Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I really wish those Ali Express jersey companies made american sized jerseys. I sure love XXXL jerseys that are an American medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Racmmer sizes are pretty much spot on

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

nm posted:

I really wish those Ali Express jersey companies made american sized jerseys. I sure love XXXL jerseys that are an American medium.

I've got some Racmmers, and as a 6' tall 160lb dude I'm a large. Perfect fit, seems about right.

Are these the aero fit, or regular?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 7, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Lmao, this is a $25 Ali Express kit company.

Fair

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

e.pilot posted:

updated the design a bit and moved the fake sponsors to the back:

waiting to hear back from racmmer at the moment to work on the design with them and will hopefully have something ready to go soonish as far as ordering goes

100% in on this

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Ortazel posted:

100% in on this

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

e.pilot posted:

e:
I’m also going to be selling these for cost+shipping so it’s not like I’m making big dollars off of this

+1, please

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I ordered a pair of theblackbibs shorts, and I'm pretty sure they fit, but are they supposed to feel like a big diaper that wants to ride up into my butt? This is my first pair of anything with a chamois and I'm assuming they just don't fit quite right.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The logos on back look has me wanting one as well, but I've got to admit that "standard sizing" does not help me much. I own everything from a S to a L across different brands (and eras). My best fitting jersey is a modern Morvelo M, though it could honestly be a touch tighter in the body, but not the arms. I have an sick 80's reebok jersey that fits perfectly, but the tags are too faded to tell what size it ever was.

E: 5'9", 155 lbs

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The logos on back look has me wanting one as well, but I've got to admit that "standard sizing" does not help me much. I own everything from a S to a L across different brands (and eras). My best fitting jersey is a modern Morvelo M, though it could honestly be a touch tighter in the body, but not the arms. I have an sick 80's reebok jersey that fits perfectly, but the tags are too faded to tell what size it ever was.

Are you able to find any size charts for a couple of your newer jerseys?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

you probably want a M then

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got some Racmmers, and as a 6' tall 160lb dude I'm a large. Perfect fit, seems about right.

6'4" and much, much larger. You don't break as much poo poo as I do at 160lbs.
Anyone got an idea how these fit against voler? Most of my jerseys are voler.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

e.pilot posted:

I was going to wait until this was a bit more finalized to post but it’s moving a bit faster than I expected and there’s a minimum order of 10 so trying to get as much interest as I can.

I’m putting together a stupid jersey, cost should be $25+ shipping. It’s through a china kit company called Racmmer I have a few jerseys from, they’re real nice even by normal jersey standards let alone chinakit.

I’ll put together a google form for sizes once the design is finalized and the order is ready to go, but I wanted to see if there was any interest now to get the ball rolling

e:
updated the design and moved the fake sponsors to the back:

This rules. 100% sign me up. 5’ 8” here...

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I went on a big ride yesterday, haven't got the motivation for a trip report yet, but today I'm especially sore only in my quads and calfs. Nothing in the glutes, hamstrings or hip flexors. I assume this is because I have terrible pedalling habits. I got into biking using flat pedals and became a masher. Now that I have clipless pedals, I still rarely do any kind of pulling around from 6-12 o'clock unless I'm actively thinking about it. I also assume that if I were to practice enough eventually it would become more natural.

My problem is that when I do pull through the bottom of the pedal stroke and up, it puts a lot more pressure on my sit bones (seems obvious). Over long rides, eventually all of my contact points get over the threshold into the painful category to some degree. Adding the pull seems like it will more than double the cumulative load on my sit bones. I thinking about this right? Any way around this? I feel like my fit is pretty good since I'm not sore in my back or neck after 17 hours in the saddle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nm posted:

Reasonable chance they will cancel the sale due to shipping issues.

Shipping from Japan is either hyper expensive these days or really slow. EMS Japan-US is not accepting packages (they will take letters). You either get surface mail (1-3mo) or UPS/Fedex wihcih will be $100+.
They put in in the post with DHL today, after a pretty long handling time, it seems. Might get here in less time.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spf3million posted:

I went on a big ride yesterday, haven't got the motivation for a trip report yet, but today I'm especially sore only in my quads and calfs. Nothing in the glutes, hamstrings or hip flexors. I assume this is because I have terrible pedalling habits. I got into biking using flat pedals and became a masher. Now that I have clipless pedals, I still rarely do any kind of pulling around from 6-12 o'clock unless I'm actively thinking about it. I also assume that if I were to practice enough eventually it would become more natural.

