Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ed balls balls man posted:

Hoo boy have to wait till the 20th in the UK. Rooting for the General!

If you're reading, is there any social stuff that would be useful to amplify for the release?

Post honest reviews to Amazon, once the book hits 50 reviews the algorithm starts treating it like a real boy. Also thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

freebooter posted:

Finished Blind Lake, a first contact novel which was a 2003 Hugo nominee. I really enjoyed it; a solid 4/5 star book. It's about a research facility in the Midwest using technology they don't quite understand to monitor aliens in a city on another planet; at the same time an unexplained military cordon/lockdown/quarantine descends on their facility, the alien they've been monitoring breaks his unchanging routine and departs the city to walk into the desert. And I think that dual mystery of "why have we been quarantined with no explanation" and "why has The Subject departed his city and gone into the desert on some kind of... pilgrimage?" works really well in a gripping airport thriller kind of way. Most engaging sci-fi book I've read since The Last Policeman trilogy.

This sounds interesting enough that I've put it on my to-read list, thanks!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, the first Oxford Time Travel novel.

I was expecting something cozy, and I think the next book is closer to that, but Jesus what a bleak novel Doomsday Book turned out to be. Good book but damned depressing.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

Finished Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, the first Oxford Time Travel novel.

I was expecting something cozy, and I think the next book is closer to that, but Jesus what a bleak novel Doomsday Book turned out to be. Good book but damned depressing.

fair warning that blackout/all clear are far more boring than books about time travel during the Blitz have any right to be

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

fair warning that blackout/all clear are far more boring than books about time travel during the Blitz have any right to be

Also, if you're actually British and especially a Londoner you will realise that despite claiming to do a lot of research, she really didn't and its jarring. At one point the characters ride on the Jubilee Line . Which is named for the current Queen's Silver Jubilee and thus opened in 1979.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

freebooter posted:

Finished Blind Lake, a first contact novel which was a 2003 Hugo nominee. I really enjoyed it; a solid 4/5 star book. It's about a research facility in the Midwest using technology they don't quite understand to monitor aliens in a city on another planet; at the same time an unexplained military cordon/lockdown/quarantine descends on their facility, the alien they've been monitoring breaks his unchanging routine and departs the city to walk into the desert. And I think that dual mystery of "why have we been quarantined with no explanation" and "why has The Subject departed his city and gone into the desert on some kind of... pilgrimage?" works really well in a gripping airport thriller kind of way. Most engaging sci-fi book I've read since The Last Policeman trilogy.

This was a pretty enjoyable read, good characters and concept, and it threw me for a major loop at the end: I assumed the computer system was "dreaming" the aliens and they didn't actually exist. Imagine my surprise!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

feedmegin posted:

Also, if you're actually British and especially a Londoner you will realise that despite claiming to do a lot of research, she really didn't and its jarring. At one point the characters ride on the Jubilee Line . Which is named for the current Queen's Silver Jubilee and thus opened in 1979.

I googled the author maybe 20-30 pages in to Doomsday book because I had a hunch she wasn't actually British. Her British speech felt a bit on the nose in the beginning, and I wasn't remotely surprised to find out she was an American. She got over it pretty quick though, but yeah, it's kinda obvious even without being British. It was the over use of "I do so hope that" specifically that made me suspicious.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Post honest reviews to Amazon, once the book hits 50 reviews the algorithm starts treating it like a real boy. Also thank you!

I'm surprised someone hasn't written a sci-fi dystopia where society is ruled by an extremely blatant reimplementation of amazon's book sorting algorithm

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Ben Nerevarine posted:

This was a pretty enjoyable read, good characters and concept, and it threw me for a major loop at the end: I assumed the computer system was "dreaming" the aliens and they didn't actually exist. Imagine my surprise!

Can you spoil the reveal for me? I read it like 15 years ago and don't quite remember, though I recall the setup quite well.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Can you spoil the reveal for me? I read it like 15 years ago and don't quite remember, though I recall the setup quite well.

If I remember, the crystal-like structure that destroyed the previous facility turns out to be a natural consequence of intelligent life. The same sort of structures pop up wherever there's an intelligent species in the universe, and these structures communicate with each other instantaneously and comprise some sort of super-intelligence. The aliens that the facility was "seeing" was really just the human scientists tapping into these structures communicating with each other instantaneously over interstellar distances. The lobster aliens exist but, like humans, they are really just one more instance of the necessary step before these super-intelligent structures come into being.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Thanks, I don't remember that at all. Guess I'll read it again!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Is this the author who thought that there were 5 pence in a shilling?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Steven Brust's The Baron of Magister Valley was good. It's the weakest of the Paarfi novels, but still drat good. Now we just need to find out how badly Vlad has to gently caress up that the cycle turns and Norathar takes the throne.
poo poo, there's a new Paarfi book? This month just keeps on giving.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

I mean there were...after 1971. Also she thinks Manchester is in the Midlands which is roughly like saying Atlanta is in the Midwest (and our North has close to as much regional identity and pride as the US South right down to being on the losing side of our Civil War so yeah thats a big nono).

