Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Gah, the USA P-Bandai store still isn’t listing the GM Dominance/Gundam Strombringer FA. I’m sure it will show you eventually but still obnoxious.

It would have been cool to have that in time for the group build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tarquinn posted:

Well, just ordered my MG GM Sniper II to participate. Let's see if I will actually have it till the deadline. :v:

Me too! I just got mine off amazon though so it'll be here tomorrow.

Solkanar512 posted:

Gah, the USA P-Bandai store still isn’t listing the GM Dominance/Gundam Strombringer FA. I’m sure it will show you eventually but still obnoxious.

It would have been cool to have that in time for the group build.

Even if they listed it today I doubt it would be here before November, there's a huge lead time on all their preorders.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

What's the one that won't get reprints?

RG Zaku II ready for the group build.

Im working on this one right now. I started it in june along with the zaku 2 fz. Its been an oddly annoying kit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I have both legs and feet of the Messer built and primed. painting begins tomorrow.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I've posted about this before probably a year or so ago, and I'd like to think I've improved and it's less of an issue but:

Does anyone have advice for making any Vallejo acrylic color that I assume includes white pigment not speckle? I don't have issues with any other colors and they go on smooth, but I've been trying a foray into preshading by doing some highlighting with white (most of the kit is white grey) and I can focus the spray to a small area to fill in the "centers" of my part but inevitably 1) there are spots and speckles of white paint outside my main spray circle 2) I feel like it goes on much less smooth than other colors and 3) the worst offender, it dry tips so fast.

I'm going to use flow improver on my next spray but I just had to strip a part because I couldn't find a balance between going on slow and light (and dry, it feels like) and overspraying to where I got a smear. I've painted a few kits and I really like the Mecha Color and Model Air lines but I just have garbage luck with white.

I'm shooting at 20psi which is what I use for most colors.

Unrelated to my grouch I have a Grimoire abomination I might work on next or I have a GM GM and a GBN Guard Frame sitting around I might mess with.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zodack posted:

I'm shooting at 20psi which is what I use for most colors.

Crank that down a bunch if you're working in close, 12 psi tops.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Me too! I just got mine off amazon though so it'll be here tomorrow.

Well, if I order from my regional Amazon it is even more expensive than ordering from HLJ. :shrug:

Looking forward to your Sniper II custom.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MG Mobile Worker!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

OK I think I can now safely join everyone else in saying "gently caress zaku pipes".

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
A Jegan is a legit Grunt Suit, right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

A Jegan is a legit Grunt Suit, right?

Oh yeah.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm going to go to Kotobukiya HQ, find whoever decided to put pieces the size of an amoeba in the Ambient kit, that plug into the shoulders, and kick them square in the rear end

e: oh loving hell there's more on the legs

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Got a Serpent on the way for the grunt build, I recently took possession of an airbrush and I have some fun ideas that'll give me some needed practice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'll likely repurpose a Hi-Mock and an old broken other kit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

boxart confirms Harofitter is mass-produced, and therefore can be built for the challenge.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gripweed posted:

boxart confirms Harofitter is mass-produced, and therefore can be built for the challenge.

These things are so fwiggen adorable :3::kimchi::3:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I was just thinking about doing some airbrush practice on my MS: Haro last night and now maybe that I'm going to do the Jegan I should brush up on my airbrush skills!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gripweed posted:

yeah those are 100% fair game

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Midjack posted:

Try these guys, they're in Little Tokyo in LA: https://animejungle.net/gundam-build-divers-high-grade-1-144-scale-model-kit-oz-06ms-mmpd-n-leo-npd/

Send me a PM if you get stuck.

Much obliged for this! The shipping is kinda rough, but that's the case everywhere these days

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Think the Prototype Dom counts as a grunt?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Think the Prototype Dom counts as a grunt?

Normal Dom counts imo. Sure it was introduced to the series with ace pilots, but after that it was a mass produced unit right?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Anyone do any 3d printing to compliment their hobby? Anycubic Photon is like 50% at the moment and it seems like it would be useful for printing things for dioramas or spare parts. I know virtually nothing about 3d printing and have seen warnings against resin for beginners because, well, it's resin. But also 169 bucks for what it can churn out seems like chump change compared to other models I've searched.

Null of Undefined posted:

Normal Dom counts imo. Sure it was introduced to the series with ace pilots, but after that it was a mass produced unit right?