My problem is that when I do pull through the bottom of the pedal stroke and up, it puts a lot more pressure on my sit bones (seems obvious). Over long rides, eventually all of my contact points get over the threshold into the painful category to some degree. Adding the pull seems like it will more than double the cumulative load on my sit bones. I thinking about this right? Any way around this? I feel like my fit is pretty good since I'm not sore in my back or neck after 17 hours in the saddle.

Pulling up really isn't much benefit on clipless as you are probably pushing down way more on the opposite side

The real benefit is getting over the dead point at 12/6 o'clock. Try concentrating more on pulling your foot back at the base of your stroke, or as I heard someone very elegantly describing it as 'scraping poo poo off your shoe'

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Twerk from Home posted:

Yep 6ft 76 kilos = large

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

spf3million posted:

For me, it's all about cadence if you spinning away at 90+ rpm your not mashing. what kind of cadence do you pedal at?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

spf3million posted:

I've never noticed this being an issue except when doing rollers workouts where I really don't shift my weight at all for like an hour.

For remediating a questionable pedalstroke, i strongly suggest adding in some fixed gear riding. That'll cure you of not pedaling circles posthaste.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Cool thanks everyone. Maybe I'm not as bad off as I thought. Typical training ride I'm round 90 rpm. 80-85 rpm is probably closer to my natural not-thinking-about-it cadence when I'm fresh. And the longer the ride, the slower my cadence gets.

The power meters report pedal smoothness at ~20% and torque effectiveness around 65-70%. These seem average? I guess what got me thinking was that I rarely if ever feel like I'm using my hamstrings at all. I'll try the scrap the poo poo off method. I do also have a fixie which I rarely ride, maybe a good excuse to pull it out more often.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Decided to get a little bit out of town and go on a road ride yesterday. For this movemt challenge thing I'm signed up for both distance and elevation. The biggest paved climbs in town are only about 800ft so I've been doing most of it on dirt with either the cx or mtb but a good paved climb would be a better use of my time. Plus I needed a big mileage day so I went out to Wallace, ID to do an out and back to Thompson Falls, which involves going over two passes.

Was happy to see almost 1500 feet to the top of dobson pass in the first 30min

Then it was over to Thompson pass and back into mt

Which at this point had me at something like 35mi and 4000ft

Down to Thompson falls

A few snacks and a water refill

57 something miles at the turnaround, then back up

Down the other side. Coeur D'Alene river

Back up dobson to go over those mountains

https://www.strava.com/activities/3880444113

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 8, 2020

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That looks like an amazing ride. I'd love to have 800'+ continuous around here- max 350 per hump in these parts.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Went for a relaxed ride today.

There's a little gravel path around a reservoir that I keep passing and I figured today was a good day to check it out.

Around this time a song crept into my head and got stuck. I kept hearing it throughout the rest of the ride but its a good song so I didn't mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UMaV9C4Ig

The path ended up coming to a T and one way headed into the woods.

The other way headed uphill along the edge of a little field and more woods.

I'll have to look into what's back there and where it all goes and return to dive deeper into it someday soon.

Bike rides are wonderful.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 8, 2020

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Trip report:

I've always been interested in pushing my boundaries and getting further and further into type 2 fun. This ride would include several new personal bests: longest ride, longest stretch without services, most elevation gain. I'm in the best biking shape of my life and fresh off my successful 300k 6-bridges ride where I still had gas left in the tank at the end, so I'm feeling pretty confident.

I spent many hours developing this route remotely and even made an attempt last year but bailed pretty early on when my confidence evaporated while riding through the middle of the night. The route is 375 miles (600km) / 12,000' gain starting from my front door and ending at the Bakersfield Amtrak station. It includes a stretch of over 100 miles between services in central California and another 68 mile remote stretch through the Carrizo Valley. I wanted to complete it in 40 hours so I mapped out the distances and timed my start so I'd hit the few available stores during their open hours. There's a motel at mile 280 which I had planned on snagging a shower, a change of clothes, and 2-3 hours of sleep before getting back on the road and finishing the last 100. I wanted to try to do it during the summer to take advantage of more daylight hours and this week was perfect because a cool front happened to blow through. It was also close to a full moon so the night riding wouldn't be quite so night like.

