Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

I like that second to last panel of Denji just galaxy brain looking at the dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I dare someone to say Makima is bad after this chapter. Look at all those good boys who love her.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ethiser posted:

I dare someone to say Makima is bad after this chapter. Look at all those good boys who love her.

What if they're actually humans and Denji only perceives them as dogs???

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

noooo dude i saw the dogs and i can't stop thinking about fire punch lmfao

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I did love the omake though, DEFEATED BY WEIRDNESS AND LIES!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this is supposed to be a tender hearted scene but uhh that request

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd completely forgotten about Himeno, I wonder if Denji had too. :v:

Ethiser posted:

Makima definitely eats puppies

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

noooo dude i saw the dogs and i can't stop thinking about fire punch lmfao

I completely forget what happened with that, what happened with that?

Fabricated posted:

Isn't it kind of amazing that Makima always seems to show up when Denji is at his most uncertain?

Crazy coincidence, huh?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

this is supposed to be a tender hearted scene but uhh that request

dont kinkshame

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chainsaw Man is such a good manga, you guys

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Makima likes dogs because they are unflinchingly loyal.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Makima likes dogs because they are unflinchingly loyal.

But they aren’t loyal because they’re scared of crossing you or because you had to use magic to force them to be. Which seems to be part of why she likes Denji so much.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Isn't it kind of amazing that Makima always seems to show up when Denji is at his most uncertain?
It's all a part of her plaaaaaaaaaaan. Banging him will unleash the third impact. :bernin:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

dont kinkshame

:hmmyes:

normally for sure but given Denji's current mental state that'd be a bit emotionally manipulative

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

It's all a part of her plaaaaaaaaaaan. Banging him will unleash the third impact. :bernin:

Makima will finally be thwarted by chris hanson.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I did love the omake though, DEFEATED BY WEIRDNESS AND LIES!

Kobeni managed to get out of the bureau alive and mostly well. This affront to the laws of nature must be punished.

Also, the contrast here is kind of hilarious.

Chapter 75: Makima is the Control Devil, a monster so terrible that 300 million years of life is a minor sacrifice in comparison to the necessity of killing her.

Chapter 80: Makima goes home to give her dogs belly scritches while making goofy dog voices to pretend like they're talking.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Kobeni managed to get out of the bureau alive and mostly well. This affront to the laws of nature must be punished.

Don't jinx it.

There are only like 5 characters still alive at this point, so if this is what it takes to keep her alive I'll be happy with it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LostRook posted:

Don't jinx it.

There are only like 5 characters still alive at this point, so if this is what it takes to keep her alive I'll be happy with it.

Kobeni only agreeing to show up for bonus content is one of the smartest things anyone in this manga has ever done.

As for this chapter, thinking about it, seems like Makima both wanted and expected Denji to ask for sex. Which is kind of skeevy!

But it's also interesting since it seems like she wanted him to ask for it.

I think what Makima wants is an equal. She's trying to help Denji develop as a person, which is why she's happy when he does things like ditch her for Power, and why he doesn't get in trouble for trying to run away with Reze. She likes her dogs because they like her without being forced into it, but they're still, well, dogs. You can't talk about movies with dogs, you can't do romance, you're pretty limited.

Denji could offer something different. Denji's human. So when he tries to run away from all that responsibility due to his pain... Makima's probably not happy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I guess when Future Devil showed Aki that Denji killed Power it was later, which is when he'll go full chainsaw and open the door. If even the Gun devil couldn't trigger that it's gotta be something big. Maybe Makima forces him to kill Power?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hmmm, Denji feels down and suddenly Makima shows up to cheer him up again. Sounds familiar. Such an innocent maiden, always coming to Denji's aid.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Anyone else see how Makima is drawn in super sharp focus with her eyes as perfect concentric circles whenever she is manupalative?
And how her eyes sorta resemble a hypnosis spiral?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ethiser posted:

Paul von Oberstein, one of the most dastardly characters in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, keeps a dog. (I love him)

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Oh no Makima has good taste in dogs, and she named them all with a good convention. She's unhateable to me now. That's way to powerful.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

RatHat posted:

So I guess when Future Devil showed Aki that Denji killed Power it was later, which is when he'll go full chainsaw and open the door. If even the Gun devil couldn't trigger that it's gotta be something big. Maybe Makima forces him to kill Power?

Either that or the Future Devil was lying. After all, Future Devil showing him that specific vision was the catalyst that got Aki killed.

