Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

He also did his TOTAL LIFE ANNIHILATION move, which previously turned an entire arena into a sea of terrifying blood. The rings falling and Solomon's opponent being alive after that are more than enough for them to think he lost, or at least that something unprecedented has occurred.

And here's a question: What response did Solomon expect? Did he expect sorrow and mourning when the father was struck down? Did he expect his empire to ask him to stay, even as he graciously stepped aside? Did he think their love for him outweighed the terror of his power, or the joy of seeing an underdog stand up and face him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Someone post the corncob wint tweet please

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nilbop posted:

But nobody saw him get punched? They saw him take off his bangles, then the ground exploded, then there's two people about thirty feet from each other.

I want an audience member with keen enough eyes to point and say "Oh no! The emperor has suddenly sprouted lesions!"

Consider; The man in the ring is looked down upon by the audience.

They don't come to watch him win, they've all been waiting for this moment as much as Salami Dave has. And seeing his golden rings hit the ground instead of land back on his hands while his opponent goresplodes after a perfect victory, again, is an imperfection in the diamond that is Solomon David, Paternum of the Celestial Empire.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Solly miscalculated. He never thought about the scenario where a tourney fighter wasn't an appropriate successor or enough to win, but did enough to dispel the image of complete and utter invincibility that is what keeps his empire staying perfectly in line.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Solly miscalculated. He never thought about the scenario where a tourney fighter wasn't an appropriate successor or enough to win, but did enough to dispel the image of complete and utter invincibility that is what keeps his empire staying perfectly in line.

You don't have to win to win.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think the insinuation is that the crowd is all on White Chain's side and Dave would be ill advised to kill her right in front of them.

They seem like they are worm riddled

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

E: As noted I will be really unimpressed if everyone's already worms, because that takes away from the moment here in a big way.

I wouldn't be surprised if at this point most people aren't worms, but there are a few scattered here and there that will take advantage of things to... ferment.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dmitri-9 posted:

They seem like they are worm riddled

a lot of the folks in the crowd seem pretty nervous, i assume those are the ones who are not yet gog

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

eke out posted:

a lot of the folks in the crowd seem pretty nervous, i assume those are the ones who are not yet gog

The crowd being all gog would really undermine the idea that there is a collective future worth fighting for.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

while I definitely agree that the whole "everyone already worms" would be lame and a bit forced, it'd be equally contrived if there weren't still some sleeper worms after the lore of her having done a soft war to get her annoucer position

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hoo boy this rabbit hole again

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The crowd are not wormed.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

akulanization posted:

The crowd being all gog would really undermine the idea that there is a collective future worth fighting for.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

while I definitely agree that the whole "everyone already worms" would be lame and a bit forced, it'd be equally contrived if there weren't still some sleeper worms after the lore of her having done a soft war to get her annoucer position

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hoo boy this rabbit hole again

All of these are pretty reasonable positions, and I apologize for starting another worm war.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No war but worm war.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

that mouseover text though, hooooooooo.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

not gonna jump in on the “how many wormed is too much worms” but I’ll be sad if we don’t get a gog-agog amalgam titan out of this

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
worm people all have a pretty obvious zoned-out demeanor. these people are genuinely having a good time watching the future of beautiful rayuba crumble in front of them (they haven't thought that far ahead yet)

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Looking at the last two panels looking at the creepy smiling faces of the audience and at the creepy smiling faces of gog-agog, having a sizeable chunk of the audience be wormed would make sense. A lot of the previously wormed people we've seen have had ecstatic smiles.

As an aside, I wonder what clowned Solmon would look like if he gets wormed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

worm people all have a pretty obvious zoned-out demeanor. these people are genuinely having a good time watching the future of beautiful rayuba crumble in front of them (they haven't thought that far ahead yet)

On the contrary, I'd wager Gog-Agog's thought very far ahead and is simply been waiting for this exact moment. One of the big cliches is nobody ever pays attention or listens to the court jester, and when you're functionally immortal and indestructible you can afford to be patient and have some fun in the meantime. Why waste the energy openly fighting with Solomon David when you can make an agreement that openly lets you be at the one opportunity that may expose a weakness in him, at the heart of his empire no less? For someone sufficiently patient, the Ring of Power is a waiting game for when someone inevitably actually strikes Solomon David and either kills him or exposes him as vulnerable, even if it takes centuries. Gog-Agog even nudged Allison into coming just to try and arrange an Heir vs Demiurge fight to push things along, remember.

