Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

...You are aware what a huge rear end in a top hat Myotismon is on a good day, right? :v:

No, what I mean is, there was some kind of "All is lost" thing. Like him going to the digital world would have been an instant win.

I don't remember why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Burkion posted:

Question

Why was MaloMyotismon going to the digital world such a bad thing, again?

Vamdemon's stated goal, both in 99 and 02 intended both worlds in darkness, somehow merge them together, and rule over them. He nearly succeeded. Dialogue implies that the final battle being on a big dark barren spooky wasteland area was a direct result of Belial Vamdemon reaching the digital world, that his presence had somehow damaged it and darkened it after only being there for seconds (hence Hikari freaking out), that being there and making it dark and spooky allowed him to hypercharge himself (he clobbered the cast for as long as he was in the digital world), and also that ultimately the reason Oikawa sacrificed himself was to undo this damage.

Yeah, they only explained him reaching the Digital World was a really bad thing after he had already reached the digital world and done the thing that made it a bad thing near instantly, but 02 making weird storytelling mistakes shouldn't be news at this late date.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Omnicrom posted:

Vamdemon's stated goal, both in 99 and 02 intended both worlds in darkness, somehow merge them together, and rule over them.

I just learned that Richard Epcar was Myotismon's dub actor and that makes this being his plan incredibly funny to me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

I just learned that Richard Epcar was Myotismon's dub actor and that makes this being his plan incredibly funny to me.

MOTHER FUCKER

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Burkion posted:

MOTHER FUCKER

The amount of shared VAs in Digimon and Kingdom Hearts (and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) leads to magical things.

Paul St. Peter was Wormmon and that's amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The best thing about the dubs for the first couple of seasons is that basically every villain is just allowed to go full ham on their dialogue(there's a reason most people call Apocalymon "Pizza Crust" after all)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Davis yelling out "VEEMON YOU'RE MY FRIIIIIIIIEND" and that activating the Digi-Egg of Friendship is burned into my memory.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but I was looking at who does the voices for Adventure:, and Valdurmon's voice actors are actually the original voice for Matt and Mimi. I don't expect anything to come of it, but I think it's a really nice nod to the original cast.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but I was looking at who does the voices for Adventure:, and Valdurmon's voice actors are actually the original voice for Matt and Mimi. I don't expect anything to come of it, but I think it's a really nice nod to the original cast.

While it's nice to have them back in some role, even if it's one episode, I still don't get why every child had their VA changed. I know some had no other choice (Taichi's and Sora's are dead IIRC and Adventure!Takeru's is retired) but the rest had no real reason to get brand-new VAs, especially since it meant big names in the franchise like AiM (Mimi, and also the singer for basically every ending until Savers, but not Adventure:) or Masami Kikuchi (had roles in literally every Digimon series until Tri and Appmon) have no roles now.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So here's something strange. There's a third wave of the 20th vpet coming this October for the US. As far as we know there's nothing new in it (Though there is one more egg the US versions didn't get in comparison to Japan) it's just new colors. It's a general release so they're all on Amazon, but for some reason Premium Bandai US is selling them in bundles.

Retro Neon Set

Glow and Monochrome Set

The bundles aren't even a discounted price compared to buying individually, so I just thought this was weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We're getting a new song! X-treme Fight, by Takayoshi Tanimoto, who also sung the opening and Be the Winners.

This is likely why the opening and first fight song have not been released yet, we'll get all three songs in one single.

EDIT: it's confirmed, and we have samples.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1292274230592180231

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 9, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Good news! The good season of Digimon is still good. Even besides the novelty of a genuinely good Digimon Adventure series in the year 2020, the show looks and feels good for reasons totally unconnected from nostalgia or history. There are some really impressive shots and sequences in the episode, and Metal Greymon makes one hell of a showing.

Honestly the fact the show is legitimately strong hasn't quite sunk in yet. I'm almost afraid I'll show up one weekend and it'll just be Tri all over again, but so far the dream is alive and I'm elated. If Adventure 20 keeps up this pace and fulfills its promise it may just end up knocking the original off its perch and become the best Digimon Adventure series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering this is set to last about 66 episodes or so I’m very curious what the back half of the season is going to be like if they’re already ramping things up this much so early on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Considering this is set to last about 66 episodes or so I’m very curious what the back half of the season is going to be like if they’re already ramping things up this much so early on.

I've been talking with a friend on this- back when Adventure 01 came out, Ultimates and Megas weren't super well defined yet. In media just before it started airing, higher evolutions didn't exist yet.

Half the cast didn't really have an official mega level for the first series. So, Ultimate was treated as the logical end point for most of them and Mega was this weird rules breaking bullshit- Ultimate was the reward for character development and realization, Mega was something you had to break the system to get.

But now, in a universe where that's just A Thing, Ultimate is only a speedbump to get to Mega. It doesn't really make as much sense to put so much emphasis on Ultimate's importance, when the real final goal is a level beyond that. So this honestly does work- it's not something the original did wrong, or something this is doing better. This is unique to this story and doesn't have a real comparison previously. It's interesting.

Also I will not apologize for using the English terminology, the subs keep using them and my brain is hardwired

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Really early Adventure 99 wasn't actually super interested in evolution level, for that arc the partners were basically either "Evolved" and "Unevolved". Andromon was identified as a Perfect which they state vaguely as being "more evolved" than their partners, and during the fight when he overpowers them the kids say "Oh hey, I guess a Perfect is way strong", but at that moment in the show there's never any concern about what if the villain was a Perfect also or any speculation on whether their partners could evolve that high themselves. Then an episode later Togemon beats Monzaemon in a test of strength. The idea that their partners could reach Perfect was essentially the story pitch for Etemon's arc, find all the macguffins and figure out how they work and this bad guy (Who's a Perfect! That's way strong!) will go down.

The concept of having an "Ultimate" digimon, a step above even Perfect (a name which itself implies that the digimon has completed it's potential for growth) was introduced in the Pendulum V-Pet that dropped late October 1998. Adventure started airing March 1999, so the first Ultimates (Herakles Kabuterimon, Saber Leomon, and Metal Etemon for those playing along at home) weren't even 6 months old by the time the anime began. It's really fascinating to consider it, but War Greymon, Metal Garurumon literally did not exist until Pendulum V5.0 which dropped around episode 27 or 18 of Adventure 99.

I'd honestly really love to learn more about Adventure 99's development and the decisions they made as the show went on. It would be really enlightening to learn what was posited when and perhaps more interesting when they decided to drop certain things. For instance Etemon's arc it's said a couple of times about how the cast were supposed to somehow be raising their partners V-Pet style, and that suggestion seemed to fade when they decided to run with the Crests being activated by certain virtues.

Adventure 99 is a glimpse of the franchise in a primordial state. As a brand Digimon was still cooling, and hindsight shows that many of the things the original Adventure did and the success it had did a lot to canonize and codify ideas that are now considered standard in Digimon. Adventure 20 is coming into this with some 24 years of franchise behind it, and that makes me even more interested in seeing where it goes. Adventure 20 is explicitly taking ideas from more than just the original Adventure, and that means there's a real chance we'll get some really wild and interesting stuff once the show ramps up.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah this episode was good, seeing Taichi and Yamato butt heads over something reasonable eases my worries that the kids being all pretty level headed this time would end up with idiot balls being dropped on them mid season or somethin to kick up some drama and feel like cheap tension.

I did get a chuckle seeing some re-used animation for the Greymon part of the fighting, though it just built up my expectations for the MetalGreymon reveal and hot drat did it live up to them with a bunch of great shots and action plus me being a sucker for insert songs doesn't hurt either lol.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I’m amazed to see how well this series does in making these old, tired forms seem impressive. Even as a kid, I found MetalGreymon to be the lamest of the Agumon line’s stages (Greymon, but bigger and with a new arm and hair). Here, even after decades of more impressive cyborg dinosaurs, it looks amazing.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Geostomp posted:

I’m amazed to see how well this series does in making these old, tired forms seem impressive. Even as a kid, I found MetalGreymon to be the lamest of the Agumon line’s stages (Greymon, but bigger and with a new arm and hair). Here, even after decades of more impressive cyborg dinosaurs, it looks amazing.

Bandai should have really let him stay his original color.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

At first, I thought it was kind of clever that Taichi acts as a decoy so the others could get to the swamp because it avoids the problem of having only one Digimon fight while the others are knocked out/stand uselessly to the side. But then Greymon and Taichi gets knocked away to where the others were and they just stood around for the rest of the fight anyway. I get that this lets them realize that if Greymon can evolve even further then so could their partners, but it just feels weird when Adventure: has been good at avoiding that so far.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Emong posted:

Bandai should have really let him stay his original color.

