Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Xaintrailles posted:

We didn't have PCR machines at all for the 1918 or 1968 pandemics, or even for the start of HIV. It's incredible how well-placed we are to deal with this now with our technology and communication and capabilities and resources. It makes how badly we're loving up truly impressive.
We can invent ways to detect trace amounts of RNA and beep boop talk to people on other continents, but inventing ways around mass ignorance/stupidity is even harder than quantum gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

you write one article for the Atlantic and you suddenly become A Writer.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Zugzwang posted:

We can invent ways to detect trace amounts of RNA and beep boop talk to people on other continents, but inventing ways around mass ignorance/stupidity is even harder than quantum gravity.

Mods change my username to hanlon's razor

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

OMFG FURRY posted:

you write one article for the Atlantic and you suddenly become A Writer.

Oh sure I suck dicks for 20 years but I write ONE article.....

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
No ring.
https://twitter.com/IdahoStatesman/status/1291546874034487296?s=19

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

All of the McClatchy papers use this same stock photo in different colors and it’s startling af

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pump Jockey posted:

All of the McClatchy papers use this same stock photo in different colors and it’s startling af

Speaking of stock photos, my province's government FB page made a post about health guidelines the other day, and they had a picture of a guy coughing with his hand to his mouth.

A bunch of backwoods, know-it-all inbreds, the type who would never wear a mask, started commenting on and on about how "Isn't it bad to touch your face?" "Where is his hand sanitizer?" "He should be coughing into his arm!" "This government is trying to kill us all!!"

It was a stock photo from Adobe. :psyduck:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

lol

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is just barely ‘rona related, but I am about to need to make an expensive purchase, and since actual full-time employment at a real job working for a real place is tough to come by right now, I’m thinking I may take a job with DoorDash or Uber or one of those other gig things to make some cash.

Have any of y’all worked for any of those, and if so, which ones seem the least lovely to work for? I worked for Instacart for about a year and I can’t imagine too many other gig jobs could be much worse than that.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

iirc doordash is better to work for

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zugzwang posted:

If Peterson gets pwned by the virus, a lot more chuds might take it seriously.

He can't have been in great health to begin with because he's been doing the carnivore diet for I don't know how many years, and that's just stupefyingly dumb.

sir

you do know how a death cult works right

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JoshGuitar posted:

It used to be pretty common for Americans to import a labor underclass to handle duties around the house and yard, leaving themselves free to pursue other interests and ambitions. It didn't end well.

Besides, we're not really set up for that any more. Most houses don't even have an unused bedroom available, let alone servants' quarters. And there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 million households with children in the US. That's a whole lot of humans to traffic labor to import.

Hve you een the ize o houe in he uburbe/

oh no m ebor i broe

Edit:

Have you seen the size of houses in the suburbs?

oh no my keyboard is broken

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 8, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Don't forget that his entire career was based on studying addiction clinically.

Meaning, he is literally an expert on "this isnt the way to detox from benzos" and yet did it anyway.

That's our Jordan! :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hve you een the ize o houe in he uburbe/

oh no m ebor i broe

bames nond's having a stronk, call a bondulance

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

From the "motherfuckers, are you SERIOUS" department comes this: I just got an email notification that Assembly, one of the largest demoscene events and LAN parties in the world, is happening in early October.

What does one of these look like, you ask?

Why yes, let's pack in 10 000+ nerds into a convention center elbow to elbow, what could possibly go wrong? I've been to Assembly several times, and the level of hygiene is deplorable. It's like a god drat hobo encampment at the best of times, so this is an amazing, amazing idea.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

From the "motherfuckers, are you SERIOUS" department comes this: I just got an email notification that Assembly, one of the largest demoscene events and LAN parties in the world, is happening in early October.

Why yes, let's pack in 10 000+ nerds into a convention center elbow to elbow, what could possibly go wrong? I've been to Assembly several times, and the level of hygiene is deplorable. It's like a god drat hobo encampment at the best of times, so this is an amazing, amazing idea.

Agreed on its an amazing idea

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
just label every other seat "for girl gamer"

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Der Shovel posted:

being that government regulations are a compromise between "what actually is necessary" and "what would cause people to actively defy it and murder thousands out of selfishness"

... this will be a disaster

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

This is just barely ‘rona related, but I am about to need to make an expensive purchase, and since actual full-time employment at a real job working for a real place is tough to come by right now, I’m thinking I may take a job with DoorDash or Uber or one of those other gig things to make some cash.