I had to pack pretty heavy to ensure I had enough food and water to get through the long stretches plus the extra kit and a clean set of clothes for the 5 hour train ride home. I had a large battery to keep my phone, computer, and bluetooth headphones charged. All-in the bike weighted 42.5 lbs with 3 out of 5 bottles full of water.

I brought around 7,500 calories:

The newest addition to the pantry was browned butter rice crispy treats with flaky salt on top. Very good. Leftover pancakes.. not very good. Should have put bananas in them or something.

I did a dumb thing and changed up the bike setup shortly before the ride. I discovered my old aero bars while cleaning the garage and put them on and really liked the way they felt riding up and down the street. The arm cups are much better than the newer set I had been using. I also got a new set of bars which were 20mm wider. These were great and allowed me to use the tops outside of the aero bar armrests. Also the wider bar gave me more room for my hands which otherwise would rub on the handlebar bag. I compensated for the wider bars by shortening the stem by 10mm.

I rolled out at 8pm feeling nervous but pretty confident. Music selection: Eve 6. I was hoping to get through the East Bay, down Niles Canyon, through San Jose, Gilroy and Hollister and out of civilization by 5:30 to beat the morning commuter rush.

I like riding at night through cities, it's like the whole street is my playground. The first 6 hours or so were great aside from the stiff head wind. I was feeling strong but trying to stay mindful not to overexert so early in the ride. I had a printed schedule which I was checking periodically to make sure I stayed on track time-wise. It was an unusually cloudy evening so no moon but the street lights of San Jose were plenty. The next few hours riding through the countryside in the dark between Morgan Hill, Gilroy, and Hollister were kind of low points.

I had developed a sharp pain in my outer right quad near the knee attachment point. In hindsight I wonder if it was from a slightly different pedaling position due to the new cockpit or more likely the aerobars which I used maybe 20% of the time. I took some vitamin i and kept going hoping it would magically go away. I stopped for a 16 oz coke and two hash browns in Gilroy at the only place I could find that was open at 3:00 in the morning.

Once the sun started to come up around Paicines mile 120ish, it was a huge morale boost. My knee did magically did stop hurting and the weather was perfect. 60F, cloudy and mostly calm.

At some point one of my water bottles spontaneously self-ejected. Not sure exactly when it happened but I wasn't too worried since the weather was plenty cool and I wasn't overheating at all. I do think that I probably wasn't drinking enough water although I was definitely eating at max capacity.

Eventually the clouds burned off and I got onto Peach Tree Rd around mile 160. It was hot and my stomach was hurting. I didn't want to stop to put on sunscreen but I did anyway. I tried to increase my water consumption figuring that I was probably dehydrating and starting to sweat more which was pulling water away from my digestive system and stopping everything up. I pressed on, eating when I could. The road was in decent shape and the climb wasn't too steep.

My mood was pretty good aside from the stomach pain and the building discomfort in my sit bones and hands. There was one last oomph over the crest of the ridge and on the otherside I was hoping for a nice 25 mile descent into San Miguel where I could get some fresh food, cold liquid and rest for a bit.

Turns out Indian Valley Rd was sent from the devil himself to torture poor souls like me. There is a net 1,500' drop but it includes 700' of climbing which I was completely not expecting. To make matters worse, the temperature had risen to the mid 90s and the road surface completely deteriorated. I didn't take any pictures because I was in such bad shape. My right achilles tendon started feeling inflamed, like the sheath was too tight for the tendon, so every time I flexed my calf I could feel the hot friction in my achilles. Probably due to weird pedaling mechanics while trying to manage the knee pain from earlier.

Despite all that, I limped into San Miguel at mile 211 exactly three minutes behind my planned schedule. I inhaled a large blue gatorade and ate a very disappointing burrito along with a large coke plus 2 refills. I found a picnic table in the shade and rested and called my wife for a morale boost. There was a small town 23 miles down the route and then the hotel 45 miles beyond that. Cell reception was non-existent prior to San Miguel and I was pretty sure it'd be spotty for the next 105 miles. We talked for a while and ultimately I decided to bail on the rest of the ride. Had it not been for my achilles pain I think I could have kept going. It felt fine to walk but when I got back on the bike for a test ride it was pretty bad. I figured I'd rather live to ride another day than do some kind of long-term damage.

She heroically drove 3.5 hours to rescue me.