I just finished 0079 and if I'm remembering right after the Black Tri-Stars show up in the Doms, which are at that point new, for the rest of the run the Dom is a pretty common suit you see all over the place. I remember there being a lot of them at A Baoa Qu

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Null of Undefined posted:

I ask because I have a Prototype Dom in my backlog!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Zodack posted:

Anyone do any 3d printing to compliment their hobby? Anycubic Photon is like 50% at the moment and it seems like it would be useful for printing things for dioramas or spare parts. I know virtually nothing about 3d printing and have seen warnings against resin for beginners because, well, it's resin. But also 169 bucks for what it can churn out seems like chump change compared to other models I've searched.

I tried some things with my FDM printer but it's very rough and needs a lot of work after the fact to smooth out imperfections.

I'd love to get a resin printer like the photon, but I don't have anywhere I could use it withought a lot of work for ventilation of fumes.

Technically I could drop it outside on a table when I want to use it but my big boofgead dogs would probably knock the table and cause prints to fail.

There's been a few reddit posts of people using resin printers though and the results are pretty good.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

BizarroAzrael posted:

As an impartial person not partaking of this contest, and not affiliated with those running it in any way, you have my blessing.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I want to get a VOTOMs kit, probably a scopedog. Has anyone built any good votoms kits? I was thinking of getting the equivalent of an hg or rg.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

The Bandai 1:24 kit is probably my favorite model I've built yet but it's MG sized. I can't recommend it enough.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm afraid we've been beaten to the best customized grunt suit.

https://twitter.com/555Bancha/status/1293160865013743616

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

A weapon to surpass the Saku!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

grassy gnoll posted:

Reminds me less of a GM and more of a Buick

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I built a little 0 Gundam today. :3:

Detailing is fairly nice for an SD kit. Only thing that really bugged me is that its v-fin is molded in yellow instead of white, so there are stickers you're supposed to put on it. I used a Gundam marker instead and I think it looks alright. Also splashed a little paint on the beam saber and shield, since they're both molded in a single color of plastic.

Of course, the best part are the GN particle wing effects, which also support the Gundam in the (included!) stand. I will fully admit that this is literally the entire reason I bought the kit.

It also has a tiny GN drive inside which is another neat detail for an SD kit, and not too many stickers, imo.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

So while technically it isn't, if youre talking about the ng prototype dom you get an arbitrary exception just because I love nogrades and also bc there are no prizes this is just for fun so who cares tbh.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I bought my first P Bandai kit this morning, what's the appropriate amount of shame I should be feeling right now? :ohdear:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Sykic posted:

I bought my first P Bandai kit this morning, what's the appropriate amount of shame I should be feeling right now? :ohdear:

As long as you've learned your lesson from doing it, it's okay. Even I fell into the trap once.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

no shame in getting bandais wort over the cutecube

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bandai's Tallgeese III looks better then the Dragon Momoko version and there's a new printing coming out, so I bought that.

Also bought the V2 Assault buster expansion because come on, it's the v2 assault buster.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What's that Japanese Twitter account what shows off cool custom gunplas? Or something similar. Weird poo poo beyond painting and scoring more lines into poo poo. I keep thinking about starting to customize my gunplas and I need a good shot of "you will never be this good so don't even try" to keep me from spending money on tools. I'm also trying to figure out how I could give a gundam a long serpentlike tail, something more substantial than the Tallgeese/Epyon power-whip thing which I've seen used before. My first thought is 4-6 Cielnova legs but I can't figure out how to link them.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Diet Poison posted:

I'm also trying to figure out how I could give a gundam a long serpentlike tail, something more substantial than the Tallgeese/Epyon power-whip thing which I've seen used before. My first thought is 4-6 Cielnova legs but I can't figure out how to link them.

You could try and repurpose Kotobukiya's Heavy Weapon Unit MH14 "Beastmaster Sword" into a tail. They're No Grade since it's Koto but Heavy Weapon Units are generally around MG scale, so it would be pretty long.

mllaneza posted:

Crank that down a bunch if you're working in close, 12 psi tops.

This works amazingly for about ten seconds and then even with two drops of Airbush Flow Improver, which I believe is a drying retardant, I still have terrible dry tip, speckle, and block blockage. I have to clean the nozzle and force air through to clear my airway again. This happens with primer, too, but that stuff dries faster and thicker than regular paint.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Make a tail out of Acguy arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zodack posted:

This works amazingly for about ten seconds and then even with two drops of Airbush Flow Improver, which I believe is a drying retardant, I still have terrible dry tip, speckle, and block blockage. I have to clean the nozzle and force air through to clear my airway again. This happens with primer, too, but that stuff dries faster and thicker than regular paint.

Then go as low as you can and work the hell out of your pulse technique. Spray paint, back off, pulse air to help it dry, go back in for a little more, repeat.