Have any of y’all worked for any of those, and if so, which ones seem the least lovely to work for? I worked for Instacart for about a year and I can’t imagine too many other gig jobs could be much worse than that.

I just signed up for door dash because the 'rona took away my gigs and thusly 10-20% of my income. once I get my stuff in the mail I'll do a couple shifts and report back.

from the tiny bit of research I did the recommendation was to sign up for all the delivery services in your area and try them all out since a lot of it depends on your region.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 7, 2020

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Everyone ready for Sturgis Motorcycle Rally?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I just signed up for door dash because the 'rona took away my gigs and thusly 10-20% of my income.

At the start of the year I was working two part time jobs which were both in the entertainment field which are now of course 100% dead and gone for the foreseeable future. Luckily I live in Australia and the government went "Jesus christ no don't go outside, we'll give you a chunk of cash every two weeks if you just sit in your house" so I've been able to keep paying rent and buying food

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I've never been more ready. :allears:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Der Shovel posted:

drat, this is still going on? I've been wanting to go to one since the early 90s when it was all Amigas and I had a lot of scene friends who were going to go.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

At the start of the year I was working two part time jobs which were both in the entertainment field which are now of course 100% dead and gone for the foreseeable future. Luckily I live in Australia and the government went "Jesus christ no don't go outside, we'll give you a chunk of cash every two weeks if you just sit in your house" so I've been able to keep paying rent and buying food

yeah I feel terrible for the guys I know that do it full time, although they were mostly able to get on the CARES act unemployment eventually. april was hairy for a lot of them though.

of course that's gone now, and while there are a handful of outdoor gigs they won't be around in a month.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Der Shovel posted:

don't worry none of the attendees left the house since before corona was a thing so you're safe

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

It's the worst and it's fairly active already, been lots of lovely dumbasses rolling in already this past week.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Philthy posted:

drat, this is still going on? I've been wanting to go to one since the early 90s when it was all Amigas and I had a lot of scene friends who were going to go.

It's all about the counterstrikes now

edit: well there are demo compos still but the main focus seems to be gaming and poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Gonna be a lot of this happening throughout the rest of they year:
https://wreg.com/news/woman-who-says-she-has-covid-19-evicted-from-raleigh-home/

:tif:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever do those delivery jobs on a bicycle? I don’t have a car but I would bike more if someone paid me to!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Philthy posted:

there are a whole bunch of demoscene parties every year, tho i personally recommend the revision in germany ... once the virus is handled.

it has no gamer stuff that isn't retro and is 100% demoscene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

don't worry none of the attendees left the house since before corona was a thing so you're safe
there are a lot of demosceners (programmers, artists, musicians, directors, other kinds of creatives) there who are vastly more social than the gamers

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Find your landlord and discuss it in person, face-to-face.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Covid stimulus bill is dead

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1291710612528136192

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh good. I'm sure the people who got fired and are now seeking work in the worst job market of my life while also facing eviction will be fine.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
DeWine actually tested negative later in the day, it was a quick test that gives a lot of false positives that everyone who sees Trump has to take.

Hasn't stopped the morons on Facebook from saying how masks are worthless since the 'state mask mascot' got the rona! Very cool.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

how hard is it to say "people are starving and dying, they need help" and stop inserting bullshit into the bill and just help the people

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

how hard is it to say "people are starving and dying, they need help" and stop inserting bullshit into the bill and just help the people

The rich donors who run the country don't want them to help the people

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Well Republicans only care about the starving defense contractors and not the unemployed people, and Dems care about both equally (though they still would probably rather hang out with the defense contractors)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the government knows that helping people in the short-term would be meaningless in the bleak and terrifying long-term

they're just looking out for you
you should thank them

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

GolfHole posted:

the government knows that helping people in the short-term would be meaningless in the bleak and terrifying long-term

they're just looking out for you
you should thank them

Yeah man they should just start mailing single shot pistols to every address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The Glumslinger posted:

Well Republicans only care about the starving defense contractors and not the unemployed people, and Dems care about both equally (though they still would probably rather hang out with the defense contractors)

Dems want to give money to people to prevent them from literally starving in the streets. Republicans don't care because of their bullshit "lazy poors should bootstraps" mentality. These positions are very well known. How exactly do the Repubs see themselves coming out as looking good on this one (except to their most hardcore smoothbrained death cult members)?