Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sockser posted:

I planted too many cherry tomatoes and not enough regular tomatoes and now I am suffering for my folly

Also, I left my tomatoes alone for a bit too long and weaving them through the trellis got away from me

https://twitter.com/RottenTunaGames/status/1291761401917300737?s=20

just let them fall into your gutter and rot up there it will be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm jealous of you long growing season types :( My indeterminates are getting to about 6 feet tall but my first frost date is September 7 so I've stopped trimming/single stemming them.

I wanted them to get to 8 feet t_t

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sockser posted:

I planted too many cherry tomatoes and not enough regular tomatoes and now I am suffering for my folly

Also, I left my tomatoes alone for a bit too long and weaving them through the trellis got away from me

https://twitter.com/RottenTunaGames/status/1291761401917300737?s=20

I’m stealing that plan for your trellis tunnels, that’s loving awesome.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CommonShore posted:

I'm jealous of you long growing season types :( My indeterminates are getting to about 6 feet tall but my first frost date is September 7 so I've stopped trimming/single stemming them.

I wanted them to get to 8 feet t_t

Coldframes, hotbeds and hoop houses will easily extend your growing season!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Most of my tomatoes are dead. They have such a hard time here. We even tried putting them in pots with fresh soil but they still got blighted.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Most of my tomatoes are dead. They have such a hard time here. We even tried putting them in pots with fresh soil but they still got blighted.
Bacterial wilt got the last of mine a few weeks ago :negative:

I planted early I think-next year I think I'll aim for early/mid march, and I'm going to try grafting them onto eggplant rootstock which is supposed to help. I have few enough I can cover them if we get a late frost. Here you can have another tomato season in Sept/October (really until frost Decemberish, but they slow down once it really cools off in November), but that requires going outside and planting new tomatoes in July/August and gently caress that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommonShore posted:

my first frost date is September 7

wtf it’s still summer for two weeks

Do you have problems with polar bears eating your tomatoes?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Solkanar512 posted:

Coldframes, hotbeds and hoop houses will easily extend your growing season!

I'm going to put a bit of a cold cover on my tomatoes this September while things finish off but I'm moving (to a bigger garden) so my attention to the old garden is going to decrease.

Platystemon posted:

wtf it’s still summer for two weeks

Do you have problems with polar bears eating your tomatoes?

No but I've had snowshoe hares eat my tulips.

I've never wanted to be a youtuber but the complete lack of Zone 3 gardening info out there has me thinking about making a channel for documenting my new garden's planning and development.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Land I'm going to try grafting them onto eggplant rootstock which is supposed to help.

Lmao I'm so here for this, this is approaching getting weird territory for sure.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lmao I'm so here for this, this is approaching getting weird territory for sure.

They’re both nightshades and have similar requirements. It’s not uncommon to be able to graft different plants together. It’s done with fruit trees plenty too.

I’m not sure how much better they’ll be for resistance, but I’d sure start by selecting tomato types that are resistant to wilt. There are enough out there, but I doubt most of them are heirlooms.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Grafted tomato plants are definitely a thing in the commercial world. There's several kinds of very resilient tomato rootstock you can get, I've also seen them grafted to potato and to eggplant as well. They're a surprisingly tough plant, I've always been curious if I could see higher yield in less space trying it out.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I’ve got something special for you.

CommonShore posted:

I'm going to put a bit of a cold cover on my tomatoes this September while things finish off but I'm moving (to a bigger garden) so my attention to the old garden is going to decrease.

You should totally build a hotbed in your new garden if you have access to manure or an outdoor plug, a south facing area and $2-300. If you build it deep or even into the ground (depending on drainage), you’ll easily add 4-8 weeks on either end of your growing season depending on what you’re growing.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 11, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

What this rules

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Solkanar512 posted:

I’ve got something special for you.

You should totally build a hotbed in your new garden if you have access to manure or an outdoor plug, a south facing area and $2-300. If you build it deep or even into the ground (depending on drainage), you’ll easily add 4-8 weeks on either end of your growing season depending on what you’re growing.

That's definitely in the 3 year plan. I actually have access to all of those things, but this fall my project is to make a gigantic overwinter compost heap from my miniature donkey manure and use my current compost heap and moving boxes for starting no-dig fall plantings of garlic and spinach.

I've actually been thinking about making something of a light polytunnel for seedlings or smaller plants on top of my septic field. I've done zero research on this so far, but it seems like a good source of extra heat.

Look at this angry fellow I found yesterday

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

They’re both nightshades and have similar requirements. It’s not uncommon to be able to graft different plants together. It’s done with fruit trees plenty too.