I was bitterly disappointed while laying around in the park waiting for her to get there. So much planning and it felt like the stars had aligned to make this an ideal attempt, but it was not to be. I think if I had others to ride with it would have been huge. Also had I not needed to carry so much with me, I think I could have gotten much farther. My bike probably weighed 10 lbs less on the 300k I finished 2 weeks prior. But really that stretch on Indian Valley Rd just broke my spirit, especially since I had been banking on a long descent where I could just coast and rest. When that didn't materialize and I had to work hard on the frequent, short, punchy mini-climbs and the road surface was approaching 100% patch-work with little of the initial pavement remaining, I lost the will to continue on. All of my contact points were some flavor of painful and the long rest and put me behind schedule by at least 30 minutes.

After a day of rest, re-feeding, and reflection, I feel less bad about the attempt. Riding new roads is always fun so I'm thankful I had that opportunity. Plus now I know what to expect next time and that always seems to make it easier for some reason. Miles 110-160 were incredible riding and I had a huge smile plastered on my face most of the time. Hopefully covid goes the gently caress away soon so I can ride some brevets with actual real people again.

Wildlife sightings:
4x coyotes
One owl landed on the street in front of me
Near miss with a young deer at high speed
Almost ran over a snake
One possum
Several large groups of quail
Many large birds of prey, hawks?
Infinity ground squirrels

https://www.strava.com/activities/3875579646

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
That sucks you didn't make it but it's still a hell of a journey. You'll nail it next time!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spf3million posted:

I limped into San Miguel at mile 211
...ate a very disappointing burrito along with a large coke plus 2 refills.
Can't imagine how nasty that burrito actually was.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Your body and/or mind just doesn't want to get to Bakersfield. Who can blame it?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

nm posted:

Your body and/or mind just doesn't want to get to Bakersfield. Who can blame it?

:hai:

Excellent trip report, spf3. You'll get it next time!!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

Now that I have clipless pedals, I still rarely do any kind of pulling around from 6-12 o'clock unless I'm actively thinking about it. I also assume that if I were to practice enough eventually it would become more natural.

You’re not supposed to pull from 6-12 o’clock, and it shouldn’t feel like pulling. The goal is simply to unweight the pedals so you aren’t wasting any any of the force put out by the leg currently on the downstroke.

We aren’t robots, our legs aren’t designed to apply a constant amount of force around a circle, and it’s not something that should be your goal unless you want 1) thicc calves and 2) to be slower on a bike. The one exception is full neuro/sprint efforts where you are way past your aerobic threshold and just trying to recruit every muscle , including those in your core and arms to propel you forward.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

Cool thanks everyone. Maybe I'm not as bad off as I thought. Typical training ride I'm round 90 rpm. 80-85 rpm is probably closer to my natural not-thinking-about-it cadence when I'm fresh. And the longer the ride, the slower my cadence gets.

The power meters report pedal smoothness at ~20% and torque effectiveness around 65-70%. These seem average? I guess what got me thinking was that I rarely if ever feel like I'm using my hamstrings at all. I'll try the scrap the poo poo off method. I do also have a fixie which I rarely ride, maybe a good excuse to pull it out more often.

This is another trap. Cadence depends on power output. I have no need to maintain 90-95rpm when I’m at 60% or even 80% of FT. I only hit mid 90s rpm once I reach FT, and I actually hit 100-105 when I am past VO2max. If I’m in Z3, I’m probably around 85rpm...Z2 probably 80rpm or lower.

65-70% TE is pretty bad though, so maybe you aren’t doing a very good job of unweighting the pedal on the upstroke at all. I would say anything in the mid 80% is good for TE. Mid 20% for PS is good. My TE is 87-88% on some days, 90-91% on other days. PS ranges from 21-27%. These numbers change depending on how hard I’m riding. The harder the ride, the more efficient my pedaling is forced to be. If I’m just noodling around, the percentages will be quite low.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Thoughts on Wahoo v. Garmin v. any other speed/cadence sensors? Non-magnet ones.
Wahoo is quite a bit cheaper, but I've had two sets of garmins I'm happy with.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nm posted:

Thoughts on Wahoo v. Garmin v. any other speed/cadence sensors? Non-magnet ones.
Wahoo is quite a bit cheaper, but I've had two sets of garmins I'm happy with.

