Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Platystemon posted:

U.S. regs actually specify a particular (imperial) bolt must be used to anchor seatbelts

metric equivalents are allowed now, so m12 bolts are common as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MomJeans420 posted:

Is adore close enough to love? I don't see how anyone looking into the back seat could have missed this, yet it got manufactured, shipped, delivered, and apparently used before anyone saw this:

https://twitter.com/ShelleyPollard/status/1292349797010153472?s=20

elon musks one child policy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Spatial posted:

Tripp the battery puncture whistleblower is posting like mad on his twitter if you want some entertainment.

https://twitter.com/tripp_martin/status/1293213001437384704

he also shared all his legal files on google drive, i posted some excerpts in the cspam thread
he blocked me lol but I can still see embeds

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Agile Vector posted:

elon musks one child policy

six for me, none for thee

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it looks like you can. see fig. 1 above

"who will stop me?"

- elon "elon musk" musk

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Woopsie dootsie, looks like our new Tesla randomly downloads anime and prowls the streets at night looking for fire engines, love the car though !

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Woopsie dootsie, looks like our new Tesla randomly downloads anime and prowls the streets at night looking for fire engines, love the car though !

i'm so ~RaNdoM~ lol!! - elon "tesla" munks

Weedle
May 31, 2006

time traveling back to 2011 or whatever and telling fans of the up-and-coming artist “grimes” that she’s going to have a baby with the paypal guy, who has become an extremely divisive and widely ridiculed public figure

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
five for one stock split
:tesla:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Explain this to me because Tesla stock always seems caught in fantasy land and I am an idiot at Stonks

I go out and buy 5 shares of TSLA stock tomorrow. Come Sept 1, I now own 25 shares but the price is, say, $300 each?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
correctamundo.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Should have saved it until just before the end of the quarter to get the words “tesla stock” echoing around people’s news feeds. What a world we live in, folks.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you're conspiracy minded it was announced because Martin Tripp (whistle blower) just dropped a bunch of confidential Tesla docs that arose from his litigation which I've heard absolutely prove fraud in Tesla's counting waste battery cells as finished inventory or putting them in cars. I have no idea how long ahead of time you have to plan for a stock split though, I would imagine there is some sort of process that takes some time. Also, I don't doubt he was wronged by Tesla and is most certainly getting hosed over, but that is not going to help his case and he comes across as very upset and unhinged on Twitter.

It is clever though for dealing with the retail investors. A year ago the stock was at $229, now you have a lot of people that bought it over $1000. There's not really any great reason for it to be that much higher now, in fact the growth narrative is dead, but now that the stock will be around $300 I feel like people will think the "floor" has to be $200 even though a 5:1 split at August 2019 levels makes it $45.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

If you're conspiracy minded it was announced because Martin Tripp (whistle blower) just dropped a bunch of confidential Tesla docs that arose from his litigation which I've heard absolutely prove fraud in Tesla's counting waste battery cells as finished inventory or putting them in cars. I have no idea how long ahead of time you have to plan for a stock split though, I would imagine there is some sort of process that takes some time. Also, I don't doubt he was wronged by Tesla and is most certainly getting hosed over, but that is not going to help his case and he comes across as very upset and unhinged on Twitter.

It is clever though for dealing with the retail investors. A year ago the stock was at $229, now you have a lot of people that bought it over $1000. There's not really any great reason for it to be that much higher now, in fact the growth narrative is dead, but now that the stock will be around $300 I feel like people will think the "floor" has to be $200 even though a 5:1 split at August 2019 levels makes it $45.

to be fair all elon tried to do was have him assassinated

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
he should be grateful to have the greatest American entrepreneur who ever lived try to assassinate him

normally you have to buy an expensive car for that

Vesi fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 12, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

yeah I read a load of his tweets and some of it does come across a bit unhinged. like for sure there is a core of validity but then there'll be some random 3 tweet burst of "DO YOU HEAR ME ELON? I KNOW ABOUT THE BATTERY CELL PARKING LOT SCAM WITH THE SHERIFF AND THE CIA, STOP TAPPING MY PHONE GRIMES!"

