Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

everythingWasBees posted:

that's too long to wait
let ppl start early or start late imo

aug 15 to end of october?
that way people have plenty of time and they can start earlier if they want to

How about now until the end of October? I don't see much point holding off the start until Saturday when a bunch of posters can just grab a kit from their backlog and get to work now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

yeah sure

grunt suit group build, from today until end of october

gms, zakus, mocks, petitguys, grimoire, leo, death army, kapool, etc

if you have a question about whether it counts post here and ill make an arbitrary judgement

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 9, 2020

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

customizing or kitbashing or painting/detailing a straight build you've already built also totally counts don't need to buy a new kit

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
now i have an excuse to paint a leo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm planning on painting my RG Evas, so I'm really interested in your findings.

That said, I can promise you the PG Eva is most assuredly not the better kit. I'd buy all the old clunky kits from the 90s before I'd get the PG.

So far I'm thinking a good approach would be to ignore the skeleton , which mostly only peeks through small gaps in the armor. Some of the stickers are very reflective, so those would get used even on a painted kit.

You can see the shiny stickers on the inner frame on the right side.

Torso and leg. There's a good bit of frame to paint. I think full assembly, then paint before the armor goes on. The tolerance on the armor seems just loose enough to allow for that

Classic EVA profile

You've gotten its attention !

Uh oh !

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

yeah sure

if you have a question about whether it counts post here and ill make an arbitrary judgement

So, basically anything that, if you check on Gundam Wiki, is described as "Mass-produced"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

So, basically anything that, if you check on Gundam Wiki, is described as "Mass-produced"?
Yeah basically, and commander/personal variants of those suits.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I was debating on holding off on buying because Gundam Planet is apparently breaking out the emergency gunpla reserves for stock, but then I saw that there's now a Haropla then has the keyboard and now I guess I'm gonna be working on a Zaku for the group build...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Do 30MM kits count as grunt suits for the purpose of the group build, yay or nay?

I'm thinking probably best not since the last group build was a dedicated 30MM one.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Do 30MM kits count as grunt suits for the purpose of the group build, yay or nay?

I'm thinking probably best not since the last group build was a dedicated 30MM one.

it's not a Gundam grunt suit so no.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sweet, I got a MG Zaku II 2.0 (Ground variant) a few weeks ago. I just started my RG Sazabi but I will give that a go once I am done with it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Just checked one of the ones I have and it's a mass produced grunt and oh my if I I pull it off its is going to be glorious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Yeah basically, and commander/personal variants of those suits.

I'd say to exclude the Customs, because creating one is the whole point of the build imo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Are ya kidding me, 5 minutes after I send in an order for an RG Zaku II and I get an email saying that RG Sazabi and Banshee Unicorn are back in stock at the local store :negative:

Guess I'll finish my Zaku first before buying either/both of them. Unless they sell really quickly, I guess.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I got a restock email saying the RG Sazabi was in stock as I was adding other kits to my cart a few weeks back, I've never slammed "add to cart" faster in my life and regret nothing. I envy your ability to pick a RG Unicorn, I've spent a month trying to figure out if I want the Unicorn, Banshee, or Full Armour.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah my local store has all 3 of the RG Unicorns in stock, but assuming they're still in stock after I do my Zaku for the group build, I'll probably get Sazabi first before committing to a Unicorn. Also considering I just started with gunpla I'd rather not burn myself out too hard on Full Armour :v:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

mllaneza posted:

So far I'm thinking a good approach would be to ignore the skeleton , which mostly only peeks through small gaps in the armor. Some of the stickers are very reflective, so those would get used even on a painted kit.

You can see the shiny stickers on the inner frame on the right side.

Torso and leg. There's a good bit of frame to paint. I think full assembly, then paint before the armor goes on. The tolerance on the armor seems just loose enough to allow for that

Classic EVA profile

You've gotten its attention !

Uh oh !

Thanks, that does help. I'll be painting the entirety of Unit-00, so I'll report back when I have made terrible mistakes.

In case it saves your butt, I've found that just spraying Vallejo Mecha matte is about the flattest, nicest topcoat I've seen, and it'd definitely need less respacing to do a single layer of varnish than primer, paint, paint again, etc.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Everyone posted:

Build the Grimoire

Good choice.

This was a lot of fun to build, even if it's not the most poseable kit. Really needed something like this after the last few weeks, just a fun, unique HD and OH MY GOD

It's pilot is a loving ferret! That's amazing!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Not just a ferret, a Nazi Zeon ferret.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gonna buy a wing gundam kit to beat up all of your guys kits

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Paper Kaiju posted:

Not just a ferret, a Nazi Zeon ferret.

With the screen name Rommel. So, Ermine Rommel. No I am not making this up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

USA Gundam Store is fine, right? Never ordered from them before but they're the only place I can find a few HGs I want.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I've ordered some stuff though them with no issues

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

USA Gundam Store is fine, right? Never ordered from them before but they're the only place I can find a few HGs I want.

they tend to be fine, I know a few people have had issues with them in the past but I've always had a good experience.

make sure to use one of the discount codes floating around for it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

They used to “forget” preorders until you sent them an email and weren’t good about communication but they never failed to send and have improved in recent years. I’d still shop elsewhere but if they’re the only ones in stock then they’re OK.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Anyone know of any US-based stores with the Leo NPD in stock?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Anyone know of any US-based stores with the Leo NPD in stock?

Try these guys, they're in Little Tokyo in LA: https://animejungle.net/gundam-build-divers-high-grade-1-144-scale-model-kit-oz-06ms-mmpd-n-leo-npd/

Send me a PM if you get stuck.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 11, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

END ME SCOOB, stupidly, on April 12th posted:

With where I'm stopping tonight, I haven't begun doing the hot-swap but the actual parts are all lovely and have given me zero trouble. I'll probably finish off Cyclone/Joker tomorrow and start in on the next to see how it goes. Also I don't have many more recent kits (I think these are the newest I own) to compare, but it's the easiest I've assembled to date.

So it turns out I did eventually finish the kit, four months later.

https://twitter.com/bustrider/status/1292992651310936064

It's fascinatingly designed, especially if you want to put it together in the split/mixable fashion as opposed to the stable center variety. I do not recall HG kits having such incredibly irritatingly tiny parts as the Gaia Memories or the perfectly smooth round eye reflectors. I can also see why it comes with a stand*, my dude does NOT want to stay vertical because he has human-proportion feet and not mecha fat-base feet.

* okay it's totally so you can pose it doing rider kicks, but still

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

So it turns out I did eventually finish the kit, four months later.

https://twitter.com/bustrider/status/1292992651310936064

It's fascinatingly designed, especially if you want to put it together in the split/mixable fashion as opposed to the stable center variety. I do not recall HG kits having such incredibly irritatingly tiny parts as the Gaia Memories or the perfectly smooth round eye reflectors. I can also see why it comes with a stand*, my dude does NOT want to stay vertical because he has human-proportion feet and not mecha fat-base feet.

* okay it's totally so you can pose it doing rider kicks, but still

The worst piece I've ever seen, as far as size goes, is the transparent bit from the GM Sniper II's sliding visor. Absurdly tiny. Even RGs don't tend to get that awkward.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

In case it saves your butt, I've found that just spraying Vallejo Mecha matte is about the flattest, nicest topcoat I've seen, and it'd definitely need less respacing to do a single layer of varnish than primer, paint, paint again, etc.

So... just topcoat the skeleton with matte spray and save the paint for the armor ?

Unlucky7 posted:

Sweet, I got a MG Zaku II 2.0 (Ground variant) a few weeks ago. I just started my RG Sazabi but I will give that a go once I am done with it.

I just finished an HG Sazabi ! This was my fourth airbrushed kit and this was when I started working on shading. On the whole, I think I'm going to be mostly pre-shading over the primer. I initially tried a mix of 6-7 drops base color plus a drop of black for doing post shading, which turned out super dark. Those parts looked like they'd been walked through an oil refinery fire, so I gave them another coat of the base red turning them into pre-shaded pieces. The rest of the kit was pre-shaded with dark or medium brown added to base color in about a 1:5 ratio. I could have done a second coat of the base color, but as it is it looks super weathered, like Char has been flying through a lot of explosions and they haven't had time to repaint it yet.

Not terrible for a first attempt at shading. The legs came out better than the arms since they were done as the third batch of shaded parts. Next time I'm NOT painting the interior of the thrusters loving yellow over black, and the other yellow bits to paint... I'm spraying them yellow and put the red on with a brush.

I'll get more pictures Friday. Yes, I need a base that also displays the Funnels.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I was chatting with a friend about gunpla, and they very kindly sent me a 7-11 Acguy for my birthday! Pics to follow when I get all the delightfully branded decals on, but right now I'm just mad that I can't keep building regular HG Acguys all day long since they're so thoroughly out of print. Let me fill my house with Acguys, Bandai!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Just Dan Again posted:

I was chatting with a friend about gunpla, and they very kindly sent me a 7-11 Acguy for my birthday! Pics to follow when I get all the delightfully branded decals on, but right now I'm just mad that I can't keep building regular HG Acguys all day long since they're so thoroughly out of print. Let me fill my house with Acguys, Bandai!

I love that little SOB. Looks like it has to do a special moveset with its arms to unleash its primary attack.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just Dan Again posted:

Every Gundam kit but one gets reprinted eventually. There's just a cycle where some disappear for a while with the price ramping up. The Gerbera Tetra was pretty infamous for a bit, for example.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What's the one that won't get reprints?

RG Zaku II ready for the group build.

Also got my Tallgeese a stand. Very cool.

I think I've caught the gunpla bug.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

What's the one that won't get reprints?

According to what I've heard, the original HG RX-78 from 1990. It had a reissue in 2001, then was permanently discontinued.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

mllaneza posted:

So... just topcoat the skeleton with matte spray and save the paint for the armor ?

If the tolerances are just that tight, I'd settle with topcoating the whole thing as the single applied layer. I'd definitely just varnish the skeleton as opposed to painting if you're gonna do the whole thing, though - it'll take the shine off the skeleton where it peeks through the armor and blend it with the rest of the components.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

yeah sure

oh drat, guess i haven an excuse to build that hg origins zaku ii

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Well, just ordered my MG GM Sniper II to participate. Let's see if I will actually have it till the deadline. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

According to what I've heard, the original HG RX-78 from 1990. It had a reissue in 2001, then was permanently discontinued.

Too bad they never made another 1/144 RX-78-2 kit after that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

now to customize
this was a really fun build