It should have made the wings metal and the hair wires. That would dive home the idea that this is a shoddily made cyborg dino who is barely still alive. The original color being due to metal poisoning is a nice touch, but it still barely looks different than a normal Greymon with a new arm and a wig.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

I'll second this. I was never a big MetalGreymon guy but holy poo poo this episode's depiction of MetalGreymon, with the glowing eyes and wings? It looked amazing and powerful. The very important jump in animation quality didn't hurt either, with the metal on both cyborgs being much better detailed. We even got official art of this MetalGreymon!
https://twitter.com/digimon_tv/status/1292260853828313090

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I was wondering why everything looked so cheap in the initial Greymon VS Metaltyrannomon fight; then when he digivolved it became pretty clear where the money was going.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The results of the ninth DigiPoll, Royal Knights, are out. The top slots are unsurprising but I'm shocked about the bottom slots, it seems people really did not like Savers.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1293383470232854531

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think it’s less to do with Savers and more to do with the fact that those just aren’t interesting knights.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, a lot of these Digimon are still pretty popular ones who end up on a lot of cards and merchandise. This is all relative, here.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I refuse to believe craniummon is anyone’s favorite digimon

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The first time I even saw Craniummon was this year in Cyber Sleuth and he was so unimpressive I didn't even realize he was a Royal Knight.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean he’s not my favorite but I rather like him.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Same. I'm not head over heels for Craniumon, but I dig him and his vibe. Personally my bottom 3 are Duftmon, Gankoomon, and JESmon, so I'm glad at least one of my least favorites is there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Let’s be honest: the majority of even serious fans couldn’t pick half the Royal Knights out of a lineup. The group has its top four or five superstars and a bunch of guys that are basically boss list filler.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think most serious fans would recognize members of one of the two most recognizable groups in the franchise, as well as fairly important cast members of one of the anime series.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

I think most serious fans would recognize members of one of the two most recognizable groups in the franchise, as well as fairly important cast members of one of the anime series.

I was being kind of kind of facecious, but the group members aren’t remotely treated equally. Remember, the group wasn’t fully assembled for years. When it was first designated a group, many of the members didn’t even exist yet. They aren’t exactly strict on keeping to the Medieval knight theme with Gankoomon or Examon (dragon with big gun). I’m still not sure why Magnamon or why about a third of the group are Veemon evolutions.

Then you have the superstars like Gallantmon, Alphamon, Imperialdramon PM, and especially Omegamon, who is basically the franchise equivalent of Charizard and Greninja combined.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You said "serious fans". I imagined that'd be people who followed the franchise for a long amount of time. This isn't exactly obscure knowledge for the franchise. It's casual fans that I'd expect wouldn't be up on this kinds of stuff, not that particular group.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

You said "serious fans". I imagined that'd be people who followed the franchise for a long amount of time. This isn't exactly obscure knowledge for the franchise. It's casual fans that I'd expect wouldn't be up on this kinds of stuff, not that particular group.

That was my bad.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

strict on keeping to the Medieval knight theme with Examon (dragon with big gun).

he's literally the pendragon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

i have followed the franchise since whenever season 1 released and i couldnt name half the royal knights, they have a bunch of thoroughly uninteresting members dog

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's Omnimon, Crusadermon, Dynasmon, Gallantmon, and...and...I think Magnamon is there for some reason?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

There's Omnimon, Crusadermon, Dynasmon, Gallantmon, and...and...I think Magnamon is there for some reason?

That's a pretty good summary for some of them

"For Some Reason"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I don't think any of their designs are bad really, but like there's definitely ones who're more favored by the franchise than others. There are enough Omnimon to form their own Royal Knights but when's the last time Gankoomon got shuffled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TheHan posted:

I don't think any of their designs are bad really, but like there's definitely ones who're more favored by the franchise than others. There are enough Omnimon to form their own Royal Knights but when's the last time Gankoomon got shuffled out.

He and Jesmon were super central to the new Digimon Chronicle X storyline that was the tie-in to the recent X V-Pets (IE, the reason they made X versions of all the remaining Royal Knights and Great Demon Lords).

As for the why of most of the Royal Knights it was to promote a thing. Why were Magnamon and Omegamon retroactively made Royal Knights? To represent for Adventure 99 and 02 prolly. That's also why Imperialdramon PM was added in as founder.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 14, 2020