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Well they did intercept his cell phone (is it even legal to use a Stingray at a private company?), and try to swat him as OJ said. I had forgotten about the swatting, it has to be pretty surreal to know some fairly dumb billionaire tried to kill you and for some reason the media didn't cover it at all. Not surprising he wouldn't seem 100% relaxed on Twitter.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

they also had him followed by multiple PIs and knew where he was at all times. when the threat was called in they actually knew he was with his wife shopping but didn't tell the cops

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

tesla's security team comes from uber btw :nsa:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just stay away from fire trucks and they'll never find u

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also no threat was called in

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Spatial posted:

tesla's security team comes from uber btw :nsa:

the uber guys who were worried they had too much of a reputation for being unethical to get hired again.

so charmingly naive

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tesla up 15% today on news of stock split lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It makes sense tbh because it'll be more accessible to the bazinga crowd that way.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:thunk: if I spend my life savings on TSLA today, I'll have Stonksx5 in Octember! :homebrew:

:magemage: yes and since the stock was at $300 before and went to 1500, it'll surely get to $1000 in a few days meaning I'll cash out a millionaire!!!!!!!:allears:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so exactly how long can the market remain this irrational? I have a feeling the next step is to leverage some of that stock into buying actual companies that work [and probably ruining them in the process]

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

qirex posted:

so exactly how long can the market remain this irrational? I have a feeling the next step is to leverage some of that stock into buying actual companies that work [and probably ruining them in the process]

when all of the wealthy can safely cash out from the market so never?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the companies that work are real auto manufacturers and that means moving reasonably quickly and not killing people, two missing core fundamentals on the tesla assembly line

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

so exactly how long can the market remain this irrational?

"Longer than you can remain solvent" (as the kids say these days).

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe elon will buy a scooter company and add ludicrous mode while not including helmets

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Agile Vector posted:

maybe elon will buy a scooter company and add ludicrous mode while not including helmets

nope. elon will never invest in 2 wheeled vehicles because when he was 12 he almost rode a dirt bike under a dump truck. so MoToRcYcLeS aRe dAnGeRoUs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

qirex posted:

until they get a capital gains holiday.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
stock splits are meaningless because you can buy fractional shares now so i don't see the point except as a way to get tesla in the media today

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

stock splits are meaningless because you can buy fractional shares now so i don't see the point except as a way to get tesla in the media today

musk gets more shares than anyone that are no longer encumbered as leverage for current loans.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
how does that work? yes he has more shares now but they are worth correspondingly less. surely the loans are based on the dollar value of the shares, not simply the number of shares?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

nope. elon will never invest in 2 wheeled vehicles because when he was 12 he almost rode a dirt bike under a dump truck. so MoToRcYcLeS aRe dAnGeRoUs

I was going to ask if this is real but it's just dumb enough that it has to be

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how does that work? yes he has more shares now but they are worth correspondingly less. surely the loans are based on the dollar value of the shares, not simply the number of shares?

a lot of these lines of credit and such were established when tesla traded for a few hundred a piece. he'll now have 5x the shares that he had when that was originally done at the same or greater value. just gives him more capital to throw around.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

a lot of these lines of credit and such were established when tesla traded for a few hundred a piece. he'll now have 5x the shares that he had when that was originally done at the same or greater value. just gives him more capital to throw around.

that was already true. the individual count or price doesn't matter, it is count * price, which is the same before and after the split.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stock splits are entirely psychological, and it works because companies only do splits when they’re doing really well ergo Tesla is an unstoppable juggernaut now because they’re doing a stock split qed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

stock splits are entirely psychological, and it works because companies only do splits when they’re doing really well ergo Tesla is an unstoppable juggernaut now because they’re doing a stock split qed

I mean, the post has got Latin not once but twice in it so it must be correct?

:shrug: