cop.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Oh my fault, I .. honestly guess I just didn't read the post correctly despite quoting it.

Yeah, I dunno, that dude is poo poo, again maybe regional differences? I live in illinois and have never run into an issue like that (outside of aforementioned cops being poo poo)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 6, 2020

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Phone posting so I dropped some words for convenience. No worries. Their are gun owners from IL in my family who treat them like any other farm tool and are pretty drat sane. Meanwhile living in rural Florida I met all sorts of self described "responsible gun owners" living the sheepdog operator lifestyle who loudly insisted any expectation of responsibility or safety on their use of a deadly tool is a liberal plot against their freedom. Which is why I reflexively cringe when people talk about the "responsible gun owner".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Soylent Pudding posted:

Phone posting so I dropped some words for convenience. No worries. Their are gun owners from IL in my family who treat them like any other farm tool and are pretty drat sane. Meanwhile living in rural Florida I met all sorts of self described "responsible gun owners" living the sheepdog operator lifestyle who loudly insisted any expectation of responsibility or safety on their use of a deadly tool is a liberal plot against their freedom. Which is why I reflexively cringe when people talk about the "responsible gun owner".

whatever term gets used will be coopted by the shitheads who don't think they are bad

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish some student from Larches old school would update us on how their dealing with all their computers being down, etc.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Tfr said it best when the mantra is:

Guns
Ammo
Booze

Pick two.

Life is better in any combination when you stick to that rule.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As someone that has been around drunk people people throwing ammo into a fire I can’t actually recommend any combination of booze and (guns or ammo)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I guess the Trump card for this game would be 'dont invite Muppets to your house'

People that would do as you describe usually have little other redeming qualities

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

MF_James posted:

90% of cops are poo poo, I used to have friends that became cops, they would bring their guns with when we were out drinking, I've also been a third party to other cops being out drinking and pulling their guns on people, it's insanity.

Cops are not a good representation of responsible gun owners, in case you didn't realize that before this post. Also, I'm not saying every gun owner is responsible, but, I would say a large majority that I've met are. Perhaps it's a regional thing, I dunno.

lmao, off by about 10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BallerBallerDillz posted:

lmao, off by about 10%

now now. not every cop is a bad one https://www.odmp.org/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)