And yeah her characters' dialogue is very noticeably American.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 11, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

There are five pence in a shilling. This just wasn't the case prior to decimalisation in 1971.

My personal All-Time Award for Bad Research goes to Ben Aaronovitch, who when asked which building on Russell Square was meant to be the Folly admitted that he didn't actually go there to check out the buildings despite living two Tube stations away.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

feedmegin posted:

I mean there were...after 1971. Also she thinks Manchester is in the Midlands which is roughly like saying Atlanta is in the Midwest (and our North has close to as much regional identity and pride as the US South so yeah thats a big nono).

I'm the one who set off pounds vs. kilograms chat, and I couldn't imagine trying to accurately portray specific bits of the UK in a novel.

Even outside of SF/F, are there novelists who have really captured, accurately, society outside of their own experience? Stephen King may get poo poo for always setting his novels in Maine but it's obvious why when he tries to capture even other parts of America.

Precluding historical novels where we're all basically working off the same written knowledge.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

I'm the one who set off pounds vs. kilograms chat, and I couldn't imagine trying to accurately portray specific bits of the UK in a novel.

Even outside of SF/F, are there novelists who have really captured, accurately, society outside of their own experience? Stephen King may get poo poo for always setting his novels in Maine but it's obvious why when he tries to capture even other parts of America.

Precluding historical novels where we're all basically working off the same written knowledge.

You can ask someone from the place you're portraying to proofread your poo poo, and then actually listen to them. That would have caught a lot.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I mean there were...after 1971.

I meant in a book set during WWII of course

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I was a bit worried about diving into The Tyrant Baru Cormorant without rereading the previous books, but the opening got me back up to speed pretty quickly (but nicely done without a clunky Last Time on Baru Betrays Everyone wall of exposition) and I am excited to be back in this depressing world!

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Quinton posted:

I was a bit worried about diving into The Tyrant Baru Cormorant without rereading the previous books, but the opening got me back up to speed pretty quickly (but nicely done without a clunky Last Time on Baru Betrays Everyone wall of exposition) and I am excited to be back in this depressing world!

I was wondering about rereading. I'm still rereading Gideon before going into Harrow, and I did reread Traitor before reading Monster, but I was wondering if I should reread Traitor and Monster, or just Monster, or skip that. (Very economical to reread books I guess).

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Sibling of TB posted:

I was wondering about rereading. I'm still rereading Gideon before going into Harrow, and I did reread Traitor before reading Monster, but I was wondering if I should reread Traitor and Monster, or just Monster, or skip that. (Very economical to reread books I guess).

I think rereading Gideon before Harrow (if the details are not fresh in your mind) is worthwhile due to some specifics of the structure of Harrow.

Thus far (just a couple chapters in), Tyrant has been good about reminding me how we got here. I did reread Traitor ahead of Monster though.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Thirteen by Richard K Morgan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SCHCAQ/

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG6MG3Y/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Why does that 13 book sound familiar? Did it have some hosed up plot bit that we talked about?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

There are five pence in a shilling. This just wasn't the case prior to decimalisation in 1971.

My personal All-Time Award for Bad Research goes to Ben Aaronovitch, who when asked which building on Russell Square was meant to be the Folly admitted that he didn't actually go there to check out the buildings despite living two Tube stations away.

I remember in The Forge of God Greg Bear was under the illusion that Melbourne is Australia's capital and that there's a "Royal" Australian Army (that one's especially puzzling since even the British Army doesn't have the royal prefix)

TheAardvark posted:

Any specific scenes you're thinking of here? Obviously I'm an outsider but I've never noticed anything off in his portrayal of other places. He certainly seems to have a decent handle on New York City, at least.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

freebooter posted:

I remember in The Forge of God Greg Bear was under the illusion that Melbourne is Australia's capital and that there's a "Royal" Australian Army (that one's especially puzzling since even the British Army doesn't have the royal prefix)

To be fair the Air Force and Navy are both Royal, and aren't there some units that are Royal Australian Regiments? I can kind of get why he'd extrapolate from that and just assume the whole army had the prefix. The Melbourne thing is especially puzzling though, I remember being pretty confused by it when I read the book.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

There are some regiments that are royal in the British army and a bunch of Commonwealth countries; the Army itself not being royal I think dates back to medieval times when there was no standing army and the various barons and lords were tasked with raising regiments in times of war, which was a duty but also a right because they didn't want to entrust that power to the crown.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Why does that 13 book sound familiar? Did it have some hosed up plot bit that we talked about?