I’m not sure how much better they’ll be for resistance, but I’d sure start by selecting tomato types that are resistant to wilt. There are enough out there, but I doubt most of them are heirlooms.
The problem as I understand it is there are basically no good eating tomatoes that are resistant to southern bacterial wilt. It took down my better boys as fast as the Cherokee Purples. There are some resistant tomatoes rootstocks but I don’t think they make very good tomatoes. It took the longest to get my Juliet? Plum tomatoes, but they were on a different row and planted a little later. I probably should have pulled some things earlier to stop the spread, but I didn’t realize how bad it would get and I just wanted those last few tomatoes. It doesn’t seem to have affected any of my eggplants (regular black globe and Japanese), even though they are theoretically susceptible too. Eggplants do seem much tougher and healthier generally in my climate though, so idk.

All the soil around those tomatoes is theoretically infected now, so definitely not planting nightshades in those areas again. Hopefully planting resistant rootstock varieties will let me keep planting in other areas, and maybe eventually reclaim the infected zone.

Here is the article that got me interested and I’m gonna try it this winter I guess. Seems easy enough to build a little PVC box to do the grafting in.
https://www.lsuagcenter.com/~/media...20healthpdf.pdf

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CommonShore posted:

That's definitely in the 3 year plan. I actually have access to all of those things, but this fall my project is to make a gigantic overwinter compost heap from my miniature donkey manure and use my current compost heap and moving boxes for starting no-dig fall plantings of garlic and spinach.

I've actually been thinking about making something of a light polytunnel for seedlings or smaller plants on top of my septic field. I've done zero research on this so far, but it seems like a good source of extra heat.

Look at this angry fellow I found yesterday

I won’t personally believe that you have a miniature donkey until you post an adorable picture. :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Solkanar512 posted:

I won’t personally believe that you have a miniature donkey until you post an adorable picture. :colbert:

I don't have a miniature donkey. My friends' parents run a donkey rescue and have foster donkeys, which include miniatures. I gave them a play house a few years ago to get it out of my yard and they are happy to give me as much donkey poop and straw bedding as I'm willing to haul away. It's unclear who was doing the favour for whom in either case.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CommonShore posted:

I don't have a miniature donkey. My friends' parents run a donkey rescue and have foster donkeys, which include miniatures. I gave them a play house a few years ago to get it out of my yard and they are happy to give me as much donkey poop and straw bedding as I'm willing to haul away. It's unclear who was doing the favour for whom in either case.

That is so loving cool!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The problem as I understand it is there are basically no good eating tomatoes that are resistant to southern bacterial wilt. It took down my better boys as fast as the Cherokee Purples. There are some resistant tomatoes rootstocks but I don’t think they make very good tomatoes. It took the longest to get my Juliet? Plum tomatoes, but they were on a different row and planted a little later. I probably should have pulled some things earlier to stop the spread, but I didn’t realize how bad it would get and I just wanted those last few tomatoes. It doesn’t seem to have affected any of my eggplants (regular black globe and Japanese), even though they are theoretically susceptible too. Eggplants do seem much tougher and healthier generally in my climate though, so idk.

All the soil around those tomatoes is theoretically infected now, so definitely not planting nightshades in those areas again. Hopefully planting resistant rootstock varieties will let me keep planting in other areas, and maybe eventually reclaim the infected zone.

Here is the article that got me interested and I’m gonna try it this winter I guess. Seems easy enough to build a little PVC box to do the grafting in.
https://www.lsuagcenter.com/~/media...20healthpdf.pdf

Fair enough. I don't know much about southern wilt issues. Your climate is definitely perfect for growing bacteria, so it doesn't really surprise me that it's everywhere. Grafting isn't so difficult once you get the hang of it and that looks like a good resource doc for rootstock selection. Grafting itself is a little delicate and requires some dexterity, but if you can't build that PVC box, I'm quitting the internet. Just use a pvc cutter, so much less headache than cleaning up a saw cut.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommonShore posted:

then get your friend to send you a pic of the miniature donkey that pooped your compost, Jesus Christ dude

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It's bitter melon o'clock.

Looks like about two dozen are going to come ripe around the same time. I see a lot of goya champuru in my future.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SubG posted:

Looks like about two dozen are going to come ripe around the same time. I see a lot of goya champuru in my future.