And now Solomon has been shown as imperfect.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 12, 2020

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah you guys and your conspiracy theories. Not everyone has worms you guys even if having worms would be totally cool and fun!

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Woah you guys and your conspiracy theories. Not everyone has worms you guys even if having worms would be totally cool and fun!

Sounds exactly like what someone who has been wormed would say :tinfoil:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MinutePirateBug posted:

The eyes on Shoehead's avatar are quite green, but I think they're just being silly.

Get the flamethrowers.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MinutePirateBug posted:

No I'm pretty sure they'd say "□□□□□□□□□□□□"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh I am eagerly waiting the end of this book for no other reason than to make everyone shut the gently caress up about worms!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The part we’re going to hate is when White Chain dies because she couldn’t figure out how to breathe.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

OhFunny posted:

The part we’re going to hate is when White Chain dies because she couldn’t figure out how to breathe.

"H-how do I poop?"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

OhFunny posted:

I'm pretty sure Garfield used that insult on Odie once

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I dunno about this worm buisness, but this page has a lot of quality faces.

Allison and Co. being mobbed by mooks is also a good laugh

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

This page is great but I'm super worried for white chain even more now. This is 100% the kind of moment where salami dave has his villainous downfall and shows his true colors in front of an audience by throwing a fit over getting hit and attacking WC while she's down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OhFunny posted:

I just had a thought for what the "part we're going to hate" might be, and maybe we're looking in the wrong place.

Just for argument's sake; What if Zaid, somewhat the over-arching goal of the entire plot up til now, gets/takes a Worm? He's been pushed around for over a year now, held prisoner and helpless in the presence of Demiurges, and what does Gog-Agog like to offer to people like that? Especially the supposed successor to Zoss.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just had a thought for what the "part we're going to hate" might be, and maybe we're looking in the wrong place.

Just for argument's sake; What if Zaid, somewhat the over-arching goal of the entire plot up til now, gets/takes a Worm? He's been pushed around for over a year now, held prisoner and helpless in the presence of Demiurges, and what does Gog-Agog like to offer to people like that? Especially the supposed successor to Zoss.

well, that would be dumb, so

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could be. Establishing the worm as a threat on scale equal to that of the Red God wouldn't be horrible.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MinutePirateBug posted:

Could be. Establishing the worm as a threat on scale equal to that of the Red God wouldn't be horrible.

Zaid's just some guy

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Zaid is barely a character in this story, he's been fleshed out a bit in this chapter(mainly as being hot), but I don't think anyone would really care if he died.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Zaid's just some guy

kind of? Salami wouldn't have taken the trouble to buy him off of Mammon if there was absolutely nothing potentially going on with him? he has some place in prophecy or his destiny was completely botched, but there is something vaguely interesting about him

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-1-7/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He's probably important, sure, but he isn't gonna power up Agog any more than a normal human would

oh dammit I got sucked into worm talk. NO. NO MORE

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The point with Zaid is that everyone thinks he's important. It doesn't matter if he isn't or that Allison can blow up buildings with a punch now; Zaid is real estate, and Sol is hedging his bets.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Zaid also represents an easy in for both Allison and the reader as a starting point on where to challenge the hegemonic power of the demiurges. The entire arc of chapter is nominally a plan about rescuing him, but its obivious that the real focus here is on A) a badass martial arts tournament, B) the culmination of WC's character arc, and C) showcasing Solomon's empire, the cruelty of his style of rule, and the shattering of its status quo. Zaid being there is just an excuse for Allison and co. to be there, same as with the heist last chapter.

There's probably going to be a break in this format in order to signal the fact that the next chapter is the final one, but I'm fairly certain that it'll move Zaid futher away from the spotlight.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
non worm talk: i just noticed how in the fourth panel White Chain's staring at her own not-stone arms in disbelief. it's a nice detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That’s an interesting idea. Gog knows Allison wants to rescue him. He has an important part to play in this story still, I think. And it would be a way to center things right back on Allison and really lay her low going into the final book. Maybe it won’t involve worms exactly but I think it will involve Zaid, that makes plenty of sense.