I read the Amazon synopsis and it just sounded like Bladerunner to me for some reason.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
13 is also called Black Man I believe. It’s okay. More Morgan super manly men doing manly things.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

There are some regiments that are royal in the British army and a bunch of Commonwealth countries; the Army itself not being royal I think dates back to medieval times when there was no standing army and the various barons and lords were tasked with raising regiments in times of war, which was a duty but also a right because they didn't want to entrust that power to the crown.

The modern army isn't royal because it's descended from Parliament's New Model Army, founded during the 1640s to fight the Royal armies. Also, it needs Parliament's approval to continue existing.

Regarding research fails: apparently in N. K. Jemisin's new book there's a scene where a Brit uses a pound note for something, which is almost as bad as if they'd used a ten-shilling note.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

The modern army isn't royal because it's descended from Parliament's New Model Army, founded during the 1640s to fight the Royal armies. Also, it needs Parliament's approval to continue existing.

Regarding research fails: apparently in N. K. Jemisin's new book there's a scene where a Brit uses a pound note for something, which is almost as bad as if they'd used a ten-shilling note.

The idea of pound coins or similar is apparently so repellent to Americans that we refuse to acknowledge our own dollar coin ever existed. I forget that other countries realized long ago that small-denomination paper money is kind of stupid.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Small denomination paper money is important so homeless people don't know how much you have as you power walk past, eyes fixed on the horizon.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Quinton posted:

I appreciate this post. I'll dive into it tomorrow without rereading.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

The idea of pound coins or similar is apparently so repellent to Americans that we refuse to acknowledge our own dollar coin ever existed. I forget that other countries realized long ago that small-denomination paper money is kind of stupid.

I quite like the American dollar bill; having a few of them is more convenient than having dollar coins mount in your wallet. America's real failing is making all of its bills the exact same colour and size. Britain's failing is having its notes be too loving tall to fit properly in the average wallet. A failing shared by the US, UK and EU together is not abolishing the useless 1c and 2c coins.

Those are my thoughts on the now-defunct virus transmission vector of cash money. I just remembered I have a $50 bill in my wallet which has been there since March and which I'll presumably one day have to deposit directly back into the bank.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Australia is perfect it just needs to get rid of 5c coins.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

BurgerQuest posted:

Australia New Zealand is perfect it just needs to get got rid of 5c coins in 2006.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I just finished Tyrant; I think it's my favorite SFF book I've read this year. The previous books already hit a lot of things I really like in fantasy novels, but this one just absolutely nailed it.

E: looking back it might actually be my favorite since like the Stone Sky? Just a v good book.

I don't think this is really a spoiler, but just in case, it's hopeful in a way I think the other books weren't quite, and really validates that (at least some of!) the hurt in the previous books wasn't for nothing.

The way the various plots, and relationships between different characters, developed, were tested, and changed was just excellent. The world just keeps getting more interesting, and the plot is gripping (the fact that I'm writing this like 12 hours after starting the book is probably pretty clear evidence of that).

It was exactly the sequel I'd hoped for and more, my lord.

I also liked the acknowledgments section that goes into the realities of colonialism, eugenics, etc. - a very good alternate take on what a book should be acknowledging imo! It's very clear that those things were treated very thoughtfully and well from the book, and it was nice that the explicit link were made for readers.

Anyway, love the book GB, hope you can take a rest now that it's out. You've made something special!

foutre fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 12, 2020

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goddamnit

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The version I have is called Black Man.

It's about a genetically engineered Neanderthal type used as special forces in the terraforming of Mars, returned to earth to be a private detective sort of.

Same world as his most recent novel.

Gratuitous violence, sex the usual stuff.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

feedmegin posted:

And yeah her characters' dialogue is very noticeably American.

I had to stop reading after awhile because it's such a badly drawn depiction of English speech and mannerisms.

It's an American tourist's idea of an English person should talk and act like. Before they've ever visited.

Any Connie Willis story is likely to be as corny as poo poo. But it's particularly egregious here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The UK just needs to make the 5p coin copper and add a £5 coin and make the £1 and £2 coins golden again, none of this gold and silver together nonsense. Then we'd have proper copper, silver & gold in 1, 2 & 5 denominations. Small coin, large coin, polygonal coin in each if we're re-shaping some of them, round off the 20p and swap its size with the 10p.

Like loving D&D.