Theme of ignorance really strong these past chapters. Kishibe choosing to not take off his blindfold, Aki getting too close to Makima's secrets and dying for it, Denji trying pretend that Gun-Aki wasn't actually Aki (and failing), and now Denji choosing to become another one of Makima's pawns. Makima doesn't seem to like his answer though

Also, its cool that when you form a contract with a devil, it seems that you're only signing your physical body away and the human soul or whatever is not involved. Makima being able to manipulate corpses is such an overpowered ability. It makes sense that Aki was the corpse that the Gun Devil chose to jump into; I'm sure there was almost nothing left of the other bodies due to the price of the contract for such a massive initial attack. Aki's contract with the Future Devil had no immediate consequences so he was pretty much untouched except for a bullet hole.

White Rock posted:

Anyone else see how Makima is drawn in super sharp focus with her eyes as perfect concentric circles whenever she is manupalative?

Future Devil has similar looking eyes

yum fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 8, 2020

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I read all chapters today

This poo poo is wild and I love it

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe Makima just really likes dogs.

Unconditional love, no manipulation required. It fits right in with a bunch of the other little snatches we see of her just being... a person. Hobbies, friends, that whole thing.

There could be something sketchy, depending on how Denji's request pans out, but assuming Makima does her usual "Okay, let's talk through this, Denji." rather than something extra-weird, (and the look on her face isn't enthusiastic for Denji's request) then it seems safer for the moment to assume it's just a personal trait.

That said, it's nice of Fujimoto to confirm that Makima can snuggle a puppy and people's first reaction is to wonder what evil scheme that ties into.

I actually found it pretty odd that makima's dogs were completely untrained like they wer just jumping allover denji and poo poo not what you'd expect of the controll devil.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
comic is good, remarkable cartooning in this one

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The official translation is up now.

This panel stuck out to me. It's like Denji reflexively tried to activate his chainsaw arm to attack Makima.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Squidster posted:

The official translation is up now.

This panel stuck out to me. It's like Denji reflexively tried to activate his chainsaw arm to attack Makima.

Funny, I didn't really interpret the scene that way. I think he started crying because of all the complicated emotions, and worried that Makima would think he wasn't happy to visit or something. Alternatively, maybe he was worried she'd think he was coming on to her or something by cuddling up

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

CodfishCartographer posted:

Funny, I didn't really interpret the scene that way. I think he started crying because of all the complicated emotions, and worried that Makima would think he wasn't happy to visit or something. Alternatively, maybe he was worried she'd think he was coming on to her or something by cuddling up
Could be! To me it looks like a clenched fist and one hand reaching for his heart chain. But it could just as easily be him rubbing his eyes.

EDIT: Chainsaw Man cosplay goes wrong

Article

Squidster fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 10, 2020

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That seems more like a Resident Evil 7 cosplay tbh

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

White Rock posted:

Didn't the US president explicitly say in one of the previous chapters that Makima is the control devil? That would explain why her eyes are the same as all the other devils we see, and her manipulating everybody. It also kinda explains the dogs. Dogs are pretty eager to please and thus easy to control.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Didn't the US president explicitly say in one of the previous chapters that Makima is the control devil? That would explain why her eyes are the same as all the other devils we see, and her manipulating everybody. It also kinda explains the dogs. Dogs are pretty eager to please and thus easy to control.

Or that they don't need to be controlled. Elfgames noted that Makima's dogs were awfully rowdy, which seems odd if she's obsessed with running every minute detail.

Makima seems to like things (movies, her dogs, Denji) where she can know that she'll be safe and accomplish her general objectives without forcing them.

Which, of course, makes all the "EVERYTHING that happens is Makima's manipulations! Everything!" seem even more of a stretch.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure a lot of the fear of Makima comes from the warranted idea that she can do just about anything she wants to. Also, it seems like the idea that is being teased itt of her seeking out things she either can't or doesn't have to command kind of implies she resents her own powers and that's a weird guess for the very manifestation of Fear of Control.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This week's chapter of Me & Roboco included a bit about Chainsaw Man

I'd also recommend reading Me & Roboco because it's hilarious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BFC posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of the fear of Makima comes from the warranted idea that she can do just about anything she wants to. Also, it seems like the idea that is being teased itt of her seeking out things she either can't or doesn't have to command kind of implies she resents her own powers and that's a weird guess for the very manifestation of Fear of Control.

I mean, it's not like it's unprecedented. Angel's pretty down on his powers, after all.

But I don't think it goes to the point of resentment. Makima seems comfortable with using her powers. It's just that she likes it more when she doesn't have to.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Denji's just a Stooges fan, and well that's fine with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gsWt7ey6bo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah, this is really obviously what's going on. It doesn't make any sense for him to be reflexively trying to activate his chainsaw, and he is very obviously emotionally distraught and crying but does't want her to see it (so he's covering his face).

Also, isn't there only a chainsaw cord thing in his chest?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BFC posted:

What if it's fear of having control, like responsibility?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Makima is your parents telling you to eat your vegetables and Trump the President of the USA don't wanna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Controlling everything takes effort, and Makima is lazy.