My wahoo speed sensors have been fine but my wahoo cadence sensor ate batteries like crazy

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I broke 3 straps for the Garmin cadence mount. No issues with the wahoo one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Had to replace my Wahoo speed sensor battery already, and the strap for the mount was so tight the middle band snapped.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I haven't had any issues with my Magene one. I think mine was ~$12 from aliexpress. The first battery lasted something like 2000 miles. Been a little worse since then but that might be on the batteries I'm using since they're pretty old.

sokatoah
Oct 6, 2005

Oh gods, how do we find the hypotenuse?

My road rim brakes can cause my tires to lock up and skid, wet or dry. Once i'm skidding, what's the advantage of more braking power from discs?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

sokatoah posted:

My road rim brakes can cause my tires to lock up and skid, wet or dry. Once i'm skidding, what's the advantage of more braking power from discs?

I can lock up coaster brakes or a brakeless fixie. What's the advantage of rim brakes?

--

A short list of some real answers:

With rim brakes, your rim is a consumable.
Disc brakes provide better modulation.
Disc brakes perform the same in all conditions. (Don't use the same braking points with carbon rims and rim brakes in the rain.)
Rim brakes, steep descents and carbon clinchers is bad juju.
Rim brakes, steep descents, alloy rims and latex tubes is bad juju.
Disc brakes allow for wider tires without sacrificing brake design / leverage.
Disc brakes do not care if your wheel isn't true.
Disc brakes do not care if the edge of your rim is a bit chewed up.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 9, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

For me I could deal with all of them until I get to the point about expensive rims being consumables, and how garbage carbon rims are for rim braking.
If you're fine with aluminum rims, and especially if you live somewhere flat and/or dry, it's probably pretty easy to just stick with rim brakes and save a not insignificant amount of money.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I am going to preface this by saying that I’m not going back to this bike shop and that I am completely clueless when it comes to bike maintenance.

A few weeks ago, started riding my bike (Giant Hybrid, about 12 years old) recreationally again after about 3 and half years just hanging in the garage. Yesterday I noticed my front tire was completely flat and my tires had cracks in the sidewall anyway, so decided today was going to be the day I learned how to replace bike tires.

Went to a local shop, told them what size tires I had (28x1.75) and gave me a set of 28x2 with assurances that was what they had and that it’s be fine. Got them home and installed, and ultimately had to uninstall my fenders because they couldn’t accommodate the different tire size and my rear wheel is occasionally rubbing against the non-drive side of my frame. It’s also incredibly difficult to get my rear wheel on past one of the fender bolts (I didn’t know if it would be a problem if I left the hole open.

Ended up taking the whole bike into the shop and basically told them that it’s been in storage for the last few years and was wanting someone who knew what they’re doing to give my bike a once over and in particular the rear wheel was rubbing against the frame. What they did was look at the bike, tell me that my rear wheel wasn’t centered, so I should recenter it which clearly I know how to do, and also my brake pads would probably need to be replaced if they were sitting around that long. After I told her I did not know how to recenter my wheel, she offered to see if the mechanic could do a quick adjustment for me, and I agreed and asked about the brake pad replacement, and was told that would take a work ticket and would take a long time and basically told me to wait a minute while she had the mechanic take a quick look and to bring it back after I had been riding it for a while when it “actually needs a full tuneup.”

Five minutes later I was leaving the shop with my bike and the information that apparently I didn’t seat the rear wheel in the dropouts correctly. I was also admonished for over inflating my tires (they’re 58 psi max, I had them at like 50). Got it home and took it on a test ride, and sure enough the tire is still rubbing, so I’m going to try another bike shop tomorrow, because I have no clue how to resolve this.

Two questions I have: 1) Can I safely remove the unused fender bolts from the frame so it’s easier to remove/install my rear wheel? And 2) did I get treated the way I did because I was asking them for piddly poo poo that wasn’t worth the shop’s time for what they could reasonably charge me, or am I right to feel like I got hosed a bit here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

1) yes you can remove the fender bolts
2) You were left with a bike that wasn't safe to ride after they had it in the shop and a mechanic had looked at it. That's unacceptable. They shouldn't have sold you larger tires without confirming they could fit - which might have meant telling you they didn't have any tires for you. If they didn't have time to do anything on your bike they shouldn't have given you the impression they could.
That said: most bike shops right now are understaffed, overworked, and dealing with huge supply chain issues and frustrated customers. I'm sure they thought they were doing you a favor by trying to squeeze you in and do something for you instead of turning you away empty handed. I try not to jump to judgment of underpaid retail employees.