Nah dude, GOYA’s been cancelled. Remember?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok Comboomer posted:

then get your friend to send you a pic of the miniature donkey that pooped your compost, Jesus Christ dude

Eventually

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jhet posted:

People have even made real life tomacco from the simpsons.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jhet posted:

I actually learned that in this thread a year or two ago, I just had mentioned to Kaiser schnitzel in the woodworking discord that I liked weird or out of the ordinary stuff and I know they are capable of taking things further than most (see their current chair thread) so I was excited to see it. My chops are totally not at the level of a lot of pros in here so I'm just trying to soak it all up

Oh yea, I'm definitely into it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to hypothesize that an effective way to approach pomato is to use cuttings taken from pruning tomatoes. Just for funzies I stuck some of my extra stems into the ground and they're growing. Maybe they would have done even better had I grafted them to my potatoes!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
From what I’ve read, it’s a novelty. On the same acreage, you’d get more and tastier fruits/tubers if you just planted half tomatoes and half potatoes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm pretty happy with that

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

All these storms are making it hard to keep these things from cracking.

Edit:

Two of the mystery peppers hopped off the ride early. I'm leaning towards ghost pepper just from the shape but there is literally zero chinense smell to them. I've bought ghost peppers from the farmer's market before that smelled similar and ended up being a dark purple color and tasting like paper mache. Time will tell I guess. Gave them a good feed and some water.

mischief fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 13, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The cracks are flavor

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mischief posted:

Edit:

Two of the mystery peppers hopped off the ride early. I'm leaning towards ghost pepper just from the shape but there is literally zero chinense smell to them. I've bought ghost peppers from the farmer's market before that smelled similar and ended up being a dark purple color and tasting like paper mache. Time will tell I guess. Gave them a good feed and some water.

What is up with the pepper on the left? Is that blossom end rot? Should I fertilize? All my pepper have been doing that and idk what the deal is. My peppers (just regular bell peppers) have not been a great success this year.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What is up with the pepper on the left? Is that blossom end rot? Should I fertilize? All my pepper have been doing that and idk what the deal is. My peppers (just regular bell peppers) have not been a great success this year.

It happened to mine, I added some calcium fertilizer, and it stopped happening. I was using new potting soil - apparently it just doesn't have what it takes to support pepper development.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had some problem with blossom-end rot last year and this year I threw a sprinkle of blood and bone meal into every pepper or tomato transplant hole and things are going swimmingly this year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s caused by calcium deficiency, and the solution isn’t always “supplement calcium”, but sometimes it is. It can be caused by inconsistent watering, for example.

Gypsum is a good source of calcium that doesn’t affect soil acidity.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ I use blood meal at planting and regular watering helps keep the BER at bay for me. Still doesn't seem to always keep it from the tomatoes, but it works on the peppers.

mischief posted:

Edit:

Those look closer to a habanero type rather than a ghost pepper. Those are more waxy looking and smooth than a ghost and not as long and pointed and wrinkly. Both are C. chinense, but just from outside appearance and not flavor, that's what it looks like to me. There are a ton of habanero varities too, so that doesn't entirely narrow it down, but it'll place it on the hot side of things still. I have a Caribbean Red (habanero) variety that puts out fruit that looks like those, but turns bright red when ripe and not yellow.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's end rot, that's why it fell off the plant I assume. All the other ones looked healthy, who knows? They're kinda back in a corner so they haven't been getting a lot of attention.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Jan posted:

I'm losing the war against spider mites evil little fuckers. :smith:

Since they like hot, dry conditions, and one of the best ways to get rid of them is to simply mechanically spray them off the plants, I've taken to dousing my tomato plants whenever I water them, on top of watering the pot. Then I've been following this with liberal application of neem oil spray once a week. It seems to help momentarily, then 3-4 days later there's more than ever before.

Unfortunately, all the plants on our street are infested with these useless parasites, if you look at any bush you'll find them crawling all over with tons of visible webbing. So no matter how hard I work to keep them off my plants, they'll just come right back next time it's windy. And by that same token, I imagine if I were to unleash predatory mites or spider mite destroyers, they'd probably peace out to the places where there's more food. Sigh.

Dont give up!! Diatomaceous earth powder will shred them--and most other pests--to pieces. I have two pepper plants that were infested with aphids and I just covered the whole plants with the stuff and within 24 hours they went from hundreds to less than 10. Neem oil + soap didnt do poo poo. It's non toxic, cheap and easily available. Wear a mask/respirator when using it though, it'll mess your lungs up with prolonged exposure.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Here's a cool tip I learned for anyone growing in containers that aren't draining quick enough. No need to re-pot or put in a smaller container, just pop a cloth of some kind in the bottom and it'll wick any perched water right out so you can water daily again.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

Here's a cool tip I learned for anyone growing in containers that aren't draining quick enough. No need to re-pot or put in a smaller container, just pop a cloth of some kind in the bottom and it'll wick any perched water right out so you can water daily again.

This is also a pro tip for emptying saucers on plants that are too heavy to easily move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8 more quarts ready for puttin up. This was only two days of harvest. I think I'm in trouble.